Author Topic: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 (COMPLETED)  (Read 471908 times)

Offline Sergeant_Shart

Re: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 (SHIPPING!)
« Reply #2300 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 18:06:29 »
Just received mine (was in our old house, forgot to ask Ivan to change shipping address). Gonna check if everythings okay.

Heres some comparison between this and from the Vortex Mass Drop blank PBT

Left: Ivan GB
Right: Vortex Massdrop GB
Show Image

Show Image

The vortex key has label/stamp which profile is the key

Show Image

The Vortex look nicer, glad I didn't pass on those to wait here. Probably just sell these.

Offline jalthi

« Reply #2301 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 20:48:01 »
The Vortex look nicer, glad I didn't pass on those to wait here. Probably just sell these.

Dude just give it a rest already.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #2302 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 23:13:41 »
Just received mine (was in our old house, forgot to ask Ivan to change shipping address). Gonna check if everythings okay.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Aside from the 2nd photo, I can't tell the difference. Glad I got the Black on Black set :thumb:

Offline lolkey

« Reply #2303 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:51:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Aside from the 2nd photo, I can't tell the difference. Glad I got the Black on Black set :thumb:

The group buy are a shade darker and have a smaller horizontal surface top. You can see it better if you have the image full size - http://i.imgur.com/F1Ahb26.jpg
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Veteranos

« Reply #2304 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 08:59:34 »
haven't received mine yet probably next week  :'(

but as far as this comparison i can tell maybe that the gb set where the cross is for the input, looks so much better than the vortex one.. more sturdy/stable and not "moving" when you touch the keys.

anyways im so excited getting my blank blacks soon  :p

Filco M2 TKL | Red Cherry Mx | PBT Black "Otaku" Keycaps

Offline acediac01

« Reply #2305 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:37:16 »
I just received my order this week. I put the black on black on my Poker II, with a low profile case. Had to raid some of the special keys from the blank set (to avoid the windoze and right click markings). When typing, the board is much quieter than the stock key caps because they seem to be a little bit shorter on the outside edge.

The keys look like they are floating, and it's exactly what I wanted for this board! If I had a camera, I'd get some pictures. Once I get my phone fixed, maybe some potato pics will suffice.

Thanks Ivan!
Leopold FC200RT (browns) - Work
Poker II (browns) - Home

Offline jalthi

« Reply #2306 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:38:04 »
haven't received mine yet probably next week  :'(

but as far as this comparison i can tell maybe that the gb set where the cross is for the input, looks so much better than the vortex one.. more sturdy/stable and not "moving" when you touch the keys.

anyways im so excited getting my blank blacks soon  :p

I have the exact same setup as you, Filco TKL, Reds, with this gb keycaps - couldn't be happier.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #2307 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:46:23 »
Got my keycaps in today, thanks Ivan.

Offline calavera

« Reply #2308 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 00:42:30 »
I wasn't even aware that this was shipped. Got a pleasant surprise in the mail today. Haven't checked the package yet but thanks!!

Offline wilflare

« Reply #2309 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 06:10:42 »
didn't know they shipped.
got a package today and I was like huhh??

opened it up and found that I got two sets!!
1x Blanks (112 keys - is that right?)
1x Black on Black (with 2x Blank keys not in a smaller ziplock)

my first set of custom keys ever!
thanks Ivan

PS: anyone has any idea how I should replace the keys on my Filco Brown?
I've removed the old keycaps but do I need to remove those white tabs (used for the metal wire) and put them in these?
and I should go Google the layout again lol

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2310 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 07:35:39 »
I've removed the old keycaps but do I need to remove those white tabs (used for the metal wire) and put them in these?

Yep you'll need those inserts.  Those are the Costar stabilizer inserts, and you'll need to put them in the new keys (mind whether they are frontward or backward, one "side" is longer than the other) and then insert the wire as you replace the keycap.   :thumb:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2311 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:40:25 »
I actually do my costar stabilizers a little differently. I have trouble getting the inserts onto the wire after I've put them on the key, so I just set the inserts in the correct orientation inside the stabilizer itself, and press the key onto all three stems simultaneously, like one would do with Cherry stabilizers. If you feel as though it's not catching, you probably had one of the inserts at an angle, and you'll need to remove the key and try again.

When you're placing the inserts, remember that the longer side of the insert faces the back of the board (towards the F-row).
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline wilflare

« Reply #2312 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:43:00 »

Yep you'll need those inserts.  Those are the Costar stabilizer inserts, and you'll need to put them in the new keys (mind whether they are frontward or backward, one "side" is longer than the other) and then insert the wire as you replace the keycap.   :thumb:

thanks! any idea how to get them off - they seem stuck to my old Filco keycaps :/

and are we supposed to get 114 keys which each pack/order?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2313 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:45:52 »

thanks! any idea how to get them off - they seem stuck to my old Filco keycaps :/

In the past, I've pulled inserts out with a small pair of pliers, and levered them out from the cap base with a small flathead screwdriver if there's enough room to get one in there. Just be gentle with them, you don't want to break or deform the insert.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2314 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:43:36 »

In the past, I've pulled inserts out with a small pair of pliers, and levered them out from the cap base with a small flathead screwdriver if there's enough room to get one in there. Just be gentle with them, you don't want to break or deform the insert.

When I was "mass-removing" them from old G81-1800 caps when harvesting caps, I got in a rhythm of using the keycap puller to lever them out (like you do with a flathead screwdriver).  That worked quite well.  If they're really stuck the thin wires of a keycap puller might not be strong enough, so be sure to not bend them.  :)

Offline n7

« Reply #2315 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 11:50:38 »
potato-ish pic, but loving these caps :)

Offline lolkey

« Reply #2316 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 16:57:35 »
I got mine today and they're awesome. Thank you, Ivan!

I really like the top surface being slightly narrower. Maybe I'm crazy, but it feels like a big difference. Like my fingers don't get snagged on the edges of keys as much as they did with stock Filco keys. The texture also matches the Filco case perfectly. When you look at them from an angle with slight light hitting them, they look like part of the case.

The only con is how tight they are on the stems. You have to put a lot of force to get it on all the way and get it level. Remember not to pull them straight up and off, but to wiggle them back and forth, or you might pull a stem off with the key. Be super careful with the space bar. I forgot to put an o-ring on mine and had to pull it off, and it felt like it was cemented on  :eek:. The letter it came with said to maybe use some lube, but that would be a nightmare when it comes time to clean. Lube will attract and buildup the dust, hairs, etc that gets under the keyboard. I think you're better off just letting them wear in over time from pulling them and putting them back on.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2317 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:36:16 »
I think mine came in the mail from the usps but they left the missed card.

I think I have to pick it up from the post office tomorrow.

:(

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #2318 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:09:27 »
I got my keycaps today. Thanks Ivan!

I just thought it would be worth telling other people because I got it delivered to the UK and I don't reckon I've seen anyone from Europe saying they got their caps yet. :-D

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2319 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:25:37 »
These are suuuuuper tight, by the way, like ludicrously so. I had to push pretty hard to get them fully seated, the warning they came with was pretty accurate. I put a little silicone lubricant on the stems before putting them on but I'm still a little nervous about eventually taking them off.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline janvkn

« Reply #2320 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:30:58 »
These are suuuuuper tight, by the way, like ludicrously so. I had to push pretty hard to get them fully seated, the warning they came with was pretty accurate. I put a little silicone lubricant on the stems before putting them on but I'm still a little nervous about eventually taking them off.

Not something to put on a keyboard with mx clears then ...

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #2321 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:35:51 »

I really like the top surface being slightly narrower. Maybe I'm crazy, but it feels like a big difference. Like my fingers don't get snagged on the edges of keys as much as they did with stock Filco keys. The texture also matches the Filco case perfectly. When you look at them from an angle with slight light hitting them, they look like part of the case.

The only con is how tight they are on the stems. You have to put a lot of force to get it on all the way and get it level. Remember not to pull them straight up and off, but to wiggle them back and forth, or you might pull a stem off with the key. Be super careful with the space bar. I forgot to put an o-ring on mine and had to pull it off, and it felt like it was cemented on  :eek:. The letter it came with said to maybe use some lube, but that would be a nightmare when it comes time to clean. Lube will attract and buildup the dust, hairs, etc that gets under the keyboard. I think you're better off just letting them wear in over time from pulling them and putting them back on.

This is the truth. I was amazed at how tightly these fit on my clear stems. Definitely recommend taking your time when removing these keys or you will almost definitely pop switches apart.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline sean4star

« Reply #2322 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:03:47 »
I've never used lubricant or grease on my switch stems.  What should I use?  When I look up silicone grease I mostly get automotive supplies.  Looking up silicone lubricant get's me something else entirely.  Maybe I should wait and look this up at home!   :))

Offline ThomasBastiani

« Reply #2323 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:15:32 »

This is the truth. I was amazed at how tightly these fit on my clear stems. Definitely recommend taking your time when removing these keys or you will almost definitely pop switches apart.
I have some high-viscosity grease that was intended for my stabs. Should I use something more akin to oil than grease? Ivan's note mentions grease specifically so I'm assuming it's okay?

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #2324 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:37:13 »
I imagine you'd ideally want a krytox mixture of thick and thin, enough so to coat the stem but not run.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #2325 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 13:59:39 »
hey Ivan, I was wondering if all the orders have been shipped out? I still haven't received mine and am worried since my mailbox is shared with 3 others. All these posts and pictures are getting me angsty :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2326 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 14:09:34 »
I'm still not finished shipping all these. Some other things came up and I've only been able to send out 5-10 or so a day instead of 50-70 a day over the last week. I did get 40 more done today... hope to hit another big chunk tomorrow.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #2327 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 14:24:56 »
 :thumb: was just worried it got lost in my mailbox  :eek: Thanks Ivan!

Offline DarSee

« Reply #2328 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:02:47 »
Got mine in the other day.  Just got around to putting mods on today (haven't had time yet for the whole keyboard but couldn't wait to get something new on there). 
They look and feel great. 

Thanks Ivan!

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #2329 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 16:53:51 »
Got mine today. Thanks Ivan, your work is very appreciated. Keep it up!  :thumb:

Offline lolkey

« Reply #2330 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 16:54:24 »

I have some high-viscosity grease that was intended for my stabs. Should I use something more akin to oil than grease? Ivan's note mentions grease specifically so I'm assuming it's okay?

I wouldn't even bother, unless maybe you have clears, as I've read those are already tight on standard stems. I took one cap on/off a few times and it already feels easier to take off opposed to the first time. If anything, I would just do the space bar because it's hard to distribute the force evenly across such a long key when pulling. Or, what I did, was I took off both Alt keys and used my finger tips underneath opposite edges to wobble it back and forth while pulling up. Kind of like making your finger tips fish hooks. The key puller seemed too risky for such a long key.

If you're going to lube, I would follow this and use one of those recommended. Stabilizer lube is generally pretty thick stuff, at least the one I've had. Keep in mind this stuff has the probability of running down inside the switch over time.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #2331 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 19:48:02 »
Can someone comment on how scratch prone these are?

I've found that PBT is easily scratched with a fingernail.  Needless to say, if you're going to try scratching one, do it on a spare keycap, or an edge/side that's not visible.
I  tried really hard on my Vortex PBT caps with my fingernails, but I can't see any scratch on the keycap.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #2332 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 22:31:46 »
Show Image

Is it just me or does your A key have the wrong profile cap on it?
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #2333 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 04:26:09 »
Show Image

Is it just me or does your A key have the wrong profile cap on it?

Looks like a scoop. Should be on F or J.

Offline calavera

« Reply #2334 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 11:09:59 »
It's definitely the wrong profile, not a scoop. :)

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #2335 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 17:43:03 »
The X key appears to be a scoop, though.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #2336 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 02:49:29 »
My caps got stuck in customs  :(
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #2337 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:23:10 »
Liking them overall especially the spacebar shape for some reason. First set of cherry profile keys, & they are more smooth PBT texture wise. But couple with the different pad shape I think it's nice.

Still wouldn't mind a set of non scoop home keys though, that came outta nowhere.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:10:38 by Lu_e »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #2338 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 13:07:50 »
Took some pictures of the keycaps on my Bumblebee keyboard.

Flickr album

Offline GSimon

« Reply #2339 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:22:22 »
Can someone post a pic of the underside of the spacebar? Am wondering if it's 6-stem/universal.

Offline lolkey

« Reply #2340 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:07:21 »
Are the function row (f1-f12) and numerical row (1-0) the same profile?

Offline tbc

« Reply #2341 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:33:32 »
yes
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #2342 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:56:24 »
Potato pics of 6.25 and 7 unit spacebars

100027-0

100029-1

Offline GSimon

« Reply #2343 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 18:18:13 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thank you sir! Looks like I'll finally have a full Cherry keyset for my Leopold, other than the navy blue one I already have.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2344 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 20:37:09 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thank you sir! Looks like I'll finally have a full Cherry keyset for my Leopold, other than the navy blue one I already have.
These look similar to stem setup on the gateron key caps spacebar.

Can I use this spacebar on a fc660m?

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #2345 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 23:09:43 »
Was the short right shift indeed made? Neither of my blank sets have it. I counted them today before packing to re-ship.

Offline keyit

« Reply #2346 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 23:10:50 »
Was the short right shift indeed made? Neither of my blank sets have it. I counted them today before packing to re-ship.

my printed set had one
boop

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #2347 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:02:41 »
You sure?

My blank set doesn't appear to have one either;

Offline tbc

« Reply #2348 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:11:25 »
can anyone else confirm their 1.75x blank rshifts are missing?

this is a rather big deal for octagon peeps.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #2349 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 22:18:08 »
I'm curious as well if this set comes with 1.75 rshift