Author Topic: Cherry MX Switch removal help  (Read 4195 times)

Offline xmrxkrazy

Cherry MX Switch removal help
« on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 19:40:51 »
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble desoldering and removing the switches from my Filco TKL browns. I'm not sure how to remove all the solder from the joint since the little amount of solder is what's keeping the switch from getting out. I'm not sure how much give the switches can take until it messes the entire thing up. If anyone has helpful advice, please help me out! Thanks.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 19:43:26 »
Do you have a solder sucker?  Solder wick?  flux?  More solder?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline N8N

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 19:47:07 »
Here's how I did mine.  I desoldered first with just an iron and solder sucker, then if there was visible solder left I actually *resoldered* with 60/40 and desoldered again.  Some of the switches were still persistent, what I did then was gently tried to pry the switch up with a screwdriver (releasing one of the tabs) until I could see which of the pads was still holding it.  Then while keeping the screwdriver in place I put the iron on the problem pad(s) until it gave.  then I released the other tab and removed the switch.

If you are trying to remove the PCB, I think you pretty much have to completely remove each switch individually from the plate.  I don't think it's possible to desolder cleanly enough to just desolder all 208 points and lift the PCB off.

Edit: you don't have to use 60/40, probably 63/37 would actually be preferable, but that's what Rat Shack had when I went shopping for that project.  Just don't use the RoHS crap unless you are doing serious production work; the leaded stuff is way easier to work with for the hobbyist.

good luck
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline xmrxkrazy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 20:10:21 »
Thanks for the replies. I do have 63/37, a solder sucker, and a wick. I don't have flux. Gonna try what N8N suggested. If anyone else has any other tips or tricks, please share!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 20:19:16 »
sure you can do the push method that i just did with 100 cherries.
basically solder and suck out the joints, now of course there's gonna be a tiny bit left still stuck on, so what i do is use my left hand and hold onto the switch, then with my right hand i press the iron to the solder joints and at this point the joints become liquid, so you can just push them out, either by using the iron and pushing out the pins, or at the same time using the left hand and "pulling" the switch out. (swap hands if you're left handed). Seriously this is what i just did 4 hours ago to 100+ switches. just a solder iron, and solder sucker/pump.

Offline xmrxkrazy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 20:29:18 »
Alright!! I got 2 now!! 85 more to go!! and then 87 from the other board which I am going to switch them out of. And then resoldering. Thank goodness this is so fun...
This is gonna be a long night -_-"

Offline N8N

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 20:35:46 »
what are you changing them to?  I'm assuming clears, ergos, or ghetto reds?  In any case good luck and enjoy the results.  I've been using a Filco with clears at work and it's so nice to be using a quality keyboard with the switches that I like.  Just keep that in mind while you're doing it, and don't think that you have to get it all done right away.  (unless you have a cat, in which case you probably shouldn't leave little parts lying around...)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline IlikeGravy

Re: Cherry MX Switch removal help
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 21:12:44 »
Bumping this old thread.

I am currently having problems desoldering a switch from my filco. It just won't budge. It looks like I have removed all of the solder and what seems to be stuck is the thicker pin. How do I get this switch out?

Offline IlikeGravy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 02:24:48 »
are you using a sucker or strip?

a sucker

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 11:17:02 »
Do you mean the plastic center is stuck in the pcb? I just jab them with a screwdriver, out they pop.

Offline IlikeGravy

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:03:56 »
Do you mean the plastic center is stuck in the pcb? I just jab them with a screwdriver, out they pop.

That part I got to move freely. Of the two connector pins, one of them seems to be stuck. It looks thicker than the other pin, but i could be wrong. It won't budge for some reason, and I think I may have damaged it from applying lots of force trying to get it out.  :(

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:10:40 »
Try adding some solder then desolder again. You most likely missed a bit.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline IlikeGravy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:14:25 »
Try adding some solder then desolder again. You most likely missed a bit.

The pin itself seems to be free. I can wiggle it around a bit. Ugh, this is so frustrating.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 01:42:30 »
Have you tried milk? Or urine?

Offline megaforce

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 21:41:58 »
Any tips on desoldering the little pesky LEDs?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)