Author Topic: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA with Custom Font - MD Poll Up!  (Read 119808 times)

Offline tofgerl

Re: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA ABS Keycap Set
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 04:43:31 »
Quite possibly, but remember child kits complicate things.

Offline pomk

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 04:55:13 »
Quite possibly, but remember child kits complicate things.
That is true, especially for child kits with many keys and only a few buyers. The 85$ would get ~100 new legends at 500 sets, meaning around 10-20 would be left from the basic TKL set. So a numpad and maybe some tsangan/whitefox kit could still be added at a reasonable price. Things like a full ISO kit with 50+ legends are naturally out of the question at least for the first round.

However if the legends are funded each from their corresponding sets, for example a numpad kit would be around 27$ instead of 20$. Sales figures and kit content from 1976 R2 numpad kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2016, 05:23:34 by pomk »

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 07:21:41 »

That is true, especially for child kits with many keys and only a few buyers. The 85$ would get ~100 new legends at 500 sets, meaning around 10-20 would be left from the basic TKL set. So a numpad and maybe some tsangan/whitefox kit could still be added at a reasonable price. Things like a full ISO kit with 50+ legends are naturally out of the question at least for the first round.

ISO sales continue to climb on massdrop and at other vendors.    Given the delays in production I think if we do ISO right at the start it's never going to be done.  Just do it :)

Offline pomk

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 07:35:17 »

ISO sales continue to climb on massdrop and at other vendors.    Given the delays in production I think if we do ISO right at the start it's never going to be done.  Just do it :)
Haha, even if this would sell as much as pulse R2, the price of a combined norde+uk+iso kit would be quite ridiculous. 39 new molds divided by 120 buyers would make the set at least 55$, and I'm not sure if UK people are willing to pay that much for 9 keys  :)). That price is gathered from pulse kits and the cost of additional legends when you don't print the AltGr legends on the keycaps. If you wish to have full legends for norde it would take some 10+ molds in addition and also 10 more keys to the whole set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2016, 07:38:57 by pomk »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 07:50:20 »
ISO is a must! :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 09:53:23 »

Offline pomk

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 10:18:44 »
I'd like to see ISO with fin/swe layout as well, but just don't see it happening at a reasonable price, unless it is subsidized from the main set making it even more expensive. Unless of course you have some unlimited stash of money and would like to set up a lego keyset store in Europe  :)).

Offline regack

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 10:45:55 »
Unless of course you have some unlimited stash of money

I'd have funded so many various projects by now if I had this... even if it was sufficiently-large-but-limited stash... ahh well, I can keep hoping that one day.... one day....

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 23:20:10 »
I'd like to see ISO with fin/swe layout as well, but just don't see it happening at a reasonable price, unless it is subsidized from the main set making it even more expensive. Unless of course you have some unlimited stash of money and would like to set up a lego keyset store in Europe  :)).

I guess there's the advantage of using PBT dyesub - ISO, novelty, or other child kit legends, as long as they are dark on light, could be done without as much extra cost. Changing materials just for child kits might feel a bit weird, though, and Signature Plastics is not ready to accept requests for custom sets using sublimated SA keys just yet, as they are still working out kinks with the process (Not that this set is going to happen that soon anyways).
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:20:34 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 06:55:44 »
I need this keyset in my life.
The clear Esc/Enter combo looks brilliant.
I so wish I could fit this set on my Atomic.

Offline Zophos

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 07:44:21 »
Looking at the set I think this might be my first GB. The set will most probably break all records in terms of sales as I see it.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #311 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 09:42:50 »
^^^ Same here.  I have so much nostalgia for the Legos from back in the day.  I remember building all those craft.  Time to put it on the keyboard.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #312 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 14:46:23 »
Remember those kids whose parents bought them fake legos? Yeah, that's what the people who miss out on this set will feel like ;)

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 04:14:57 »
Remember those kids whose parents bought them fake legos? Yeah, that's what the people who miss out on this set will feel like ;)

Lego, the plural of Lego is Lego, unless you also say spaghettis and sheeps.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 04:36:02 »

Sue me.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 06:53:28 »

Sue me.

Why not follow the apple naming trend to the natural conclusion and call it "The Lego"?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 06:54:24 »
The Jet Black Lego Device may be easily scratched, and should not be used without a protective coating of saliva.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:39:43 »
So, should we just get these with standard font available?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #318 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:20:25 »
I still say let's wait and see how the reaction to the Ice Cap kit is. Everyone posting about them have been very positive, so if SA decide to offer this, I say a fully R3 Dye Sub kit is the best way to go. Yes, the colors may have to change since the fonts have to be darker than the caps, but still.

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:26:10 »
I still say let's wait and see how the reaction to the Ice Cap kit is. Everyone posting about them have been very positive, so if SA decide to offer this, I say a fully R3 Dye Sub kit is the best way to go. Yes, the colors may have to change since the fonts have to be darker than the caps, but still.
The ice caps look great but I've seen a few people with faulty space bars on them. JChan94 posted a vid where his stuck when pressed down.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:26:48 »
Yeah, PBT space bars are notoriously difficult :(

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:42:24 »
Yeah, PBT space bars are notoriously difficult :(

That reminds me I cheaped out when the PBT topre spacebars dropped on MD last time because my only one was a FC660C but now I have a HHKB arriving next week and I'm sad. God damnit. :c

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #322 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:43:43 »
Yeah, they haven't dropped "alone" for a while...

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 10:19:17 »
The ice caps look great but I've seen a few people with faulty space bars on them. JChan94 posted a vid where his stuck when pressed down.

yeah, mine also have a similar problem.
I had to readjust my stabilizers and add a healthy dose of lubricant before it started working right.
After about a day of use everything has settled enough for the sticking to disappear - lubed 62g Zelios.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 10:24:30 »
Krytox or generic PTFE? I know we're way off topic, but I have the same problem with a Granite DSA spacebar.

Offline parablol

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 13:26:02 »
I'm very into the Dvorak option and possibility of ErgoDox option! :D

Offline pomk

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 13:31:31 »
Just checking the price SP put on the ice cap set. If custom sets are going to be priced in the same range (note that massdrop will want a cut as well), it is going to be cheaper to just doubleshot everything based on the pricing of previous SA sets.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 14:00:44 »
Yeah, SP only has a limited amount of moulds and they have to be used twice for doubleshot and once for dye-sub...

Nope, ignore that, I forgot to insert my brains. :)

Offline pomk

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 16:10:24 »
Haha! It does not make any sense, but just check the prices yourself.  :-\

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 23:02:31 »
Krytox or generic PTFE? I know we're way off topic, but I have the same problem with a Granite DSA spacebar.

Lubing on Granite spacebar won't work. You must file a bit of the spacebar's inside leg, mine works like nothing happened now.

Sorry for the OOT OP!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 04:20:41 »
Yeah, but how the hell am I suppose to insert my penis sanding paper into that small a hole?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 04:42:01 »
Yeah, but how the hell am I suppose to insert my penis sanding paper into that small a hole?

you dont sand the + hole, you sand the outer pole to make the diameter smaller. A nail file could work or wrap your sanding paper to a chopstick or something small and long enough.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 06:32:18 »
I know it has been a while, but apparently SA has just started accepting and pricing orders for sublimated SA keycaps, and the doubleshot TKL legends for this set have been approved(ish). I'd like to start a group buy for this set relatively soon, but I still need some help and feedback regarding the set design, especially the child deals and PBT colors. You can see the current setup for child deals below:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/53c27b409293bade6f98

What other kits would you include (keep in mind extra blue keys require more custom "molds")? Are there any you would break up or reconfigure? What PBT gray color would best match the old Lego Gray, as seen in the picture below:

Offline Data

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 06:48:23 »
Is the current thinking to do doubleshot ABS for the blue mods and everything else will be dye sub PBT?  I guess SP has finally perfected their PBT SA process.  That's cool.

I'm sure someone will ask for an ErgoDox kit.  Also Planck/Atomic, and there might be a special key or two for the WhiteFox.  Were there any 40% formats you wanted to support?  TheVan has been popular recently, but I couldn't say which (if any) special keys are required for it.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 08:20:06 »
Is the current thinking to do doubleshot ABS for the blue mods and everything else will be dye sub PBT?  I guess SP has finally perfected their PBT SA process.  That's cool.

I'm sure someone will ask for an ErgoDox kit.  Also Planck/Atomic, and there might be a special key or two for the WhiteFox.  Were there any 40% formats you wanted to support?  TheVan has been popular recently, but I couldn't say which (if any) special keys are required for it.
+1
Based on the feedback from people who bought the the PBT SA set, the finish of key surface and texture is very close to ABS one. So PBT and ABS mix & match should be fine.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 10:45:17 »
Colemak/dvorak  would be great and that kit seems to always hit at least the first price point and often the second

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 11:04:18 »
+1 on colemak/dvorak. It doesn't always do really well, but it's important to some of us. If this is still planned for row 3 then it would only require an additional 4 or 6 keys depending on what's in the base set. I'd vote for both scoops and nipples if possible so we can choose.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:08:26 »
Or switch to black font on the mods... Don't know if that would look good, though...

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:09:39 »
+1 on colemak/dvorak. It doesn't always do really well, but it's important to some of us. If this is still planned for row 3 then it would only require an additional 4 or 6 keys depending on what's in the base set. I'd vote for both scoops and nipples if possible so we can choose.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you look at the keyboard layout editor link I believe the Nonstandard Layouts kit supports Colemak and Dvorak layouts, though the set as a whole only includes scoops. I'll look into Ergodox as well. Are most people okay with how the kits are separated now?

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:18:23 »
Or switch to black font on the mods... Don't know if that would look good, though...

I don't think that will happen as the doubleshot legends on the TKL kit have already been approved. I'll still need to check the legends on the child kits, but I think we're staying with the color scheme seen in the renders on the original post. What could change at this point is the shade of PBT grey on the alphas and perhaps what is included in the child kits.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:54:52 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you look at the keyboard layout editor link I believe the Nonstandard Layouts kit supports Colemak and Dvorak layouts, though the set as a whole only includes scoops. I'll look into Ergodox as well. Are most people okay with how the kits are separated now?

Yep, scooped HUNT and flat FJ in the main set should cover it. I'd definitely recommend adding a 1.5u Backspace to the nonstandard layout kit.

What's the 2u Backspace in the alternate modifiers used with? I'm not familiar with that. I wouldn't say no to a 1.75u backspace for colemak since I use it, but I realize it's not super common.

Offline pomk

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:28:28 »
Norde kit? :)

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 07:17:22 »

D'oh  I missed the Nonstandard Layout.  For me it's missing a blue 1.75 either blank or backspace key :)

Offline MikeTheTiger

Re: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - Dyesub & Doubleshot SA Keycap Set
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 15:04:19 »
Wait, I'm a bit confused. What keys will be doubleshot and which are to be sublimated? I have the latest PBT sublimated keys from PMK and they are not bad. Either way, it's glad to see this get rolling again. Planck and Minivan support is a must. Also, are the plans still to make the yellow polycarb keys??

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 16:58:58 »
Wait, I'm a bit confused. What keys will be doubleshot and which are to be sublimated? I have the latest PBT sublimated keys from PMK and they are not bad. Either way, it's glad to see this get rolling again. Planck and Minivan support is a must. Also, are the plans still to make the yellow polycarb keys??

Basically, the gray and yellow keys with dark legends will be sublimated, while the blue keys with white legends will be doubleshot. The translucent yellow polycarbonate keys are still there, and will have a glossy finish, while everything else will be semi-matte. You can see the exact colors in the OP. Planck support is difficult because it requires many doubleshot blue keys and therefore many custom molds, which will make it more expensive and require a lot of time and effort to make, especially as the small size of Planck mods makes it very difficult to squeeze in the wide letters of the custom font. The only way I see a Planck kit happening is if the keys are blank (like in the Ergodox Kit), but I don't know if that would be acceptable for most people.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 18:43:40 »

Basically, the gray and yellow keys with dark legends will be sublimated, while the blue keys with white legends will be doubleshot. The translucent yellow polycarbonate keys are still there, and will have a glossy finish, while everything else will be semi-matte. You can see the exact colors in the OP. Planck support is difficult because it requires many doubleshot blue keys and therefore many custom molds, which will make it more expensive and require a lot of time and effort to make, especially as the small size of Planck mods makes it very difficult to squeeze in the wide letters of the custom font. The only way I see a Planck kit happening is if the keys are blank (like in the Ergodox Kit), but I don't know if that would be acceptable for most people.

Thanks for the clarification. I think for the Planck kit, blanks would be a good idea...as long as 1U and 2U polycarbs are included for spacebars. ;)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 19:45:42 »
With some popular flat SA keyset being made (JukeBox, 1976) has planck kit with legend I think SP already has the molds so the pricing is no problem (Godspeed Planck kit only $25ish). And please don't take pricing too much into consideration, we all know this is expensive hobby, nothing you can do to make this cheaper if you want custom things with quality. And more people means more price drop and as I already said, this is Lego themed we are talking about, the market is already there, you just need the right platform and I believe this will hit 4k buyer if not more.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 21:35:20 »
[Basically, the gray and yellow keys with dark legends will be sublimated, while the blue keys with white legends will be doubleshot. The translucent yellow polycarbonate keys are still there, and will have a glossy finish, while everything else will be semi-matte. You can see the exact colors in the OP. Planck support is difficult because it requires many doubleshot blue keys and therefore many custom molds, which will make it more expensive and require a lot of time and effort to make, especially as the small size of Planck mods makes it very difficult to squeeze in the wide letters of the custom font. The only way I see a Planck kit happening is if the keys are blank (like in the Ergodox Kit), but I don't know if that would be acceptable for most people.

It's all about the numbers here, too little will have any Planck or Ergodox keyboards compared to many having plain 104 and TKL keyboards throughout the world.

It's almost an embarrassing 250 000 000 to 1 in ownership of these freaky-like keyboards hence you ALWAYS go with the numbers that will buy it for general usage.  It would be nice to supply all the extra keyset layouts for obtuse keyboards like the Planck and Ergodox but it's in such small numbers so why bother?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2016, 21:37:00 by Elrick »

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 16:24:45 »
[Basically, the gray and yellow keys with dark legends will be sublimated, while the blue keys with white legends will be doubleshot. The translucent yellow polycarbonate keys are still there, and will have a glossy finish, while everything else will be semi-matte. You can see the exact colors in the OP. Planck support is difficult because it requires many doubleshot blue keys and therefore many custom molds, which will make it more expensive and require a lot of time and effort to make, especially as the small size of Planck mods makes it very difficult to squeeze in the wide letters of the custom font. The only way I see a Planck kit happening is if the keys are blank (like in the Ergodox Kit), but I don't know if that would be acceptable for most people.

It's all about the numbers here, too little will have any Planck or Ergodox keyboards compared to many having plain 104 and TKL keyboards throughout the world.

It's almost an embarrassing 250 000 000 to 1 in ownership of these freaky-like keyboards hence you ALWAYS go with the numbers that will buy it for general usage.  It would be nice to supply all the extra keyset layouts for obtuse keyboards like the Planck and Ergodox but it's in such small numbers so why bother?

The number of the weird boards is tiny in comparison to normal layouts, but I'd bet a significantly higher percentage of owners buy aftermarket caps. I'd have to believe it is a single digit percentage at best of users who ever change out their caps on a normal board vs probably the majority of owners changing them on something custom like a Planck or Ergodox. That being said, the numbers for those kits is still small in comparison.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 20:54:47 »
With some popular flat SA keyset being made (JukeBox, 1976) has planck kit with legend I think SP already has the molds so the pricing is no problem (Godspeed Planck kit only $25ish). And please don't take pricing too much into consideration, we all know this is expensive hobby, nothing you can do to make this cheaper if you want custom things with quality. And more people means more price drop and as I already said, this is Lego themed we are talking about, the market is already there, you just need the right platform and I believe this will hit 4k buyer if not more.

I think I will add a Planck and/or 40% kit with blanks and polycarbonate keys (like the Ergodox kit). The problem with making legends for those sets is that it takes a lot of time and is very difficult to do, especially for the smaller keys. It would also costs significantly more, because a defining feature of Classic Space is that all the legends are in a Eurostile-like custom font, rather than in SP's default Gorton modified. I hope this satisfies most Planck owners, but do understand that there is a balance between responding to community feedback and setting realistic goals so that the set can actually run reasonably soon.