Author Topic: [IC] GODSPEED SA - TOUCHDOWN  (Read 66196 times)

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
[IC] GODSPEED SA - TOUCHDOWN
« on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:42:36 »
DONE
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:19:08 by MiTo »

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] GODSPEED SA - preparing for launch
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:47:17 »
I'm all for it personally!

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:49:54 »
Love the colors. This is the same profiles as the filco sa set.

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 15:29:14 »
I'm for the change to the 2-2-3-3-3-3 layout personally. This keyset looks amazing btw. Cannot wait for this to drop. I'll be grabbing it with whatever layout it releases in

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 16:03:30 »
Also I've got just row 3 keys on a minivan and it feels great. I'll have to try it out with the back raised a little to simulate feet.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 16:12:28 »
I'm for uniformity of key profiles, so I vote no~ but if its what the masses want then  :thumb:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline JDragon

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 18:00:35 »
3-3-3-3-3-3 ;)

SA uniform feels so much better imo. R1 caps are awful, but I guess I can live with R2.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 20:44:27 »
I really love the pluse 1-1-2-3-4-3 layout.
don't quiet like 22-3333, or all R3, It's been called Flat Chested in China.
As you know Filco SA is not quiet popular here.

For me, at least, x-x-2-3-4-x is needed....I think.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 21:39:24 »
Nice, beautiful keycap set!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 22:04:00 »
Uniform pls.

SA Dangerzone proved to me that it works <3
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 22:18:11 »
I have had only 1 SA keyset which is the Filco SA (2-2-3-3-3-3) which is exactly the profile setup that you're proposing. I'm using it with the Novatouch at an angle and find it very comfortable to type on. So personally I'm for it (Novelties kit looks great!)

With the old 1-1-2-3-4-3 profile I also noticed that people may have trouble reaching the left 1.25u CONTROL (regardless if R3 or R4) when combined with a R4 SHIFT Z X C V B N M row. What I mean is that the SHIFT curvature sort of prevents your left pinky finger from naturally reaching the CONTROL switch. I also tried other profile setups, for example 2-3-3-4-3, 2-3-3-4-4 and others but 2-3-3-3-3 performed better from what I can tell.

Also a question if someone can explain. I understand the 1-1-2-3-4-4 setup since it makes a fuller curve but why so many sets go with 1-1-2-3-4-3? For example the Chocolatier SA changed from 1-1-2-3-4-4 to 1-1-2-3-4-3 very close to the buy.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 05:14:15 »
I like the skulpt on carbon sa, but when I made the Compboard I realised uniform can work well too.

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 06:40:32 »
Uniform pls.

SA Dangerzone proved to me that it works <3

SO PROUD

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 08:34:31 »
I love the look and feel of 1-2-3-3-3-3 but overall I'm not that bothered.  I do agree that x-x-x-x-4-3 can be annoying with the edge of 4, but it does seem to be popular.  I wonder if it's popular because users have not tried other options?

Offline Geckt

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 08:45:34 »
Show Image

As we approach the group buy launch after two years in the making I'd like to hear your opinions about the final profile setup that I chose for the keycap set, which you can see in the green border mockups below. The set was previously designed as a 1-1-2-3-4-3 keycap set but some people dislike this config and requested something smoother, organic and different. For the people who never used a SA set, the 1-1-2-3-4-3 curvature is very pronunciated (Pulse was made on this profile) and some people dislike the super tall R1 keycaps (wobble) and the negative angle that R4 offers (ache) - see the Pulse picture at the bottom of this post.

So for the past weeks I have been testing various SA configs and tinkering with my daily driver and what I learned from this experience is that 2-2-3-3-3-3 seems to be the optimal setup. I tried it first and it was the faster for me to adjust coming from Cherry profile, it looks good (has a terminal/vintage vibe since the bottom row modifiers have the same row as the space bar, so it looks completely uniform), feels confortable for typing and works great when playing games. With the old 1-1-2-3-4-3 profile I also noticed that people may have trouble reaching the left 1.25u CONTROL (regardless if R3 or R4) when combined with a R4 SHIFT Z X C V B N M row. What I mean is that the SHIFT curvature sort of prevents your left pinky finger from naturally reaching the CONTROL switch. I also tried other profile setups, for example 2-3-3-4-3, 2-3-3-4-4 and others but 2-3-3-3-3 performed better from what I can tell.

The greatest feature of the new config is that it feels and looks great when paired with both flat and angled cases, which isn't always the case with 1-2-3-4-3 sets - because when paired with flat cases the negative angle of R4 can cause ouch after long sessions. With the new profile configuration users will naturally have a good curvature and ergonomics, on both angled and flat cases.

I'd like to ask you people to experiment with this profile with your grab bags/other SA sets and report back with input. Tell me what you think, will you benefit from this new profile setup? I'll be tweaking and releasing the exact child deals that will be offered in a couple of days so hang around for more info and feel free to make requests, I'll consider everything.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

shot by /u/clrnt3z_
Anything for a change from a flush uniform R3 please, MiTo. It's nothing like DSA profile strangely.

I tried uniform R3 and everything under the home row just felt alienating to me especially at a raised angle with your keyboard feets out unlike DSA which felt very similar to Cherry Profile to me.

I will agree with the above comment by hoq about 2-2-3-3-3 might be sub-optimal too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 08:53:40 by Geckt »

Offline IneffableTao

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 14:33:43 »
I had not previously used this layout but I mocked it up with grab bag caps and really like it.  So nice to keep the R1 out of the picture and I found it much easier to hit both left shift & ctrl simultaneously (something I do countless times per day in Excel.)

Highly approve of both the layout and design!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 16:37:43 »
Uniform, please.  Lovely keyset, though.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:02:24 »
]

Also a question if someone can explain. I understand the 1-1-2-3-4-4 setup since it makes a fuller curve but why so many sets go with 1-1-2-3-4-3? For example the Chocolatier SA changed from 1-1-2-3-4-4 to 1-1-2-3-4-3 very close to the buy.

It has to do with the angle at which your fingers hit each key on each row, R4 is against a straight downstroke as is the case. Of your thumb pressing down on the spacebar, or you pressing control or alt and some other key. It would make. More sense to use R2 for that matter instead of R4. But I think R3 suits it much better.

Also this is why I am going to say I don't agree with the "ouch" part on the R4, the negative angle has a purpose, with your hands in the correct position, your fingers are attacking the keycap towards you, thus it makes sense that the angle is facing the fingers when they reach back to that row.

The only row in SA that could be changed would possibly be R1, it looks amazing, but the curvature is badly adapted to cherry. Keycap straight stems.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 02:35:48 »
It's gotta be sculpted if you want it to be a valuable set for the future. If you look at the trends all of the sa sets that are now sought after are sculpted.

They also feel like a complete product, like something with personality.

Now take almost all dsa sets, almost all have no market value, there's no personality.

Offline nateth

[IC] GODSPEED SA - preparing for launch
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 03:30:52 »
If R4 seems to be the problem the why not just change it to R3 and have 1-1-2-3-3? That way it has the nice downward sculpting without the drawback of R4?
Frankly, I'd like to try a set like that to see how I like it.

2-2-3-3-3 is too flat for my personal taste. That said, I can respect it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:52:57 by nateth »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:16:59 »
It's gotta be sculpted if you want it to be a valuable set for the future. If you look at the trends all of the sa sets that are now sought after are sculpted.

Now take almost all dsa sets, almost all have no market value, there's no personality.

Nuclear Data is uniform SA and goes for 500+. I'm sure Symbiosis would go for in the same price range. Danger Zone, depending on kits, has gone for 300ish.

Granite DSA is in constant demand (so much that SP is going to have constant sales of it). I could list my Hyperfuse DSA and get 300+ in a heartbeat.

Seems like plenty of "personality" to me.

Also, who designs a keyset with "future market value" in mind? The keyset should reflect the designer's vision, not what inflated price it will sell at 2-3 years down the road.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:43:02 by JDragon »

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:39:25 »

Nuclear Data is uniform SA and goes for 500+. I'm sure Symbiosis would go for in the same price range. Danger Zone, depending on kits, has gone for 300ish.

Granite DSA is in constant demand (so much that SP is going to have constant sales of it). I could list my Hyperfuse DSA and get 300+ in a heartbeat.

Seems like plenty of personality to me.

Also, who designs a keyset with "future market value" in mind? The keyset should reflect the designer's vision, not what inflated price it will set at 2-3 years down the road.
I couldn't agree more. I just want a nice looking and feeling keyset. And this one certainly looks nice!

Offline Fibonacci_Jones

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 22:32:27 »
I've only ever tried a uniform setup from a grab bag set I put together. While the fully sculpted setup looks nice, is there any way to try and get an idea for how it would feel to actually type on? Do the row 1 and 4 keys make it difficult to press the keys down in any way?

For me, it seems a 2-3-3-3-3 setup would be safer than fully sculpted (while that latter would look neater imo)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 12:09:34 »
Danger Zone is uniform SA.  And I like the feel of it, and the versatility.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:58:28 »
What appeal me when looking at SA is the sculpted elements it has. Yes I don't have any SA and never tried one. But looking at All-R3 SA makes me think "why not DSA?"

And personally I really really want DSA have a sculpted version (I speak about DSA height).

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 20:09:18 »
This keyset is beautiful! I don't mind either profile for the rows, but then I'm new and only have the PuLSE in SA so far.

Offline daybreak365

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 19:15:33 »
I would prefer the fully-sculpted set and hope that you would at least have that option. I have the fully-sculpted Pulse set and absolutely love it. The sculpt is one of the most beautiful aspects of SA, and I share jebbra's sentiment that All-R3 just feels like a taller DSA.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 03:46:02 »
Hey!
I absolutely love this keyset!
I vote for uniforme R3
As well as ISO French childset.
Also consider making ergodox childset, with some color like red and orange. Thanks!
Hope it will do!

Offline laminam

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 21:20:20 »
Vote for uniform SA. Love the set.

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 17:20:31 »
Uniform! Any update on if/when this might be dropping?

Offline poolside

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 17:45:00 »
Uniform! Any update on if/when this might be dropping?

It should be hitting MD in about 1-2 weeks now, according to this post from the /r/mk thread.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 18:12:57 »
It's definitely launching in a couple weeks. I've been quite busy with many things and I'm hoping to update you guys with more information/kits as soon as I can, some projects have been overlaping each other so I apologize for my abscence. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied with all the feedback aquired via multiple  platforms and forums and before hand I'd like to announce that this set will be multisculpted with an optional kit. It will be up to you to chose between 223333 or 112343.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 18:45:10 »
It's definitely launching in a couple weeks. I've been quite busy with many things and I'm hoping to update you guys with more information/kits as soon as I can, some projects have been overlaping each other so I apologize for my abscence. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied with all the feedback aquired via multiple  platforms and forums and before hand I'd like to announce that this set will be multisculpted with an optional kit. It will be up to you to chose between 223333 or 112343.

Thank you for the update! It's a lovely set, definitely will be getting in on the group buy. Hoping a 1.75u RShift is included in there somewhere, or a tsangan kit otherwise, if not I can just use it on my other boards but I've been keen on my whitefox lately.  :-X

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 19:02:33 »
112343,pleeeeease……

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:04:24 »
Another MiTo set!!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:39:38 »
I love the look and feel of 1-2-3-3-3-3 but overall I'm not that bothered.  I do agree that x-x-x-x-4-3 can be annoying with the edge of 4, but it does seem to be popular.  I wonder if it's popular because users have not tried other options?

I've typed on 3-3-3-3-3-3, 1-2-3-3-3-3, and 1-2-3-3-4-3.  Personally, I prefer the 1-2-3-3-3-3, but can understand why people like the 1-2-3-3-4-3, as it's a nice on angled boards.  I'm down for any, though.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 13:20:23 »
I've typed on 3-3-3-3-3-3, 1-2-3-3-3-3, and 1-2-3-3-4-3.  Personally, I prefer the 1-2-3-3-3-3, but can understand why people like the 1-2-3-3-4-3, as it's a nice on angled boards.  I'm down for any, though.

Indeed, I've done some experiments last couple days and I really like 1-2-3-3-4-3 on angled and then either 1-2-3-3-3-3 or 3-3-3-3-3-3 for flat. I'll be satisfied with any, probably going to pick up the 223333 out of the ones Mito's mentioned.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 00:43:51 »

Whoa multisculpted in a single GB?!

Offline wodan

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:10:45 »
It's not a real SA keycap set if it doesn't have a full profile.

Personally, I believe the 1-1-2-3-4-3 row profile is the divine solution since the bottom R3 matches the SA space bar best. I haven't seen any lost fingers due to the 3-4-3 profile stepping.

If the R1 caps feel too wobbly, sticker the switches!

If you want ALL-R3 profile caps then please design a DSA keycap set which is basically ALL-R3 caps without the heels ... Those ALL-R3 sets are just clogging up the SA production queue and could be done on the side on the DSA machinery instead!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 03:38:12 »
This, just THIS ^

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 06:52:32 »
Whoa multisculpted in a single GB?!

Exactly, I'd like to see both setups being equally viable and wallet friendly for you. :thumb:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 10:44:55 »

Personally, I believe the 1-1-2-3-4-3 row profile is the divine solution since the bottom R3 matches the SA space bar best. I haven't seen any lost fingers due to the 3-4-3 profile stepping.

If you want ALL-R3 profile caps then please design a DSA keycap set which is basically ALL-R3 caps without the heels ... Those ALL-R3 sets are just clogging up the SA production queue and could be done on the side on the DSA machinery instead!

As someone who has both, DSA =\= Uniform R3 SA.  In no particular way.  I love uniform R3 SA after getting it on my DZ, and wish that more people would make their SA sets uniform R3, but 2-3-3-3-3-3 works too, so I'm definitely in.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 12:13:59 »

lol @ "real SA"

Offline Geckt

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:56:05 »
112343,pleeeeease……

有得选择全R3或112343嘛。

Sent from my 2013023 using Tapatalk

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:55:29 »
112343,pleeeeease……

有得选择全R3或112343嘛。

如果那样的话,是最好的了。

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:59:05 »
112343,pleeeeease……

有得选择全R3或112343嘛。

如果那样的话,是最好的了。

确定112343或223333。

Sure you can choose between 112343 or 223333.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:59:37 »
For those of you who have been curious about how the "multi-sculpt" feature is going to work in our group buy - after gathering lots of feedback everywhere, recently I've been inclined to run the group buy with all of the child kits oriented to the 1-1-2-3-4-3 profile, which is the vanilla profile and everyone is already used to. What I mean is that 40s, 60s, TKLs and 100s users will have the option to place a modular order with their fundamental kits divided extremely similar like Pulse R2/Chocolatier.

But for the picky enthusiasts who really want to experience the unique flat setup I presented in OP, I'm going to add a "Terminal Kit" featuring flat alphas combined with interesting novelties, which is meant to be used on 40s (given that you also order the 40s mods), 60s (standalone) and TKLs (standalone). By "standalone" I mean "GMK style", you'll be good with this kit on it's own.

Ergodox, 100s, Tsangan and International users are not covered with this kit, unless they want to ghetto and use 1-1-2-3-4-3 modifiers or 1-1-2-3-4-3 numpad or whatever other crazy combination you come up with.

In case you're wondering why I'm not making everything modular the answer is that because it's simply not viable. I could definitely offer FLAT ALPHAS, FLAT MODS, FLAT NOVELTIES, SCULPTED ALPHAS, SCULPTED MODS, SCULPTED NOVELTIES, etc. but can you imagine what a logistic nightmare it would be? Not many people would be funding these kits together, therefore they would be expensive for asbolutely everyone. We would be essentially having two different keycap sets being offered at the same time, both with terrible pricing. People would get confused when ordering (broken/non-intuitive kits) and the sorting guys would easily get overwhelmed and make mistakes. My initial idea was to make a 223333 Adapter Kit, (to transform a 112343 into it's flat counterpart) but then you'd end up with a lot of wasted keycaps, regardless of your layout (ANSI, Tsangan, whatever).

So I came up with the Terminal Kit:

And I have a couple questions for those who would use it:
  • Would you like to see it trimmed down to 60% only?
  • Or maybe expanded to 100%? (by adding a flat Numpad with it)
  • Do you like the bottom row modifiers or would you prefer text only?
  • Do you like the red cluster or would you prefer full blue/yellow/beige?

It's impossible to please everyone but given the interest for flat and your passion for sculpted I'm trying to make this work as best as I can. So let me know what you think!

RANDOM PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:
Let's say you have a Planck, a Novatouch, you love SA and you'd like to try the flat setup. I'd recommend you to order Alphas + 40s Mods (to complete your Planck) and either a Terminal Kit or another pack of Alphas + Base Mods to properly cover your Novatouch.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE:
You have a 40% and want to experience the flat setup then you'd need the Terminal Kit + 40s Mods. Does that make sense?

TL;DR: Basically, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, the set will be 1-1-2-3-4-3 but an unique kit for 40s/60s/TKLs with novelties will be provided on 2-2-3-3-3-3 (and it's called Terminal Kit). What do you think about said kit?

Offline Geckt

Re: [IC] GODSPEED SA - multi sculpt, figuring out final details
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:04:19 »
112343,pleeeeease……

有得选择全R3或112343嘛。

如果那样的话,是最好的了。

确定112343或223333。

Sure you can choose between 112343 or 223333.
一句话, 赞啦!
通杀! lolol

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: [IC] GODSPEED SA - multi sculpt, figuring out final details
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:06:50 »
112343 dream comes true!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:29:52 »
TL;DR: Basically, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, the set will be 1-1-2-3-4-3 but an unique kit for 40s/60s/TKLs with novelties will be provided on 2-2-3-3-3-3 (and it's called Terminal Kit). What do you think about said kit?

I think having it be a standalone "GMK style" is a brilliant idea - I have a few TKLs and have a couple 40% boards coming in soon enough and having the option to go for 223333 (which I slightly prefer to 112343 most the time) will be fantastic. I have no use for 60% because the only one I have is a HHKB, nor do I own 100% boards, so the TKL size for the Terminal Kit is perfect for me.

I have two WhiteFox Arias so I'd be needing a 1.75 rshift though, I'm assuming I could just get the tsangan kit and snatch it from there, no biggie.

I appreciate the amount of possibilities you're offering with the addition of the Terminal! Very much looking forward to the drop, it'll still be a couple weeks till it launches correct?

PS: Oh yea, I forgot, I love the bottom row modifiers for the Terminal. The red cluster I'm unsure about, I may prefer it be in blue or beige but the red may grow on me over time as well - not a deal breaker either way, I'll most likely be using artisans there.  :blank:
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:31:41 by Vigrith »