Author Topic: Jeroplane's G80-11900 Cleaning Adventure  (Read 5747 times)

Offline jeroplane

Jeroplane's G80-11900 Cleaning Adventure
« on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 08:55:06 »
Yesterday I BIN'd a "Multiscreen Communication Keyboard" on eBay for $15 on the suspicion that it looked like a rebranded Cherry G80-11900. I had previously asked the seller for more details/photos of the keyboard, but there was no response, so I decided to take the plunge anyway (this was the only image on the listing). When I went to pick up the thing locally today, my suspicions were confirmed, complete with black Cherry doubleshots and white relegendable Function keys.

I've previously looked around for keycap cleaning guides, and came across the old thread about using denture tabs to clean old keycaps. However, most of the images from there are missing. Since I had a bit of time tonight, I figured I would document my first time purchasing and harvesting the keycaps from an old Cherry board.

Hopefully this might also help some people looking to clean the keycaps on old boards they find.

Full album here.

THE KEYBOARD

This is the Cherry G80-11900HRMUS as received from the seller. Judging from its appearance and my observations at the seller's premises, it looked like this board had been sitting boxless in a back storage room for quite some time (there was even a tiny dead spider underneath the keys). However, thankfully the keys were in quite good shape - all of them have their original texture and only a few keycaps have small scratches.

Removing the keycaps revealed Cherry MX Blacks (and a Cherry MX Grey for the Space Bar).

THE PROCESS

1. While I was out, I also purchased some denture cleaning tabs from the pharmacy. This was the cheapest box I could find.

2. I placed 6 tabs at the bottom of a bowl (EDIT: 6 is way too many! Only 2-3 tabs is necessary to clean a full set), evenly spaced, and threw in the keycaps on top (the clear plastic covers were removed from the relegendables, but the stickers underneath were not in the hopes that the soaking would remove them for me - it did). Then, warm water from the tap was added. The tabs began to emit tiny bubbles which engulfed the keys, and the water turned blue. It also gave off a pleasant minty smell (this smell was not present after the keycaps were rinsed). The first photo here only has about a third of the keycaps in the bowl.

3. After an hour, the keycaps were removed and rinsed using a plastic vegetable strainer. They were then wiped with paper towel and placed on more paper towel to fully dry. The keycaps came out perfectly clean without any dirt or dust. No extra scrubbing was required. They were only wiped to remove water and speed up the drying process.

THE RESULTS

The effect of the cleaning was most noticeable on the relegendable keycaps due to them being white. The stickers fell off the keycaps easily following the soaking, and no dirt was visible. They now look brand new and it appears as though they got a little whiter. These photos were taken with identical lighting, exposure and white balance.

Before:

After:

Main keycaps:

And finally, my Filco Majestouch 2 with the keycaps replaced (as well as some TechKeys and RGB):

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 10:47:21 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
Re: Jeroplane's G80-11900 Cleaning Adventure
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:25:25 »
Nice find, your Moogle kit is gonna cost twice that.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Jeroplane's G80-11900 Cleaning Adventure
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 10:37:51 »
Not true, I just picked one up for $20.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 10:51:13 »
You'd probably only need 2-3 denture tabs at most for a full set =)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 14:16:48 »
A well-illustrated process.  And a smooth Filco at the end :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 14:41:41 »
That's a sharp looking board you have now! Nice job!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline modulor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 15:27:31 »
Nice find!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:40:31 »
Nice board to start with.

But the Filco looks sweet with the caps on it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 18:23:43 »
2shot cherry keys and 100+ black switches for $15, thats a steal
| Poker MX Red |

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 18:53:17 »

Yeah, figured as much. :P But I'm going to be patient and wait for a really good deal. I'm content with leaving the Filco Winkeys and Menu key for now - the RGB kit, in my eyes, helps to break it up so you don't really notice the difference. The only thing that bugs me a little is the Caps Lock, and I might just purchase one from TechKeys sometime. :)

You'd probably only need 2-3 denture tabs at most for a full set =)

The old guides said to use about 4-5, but yeah I agree that about 3 would do the job just fine too. Thought it would be no harm using more - what else would one really need denture tabs for. :P

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 19:49:59 »
That Filco looks so fresh.