Author Topic: Advice on modding HHKB Professional Hybrid PD-KB800B  (Read 2340 times)

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Advice on modding HHKB Professional Hybrid PD-KB800B
« on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 22:35:11 »
Hi all!
I am "relatively" new to the hobby (7-8 months) and recently have been curious about topre boards and are considering buying and modding the PFU HHKB Professional Hybrid PD-KB800B, I am considering using Deskeys silencing rings and lubing it.
I have a few questions to ask, first of all will trybosis 3203 be a good grease for the board or should i use something thicker like krytox 205g0? Second of all would Deskeys silencing rings (https://deskeys.io/collections/home-all-products/products/silencing-ring-for-topre-keyboards), would these be a good choice or should i consider something else (my goal is to dampen the sound but i dont mind if its not silent). And third of all is this board a good choice in the first place? I want to learn more about topre and I think I will use this board a lot but am wondering if there are better choices out there, I don't want to impulse buy and get something bad.

Thank you all so much and I am sorry if these are stupid questions!
Have a good rest of your day!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: Advice on modding HHKB Professional Hybrid PD-KB800B
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 05:00:24 »
Nobody answered this yet for you?

I tell you my story.
I used to mod all my Realforces with Krytox205 on rails, SuperLube on mods wires. Never felt that lubing rails was necessary. Mods wires - yes, definitely.
However, thos new HHKBs have lubed mods and they are perfect for me as they are stock.

Rings - I had Novatouches modded with band rings. Was OK.
But when I got Deskeys rings #3 - they were perfect - not to thick to make a difference in feeling, but silencing enough to make it sound nice. Thicker rings would be similar to stock Type-S, like those #5 or even #4. thinner, I wouldn't bother. I think most guys said that #3 is perfect.

Anyway, those new HHKBs sound great out of the box and I'm not planning to mod it.
Just my 2 pennies :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 10:08:24 »
Thanks for the reply! When I get my HHKB I will try this out.

Offline jony_m

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 12:13:00 »
205g0 on rails is fine, be sure it's a very light coat.

If you're afraid of over lubing, use Trybosys 2304 (2303  also ok).

I used 205g0 on my hhkb pro 2. again... very, very light coat.

As far as silencing, maybe try with lube first.. see if it removes the scratch enough to your liking.
Also look at https://www.keyclack.com/products/topre-silencing-rings-v2