Author Topic: Hello GH :)  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Bamboo238

Hello GH :)
« on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 02:02:46 »
Hey all, thought I would introduce myself as I usually lurk in these types of forums. I'm a PhD student in the Netherlands (though, originally from England/Brazil).

This all started for me when I started getting some RSI form long hours of typing. I naively thought to myself: "I should look into getting a better desk setup".  Well.. six months and endless internet research has led me here. My first proper 'mech' was an HHKB, and I thought I could leave it at that. But, I joined in on the decent65 GB, and am currently waiting for some tools to start learning soldering  ^-^.  Let's just say my girlfriend is quite confused about this descent in to keeb madness. But I can get quite obsessive about my hobbies, as I'm sure a lot of you do too. 
Well, currently trying to decide if I'm a linear or tactile guy -  and if tactile..... how tactile.  But either way, happy to be here!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello GH :)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:11:22 »
Hi Bamboo238. Welcome to Geekhack.

Keyboards are probably the best modern practical place to learn soldering. Plenty of space between the giant solder pads. She'll probably understand once she tries a switch she likes. I have never seen somebody try mechanical keyboards and go, "eh, I don't really care about that."

The choices are only linear or tactile? What about clicky? Which switches have you tried?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:31:41 »
Welcome :)

I learned Dutch for a little over two years, have fun with the testing.

There's so many options now compared to when I first really started getting into this :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 02:13:58 »
Hi Maledicted and switchnollie, thanks for the welcome!  :)

Maledicted - yes, I'm definitely looking forward to learning some soldering! In terms of switches, I have to say that clickies for now are not really on my horizon. Maybe further down the line. I really dig the feel of topre/bke redux domes, so for now exploring what mx has to offer. But, also seeing if I can get a long with linear. I'm  currently trying re-tooled blacks, filmed and lubed with krytox 205. I must say.. I like their smoothness, but my hands get sore after typing on them for periods of time.

switchnollie - Oh nice! I assume you lived in NL/BE for some time then? I am also learning, but its definitely difficult. And... tell me about it - so many different switches, with new ones coming out all the time. Of course I want to try many out, but it can get expensive very fast.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:57:22 »
Hi Maledicted and switchnollie, thanks for the welcome!  :)

Maledicted - yes, I'm definitely looking forward to learning some soldering! In terms of switches, I have to say that clickies for now are not really on my horizon. Maybe further down the line. I really dig the feel of topre/bke redux domes, so for now exploring what mx has to offer. But, also seeing if I can get a long with linear. I'm  currently trying re-tooled blacks, filmed and lubed with krytox 205. I must say.. I like their smoothness, but my hands get sore after typing on them for periods of time.

switchnollie - Oh nice! I assume you lived in NL/BE for some time then? I am also learning, but its definitely difficult. And... tell me about it - so many different switches, with new ones coming out all the time. Of course I want to try many out, but it can get expensive very fast.

Clickies are too loud for your present environment? Understandable. I need to feel Topre myself, some day. A lot of people dislike heavy linears, as they seem to fatigue more easily than tactiles or clickies even at the same weights. If you can still take the switches apart, you could try some different springs from SPRiT, or elsewhere. I know for me, having tried both reds and blacks, I would want something more intermediate in a linear. Reds actuate if I rest my fingers on them, and blacks are too fatiguing (even though, interestingly, box navy clickies are not).