geekhack Marketplace > KeyClack

[GB] SA Camping; Camp-Team China X Keyclack (Complete)

<< < (5/24) > >>

jal:

--- Quote from: jchan94 on Tue, 23 August 2016, 20:44:25 ---
--- Quote from: jdcarpe on Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:28:13 ---This is why we use Shopify, kids. Or host your site on AWS.

--- End quote ---

Elastic does seem the way to go:P.

I do like managing my own server at an affordable cost. Still weighing all the pros and cons ;)

--- End quote ---

Linode is a nice middle ground for me. Very quick and easy to spin up new VMs, but they aren't transient. And they're reasonably priced. They have had their problems, but, well, I've had no issues with them.

chuckdee:

--- Quote from: jdcarpe on Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:28:13 ---This is why we use Shopify, kids. Or host your site on AWS.

--- End quote ---

I do like managing my own server at an affordable cost. Still weighing all the pros and cons ;)

--- End quote ---

By the fact that everyone doesn't use Shopify or AWS, especially at higher levels, that blanket statement is not necessarily true.  You just have to have the infrastructure, and there are tradeoffs to doing so.

--- Quote from: jal on Wed, 24 August 2016, 00:07:00 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Linode is a nice middle ground for me. Very quick and easy to spin up new VMs, but they aren't transient. And they're reasonably priced. They have had their problems, but, well, I've had no issues with them.

--- End quote ---

I use LiquidWeb, and it's been sufficient for my (and my clients') needs.

jal:

--- Quote from: chuckdee on Wed, 24 August 2016, 09:14:59 ---I use LiquidWeb, and it's been sufficient for my (and my clients') needs.

--- End quote ---

Prefacing this by saying that there's a horror story like this for every provider out there. But in a past life I had a client who used LiquidWeb, and depended on LW's representations that VMs were backed up nightly. I told them that was a mistake; my mantra when it comes to storage is if you don't own the medium, you don't own the message. But whatever, long story short, someone installed Wordpress, forgot about it and they were hacked. And those backups didn't exist.

So once more with feeling, if it isn't possible for you to physically touch one copy of your (restore-tested) backups, you're not backing up.

There, somehow we've gone from discussing a really cute key set to me turning into a graybeard ranting about backups. Clearly, my work here is done.

joeltb:
Just purchased my first mechanical keyboard and this will be my first big boy key cap set and I cannot wait! Since this is my first purchase I have a question: Once the order taking closes on September 6th, 2016, 11:59PM PST, what happens next and how long does it typically take to receive the final product assuming all goes well? This is all new to me. PS: This is such a beautiful set. The creators are very talented!

jchan94:

--- Quote from: joeltb on Wed, 24 August 2016, 14:02:25 ---Just purchased my first mechanical keyboard and this will be my first big boy key cap set and I cannot wait! Since this is my first purchase I have a question: Once the order taking closes on September 6th, 2016, 11:59PM PST, what happens next and how long does it typically take to receive the final product assuming all goes well? This is all new to me. PS: This is such a beautiful set. The creators are very talented!

--- End quote ---
Once September 6 passes, we go into payment process with SP. After that, it's the waiting game. We are trying to score the schedule after the amazing chocolatier that just finished on Massdrop last week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version