Author Topic: Shine 3 TKL behavior...  (Read 11782 times)

Offline regack

Shine 3 TKL behavior...
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 07:34:29 »
I'm pretty sure this isn't right, but I thought I would check before trying to RMA the board... the one firmware update (v1.1.6) specifies 108 keys, so I wasn't sure about applying that. 

Anyway, the board arrived yesterday, and I finally got it hooked it up this morning.  Basically the LEDs on F1 & F5 never turn off, ever... and the LEDs on F2, F3, F4, F6, F7, F8, never come on.   I had the Spacebar RGB in demo mode and managed to catch the picture JUST between colors (what luck  :-[ ), but those RGB LEDs work fine.

43257-0

Keypresses all register fine.

Offline uberknarf

Re: Shine 3 TKL behavior...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:52:59 »
Fn + F9 fixes that on a full board; I'd expect that it's the same on a TKL. I'll verify once I receive mine. Expect that next week.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:54:31 »
Fn + F9 fixes that on a full board; I'd expect that it's the same on a TKL. I'll verify once I receive mine. Expect that next week.

For reference, what is that key combination - some sort of keyboard reset?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Syren__

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:13:46 »
Alright so the FN+F9 combination changes the view from the USB repeat mode to the keyboard lighting mode.  This way you can press FN+F9 to see the repeat mode you set (the first thing in the manual).  It isn't a board reset or anything just a view settings toggle of sorts.  You can reset the board by holding both windows keys for~3 seconds.  This resets all lighting modes on the board and any custom lighting modes you record.  I however am trying to figure out how to toggle between my lighting modes and custom modes.  The manual says to use the same key combos as the USB repeat to cycle the remembered modes.  Any ideas?

Edit: Alright so to switch the custom modes it is actually FN+F11/F12. Other than that everything in the manual is correct so I'd recommend looking through that! ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:30:20 by Syren__ »
Rosewill RK-1000
Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX Brown
Ducky Year of the Monkey

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:14:13 »
Fn+F9 will bring back the LEDs on F2, F3, F4 etc. Basically what the keyboard is set to right now is repeat delay. F4 rate + F8 repeat allows for super fast repeat of the certain key pressed.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 19:19:08 »
So I guess it wasn't clear in the manual how FN+F9 changes the behavior of the LEDs in 'acceleration mode' so I guess I missed that.  I was also focusing more on the lighting sections and not that.  Anyway, thanks for the replies.  Everything is working as intended :D

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 22:02:04 »

Alright so the FN+F9 combination changes the view from the USB repeat mode to the keyboard lighting mode.  This way you can press FN+F9 to see the repeat mode you set (the first thing in the manual).  It isn't a board reset or anything just a view settings toggle of sorts.  You can reset the board by holding both windows keys for~3 seconds.  This resets all lighting modes on the board and any custom lighting modes you record.  I however am trying to figure out how to toggle between my lighting modes and custom modes.  The manual says to use the same key combos as the USB repeat to cycle the remembered modes.  Any ideas?

Edit: Alright so to switch the custom modes it is actually FN+F11/F12. Other than that everything in the manual is correct so I'd recommend looking through that! ;)

Sorry rowdy, somehow lost track of this thread - Syren had it nailed, on both the Fn+F9 (toggle status of F2-F4 and F6-F8 as either repeat indicators, or as regular keyboard lighting mode) and both Windows keys being factory reset. Fn+F11 recalls custom mode 1, and Fn+F12 toggles custom mode three. Fn+PrtScrn and +Pause record the two custom modes, and you can toggle each key on the board as on/off for each custom mode.

Manuals were based on a previous layout, hence the error on custom modes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 22:41:52 »

Sorry rowdy, somehow lost track of this thread - Syren had it nailed, on both the Fn+F9 (toggle status of F2-F4 and F6-F8 as either repeat indicators, or as regular keyboard lighting mode) and both Windows keys being factory reset. Fn+F11 recalls custom mode 1, and Fn+F12 toggles custom mode three. Fn+PrtScrn and +Pause record the two custom modes, and you can toggle each key on the board as on/off for each custom mode.

Manuals were based on a previous layout, hence the error on custom modes.

Wow!  Thanks for the update :)

Ducky keyboards have certainly come a long way from the original Ducky Shine (I have two of those).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uberknarf

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:34:57 »
No prob. :)

Shine 3 was my first backlit board, for gaming in the dark. I did a ton of research, and pulled the trigger because of the greater range of dimmability (?), along with build quality. These extra lighting modes are a pretty cool icing on the cake!