Author Topic: [IC] GMK Jamón - [RAMA X JAMÓN AVAIL]  (Read 97220 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] GMK Jamón
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:55:40 »
Are these custom colors, I am hoping for the white accents to be CP.

Alphas: R01
Modifiers: RAL 030-40-60
Accents/White: RAL 90-90-10
Drak Gary: N9

How close is RAL 90-90-10 to CP?

i think 90 90 10 is a bit creamier, but i'd have to see them side by side
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 01:51:27 »
R0-5 kit
I've been considering to add a kit featuring R0 F-Row and R5 modifiers, depending on how well the poll and the interest check does, I might or might not add them. R0 and R5 keycaps are slighty more pricier than the others because of their size, but they do make a lot of sense in 96-key keyboards and look fantastic on WKL ones. So please, if you are interested on these, let me know.

Show Image

I'm totally posting these two renders so this isn't just a huge wall of text.

If there is R5 - I'm in. If there is just R0 - I'm also in. If there is R0 AND R5 - **** it, take my money NOW!  :p

Offline gnunin

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 02:30:27 »
100% in for the R0-5 kit. Would be so sick.

Offline johuu

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 03:37:27 »
Interested.  ;D

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 04:48:40 »
Since this is still in IC, I'm obligated to bring it up early:

Having a separated 40% kit is the equivalent of signing a death order. None of the 40% kit has ever made MOQ in history, not even close (not qithout some kind of miracles). If you are separating these keys as kit, then might as well not have them at all.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 09:27:40 »
MD pushes through kits alot regardless. And you're wrong. 9009 40s kit hit moq, as a separate buy even. But even so, if only a few people buy 40s kit, what does that say? Why increase the price for 99% of people by including 40s compat in base to help out the 1%?
keyboards.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 09:48:22 »
Having a separated 40% kit is the equivalent of signing a death order. None of the 40% kit has ever made MOQ in history, not even close (not qithout some kind of miracles). If you are separating these keys as kit, then might as well not have them at all.

Considering that only 2 sets have offered a 40s kit per se so far (9009 and Serika) and that only one of those run through Massdrop, I strongly disagree with you and Jamón will keep its 40s kit. I don't have 9009 numbers, but I have Serika's and having 65 kits sold out of 466 base kits it's not that bad (13% of the orders!). In fact, I regret not having done this for Nautilus.

CP vs RAL 090-90-10.

Just for the sake of clarity: colors are definitely not final, and there are other RAL samples that I'll also test.

But here's what I can say about this one: while GMK has a good range of what we could say neutral whites, but I'm looking for a slightly beige white (as Puddsy has rightly pointed out).

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 10:12:32 »

Considering that only 2 sets have offered a 40s kit per se so far (9009 and Serika) and that only one of those run through Massdrop, I strongly disagree with you and Jamón will keep its 40s kit. I don't have 9009 numbers, but I have Serika's and having 65 kits sold out of 466 base kits it's not that bad (13% of the orders!). In fact, I regret not having done this for Nautilus.

Show Image

CP vs RAL 090-90-10.

Just for the sake of clarity: colors are definitely not final, and there are other RAL samples that I'll also test.

But here's what I can say about this one: while GMK has a good range of what we could say neutral whites, but I'm looking for a slightly beige white (as Puddsy has rightly pointed out).

Maybe GMK Camping's cream color could be an option? I'm waiting for it to ship to see how it looks as fine legends as I could imagine using it for GMK Space Cadet.

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 10:25:27 »
Can we get some good charcuterie novelties?
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 10:28:46 »

Show Image

CP vs RAL 090-90-10.

Maybe GMK Camping's cream color could be an option? I'm waiting for it to ship to see how it looks as fine legends as I could imagine using it for GMK Space Cadet.

The reference I've from SA (not GMK) Camping is that it uses WCK, which I have a color chip of. And it's definitely not the colour I'm going for. 90 90 10 is darker.

Offline gnunin

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 13:13:45 »
I'd rather see you not move away from the RAL 090-90-10. To me it's the perfect "white" for this set. It even looks juicy.

Offline blighty

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 13:33:39 »

Out of the 65 kits sold with Serika, how many only bought it for the alpha-colored split space keys?  I doubt I was the only person to do that.  I understand the thinking that if someone has/can afford a board that uses a split space configuration, you can afford to buy the 40s kit, but I don't really agree with it.  Then again, I really wanted the alpha-matching spacebars, and didn't care if I had to the 40s kit to do it.  I think i'm just shaking my fist at my own opulence... LOL
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 16:31:55 »
I never knew I needed a set based on high class pork.
Those 1u enter keys in the 40s kit are really cute.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 02:38:36 »

You are very out of touch.

GMK Olivia and GMK Phantom also offered 40% kit. A lot sets in IC stage are also considering this (Yellow on black being one). GMK Violet Tendencies had it integrated to its base kit (and has been the only successful delivery of 40% without begging for a miracle). 9009 and Olivia made it only because a vendor stepped in bought more than half of the MOQ.

The 40% kit of GMK Serika failed the MOQ miserably, and I'm sure you knew that better than anyone.

Nautilus had Planck compatibility merged into the Ergodox and it was the most stupid thing ever, spending $100 just for 3 keys those were short of from base kit. I'm surprised you haven't heard of any complaint about it.

Just sharing my perspective, as a 40% user. Putting it into the base kit is the only way to get what I need.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2018, 02:49:37 by SwordLaker »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 06:15:39 »
Just sharing my perspective, as a 40% user. Putting it into the base kit is the only way to get what I need.

And as a non-40% user, I'd say no to 40s keys in base kit. Why should I pay more?  :))

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 06:48:20 »
First, adding 40s keys to the base kit might be the ideal scenario for you, but not for the majority of people interested on this set. What most people want is GMK keycaps for an affordable price, and adding even more keys to the base kit isn't going to help on that quest. Enormous compatibility = Higher prices.

This doesn't mean that I haven't considered the addition of dedicated 40% compatibility for the Core kit but I don't want to have limited compatibility (like Violent Tendencies had to do due to the size of the base kit) or add at least 20 more keys to Jamón's Core when people are already complaining about current GMK pricing, which has been rising not only because Euro stabilized but also because we keep adding more and more keys to the main kits.

Granted, if my intention wasn't running this kit on Massdrop, which has quite a notable exposure compared to other vendors, then the approach would have been completely different. First, the Core kit would have been smaller, there wouldn't be EŃE kit, and 40s would have been removed.

And yes, GMK Serika's 40s didn't reach 100 units, but that doesn't mean that the kit would work for more popular sets. The approach I'm taking is to offer an affordable Core, so more and more people get to join the GB and higher we reach higher MOQs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2018, 07:04:39 by Zambumon »

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 18:43:33 »
I'd love for R0 and R5 to be included. Looking forward to this happening.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 21:27:26 »
The beige highlight keys may be more useful if they were standard L9. Particularly the space bar kit. Being highlights it is not really clear why you want to use a custom color for them. Just my two cents.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 00:41:26 »
The expectation that a GMK base kit should cater for 40% and grid layouts is worth addressing by keyset designers.

It wasn't that long ago that GMK base sets weren't much more than 100% winkey layout plus a winkeyless bottom row (7U spacebar, 1.5U mods). Throw in an ISO Enter and short shifts to almost please those using ISO. HHKB support? GTFO you weirdo. 1800 support? Who the hell owns an 1800 layout keyboard? Keep using your stock beige set, you weirdo. /s

Have a look at something like GMK Triumph Adler:

If Zambumon were to use that as his base kit these days, the pitchforks would come out.

Remember when GMK Hyperfuse round 1 was lauded for it's support of not only 65% but 1800 layouts? And HHKB as well? And more ISO support? Wow. BunnyLake, you're our hero.

As more custom keyboards with "non-standard" layouts were made, the demand for those layouts in base kits grew. Support for 65%, 1800 and HHKB layout increased. It made sense to add this to a base kit, as there is a lot of overlap. For example, a split right shift supports all three of these layouts. And in turn, all that support in keysets meant that it was feasible to make more "non-standard" custom keyboards that would work with those layouts.

A base kit supporting winkeyless/65%/1800/HHKB/Basic ISO is already a huge number of keys. People generally don't mind subsidizing layouts they don't plan to use, as it's reciprocated. e.g. Johnny doesn't do HHKB but he doesn't mind those few extra keys in his base kit because all those other people who do use HHKB will buy into this keyset groupbuy and make it reach MOQ (or hopefully a price break).

So adding more keys to a base set needs to be justified... that the increase in sales (more buyers because more *potential* buyers) will offset the cost of those extra keys by reaching a price break and bringing the price of the base kit on par with what it would be without those extra keys.

Why is adding 40% support now any different to how 65%/1800/HHKB support was added in the past?

The perception is that the number of 40% users are low, and nagging for 40% support is basically asking for everyone who doesn't use 40% (which is the majority) to subsidize their niche within a niche keyboards for zero benefit. The price of the set increases due to the extra keys, but it's not offset by more sales, it doesn't reach a price break, and we're all left grumbling about the high price of the base set.

There's also the perception that 40%s are a bit of a novelty. Giving up an F-row is one thing, but a whole number row as well? You're all crazy! /s

Plus also, in the past, 40% users made do with caps in the wrong profile or with wrong legend. Expecting blank "shift" keys and row 2 Esc keys is expecting "perfect" coverage. There's a sense of entitlement that the keyset has to match in profile and legend.

If I'm totally wrong and there are thousands of 40% users out there all wanting GMK keysets, then they can show their numbers by buying a "40% kit" when offered, even if they only need a few keys from that kit, because that's the equivalent of what everyone else is doing when they buy a base kit and only use the 60% keys - subsidizing the other people who use different layouts to themselves. They can pay that premium for perfect coverage with profile and legend, instead of just using whatever cap fits that space, which IIRC is how those layouts were designed in the first place, designed to use the keys in existing keysets, not future keysets with perfect coverage for profile and legend.

I know it sucks. Sometimes for lulz, I see how many kits of an SA keyset I need to buy to cover my winkeyless 65% with split backspace and row 3 control, LMFAO and then close the tab. I like buying a GMK base set that covers what I use and plan to use in the future (yes, I stick to 60% and above).

But seriously, you can't expect a GMK base set to keep increasing in size to accommodate new layouts, new keyboards... it's got to stop somewhere, and IMHO the time to stop is now.

This rant was brought to you by the letter Ń

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 14:43:34 »
there is no standard for 40% support like there is for HHKB, 1800, and 65%

when there is, i'll be alright with it being added to base kits

it's the same reason a lot of sets don't include a full NORDE kit in the base
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 12:40:10 »
RAL 90 90 10  :)) (white accents & legends)

Serika's Final Color Palette by Zambumon

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 15:54:24 »
there is no standard for 40% support like there is for HHKB, 1800, and 65%

when there is, i'll be alright with it being added to base kits

it's the same reason a lot of sets don't include a full NORDE kit in the base

I agree with this. Though it's important to also consider that part of the reason there's no standard for cap sizes for 40%s is because there's not been very many good keycap sets that offer any potential compatibility so designers have gotten creative with allowing for rows to be offset enabling use of normal base kits.

Another point I think is important here is that offering perfect legend/aesthetic fits on 40% kit on base kit may be too much to expect but I think it'd be really awesome to at least have the potential for the right profile.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 June 2018, 16:03:20 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:14:47 »
Excited to see the novelties that you end up choosing!

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:17:27 »
any chance of having orange accents instead of white? lol

Offline aya3154

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:19:49 »
RAL 90 90 10  :)) (white accents & legends)

Show Image
Serika's Final Color Palette by Zambumon

Juicy colors :p

Offline Lndefinite

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:27:56 »

But I don't want orange ham :(

Offline wikkiwikki420

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:15:29 »
I am going to say HECK YEAH probably my favorite I've seen since samurai.
GMK Terror and GMK Slasher damn it.

Offline godlikekitten

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:19:41 »
if there isn't a ham novelty I'm reporting this thread

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:57:29 »
if there isn't a ham novelty I'm reporting this thread

don't make more work for the mods

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:39:21 »

None, I don't have any plans to add any extra colors.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:40:40 »
ily zambu

Offline base

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:47:18 »
None, I don't have any plans to add any extra colors.

:thumb: She's already perfect.

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:06:45 »

And yes, GMK Serika's 40s didn't reach 100 units, but that doesn't mean that the kit would work for more popular sets. The approach I'm taking is to offer an affordable Core, so more and more people get to join the GB and higher we reach higher MOQs.

This is highly appreciated. I know everyone wants to have their ideal, niche kit but it really makes something that's already a luxury purchase even harder to justify financially.

Offline Bits

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:12:45 »
Already loving the colors and the ene set! Can't wait to see what novelties are added!

Offline MrTq

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 22:23:35 »
I love red color. I'm in  :-*

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 01:57:56 »
This looks nice. Food themed keyset by zambumon is always awesome. Gmk chocolatier? Lol

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:47:59 »
This looks nice. Food themed keyset by zambumon is always awesome. Gmk chocolatier? Lol

That won't happen soon, my #1 priority is Jamón.

Offline nxtruong

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 10:10:29 »
Interested. Love the colorway!  :thumb:

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 17:57:14 »

If it happens then im in. Both jamon and chocolatier would fit my red keyboard

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 18:58:12 »

If it happens then im in. Both jamon and chocolatier would fit my red keyboard

;D

Offline gnunin

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 23:55:26 »
 :eek: :-* :-* :-*

First Serika, then Jamon - The Pinnacle of Keyset Development & now Chocolatier. Man, you on a roll. Insta-buy.

Offline Drclick

• aka 鸡巴博士
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 03:48:30 »

some pic from kbdlab.
more here

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 10:47:56 »
Great imitation. Totally in for this set.

Offline dimo

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 11:59:51 »
Show Image

Show Image

some pic from kbdlab.
more here

Almost a perfect match other than small changes. Great example though

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 15:28:52 »
Need this in my life. Unfortunately had to miss out on Red Samurai, but this would be a great first red set!

Offline Velvet_Crowe

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:51:58 »
I really like the white accents. I think this set would look amazing on the velvet singa
Current daily: OTD 356mini v1 (Red) | OTD 356CL (Gunmetal) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Black) | zekk.works Ogre (Dark Grey) | Noxary Vulcan Pro (Silver/Red) | 488 Pista Spider (Red)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 14:56:07 »
I really like the white accents. I think this set would look amazing on the velvet singa
Your username checks out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline kimwonsik

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:40:27 »
I'm very excited.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 07:20:47 »
Lets get these 2 up for gb. Wooohoooo!! :p

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 19:06:47 »
*hopes* Jamon is happening before Chocolatier, right?