Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 791765 times)

Offline Spiker

Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #1100 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 03:57:18 »
Hello, thanks for welcoming us and sharing important things about the forum.

Offline Clarar1

« Reply #1101 on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 23:44:04 »
Hello all guys
I new join this forum site.
Thank you so much all for this welcome.

Offline i_knead_data

« Reply #1102 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 06:12:07 »
Hey everyone! Looking forward to learning more ways on how I can hyper-fixate anything related to keyboards.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #1103 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 08:47:19 »
Hey everyone! Looking forward to learning more ways on how I can hyper-fixate anything related to keyboards.

A brave goal.

Very... very brave...
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #1104 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 21:22:59 »

Just don't get too deep where you want to buy expensive kustoms and vint stuff like me...

Welcome to geekhack too

Offline IbrahimXXX

« Reply #1105 on: Sun, 01 October 2023, 02:49:57 »
Greetings to everyone on this forum! Planning to buy myself one of the best keyboards in the world!

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1106 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 07:00:36 »
Greetings to everyone on this forum! Planning to buy myself one of the best keyboards in the world!

you mean the IBM 3276, right?  :D
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1107 on: Mon, 02 October 2023, 17:24:31 »

That's a very subjective thing but hopefully you can find the right board for you, if you want to experience new boards go to a meetup and try them out, now know a lot of my preferences because of that.

or just buy a beamspring lol

Offline tarrybrad

« Reply #1108 on: Thu, 12 October 2023, 01:57:07 »
Hi everyone, my name is Tarry and looking forward suggestions and learn about the best keyboard switches, and also get perfect one for own use... Thanks!

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1109 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 23:52:56 »
Hi everyone, my name is Tarry and looking forward suggestions and learn about the best keyboard switches, and also get perfect one for own use... Thanks!

Welcome to geekhack. The best way to find your perfect switch is either by going to meetups or by getting some switch testers. And there really is no best switch.

If you want a personal recommendation to start I would say modding a batch of gateron yellows (break them in, lube them, I like 205g0 for them, film if the housings need it) that are spring swapped with 62g medium tx springs (lubed with an oil, and the weight is purely a preference thing) would be great, as they are cheap and definitely punch their weight.

Offline dipincoke

« Reply #1110 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 06:58:54 »
hello, thanks for welcoming, i love artisan keycap and im start to get broke my moneys are gone :p :p :p

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1111 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 07:42:07 »
hello, thanks for welcoming, i love artisan keycap and im start to get broke my moneys are gone :p :p :p

why are u buying more  :'(

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1112 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 17:41:33 »
why are u buying more  :'(

Cause resin cool...

Jokes aside please don't go broke over resin, I know cool cap cool but still.

Offline Wood Keyboards?

« Reply #1113 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 17:44:29 »
Hello everyone I am curious what are some problems you all face when you are starting your keyboard journey? I am just starting mine.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1114 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 17:57:02 »
Hello everyone I am curious what are some problems you all face when you are starting your keyboard journey? I am just starting mine.

Hello :)

My personal text is the main thing LOL.

Also finding out that something you really like is basically unobtainable. Happened to me a bit.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1115 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 08:18:20 »

Having money.

then if you figure out a solution that problem you have a new problem

not spending all of your money...

Offline 12voltgoalie

« Reply #1116 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 08:39:39 »
Hi all. glad to be here

Ive been a gamer since the early 90s and have been in the IT field for a decent amount of time now.

I decided to start getting more in depth with mechanical keyboards and I am addicted now.

Some days i think building keyboards can be just as fun if not more fun than even gaming with them.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1117 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 02:35:08 »
Hi all. glad to be here

Ive been a gamer since the early 90s and have been in the IT field for a decent amount of time now.

I decided to start getting more in depth with mechanical keyboards and I am addicted now.

Some days i think building keyboards can be just as fun if not more fun than even gaming with them.

Welcome to geekhack :)

What keyboard are you using right now?

Offline 12voltgoalie

« Reply #1118 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 07:40:31 »
Hi all. glad to be here

What keyboard are you using right now?

I hit the hobby pretty hard and have a few

3x gmmk2
cherry mx clears on all 3
for keycaps
gmk retrowave
gmk laser
gmk vaporwave

2x asus rog strix flare 2 animate
cherry mx clears with kromekeycaps
durock t1 with drop skylights on the other one

asus rog scope 2
Zealios v2
gmk red dragon caps

epomaker rt100
ws silent tactile
gmk dmg3 caps for that one.

other caps i have not being used:
gmk boba fett
gmk underworld (ordered group buy)
piifox cyberpunk
akko bred
EPBT Miami Nights
MW Heresy

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1119 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 22:09:09 »

3x gmmk2
for keycaps
gmk retrowave
gmk laser
gmk vaporwave

asus rog scope 2
Zealios v2
gmk red dragon caps

epomaker rt100
ws silent tactile

gmk boba fett
piifox cyberpunk
akko bred
EPBT Miami Nights
MW Heresy

ah ok, do you have a picture of everything.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1120 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 06:42:57 »
Hi all. glad to be here

not trying to make you feel like a fossil, but... did you have any experience with cool vintage keyboards back in the 90s?

Offline 12voltgoalie

« Reply #1121 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 08:49:43 »
Hi all. glad to be here

not trying to make you feel like a fossil, but... did you have any experience with cool vintage keyboards back in the 90s?

I didn't get into anything too cool back in the 90s. My parents were kind of lame and used to hog the computer a lot, but I still have our IBM model M (grey logo) keyboard build date Aug30 1989. It was my first keyboard I got in 1992.  Found it cleaning my parents attic. 

3x gmmk2
for keycaps
gmk retrowave
gmk laser
gmk vaporwave

asus rog scope 2
Zealios v2
gmk red dragon caps

epomaker rt100
ws silent tactile

gmk boba fett
piifox cyberpunk
akko bred
EPBT Miami Nights
MW Heresy

ah ok, do you have a picture of everything.

Ill try to grab some pictures of my stuff. Its scattered all over my home office, work offices + data center.

Offline russeree

• Creator of NyanOS | Nyan Keys
« Reply #1122 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 17:11:41 »
Hey, thanks for letting me join this community! Very excited to talk and banter amongst other keyboard enthusiasts!
Nyan KeysMech keyboard
Nyan OSOperating System / Firmware

Offline leck

« Reply #1123 on: Fri, 29 December 2023, 00:28:47 »
Hi everyone, nice to meet you.
I'm 'one of those' who uses ISO-ES with an Ñ  ;D
I also sculpt as a form of hobby so at some point I may try to sculpt keycaps  :thumb:

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1124 on: Sat, 30 December 2023, 01:15:03 »
Hi everyone, nice to meet you.
I'm 'one of those' who uses ISO-ES with an Ñ  ;D
I also sculpt as a form of hobby so at some point I may try to sculpt keycaps  :thumb:

ISO-ES is sadly mis represented in keysets, pretty niche sadly.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121944.0# - this set does have ISO-ES Support if you need a set (but it may not have some of the kitting you may need, but I'm pretty sure it's wob so you could get the kitting elsewhere)

Offline Zax

« Reply #1125 on: Mon, 01 January 2024, 10:37:07 »
Hello Guys, nice seeing you here
I've been in this hobby a few years,
I got 2 modified pre-builts, and 1 keyboard that I built myself :D

Offline argentstonecutter

• Greetings, programs!
« Reply #1126 on: Mon, 01 January 2024, 17:02:31 »
Is there a cure for the "spend all money on keyboards" syndrome?

Mrs Argent thinks I've already spent too much on keyboards. And I haven't even bought an expensive one yet.

Offline bfigure8

« Reply #1127 on: Sun, 14 January 2024, 07:13:48 »
Hi everyone, have been into custom keyboard for some time now. Currently using 2 Mode Eighties as daily drivers - a 2020 Lotus at home and a 2022 E-White in the office.
Have tried both tactile and linear switches but I am definitely in the tactile camp. Worked through Holy Pandas, Boba U4Ts, Durock T1s and even made my own Holy Trash Pandas frankenswitching YOK trash panda housings with Drop Halo True stems. Using Gateron Baby Kangaroos now in both keyboards - these bad boys sound and feel so good.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1128 on: Mon, 15 January 2024, 01:20:06 »
Hi everyone, have been into custom keyboard for some time now. Currently using 2 Mode Eighties as daily drivers - a 2020 Lotus at home and a 2022 E-White in the office.
Have tried both tactile and linear switches but I am definitely in the tactile camp. Worked through Holy Pandas, Boba U4Ts, Durock T1s and even made my own Holy Trash Pandas frankenswitching YOK trash panda housings with Drop Halo True stems. Using Gateron Baby Kangaroos now in both keyboards - these bad boys sound and feel so good.

Welcome to Geekhack :)

Offline spambox2312

« Reply #1129 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 22:29:22 »
Hello everyone, brand new to the hobby and have been scouring the web for info before buying my first board

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1130 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 22:50:28 »
Hello everyone, brand new to the hobby and have been scouring the web for info before buying my first board

One thing I would recommend is purchasing a board that has several different mounting options, that way you can experiment with what you like. Try to find one with top mount and a form of gasket mount as they are the two most common mounting types. Especially when it comes to budget boards you might make a choice you regret if it has one mounting style that you hate, and will probably lose money if you want to get rid of it (when I started the hobby, I bought a gasket mount board before I realised I didn't like gasket mount, don't be like me) This is especially useful if you are looking to upgrade to a higher end custom later on.

Another thing is that if you live close to a major city, then try to see if there is a meetup near you. This allows you to try a bunch of options to see if you like them, best low cost way to know what you like.

Offline 87supra

« Reply #1131 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 19:28:47 »
Hey guys! Looking forward to having some keyboard homies
Ryzen 7 5800x | Zotac RTX 3080 10GB | 16GB RAM | 512MB NVMe | 1TB SSD | 4TB internal mec | 21 TB external | MSI MAG 32 2k 144
Bosgame 7735hs | 512 NVMe | 2TB SSD | 2.5 TB external
ASUS ROG G15 | 6800H | RTX3060
SMSL AO200 | Matrix Mini balanced | Klipsch RP 600M ii

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1132 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 03:02:28 »

What keyboards are in your collection?

Offline 87supra

« Reply #1133 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 17:46:11 »

What keyboards are in your collection?

Thanks!!
Well currently I have (2) Velocifire TLK61 & (1) HK61 built for using at work with a Epomaker keypad. I like Akko Jelly blacks for work in the 61s. Flamingos in the keypad. If any of these explode into a million pieces for some strange reason, I won't feel too badly for them.
At home I am using a Epomaker Shadow X with box jades. I painted the top plate an old school flat gold for a retro-cyber look with the screen. Stock caps. Its really new so I haven't really decided how I want to set it up yet.
I just sold my Wormier/XVX TKL to a co-worker and also just sold my GMMK2 to my friend to use at his job.
So some pretty basic stuff....
I'm looking for something a little more on the rich side at the moment. Solid aluminum chassis NCR80 style. I see the Aliexpress NCR80s.... have been tempted, but I think I want it to be on the heavy side.
 MMkeyboard has one I have seen, but only the red currently in hot-swappable. I prefer the hot-swappable to avoid de-soldering to change switches.
Also a full 108 key with a solid aluminum chassis would be sweet.
If you have any suggestions that would be awesome
Ryzen 7 5800x | Zotac RTX 3080 10GB | 16GB RAM | 512MB NVMe | 1TB SSD | 4TB internal mec | 21 TB external | MSI MAG 32 2k 144
Bosgame 7735hs | 512 NVMe | 2TB SSD | 2.5 TB external
ASUS ROG G15 | 6800H | RTX3060
SMSL AO200 | Matrix Mini balanced | Klipsch RP 600M ii

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #1134 on: Fri, 16 February 2024, 18:07:22 »
I'm looking for something a little more on the rich side at the moment. Solid aluminum chassis NCR80 style. I see the Aliexpress NCR80s.... have been tempted, but I think I want it to be on the heavy side.
 MMkeyboard has one I have seen, but only the red currently in hot-swappable. I prefer the hot-swappable to avoid de-soldering to change switches.

In terms of something that description, I really only know about the jer80, basicially a replica of the ncr boards but with top mount I believe, they do seem nice but you would have to get them on the aftermarket. I'm also not sure about your budget so it might be too expensive.

I think there was a hotswap pcb but for high end customs I would personally reccomend solder. I would still reccomend getting a hotswap board to try out everything and see what your preferences are, then the best option you put in the board. I do prefer solder because it sounds nicer, there is more of a connection to the pcb and it's easier to desolder a switch than fix a hotswap socket.

Also a full 108 key with a solid aluminum chassis would be sweet.
If you have any suggestions that would be awesome

There are a couple options here for customs at least. They all are pretty expensive cause full sizes in general are expensive

The fossil recently ran, which fits the description and did look pretty nice, however you will have to get it in the aftermarket - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119332.0

The kangaroo also is a 108 key, however it's southpaw fullsize which may not be what you want, it's pretty well priced considering what it is, it's in stock and there is free international shipping from what I'm aware - https://keyboardtreehouse.com/products/ae-x-impulse-boards-kangaroo

This one isn't technically 108 but the bina 103 did seem pretty nice and is a full size, it is in IC atm - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121905.0

These might not be what you are looking for but I hope this helps.