Author Topic: Difference in quality between different rounds of Zealios  (Read 35333 times)

Offline Endeavour1934

Difference in quality between different rounds of Zealios
« on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 07:33:56 »
I've been buying Zealios 62g for over a year, and I've noticed a big difference in quality between rounds:

- R6: normal bump, smooth travel, almost no spring noise
- R8 & R10: sharper bump, a bit scratchier and like 30% of them sound like they have an old mattress spring inside.

Is this normal? I'm specially worried by the odd sounding switches. On some aluminum boards the sound gets amplified and they sound awful :P

Edit: Yup, exchanged the spring from a bad switch with one from a good switch and noise is gone.
2nd edit: Looks like at one point in production the bump in the 62g stems changed. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I like the old ones better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 April 2018, 04:20:54 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Difference in quality between different rounds of Zealios
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 19:52:56 »
I have some R9 an R10 62g zilents, but haven’t got kits to put them into yet.  Now I’m worried about having to spring swap them...

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 04:18:57 »
I've tried lubing the bad springs: it does help a lot, now they are good enough, but still not the same quality as the better ones unlubed.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 05:48:58 »
Hmm maybe this is the excuse I’ve needed to try out Sprit 63.5S springs

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 20:17:40 »
I've had the issue with the "crunchy" spring noise in earlier rounds, but my r9 zilents have been great out of the bag.

Offline killyou

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 10:28:54 »
I have R9 78g Zealios (same as R10), and some of the springs might be pingy but it's barely noticable. Switches are smooth but the bump is sharper than my R4/R5 tester. I think this change was intentional. Can't say that anything is wrong with them, quality is what you would expect from Zeal!

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:47:08 »
Thanks for posting this question. I was going a little bonkers wondering if it's me or switches, and thank god I'm not the only one feeling this.

I have a batch of R8 62g, that to me just feels terrible - scratchy, inconsistent travel, and very slight feeling of catching on the upstroke. Used the batch with a stainless steel plate and initially thought it was case/plate, but started to suspect the switches themselves. Will be more conscious of batch production before buying next time, thanks for the insight.