Author Topic: GMK Honeywell issues  (Read 22507 times)

Offline base

Re: GMK Honeywell issues
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 23:00:01 »
My Esc key came with some weird burn. Hasn't affected use or anything like that but I thought it was weird.

Show Image

My Esc key has the same issue.  Didn't notice the burn until today, when I pulled the cap (for the first time since installing) and I heard a crack. The stem split vertically along the burn mark.  Emailed Originative, and their response was "We will contact GMK and let them know of the issue. As far as a replacement goes, we'll have to wait for their response regarding it". Will have to wait and see I guess, but this is clearly not just a cosmetic defect.

Offline richard912

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:51:17 »
My Esc key came with some weird burn. Hasn't affected use or anything like that but I thought it was weird.

Show Image

My Esc key has the same issue.  Didn't notice the burn until today, when I pulled the cap (for the first time since installing) and I heard a crack. The stem split vertically along the burn mark.  Emailed Originative, and their response was "We will contact GMK and let them know of the issue. As far as a replacement goes, we'll have to wait for their response regarding it". Will have to wait and see I guess, but this is clearly not just a cosmetic defect.

Show Image

Ouch! Sorry to hear about it. It looks like the sub-standard production had resulted in the material around the stem to become brittle. Not knowing if OCo reads this here, I suggest you post your experience at the Honeywell thread by OCo https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86286.350

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:17:05 »

You should post in the GB thread.

A gentle reminder to everyone reporting the issues, that the one and only official venue for the GB is its thread, posting here may not help keeping Sherry involved and committed. The general feeling is that he is dismissing this issue as a mere cosmetic thing.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:47:18 »

A gentle reminder to everyone reporting the issues, that the one and only official venue for the GB is its thread, posting here may not help keeping Sherry involved and committed. The general feeling is that he is dismissing this issue as a mere cosmetic thing.

He isn't/wasn't- it's GMK.  And in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal as it was in other buys.  As far as committed, why are you so committed to this as you weren't in the buy?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:53:07 »

He isn't/wasn't- it's GMK.  And in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal as it was in other buys.  As far as committed, why are you so committed to this as you weren't in the buy?

Because I am a GMK Customer. It seems the problem is a manufacturing issue potentially affecting any set.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:58:47 »
I have burn marks on my Honeywell, Sky Dolch V2 and GMK Magenta...(underside on some stems).

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 12:55:26 »

Because I am a GMK Customer. It seems the problem is a manufacturing issue potentially affecting any set.

You just keep bringing it up, without knowing if it is cosmetic after all are willing to let it drop, or wait for a response from Sherry.  Seems more like stirring the issue more than anything else, especially since you have no personal experience with it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 13:14:21 »

You just keep bringing it up, without knowing if it is cosmetic after all are willing to let it drop, or wait for a response from Sherry.  Seems more like stirring the issue more than anything else, especially since you have no personal experience with it.

I do not want to have personal experience with it really, that is the point. If you notice, I am not posting at the GB thread, so I do not see why is your motivation to interfere. You and me are free to post here; however, my motivation is legitimate in the interest of a quality issue to be fixed, either, if you consider minor, it is still a quality issue. It appears that you have some sort of personal interest with the GB leader. Again, even if that is the case this is not the GB thread, but a thread on a GMK quality issue, that I am interested in and with all due respect, I really do not care if you like it or not.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:04:54 »

I do not want to have personal experience with it really, that is the point. If you notice, I am not posting at the GB thread, so I do not see why is your motivation to interfere. You and me are free to post here; however, my motivation is legitimate in the interest of a quality issue to be fixed, either, if you consider minor, it is still a quality issue. It appears that you have some sort of personal interest with the GB leader. Again, even if that is the case this is not the GB thread, but a thread on a GMK quality issue, that I am interested in and with all due respect, I really do not care if you like it or not.

Really?  You're going there?  I just barely knew that sherry wasn't a she recently.  I have no interest in the company, other than having some of their keycap sets that I paid retail for - not GB price.  I just noticed that you kept stirring this when you don't even have experience with the issue.  I didn't even say anything towards you other than to ask your interest- which is a valid question.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:13:40 »

Really?  You're going there?  I just barely knew that sherry wasn't a she recently.  I have no interest in the company, other than having some of their keycap sets that I paid retail for - not GB price.  I just noticed that you kept stirring this when you don't even have experience with the issue.  I didn't even say anything towards you other than to ask your interest- which is a valid question.

Alright then, got it. You have no interest; but some postings bothering you, so I am sorry. I'd like to have defect free key caps coming from GMK, that, by the way is the only key caps profile and material that I use on my keyboards. I have no interest in this particular buy, either. But I would like GMK to be a reliable source of these beloved type of key caps.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:32:31 »

Alright then, got it. You have no interest; but some postings bothering you, so I am sorry. I'd like to have defect free key caps coming from GMK, that, by the way is the only key caps profile and material that I use on my keyboards. I have no interest in this particular buy, either. But I would like GMK to be a reliable source of these beloved type of key caps.

Never said it bothered me either.  I was just curious, and it is a valid question.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 14:34:18 »
A question is almost always a legitimate one.  :thumb:

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 12:27:10 »
I don't believe those little fins are there for structural integrity of the finished product. They are most likely just a by-product of how the mold is designed.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 12:30:48 »
I don't believe those little fins are there for structural integrity of the finished product. They are most likely just a by-product of how the mold is designed.

Not true, the "fins" are there to support/ stabilize the stem.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:27:13 »

SA profile keycaps have much longer stems and they do not have these fins.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 20:56:59 »

Your point being what? I didn't say the keycap would break without the fins, I said they're there to support the stem.

Adding the fins complicates the mold more thus making it more expensive to produce, if the fins were totally useless why would most profiles (other than stuff from SP) include them?

The addition of the fins isn't necessary but it leads to a more solid final product.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:17:31 »

Your point being what? I didn't say the keycap would break without the fins, I said they're there to support the stem.

Adding the fins complicates the mold more thus making it more expensive to produce, if the fins were totally useless why would most profiles (other than stuff from SP) include them?

The addition of the fins isn't necessary but it leads to a more solid final product.

No need to get defensive, I'm just making observations based on available evidence.

I'll point to the fact that GMK representatives themselves stated that the missing fins were just a cosmetic issue.

Further, if you look under your row 3 GMK keycaps, those fins are maybe half a millimeter high. They aren't doing anything for the structural integrity of the stem.

I don't know why the fins are there, but I believe they have something to do with the manufacturing process rather than the finished product.

To answer your question, my point is that we do not need to worry about missing fins on keycaps. The deformities are strange, but regardless of why they are there, the missing fins are not detrimental to the keycaps' usability.

Of course in OP's case, where there is actually extra material protruding to where it should not be, this is certainly a problem. However, since many thousands of individuals use GMK keycaps regularly and this is seemingly the first time this issue has popped up, it is likely isolated to a small run of caps.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:45:41 »
I'll point to the fact that GMK representatives themselves stated that the missing fins were just a cosmetic issue.

That makes sense because the fins aren't necessary, they're just extra reinforcement to make the keycap structurally more solid than it needs to be.

Further, if you look under your row 3 GMK keycaps, those fins are maybe half a millimeter high. They aren't doing anything for the structural integrity of the stem.

Row 3 is fairly low profile so the stem is shorter and extra reinforcement isn't necessary at all (not that it normally is anyway but still), the fins are there to keep the bottom section of the stem the same length regardless of the row.

To answer your question, my point is that we do not need to worry about missing fins on keycaps. The deformities are strange, but regardless of why they are there, the missing fins are not detrimental to the keycaps' usability.

I agree with this, the deformities shouldn't get in the way of the switch functioning correctly and shouldn't cause the keycap to break so in the end are more of a cosmetic issue.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 23:06:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

I have the same exact burn on my red escape too. Strangely, my grey escape key is fine (along with all of my other keys).

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:16:38 »
I'd like to add that I have a similar experience as OP my ~ and 4 key and possibly others have what looks like cut plastic underneath.

Offline KACHAKEYS

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 01:51:46 »
I have this deformity on ever single Red ESC from GMK
havent looked at terminal and I dont have honeywell (though I wish I did)

Offline base

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:27:24 »
Just as info for anyone who might have an issue with their ESC key as I did (stem on mine cracked) - Originative is selling the RO2 colored ESC individually. It is an option under add-ons/GMK Red ESC

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 14:40:02 »
For what it's worth I've gotten in a couple GMK sets and kits since I made this thread (Oblivion, Yuri, some accents and Ceresia) and haven't had any deformities in the walls of those caps like what was present in my Honeywell kit. Some of the caps are missing the same wall that was deformed in the Honeywell set, but all the mold lines have been nice and clean. So maybe this was just an isolated issue that GMK has resolved.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:43:47 »
If it worth something, I installed Kekkon's Dolch and no keycap has the issue. Was HW manufactured with custom colors? Would be the polymers blend what causes the issues.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:45:11 »
If it worth something, I installed Kekkon's Dolch and no keycap has the issue. Was HW manufactured with custom colors? Would be the polymers blend what causes the issues.

pretty sure it's standard GMK colors
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:47:00 »

I such case, only a manufacturing method error remains as the possible culprit, only.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:27:59 »

I such case, only a manufacturing method error remains as the possible culprit, only.

That's my guess too.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:40:02 »
We're wearing out the mold equipment!  :))

Meh, i think Ideus is right.
Its probably a setting or failed part that just happened to be getting worse.
-Dana