Author Topic: Shooting yourself in the foot collecting Topre keycaps?  (Read 14889 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: Shooting yourself in the foot collecting Topre keycaps?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 01:33:23 »
Does Topre have much presence in the Chinese keyboard community? The Chinese market is huge but I think it's mostly dominated by the Taiwan brands and Leopold.

Leopold licenses Topre switches for their 660C and some RF boards?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline feizor

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 02:46:55 »
Does Topre have much presence in the Chinese keyboard community? The Chinese market is huge but I think it's mostly dominated by the Taiwan brands and Leopold.

The 660c relatively new compared to hhkb and RF. I don't think the market penetration is very deep yet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 03:49:16 »

The 660c relatively new compared to hhkb and RF. I don't think the market penetration is very deep yet.

And we are yet to see replacement keycap sets for it (not including RealForce sets that can be forced to fit in the wrong positions).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 03:59:02 »

And we are yet to see replacement keycap sets for it (not including RealForce sets that can be forced to fit in the wrong positions).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 03:59:39 »

(Attachment Link)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 04:38:04 »

(Attachment Link)

S'true.  I don't think I've seen any full replacement Topre keycap sets, apart from black or white sets for HHKB, or coloured sets for RealForce.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lolkey

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:56:07 »
 :p weird man
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:09:48 »
:p weird man

Who, me? :))

Is there an implied comma in your statement?

"weird man" and "weird, man" have slightly different implications :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:12:08 »
Anyone who likes yellow that much must be weird, right? ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:45:16 »
Anyone who likes yellow that much must be weird, right? ;)

It's normal to like yellow isn't it?

Yellow is the colour of the sun, which provides heat and light without which life on this planet would be very, very difficult, if at all.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:51:51 »
Is the sun yellow? Is it orange or red? Is it ultraviolet, but our eyes don't have UV receptors? How can we see if our eyes aren't even real?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:55:25 »
R u a gaygreen lantern?

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 18:10:04 »
Hey all,

With the dearth of Topre keycaps, and the dwindling varieties of Topre keyboards still on the market (HHKB, a few RealForce, TypeHeaven, FC660C), are we shooting ourselves in the foot collecting Topre keycaps?  Especially the artisan ones?

With the Novatouch coming out soon with Topre switches but MX sliders, Topre keycaps won't fit.

With the availability of community-originated MX sliders for Topre switches, and possibly commercially made equivalents one day, even existing Topre keyboards can be converted for MX keycaps.

Yes, it is unlikely that an existing Topre board will give up the ghost any time soon, but most new boards would be MX or Topre with MX-compatible stems.

So are we shooting ourselves in our feet collecting Topre keycaps?

Or would it be better to collect MX custom keycaps now, and invest in some MX sliders for existing Topre keyboards?
I think that cooler master owns the rights for the topre-mx sliiders switch for a while, so at least initially there wont be a lot (any?) variety when it comes to those keyboards. For this reason I think that Topre caps are still relevant in the short term. For the long term, who knows? I think a lot can change by the time this is relevant.

It will be interesting to see if the novatouch sliders can be transplanted into other boards (coughHHKBcough).
RETIRED

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:13:36 »
With the Novatouch coming out soon with Topre switches but MX sliders, Topre keycaps won't fit.

looking at the stems, It looks like they will fit topre, as well as MX keycaps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:22:51 »

I've seen more agreement that they won't fit than that they will. It was my thinking that they would. But people say that Topre stems are wider and wouldn't fit in the circular housing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:51:47 »

I've seen more agreement that they won't fit than that they will. It was my thinking that they would. But people say that Topre stems are wider and wouldn't fit in the circular housing.

We need someone to sacrifice a Novatouch for science!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:23:24 »

We need someone to sacrifice a Novatouch for science!

You can just try to fit a topre cap on it.

I want to get one just to see how better/worse it's made than other keyboards.