Author Topic: WYSE double shots on Filcos?  (Read 12589 times)

Offline fl0w3n

WYSE double shots on Filcos?
« on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:03:49 »
I'm wondering if anyone can share what "older" double shots look like on a new board? 

Basically, I'm interested in picking up a WYSE board that has double shots on it, but I'm not sure how great the keys will look on my Filco (after being cleaned up, of course). 

Would anyone mind sharing any pictures they have of their "retro" new boards with "old" keys? 

This is the WYSE I'm thinking of picking up;

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: WYSE double shots on Filcos?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:11:09 »
I thought I had pictures of my WYSE set on my FC700R but I think because I didn't have a spacebar that would match I didn't take the picture. WYSE set in general just looks really nice if you check out DangWangs keyboard blog there are some pictures of WYSE on a white filco case that look awesome. The problem with WYSE sets is finding a moogle kit so everything matches and looks good together.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:13:08 »
They look really good on a new board
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:31:43 »
Sorry to jump on the thread, but I have some WYSE-related questions myself.

Will all WYSE caps fit Cherry MX switches, no matter what model it is? Or, which models should be sought after?

Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for a used WYSE keyboard for the sole purpose of taking the caps?

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:31:47 »
I thought I had pictures of my WYSE set on my FC700R but I think because I didn't have a spacebar that would match I didn't take the picture. WYSE set in general just looks really nice if you check out DangWangs keyboard blog there are some pictures of WYSE on a white filco case that look awesome. The problem with WYSE sets is finding a moogle kit so everything matches and looks good together.
Thanks for the link, currently my main is a white filco (actually, its on its way in the mail :p ) so I'll check that link for the pictures, really interested. 

I'm pretty new to the mech keyboard addiction, but I thought Moogle kits were to adapt Cherry keys to model M's?  Is it a kit to adapt older keys to new Cherry boards? 
Show Image

Oh my goodness.  Definitely grabbing the board then, that looks way better than I was expecting.  You had to match a spacebar to the kit?  I thought the 37 key was a little more grey, yours look very pure white?  Did you do heavy cleaning/bleaching or something? 

Thanks for the quick responses :)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:27:43 »
You have to get an adapter kit which is the replacement to caps lock, ctrl, windows, alt, menu, and spacebar keys.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:02:03 »
You have to get an adapter kit which is the replacement to caps lock, ctrl, windows, alt, menu, and spacebar keys.
Where do I get these from?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:47:05 »
There was a groupbuy for the modifiers kits here, but it ended some time ago and only a certain number were made. You would have to find someone willing to sell. Otherwise you could always order grey blanks of the missing keys from signature plastics.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:51:13 »
There was a groupbuy for the modifiers kits here, but it ended some time ago and only a certain number were made. You would have to find someone willing to sell. Otherwise you could always order grey blanks of the missing keys from signature plastics.
Grey blanks would be boring though :p I want the full effect haha. 

Ah, I guess I'll go on the hunt then.  Or...I could learn how to run a GB and get another one going? 

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:02:22 »
Thanks for the link, currently my main is a white filco (actually, its on its way in the mail :p ) so I'll check that link for the pictures, really interested. 

I'm pretty new to the mech keyboard addiction, but I thought Moogle kits were to adapt Cherry keys to model M's?  Is it a kit to adapt older keys to new Cherry boards? 
Show Image

Oh my goodness.  Definitely grabbing the board then, that looks way better than I was expecting.  You had to match a spacebar to the kit?  I thought the 37 key was a little more grey, yours look very pure white?  Did you do heavy cleaning/bleaching or something? 

Thanks for the quick responses :)

the 37key part is light gray, its a little overexposed in that picture. these were brand new caps so nothing else done to make them that color. Like others have said, it took a moogle kit to make the bottom row  and caps fit
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:09:01 »
the 37key part is light gray, its a little overexposed in that picture. these were brand new caps so nothing else done to make them that color. Like others have said, it took a moogle kit to make the bottom row  and caps fit

Ah okay, wow that's really great looking.  Despite not having the moogle kit, I may pickup the board(s) just so I have the keys and when a moogle kit does come along I'm ready.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:15:16 »
Also, the vintage black switches that come in those Wyse boards are desirable to quite a few people, so don't throw it out after just taking the keycaps.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:54:13 »

Will all WYSE caps fit Cherry MX switches, no matter what model it is? Or, which models should be sought after?

Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for a used WYSE keyboard for the sole purpose of taking the caps?
Get the WYSE PCE keyboards, as they have the best compatibility. After that, the WY-50 and 60 (and the WY-30, I guess) aren't too uncommon, but they require a lot more keys to make them fully compatible. My WY-50 came with thick doubleshots.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:58:53 »

Get the WYSE PCE keyboards, as they have the best compatibility. After that, the WY-50 and 60 (and the WY-30, I guess) aren't too uncommon, but they require a lot more keys to make them fully compatible. My WY-50 came with thick doubleshots.

Great, thanks.

The KU-8933 is useless as far as caps go?  And what about ASCII 901867-01?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 08:40:36 »
901867 is the same as 840338, it looks like the aforementioned WY-60 keyboard. You're probably better off getting the 901865 (alt PN is 840358, which I have) PCE keyboard for terminals. The KU-8933 is a RD AFAIK. Don't get a WYSE keyboard with windows keys.

The best catch is the PCE that's compatible with PC, the 900840 (DIN) and 900866 (PS2), but if you just want the keycaps, I wouldn't try for one. They almost never show up, and they're more expensive.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:52:38 »
from a board I picked up for $5 at a k-mart store closing sale, some images in this album: http://imgur.com/a/ZCvIG

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:00:52 by precarious »

Offline proest

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:14:42 »
Show Image

So clean. Looks great!

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 14:32:20 »
901867 is the same as 840338, it looks like the aforementioned WY-60 keyboard. You're probably better off getting the 901865 (alt PN is 840358, which I have) PCE keyboard for terminals. The KU-8933 is a RD AFAIK. Don't get a WYSE keyboard with windows keys.

The best catch is the PCE that's compatible with PC, the 900840 (DIN) and 900866 (PS2), but if you just want the keycaps, I wouldn't try for one. They almost never show up, and they're more expensive.
Okay, it looks like I'm going to pickup two 840358's. 

Thanks for all the information on the other ones, god it's confusing when there's so many close part numbers and they use two different names for them lol.

Is there some sort of "master list" in a Wiki somewhere that shows what old boards (even non-WYSE) use Chery keycaps? 

from a board I picked up for $5 at a k-mart store closing sale, some images in this album: http://imgur.com/a/ZCvIG

[img width=640 height=355]http://i.imgur.com/ik9xfh.jpg[img]

[img width=640 height=269]http://i.imgur.com/iRbsB.jpg[img]

Thank looks great (not a fan of the black modifiers, but I assume that's where you'd need a Moogle kit?)

I like that cream/beige/off white what ever you call it. 

Offline precarious

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 14:39:22 »
Thank looks great (not a fan of the black modifiers, but I assume that's where you'd need a Moogle kit?)

I like that cream/beige/off white what ever you call it. 

yeah, you would need a moogle kit to complete that set.  i'm probably not going to get one though since i just don't like the SP profile keycaps.  those caps are also pretty yellowed since they are old, they would look better if i tried that whole crazy retrobrite thing on them, i'm sure.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 14:47:10 »
There are loads of re-brands that used the same base keyboards as the MX Wyse, and all have SP DCS keycaps. Only Wyse has the navy on cream/grey colorway though. Most are just black on light beige/white like Link, Reynolds, UCS, Tektronix (not all models but some), Executone, and others. Then there are some like Triad that have a grey and charcoal colorway. All of them are old terminal boards for the most part and pre-winkey.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 15:48:59 »
yeah, you would need a moogle kit to complete that set.  i'm probably not going to get one though since i just don't like the SP profile keycaps.  those caps are also pretty yellowed since they are old, they would look better if i tried that whole crazy retrobrite thing on them, i'm sure.

Yeah I was going to ask if they were yellowed or supposed to be like that.  I kinda like the yellowed look on those...
What don't you like about the SP profile keys?  Just feel weird on the fingers or what? 

There are loads of re-brands that used the same base keyboards as the MX Wyse, and all have SP DCS keycaps. Only Wyse has the navy on cream/grey colorway though. Most are just black on light beige/white like Link, Reynolds, UCS, Tektronix (not all models but some), Executone, and others. Then there are some like Triad that have a grey and charcoal colorway. All of them are old terminal boards for the most part and pre-winkey.

What's DCS stand for?  Double Cherry Shot? lol

I really like the Navy on Cream/Grey, so I'll shoot for that as my first set (also the only set that has moogle kit for it right now, right?)

Grey and Charcoal sounds cool too. 

I suppose I'll keep my searching to terminal keyboards/no-winkey then.  If I see one like that, it's pretty safe to assume it's Cherry stemmed? 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 16:03:45 »
If it's one of the brands I specifically mentioned, most likely, but if in doubt you should ask first. DCS is the profile name used most commonly in most of the groupbuy keysets here made by signiture plastics. IF you can find a black on white set or whatever for cheap you could always pair it up with one of the cheap white on red modifiers kits from SP as it would match up fairly well.

Offline precarious

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 16:32:52 »
Yeah I was going to ask if they were yellowed or supposed to be like that.  I kinda like the yellowed look on those...
What don't you like about the SP profile keys?  Just feel weird on the fingers or what? 

for me personally it's the angle of the keys on the bottom row, and probably some of the other ones too.  they're at such a steep incline that they were more or less designed to be used with the keyboard legs/props extended, so then the bottom row would be level.  that's fine if you like to use those, in which case i'd definitely suggest trying them, but since i don't like to raise the legs the angle of the bottom row is just awkward.  i recently found a set of cherry doubleshots at goodwill for five bucks and they are just the nicest keycaps ever, so i guess i really don't have much use for SP profile now ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 17:20:46 »
Yeah I also only use Cherry keycap and dislike SP for the exact same reason. Only Olivetti and some TA board have the blue on grey and they aren't available for sale too often, they are much more difficult to find and usually not cheap.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 19:51:33 »
Like this you mean?

http://i.imgur.com/TftBL.jpg
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:31:51 by fl0w3n »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:20:54 »
fl0w3n those are pad printed! they would look great as DS though :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:35:44 »
http://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/filco-ninja-with-cherry-mx-reds/

Ahhh, that's exactly what mine would look like...my White TKL Filco will be here Mon or Tues. 

So, which keys are part of the Moogle kit in that pic?  I guess that's a good thing that I can't tell lol. 

I never really liked/understood CC's...but now seeing that one on your board, makes me think I'll need one to complete the setup. 

fl0w3n those are pad printed! they would look great as DS though :)

Yeah that's why I was confused, they didn't look that sought after.  Too many acronyms I don't know yet, what's a DS?

These are clearly what lysol was speaking of;

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:40:11 »
yeah those are olivetti :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:43:38 »
yeah those are olivetti :)

Is the Olivetti KBD2812 the only one that has usable keycaps?  What about the M24?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivetti_M24

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:25:45 »
Those are Olivetti dyesub, those Italian sets are not quite as hard to find. The doulbeshots look pretty much the same but won't have the incompatible key problem, and even exist in ANSI. Those are the ones to go for, but it's not easy to find them at all.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:29:16 »
Those are Olivetti dyesub, those Italian sets are not quite as hard to find. The doulbeshots look pretty much the same but won't have the incompatible key problem, and even exist in ANSI. Those are the ones to go for, but it's not easy to find them at all.

I'll make sure I keep an eye out :p

Do you guys think these caps would clean up O.K. with retrobrite or hydrogen peroxide? 

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 18:33:22 »
They might, they're not nearly as yellowed as mine were (I guess the Athens county library left it in the sun all day). The hardest part will be to brighten them up to exactly the same colour. That might not be possible.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:20:13 »
They might, they're not nearly as yellowed as mine were (I guess the Athens county library left it in the sun all day). The hardest part will be to brighten them up to exactly the same colour. That might not be possible.

Hmm, yeah.  I wouldn't mind if they didn't fully brighten up as long as they were clean, but I would mind if they were all different shades. 

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:40:29 »
This is my Poker with Doubleshots and a Moogle kit after being cleaned up:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 21:20:30 »
This is my Poker with Doubleshots and a Moogle kit after being cleaned up:

Show Image

I can't see the picture.

What about this board?  Looks like it comes with some possibly fun red caps too? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyse-ASCII-Terminal-Keyboard-Rev-D-840338-01-/110959177533?pt=US_Thin_Clients&hash=item19d5aeaf3d

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 21:36:57 »
Looks like they are pretty shiny. How about this one? It's half the price and looks like it's in better shape. You can get those zany old style pre stabilizer era keycaps!

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 23:04:52 »
Looks like they are pretty shiny. How about this one? It's half the price and looks like it's in better shape. You can get those zany old style pre stabilizer era keycaps!
Ah, that's a good point. I just figured it was from being dirty. 

I'll be watching that one  :cool:

There were just a few model numbers I wasn't sure about, so I was sticking to mainly the ones Dorkvader had listed in his post. 

God you guys are so helpful! It's awesome. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:30:01 »
Basically, if it has yellow arrows and blue lettering it is safe MX board. Some MX boards have all black legends too, but you aren't after those. Nothing with winkey is MX. That's pretty much all that you need to know about buying wyse. Some model have more compatible keys than others, but I would go for better condition and lower price over more keys personally.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 11:06:40 »
Basically, if it has yellow arrows and blue lettering it is safe MX board. Some MX boards have all black legends too, but you aren't after those. Nothing with winkey is MX. That's pretty much all that you need to know about buying wyse. Some model have more compatible keys than others, but I would go for better condition and lower price over more keys personally.

Most of the eBay pictures are hard to tell if the lettering is blue, so can I assume if it has yellow arrows it's blue lettering too? 

That's a good guide to go by.  Thanks! Hoping to pick one up here soon, but I'm still on the hunt for a moogle kit too. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 11:09:59 »
Usually. Yellow arrows are a sure sign of MX doubleshots, so if you can see that you know it's ok.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 11:18:58 »
Usually. Yellow arrows are a sure sign of MX doubleshots, so if you can see that you know it's ok.

Awesome!

There's no Buy It Now's that seem worth while, so I'm watching that one you linked...a little over a day left and it's still at a reasonable price.

You think it has OG MX Blacks, too? 

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 19:23:22 »

Awesome!

There's no Buy It Now's that seem worth while, so I'm watching that one you linked...a little over a day left and it's still at a reasonable price.

You think it has OG MX Blacks, too? 
Probably has a mix. My 840059(WY-50)  has a mix of "vintage" and "new" blacks. Actually all 3 of my WYSE 'boards do.

The cool part about the 840059's is, as far as I know, they all have the thicker doubleshots. The spacebar is stabilized, though.

(And whoever got it for $20 shipped got a good deal: It's in much better shape than most I see at that price.)

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:59:26 »
Probably has a mix. My 840059(WY-50)  has a mix of "vintage" and "new" blacks. Actually all 3 of my WYSE 'boards do.

The cool part about the 840059's is, as far as I know, they all have the thicker doubleshots. The spacebar is stabilized, though.

(And whoever got it for $20 shipped got a good deal: It's in much better shape than most I see at that price.)
Can you visually see the difference between vintage blacks and new? 

Thicker double shots, yay :p everyone raves about thick double shots (that just sounds wrong), so time to see if I can join the bandwagon lol.  The spacebar being stabilized is bad?  Won't I need spacebar with my Moogle kit anyways?

That would be me  :cool: :eek: but it's actually $25 shipped, still not bad at all.  Like you said, it looks to be in pretty good shape for the price. 

Offline biochem

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:32:30 »
WYSE on a Leoepold
(Attachment Link)

WYSE on a Filco
(Attachment Link)
Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 18:23:20 »

Can you visually see the difference between vintage blacks and new? 

Thicker double shots, yay :p everyone raves about thick double shots (that just sounds wrong), so time to see if I can join the bandwagon lol.  The spacebar being stabilized is bad?  Won't I need spacebar with my Moogle kit anyways?
Yes, the "bunch of cherries" on the logo is spaced out differently. On one, the "Y" in "CHERRY" is even with the rightmost of the cherries in the graphic. On the other, the "bunch of cherries" is raised up a bit. I forget which was which, but if you have both, you can check. The "vintage" ones should feel just a little bit lighter, and maybe smoother.

This is why I want to see a WYSE to USB adapter of some sort. They are solid keyboards, readily available in the USA, great keycaps, sweet layout, cheap, etc. Perfect travel/gaming 'board. I like the WY-30 best for that.

The thick WYSE ones are nice, though you may have to brighten them up a bit with retr0brite.
It's nothing special about the spacebar (though it's one of the longest at 9.75 units) being stabilized: It's just notable, as it's the only key that is stabilized. The later WYSE had thinner keycaps, that weren't stepped like that, and they had stabilizers. The WY-60 KB has the same layout, even.

Offline precarious

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 20:43:37 »
This is why I want to see a WYSE to USB adapter of some sort. They are solid keyboards, readily available in the USA, great keycaps, sweet layout, cheap, etc. Perfect travel/gaming 'board. I like the WY-30 best for that.

is there no such thing?  i was kind of thinking about it earlier, wouldn't it really just take someone willing to sit down and write a driver, maybe a small piece of go-between hardware?  thought i saw something like that for a terminal board in a thread somewhere, but it may have been another forum.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 20:46:54 »
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline pasph

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 07:25:25 »
wouldn't this do the trick? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

Yes if you replace the controller not only convert its output
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 09:08:00 »
Yeah, you could teensy mod a wyse directly. Someone that used to be on here had done it and had a good guide about it, but I don't think it survived from the old version of the forum.
The reason many Wyse have mix of vintage and modern blacks and often mix of thick and thin caps is they have probably been refurbed at some point. Vintage blacks are easy to tell visually as the Cherry logo on the switch housing is much larger.