Author Topic: "Best keyboards"  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Rajagra

"Best keyboards"
« on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 00:25:40 »
Warning - may not be the ones you expect!

http://www.oobject.com/category/best-keyboards/

Number 19 is at least thought provoking. DIY Datahand anyone?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2009, 00:35:39 by Rajagra »

Offline msiegel

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 00:28:31 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128113
Warning - may not be the ones you expect!

http://www.oobject.com/category/best-keyboards/

meh??!?

edit: what a bizarre assortment of keyboards :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2009, 00:34:42 by msiegel »

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline hyperlinked

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 03:30:45 »
Aside from the Apple fanatics voting their brand to the top, I guess it's a weirdest keyboard contest.

Optimus Maximus
http://www.oobject.com/best-keyboards/optimus-maximus-keyboard/1217/
532 Votes? There aren't even 532 owners of this thing yet is there?

Apple Wireless Keyboard
http://www.oobject.com/best-keyboards/apple-wireless-keyboard/1210/
Sigh. I guess people are bound to confuse "Best" keyboard with "Prettiest" keyboard.

Z-Boards
http://www.oobject.com/best-keyboards/ceratech-zboard-with-world-of-warcraft-key-set-review/1220/
Bleah. Z-Boards are garbage. The special gaming layouts are a nice idea. It'd have been nice if they had at least attempted to put a passable keyboard beneath it. Even for rubber domes, it sucks.

Combimouse
http://www.oobject.com/best-keyboards/combimouse/1222/
The keyboard of choice for those who had childhood dreams of being a forklift operator.

Orbitouch Keyless Keyboard
http://www.keybowl.com/whatis.html
Never bottom out again I guess. Say goodbye to wrist and finger injuries. Say hello to shoulder and neck pain.

DIY Septambic Keyboard
http://www.oobject.com/best-keyboards/build-your-onw-septambic-keyer/1211/
How the hell did this have the votes to make it on the list?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
"Best keyboards"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 06:23:22 »
It certainly seems like a "weirdest keyboard contest", but what it seems to me to be intended as is more of a most interesting keyboard list. Here are the designs that are different, the ones that hold the most promise for the future of revolutionizing how a keyboard works.

I thought it particularly odd that they chose a dual typewriter set up so that one typewriter was used for equations. Why not choose a Selectric typewriter - or a Hammond (or Varityper) or a Blickensderfer, for that matter? Or, if they did want a multiple keyboard setup that did equations without changing elements (or even turning the typing head, since a Hammond/Varityper holds two elements at once)... why not a Monotype keyboard, set up for four-line mathematics?

The Optimus Maximus does use a tactile switch, and they did include one version of the HHKB. Economy wasn't on their minds, so the Model M, for example, didn't make the list. But by concentrating on designs that are different, designs that may point the way to something for the future... they seem to be revealing a profound dissatisfaction with keyboards the way they are.

I can be profoundly dissatisfied with the output of market leaders Logitech and Microsoft (when Microsoft went to Windows 3.1, it ended the offer where you got a free copy of Windows 3.0 with a Logitech mouse, and Logitech had the temerity to sue it... is Microsoft getting into the keyboard and mouse business all about revenge?) without thinking that the whole idea of the keyboard has run its course.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
"Best keyboards"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 12:12:45 »
The list is bogus, they have one of those laser keyboards.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline JBert

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 13:46:33 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128113
Number 19 is at least thought provoking. DIY Datahand anyone?
Ehr no, that's a keyer (a kind of chording keyboard in a compact layout).

The datahand on the other hand has a seperate keyswitch for each character and then adds extra layers on top of that.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Rajagra

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 16:22:07 »
Quote from: JBert;128162
Ehr no, that's a keyer (a kind of chording keyboard in a compact layout).

The datahand on the other hand has a seperate keyswitch for each character and then adds extra layers on top of that.

I meant does anyone fancy making their own Datahand type board based on that mouldable plastic sheet.

Shame there's no text describing the materials. Might be useful for that DIY trackball being made in another thread here.

Offline J888www

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 16:43:43 »
I was more interested in the "Latest List" section for "12 Spectacular Erections". Amazing how they can get them to such heights and able to keep it up there. BTW, IMO, I didn't like anyone of the Keyboards/Gadgets featured
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Rajagra

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 16:50:35 »
Quote from: J888www;128190
I was more interested in the "Latest List" section for "12 Spectacular Erections". Amazing how they can get them to such heights and able to keep it up there. BTW, IMO, I didn't like anyone of the Keyboards/Gadgets featured

Perhaps that should be listed next to this one.

Offline msiegel

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 16:52:20 »
Quote from: J888www;128190

:D cool! my town lays claim to 16% of those erections. seeing them up close is truly spectacular.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline J888www

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 October 2009, 17:01:12 »
Seen "this one " too. Sos, but those keyboards/gadgets were so not interesting that I could not resist my attention being drawn elsewhere.
  "this one" was also of little interest, as I only use IT to go toilet, most of the time into my IBM mug.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline JBert

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 14:29:13 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128185
I meant does anyone fancy making their own Datahand type board based on that mouldable plastic sheet.

Shame there's no text describing the materials. Might be useful for that DIY trackball being made in another thread here.
Well, it seems it was done by Steve Mann, here's a page about some guy making his own: http://wearcam.org/septambic/septambi.htm (No info on the kind of plastic though)
Some more pics of the process: Wearcam.org: septambic.

The explanation itself might be given in a book by Steve Mann himself, it's named ]Intelligent Image Processing and appendix B seems to be relevant.

So far it seems like it is made of some kind of plastic which can be made deformable when placed in near-boiling water.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
"Best keyboards"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2009, 17:45:46 »
Those people forgot about the real best keyboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline chimera15

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 14:54:19 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;128450
Those people forgot about the real best keyboard.
Show Image

Seriously, that list is wack. How is a dual typewriter from 1940 or whatever one of the best keyboards.  stupid. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
"Best keyboards"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 18:36:52 »
I don't want to know.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TWX

"Best keyboards"
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 19:38:04 »
*sigh*

I love how the only input devices with any ergonomics are either figgin' weird or are designed for video games.

I won't deny that I don't have the same phobia about rubber-dome switches as many of the rest of you, so I'm biased in that I don't mind first-generation Microsoft Natural Keyboards and other split ergos that have a 101-type layout directly modified for the ergo shape.  I had a Mouse Systems clone back in the day that worked quite well.  That no semi-conventional ergo boards appear on their list is kind of pathetic.  I don't expect it to be all ergos, but not a single one?
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q