Author Topic: [IC] SA Green Book  (Read 10815 times)

Offline hhkbp2

[IC] SA Green Book
« on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:41:49 »

Welcome to the IC thread of

SA Green Book

Origin

The movie Green Book won the Best Picture at the 2019 Oscars. It tells a story that a working-class Italian-American bouncer becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South. It's an inspiring movie with a special story, solid writing, wonderful characters' acting and fantastic music, etc. I watched this movie a while ago and felt really impressed by its light-weight feel and glowing spirit. And I saw the posters of this movie many times in different places. They had a simple theme in turquoise, white colors. Bright colors, light-weight theme, just like the feel of the movie. Then I realized it's also a good theme for a keyset.

Design

The keyset mainly uses a simple theme with turquoise background and white fonts, just like the posters of the movie. And it takes in a few elements in the movie as novelties. For example, the "Green Book" novelties key is from the little book that Tony Lip carried around when he drove Don Shirley to the deep south in 1962; the "LUCKY STONE" novelties key is from little jade stone that Tony and Don argued about at first, and made peace with later in the movie. It's hard to visualize these concepts/items to icons so I prefer to keeping them as text. I hope this keyset design would express part of the light-weight feel and glowing spirit of the movie Green Book.

Details

Manufacture:     Signature Plastics
Production:       ABS double shot, MX mount
Profile:             SA 1-1-2-3-4-4

I plan to run the IC for a while. If there is enough interest, we might have a GB later. More renders will come up soon. No any schedule for GB date, vendor, etc. yet.

Renders

Special Thanks

I would like to give a big thank to all those who helped or contributed to the project(in alphabetical order)

Foxlab
Rama Works
York.Chan

Add a banner to your signature to support this project:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101080.0][img width=240 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/mSBCWxX.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:14:05 by hhkbp2 »

Offline hhkbp2

Re: [IC] SA Green Book
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:42:11 »
Timeline:

* 2019.06.11 added explanation and render, revised kits
* 2019.06.07 initialized IC thread

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:33:48 by hhkbp2 »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:44:48 »
No BEST PICTURE novelty? :P

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:56:08 »

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 15:02:06 »
Honestly, it's a little too underdeveloped for it to be an IC. It comes across as more of an idea.

A few thoughts: I haven't watched the movie, so I don't know if the font/styling of the fried chicken/green book novelties are a very specific reference, but it feels really out of place in this color scheme.

Most of the colors you chose for the novelties seem odd and don't work well with monochrome the base kit imo. This is where a decent set of renders would've come in handy to show whether or not they work well together.

Maybe try playing around with the color of the legends/modifiers in the novelties to see what color combinations work better. It would also be nice to have a more in-depth explanation as to why you thought the Green Book was a good point of inspiration for this set. As far as I can tell from the trailer, the movie isn't particularly striking visually. Since the visuals alone aren't all that memorable, you could at least share why the themes of the movie work for the design of the set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 15:04:45 »
Honestly, it's a little too underdeveloped for it to be an IC. It comes across as more of an idea.

A few thoughts: I haven't watched the movie, so I don't know if the font/styling of the fried chicken/green book novelties are a very specific reference, but it feels really out of place in this color scheme.

Most of the colors you chose for the novelties seem odd and don't work well with monochrome the base kit imo. This is where a decent set of renders would've come in handy to show whether or not they work well together.

Maybe try playing around with the color of the legends/modifiers in the novelties to see what color combinations work better. It would also be nice to have a more in-depth explanation as to why you thought the Green Book was a good point of inspiration for this set. As far as I can tell from the trailer, the movie isn't particularly striking visually. Since the visuals alone aren't all that memorable, you could at least share why the themes of the movie work for the design of the set.

Eh actually, forget what I said about most of the novelties feeling off. I think it's mainly just the Fried Chicken/Green book and the red keys. I was generalizing too much there.

Offline rowie

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:33:25 »
I like the set except for the novelty.  The fried chicken bothers me as I do not like to associate food and keycaps together and plus personally I’m vegan.  However,  I love the color scheme so I’ll follow along and see how this turns out.

Offline dk4one

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 20:48:55 »
LOVE text novelties. +1 for SA. Will buy!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 22:46:09 »

Eh actually, forget what I said about most of the novelties feeling off. I think it's mainly just the Fried Chicken/Green book and the red keys. I was generalizing too much there.

Hi,

Some renders would help the IC indeed. Since the 3D rendering guy who I worked with is busy recently, so the 3D renders would come later. I guess the IC is mainly about verifying the idea, so I just posted with 2D kit pictures. It's usual that the design and kits would need to be tuned towards its matureness.

The movie Green Book won the Best Picture at the 2019 Oscars. It described

A working-class Italian-American bouncer becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South.

Quoted from IMDB

It's hard and cumbersome to elaborate the Movie here. So I will not go any further. Most of the novelties come from the content of this movie, e.g., Green Book is the little book that Tony Lip carried around when he drove Don Shirley to the deep south in 1962. The font style and colors for this novelties key are from this book. It's understandable that you might find it's really confusing about these novelties keys, without seeing the movie.

In term of matching novelties keys colors to the base kit, I could understand there are so many colors introduced. They might be too many, some might look off to match the base. At the beginning, I started with two or three colors that picked up from the movie. As I was playing around with the 2D layouts, some more elements from the movie came up and I took them in, like Kentucky Fried Chicken that Tony Lip shared with Don Shirley during the tour, and the little jade stone that they argued about at first, and made peace with later. Although there are so many keys and colors, but I think it will crash the base if all of them are poured down to the base. If only a few are used, they looked fine to me, e.g., using only 2.25u Green Book and 1u Life in a 60% layout. But your comments are noticed. I will think twice about making the colors slim and concentrated. And add short notes for keys.

Thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 23:03:32 by hhkbp2 »

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 23:02:24 »
I like the set except for the novelty.  The fried chicken bothers me as I do not like to associate food and keycaps together and plus personally I’m vegan.  However,  I love the color scheme so I’ll follow along and see how this turns out.

Sorry about that! The Fried Chicken novelties is from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" that Tony Lip shared with Don Shirley in the movie. It's one important thing that brought these two characters closer in the movie, so I added this novelties key. I had no idea it would bother you because you're vegan. And it's a new angle to see things, in the way associating food and keycaps as you mentioned. Your support is appreciated!

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 23:11:53 »

Hi,

Some renders would help the IC indeed. Since the 3D rendering guy who I worked with is busy recently, so the 3D renders would come later. I guess the IC is mainly about verifying the idea, so I just posted with 2D kit pictures. It's usual that the design and kits would need to be tuned towards its matureness.

The movie Green Book won the Best Picture at the 2019 Oscars. It described

A working-class Italian-American bouncer becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South.

Quoted from IMDB

It's hard and cumbersome to elaborate the Movie here. So I will not go any further. Most of the novelties come from the content of this movie, e.g., Green Book is the little book that Tony Lip carried around when he drove Don Shirley to the deep south in 1962. The font style and colors for this novelties key are from this book. It's understandable that you might find it's really confusing about these novelties keys, without seeing the movie.

In term of matching novelties keys colors to the base kit, I could understand there are so many colors introduced. They might be too many, some might look off to match the base. At the beginning, I started with two or three colors that picked up from the movie. As I was playing around with the 2D layouts, some more elements from the movie came up and I took them in, like Kentucky Fried Chicken that Tony Lip shared with Don Shirley during the tour, and the little jade stone that they argued about at first, and made peace with later. Although there are so many keys and colors, but I think it will crash the base if all of them are poured down to the base. If only a few are used, they looked fine to me, e.g., using only 2.25u Green Book and 1u Life in a 60% layout. But your comments are noticed. I will think twice about making the colors slim and concentrated. And add short notes for keys.

Thanks for your comments!

Hey, I appreciate you being receptive to the feedback. I'm looking forward to how the design for this set grows over time! I wish you the best.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 23:48:29 »
The cyan color reminds me of the Maxkey cyan set, or Fluffy Clouds which I think is currently running.

One thing that I think will be confusing is the fact that the set isn't really "green", and a lot of people won't know about the movie.

Something about the fully uniform color makes me think it should have a more uniform profile, maybe 1-2-3-3-3-4. But that's obviously up to your preference.

This is the worst ****ing interest check and keycap idea I've ever seen. It's honestly offensive.

Slow down there. We can't all afford $100 worth of renders.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 23:48:56 »
This is the worst ****ing interest check and keycap idea I've ever seen. It's honestly offensive.

That's fine if that's your opinion, but at least provide some constructive criticism or don't speak at all. That kind of language is not helpful to the OP who probably put more time into this then you realize.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 02:41:43 »

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 03:45:12 »
The cyan color reminds me of the Maxkey cyan set, or Fluffy Clouds which I think is currently running.

One thing that I think will be confusing is the fact that the set isn't really "green", and a lot of people won't know about the movie.

Something about the fully uniform color makes me think it should have a more uniform profile, maybe 1-2-3-3-3-4. But that's obviously up to your preference.

:D A great lot of the posters of the movie Green Book were in this turquoise(blue-green) color, not literally pure green, even though the movie's name Green Book has the word "green". This color was from the car 1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille in the movie. Since the keyset is inspired by the movie, the keyset follows the same convention like the posters.

In terms of colors, there are two main colors white, turquoise. I use WFK for white. It's an usual choice as snow white for SP ABS. And the code BBQ did a pretty close match to the turquoise color in the poster. Currently I use it for renders(no matter 2D or coming 3D). It's possible to switch to a customized color option for a closer match. Before GB, I usually do color matching/determination using real thing in my hands, like keycaps or color chips, these colors  (including the novelties ones) would be possible to changed/tuned util then.

Seeing some pictures of Maxkey cyan, this turquoise color doesn't look quite close to it. As for Fluffy Clouds, I don't know it before. Thanks for the reminder. Fluffy Clouds used WFK and BBQ. The two main colors WFK, BBQ are the same, but I guess it would not be conflicting because Fluffy Clouds has a reversed alpha/mod theme, uniform profile, and for compatibility it only provides kits to fit Ortho layouts. Besides, Fluffy Clouds is running a GB already, ending in this June. Even if it's possible, the GB for this keyset will run months and months after SA Fluffy Clounds GB finishes. It will not affect the sale of SA Fluffy Clounds.

I'm not sure whether fully uniform color is a trend, but I do feel like I'm seeing more and more keysets in uniform colors these two years. For SA Green Book, it just simply follows the color theme of these movie posters to have a whole background of turquoise, and some white in the foreground(and for all these fonts). No intent to follow this potential uniform color trend. The profile would stick to be sculpted rather than all R3, starting with 1-1-2-3-... It's more popular to have sculpted profile nowadays.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2019, 03:56:35 by hhkbp2 »

Offline thearctican

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 07:54:33 »

:D A great lot of the posters of the movie Green Book were in this turquoise(blue-green) color, not literally pure green, even though the movie's name Green Book has the word "green". This color was from the car 1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille in the movie. Since the keyset is inspired by the movie, the keyset follows the same convention like the posters.

In terms of colors, there are two main colors white, turquoise. I use WFK for white. It's an usual choice as snow white for SP ABS. And the code BBQ did a pretty close match to the turquoise color in the poster. Currently I use it for renders(no matter 2D or coming 3D). It's possible to switch to a customized color option for a closer match. Before GB, I usually do color matching/determination using real thing in my hands, like keycaps or color chips, these colors  (including the novelties ones) would be possible to changed/tuned util then.

Seeing some pictures of Maxkey cyan, this turquoise color doesn't look quite close to it. As for Fluffy Clouds, I don't know it before. Thanks for the reminder. Fluffy Clouds used WFK and BBQ. The two main colors WFK, BBQ are the same, but I guess it would not be conflicting because Fluffy Clouds has a reversed alpha/mod theme, uniform profile, and for compatibility it only provides kits to fit Ortho layouts. Besides, Fluffy Clouds is running a GB already, ending in this June. Even if it's possible, the GB for this keyset will run months and months after SA Fluffy Clounds GB finishes. It will not affect the sale of SA Fluffy Clounds.

I'm not sure whether fully uniform color is a trend, but I do feel like I'm seeing more and more keysets in uniform colors these two years. For SA Green Book, it just simply follows the color theme of these movie posters to have a whole background of turquoise, and some white in the foreground(and for all these fonts). No intent to follow this potential uniform color trend. The profile would stick to be sculpted rather than all R3, starting with 1-1-2-3-... It's more popular to have sculpted profile nowadays.
Why not call it SA DeVille then?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:36:03 »

Well. The car is just one element of the whole movie. This keyset was inspired by the movie, not by the car only, although one of the main color came from the car. It's intuitive to jump to the name SA Green Book rather than SA DeVille. It's just like, the SA Chocolitier keyset is not called SA Wonka. In the other hand, if we want to design a keyset to pay homage to the car only using similar colors, to be precise the name should be SA 1960 Sedan DeVille. Because DeVille is the name of series of Cadillac, which includes so many models/versions. A lot of these models were classic ones. It's confusing to use only one model to represent all the DeVille series. People would think that's not the specified DeVille they knew. And then the novelties would only have car stuff not related to Green Book.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:37:42 by hhkbp2 »

Offline thearctican

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:43:17 »

Well. The car is just one element of the whole movie. This keyset was inspired by the movie, not by the car only, although one of the main color came from the car. It's intuitive to jump to the name SA Green Book rather than SA DeVille. It's just like, the SA Chocolitier keyset is not called SA Wonka. In the other hand, if we want to design a keyset to pay homage to the car only using similar colors, to be precise the name should be SA 1960 Sedan DeVille. Because DeVille is the name of series of Cadillac, which includes so many models/versions. A lot of these models were classic ones. It's confusing to use only one model to represent all the DeVille series. People would think that's not the specified DeVille they knew. And then the novelties would only have car stuff not related to Green Book.
SA DeVille is catchier, and so far seems like the strongest point of inspiration for the set. 

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:47:59 »
SA DeVille is catchier, and so far seems like the strongest point of inspiration for the set. 

Thanks for your suggestion. But I think SA Green Book is a better name.  :p
We don't have trouble to use the name Green Book, do we?

Offline dk4one

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:50:26 »
Just ignore those weird comments man. Why does the fact that somebody is a vegan has anything to do with a keyset? Cool, you're a vegan, but keep it to yourself. I LOVE everythinv about this set. I really do. Plus hhkbp2 is a very respected veteran in the community with past successful projects (SA symbiosis 2.0 with all redesigned legends). I am not doubting you one bit!

Green Book is perfectly fine!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 09:39:39 »
Just ignore those weird comments man. Why does the fact that somebody is a vegan has anything to do with a keyset? Cool, you're a vegan, but keep it to yourself. I LOVE everythinv about this set. I really do. Plus hhkbp2 is a very respected veteran in the community with past successful projects (SA symbiosis 2.0 with all redesigned legends). I am not doubting you one bit!

Green Book is perfectly fine!

Hey man, Thanks a lot for your support! Since the Symbiosis R2 is still waiting for production and delivery, to be honest I would consider its status as pending rather than successful. I'm just a common member of this community, though I took one step forward to try to carry out some keyset design.  ;D

I think the best part about running a keyset design/groupby is the communication. It's the communication that make us feel connected to this community. People out of this hobby would not understand, they would say "what's the fun to play some keyboards in front of the desk alone for hours?" I like to talk to people. When running an IC, I try to be open to hear and response to any idea/suggestion/comment, to take some other angles to see things, as long as these ideas/suggestions/comments are constructive. No all suggestions taken in of course. Sometimes it's impossible to please everyone. As for some sick comments that contain no constructive opinion but just words for emotional venting, I would simply ignore.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 13:27:47 »
i feel like you may have missed the point of the movie with this one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 13:36:39 »
i feel like you may have missed the point of the movie with this one

May I ask, what's the point of the movie in your opinion?

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 14:25:00 »

May I ask, what's the point of the movie in your opinion?
Can't even remember the last time Puddsy posted something with a point.

Edit: Love the set brother. I went deep on symbiosis, and promise to do the same if you move this into GB. Lovely color! <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2019, 14:43:20 by otanishock »

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 02:52:02 »
Update:

Added renders, and modified the novelties and kits.

Offline Gert Fischer

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 04:00:21 »
Liked the movie a lot, this teal colorway is not my thing though.

Offline Jinnnxxu

• U only live once
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 12:09:24 »
WOLAILA WOZOULA
Ins: Jinnnxxu     Discord:Jinnnxxu#9644    
Exclusive: E8V1 | E7V1 x14 | E7-VX | E6V2 x1 | E6V2 PE x7 | E6.5 x9 | E7SE x3 | E8.5 x5
Matrix: 1.0RE | 1.2RE | Abel | Abel+ | Cain | 2.0 x8 | 2.2 x8 | Abel-x x4 | M6 x2 | 1.2OG x15 | Project F x2 | 2.0AD x15 | Noah x3 | Mr. Hat x3 | 2.0VK x1
Rama: M60-A x4 | M65-A x2 | M6-A 88edition | M6-B | KOYU x3 | M60-A SEQ2 X4 | M6-C x2 | U80 x5 | M10-C | M6-C | M60 LNY x2 | M60 Olivia x2 | M65-B x5
FOX: Leaf 80 x4 | Leaf 60 x4 | Key65 x5      TGR:Jane V2 | 910RE | Jane V2 CE x2     Percent: Canoe x3 | Maze x2 | Skog lite | Canoe FE x2
Others: Mira SE x2 | Jermini | C225 x2 | INETT Cross x2 | Kira 80 | Kira 60 | Zephyr 65 R2 | Space 65 x2 | Volcano 660 x3 | INETT Square80 x4 | INETT Square68 x6 | FMJ 80 x2 | Keycult No.2 x1 | Thermal x2

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 12:22:38 »
>putting the "wife" key on the escape switch

Offline mimalik

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 12:07:55 »
Any plans to break TKL, alphas & numpad? Will make it more appealing to broader audience, and SP has no issues in spliting unlike GMK.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 22:10:10 »
Any plans to break TKL, alphas & numpad? Will make it more appealing to broader audience, and SP has no issues in spliting unlike GMK.

The google form is calculated in separate kits, Alpha, Mod, etc. A merged layout of all kits is useful to show what they look like. No further plan for what will be presented as a GB util it gets enough interest.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 23:15:34 »
deleted upon reconsideration because meh crappy American politics
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 August 2019, 23:20:47 by nguyenhimself »

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:13:23 »
I decide to lock this thread because I think it went far enough and deviated from what I expect for this keyset design from the beginning.

The development of this keyset will continue and I will try to work on the theme and then pull off a GB later when appropriate. For all voters I have your emails and you should be notified then.

Thanks for all your support! Ciao.