Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98904 times)

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (plate layout form up)
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:51:13 »
I want YAS-A plate.   6u spacebar.     

Offline menuhin

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 05:00:04 »
I want YAS-A plate.   6u spacebar.   

Why YAS-B plate is not good for you? Because of the 6.25u spacebar?
I want YAS-B plate because of the split spacebar 2.75u+1.25u+2.25u configuration.  :p
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline clee

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 19:53:25 »
I am pretty bummed about the lack of a 6u HHKB top case option, but I'll be fine with ANSI winkeyless if that one makes the cut.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:31:43 »
I am pretty bummed about the lack of a 6u HHKB top case option, but I'll be fine with ANSI winkeyless if that one makes the cut.

I was surprised to see the 7U spacebar leading buy a lot in the poll.
But that’s what it says, so no 6U version, sorry.
Don’t worry, WKL will definitely be!

Now I’m on holiday. No pc and keyboard until next year. I plan to begin the GB then quickly.

Another thing I want to mention:
A slight mayority voted for the plate material to be alu over steel. Don’t really know why. I will override this one and go for steel. I’ll figure out if black powder coating can be done at the same factory to keep things simple. Would’t Like the blank steel to shine through between the keys.
Steel is just the better material for the plate compared to alu.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:38:40 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:31:18 »

I was surprised to see the 7U spacebar leading buy a lot in the poll.
But that’s what it says, so no 6U version, sorry.
Don’t worry, WKL will definitely be!

Now I’m on holiday. No pc and keyboard until next year. I plan to begin the GB then quickly.

Another thing I want to mention:
A slight mayority voted for the plate material to be alu over steel. Don’t really know why. I will override this one and go for steel. I’ll figure out if black powder coating can be done at the same factory to keep things simple. Would’t Like the blank steel to shine through between the keys.
Steel is just the better material for the plate compared to alu.

Aluminium is a softer material, and allows for a slightly bouncier feel at the bottom out. This is generally viewed as a favourable characteristic when used in conjunction with heavier tactile switches like MX Clear, whereas steel plates feel better with linear switches.

When it comes to plates, it's not always about selecting the alloy with higher modulus. Different material brings different things to the table regarding key feel, and I think this is probably the context that you're not considering (and to be fair that's actually fairly difficult to demonstrate unless you actually build two identical boards using two different plates, as an apples-to-apples controlled comparison).

I do like steel plates, as I'm a predominantly linear switch user, but I definitely see that you should consider offering multiple plate materials if the logistical overhead is not too much.

Steel may be an objectively better material (although I work in aerospace, and steel is actually an inferior material compared to 7000 series alloys from an airframer's perspective, again, different context, devils in the details yadda yadda, you get the idea). Hope this was helpful to you in explaining why aluminium is preferred for some people.

Worth it to note that what I said only really applies to the more common 6000 series alloys, the (more common in aerospace) 7075 alloy is pretty much comparable to many grades of steel in terms of tensile and shear modulus, and probably bottoms out just as hard as 316 stainless when used for a switch mounting plate.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hansichen

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:25:59 »
Well, as several plate layouts are planned it may become difficult to offer it with several materials too. I don't think that both is possible as this group is probably not skyrocketing that much to reach a decent amount of all plates.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 18:47:26 »
As mentioned before most people, including myself, prefer Aluminum for tactile switches.

Never seen powder coating on a plate before so that would be kinda cool.

Feels to me like powder coat would be really risky in terms of getting a good fit for the switches tho, because of the thickness added by the coating...

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 18:40:20 »
Happy New Year Plastik! =)

Offline LordHellmchen

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 06:40:48 »
I want one of the 75% cases! :) Hope this starts soon.

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:03:01 »

THANKS, you too and everyone else!

just arrived back home from vacation. hope I can prepare the GB by the end of next week.
:)

Offline Data

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:10:35 »
just arrived back home from vacation. hope I can prepare the GB by the end of next week.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:34:35 »

It's nice to know the project is moving forward.
But after the Christmas and new year, I really don't have any extra money right now - what is the projected payment schedule?

More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline anhthao88

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:39:17 »

That's a great way to kick off new year  :)) I am in for this  :)

Offline Data

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:49:04 »
Screws were addressed in this post:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92403.msg2532039#msg2532039

Can you please shed light on the screws type? Are they going to be like the ones depicted in the 75% pictures?

yep
it will be the frankenstein screws:

;)

and yes, these are the ones I used in the latest 75% renderings

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 11:54:49 »
Loving the screw choice.
Much preferred countersunk at first but the added industrial feel of these really grew on me.

Can’t wait for the gb <3

Offline Data

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 12:01:04 »
Screws were addressed in this post:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92403.msg2532039#msg2532039

Can you please shed light on the screws type? Are they going to be like the ones depicted in the 75% pictures?

yep
it will be the frankenstein screws:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
;)

and yes, these are the ones I used in the latest 75% renderings

These are super low-profile.  I like them better than the standard button heads and try to use them in all my custom cases.  Great alternative to counter-sunk.

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 12:03:26 by Data »

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 19:34:13 »
Ohhh, I love the 75% version of the case, like the almost industrial look! Watching with much interest.
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline Harms

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 18:52:13 »
I'm definetely join for 60% especially for YAS62.
I know there's many people who wouldn't agree with this layout because hard to grab PCB after missed GB. But i can throw 70 extras PCB after i'm done shipping all PCB from last GB.

silentreader and I have discussed this.
If there is enough interest for a YAS version, then we'll work out some kind of bundle for you. then it would be possible for all who want YAS&SKB60H to get it in one order and a single delivery, so you won't have to pay shipping twice.

Is this idea still on the table?

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 17:34:38 »
Is this idea still on the table?

Good question!
I discussed this with Silentreader and we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't make much sense to ship the PCBs around the globe twice. The big risk is that I might have to pay quite a lot of import fee. That would make the YAS more expensive for you so you wouldn't see any price benefit from combined shipping anymore.
So we agreed that it's the best solution for all that you contact Silentreader via PM for leftovers. He will also run extra PCBs of YAS very soon :)

And regarding the start of the SKBXX GB - damn it's a lot of work getting every little detail right and worked out. You'll have to wait another week (at least) :(

Know that there will be a certain number of slots for 60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and 75%:
60% Standard x18
60% WKL x8
60% HHKB x10
60% YAS x12
75% Standard x24

If more orders should come in we'll have to reach the double amount:
60% Standard x36
60% WKL x16
60% HHKB x20
60% YAS x24
75% Standard x48

The portions may change according to the orders. The numbers are what I expect based on the google forms.
Will be first come, first serve.
I'll let you know here before the GB goes live.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 18:30:08 »
I know you're very busy with sorting the many different layouts. :thumb: :thumb: But an update on pricing would be quite nice

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 19:52:43 »
I know you're very busy with sorting the many different layouts. :thumb: :thumb: But an update on pricing would be quite nice

Yes I know you want to know the exact price. Got to finish the technical drawings and send them to the factory. Then they can name the final price. Hope I‘m finished tomorrow. So I‘ll know the prices (60% and 75% will be different) in a week or two.

Offline Harms

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 20:01:36 »
Will DZ60 compatibility be under standard 60%?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 02:18:31 »

Yes, you‘ll need the standard top part. You’ll also have to decide on one of three plates. DZ60 means you probably want the dedicated arrow cluster, so you’ll need the UNI plate. That will support most of the YAS and DZ60 layouts.

Offline Harms

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 02:38:03 »

Yes, you‘ll need the standard top part. You’ll also have to decide on one of three plates. DZ60 means you probably want the dedicated arrow cluster, so you’ll need the UNI plate. That will support most of the YAS and DZ60 layouts.
Thank you

Looking forward to the GB :)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Offline Fiona

« Reply #227 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:42:45 »
how can I open a group buy?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 09:12:51 »

There should be a link call "Open Group Buy" on GeekHack.
After you click onto the link and follow the step by step instructions, a group buy ist then effortlessly opened under your GeekHack account.  :cool:
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 11:37:56 »

Why, what are you hoping to run? Show us your amazing and awesome case ideas!

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:38:48 »

Why, what are you hoping to run? Show us your amazing and awesome case ideas!

There should be a link call "Open Group Buy" on GeekHack.
After you click onto the link and follow the step by step instructions, a group buy ist then effortlessly opened under your GeekHack account.  :cool:

guys, don't be so mean! there was a time for all of us when we first arrived here and didn't had no clue :)

so @Fiona:
this is the "IC" section, where we check if there is interest at all. sonn I'll have everything prepared and then I'll start a new post in the "GB" (Group Buy) section. There you'll find all the details of how to order. I'll link to the GB here when it is up.

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:46:15 »
Yes, the GB is still not live, sorry. It took longer than expected to get the final pricing. Due to the "high complexity" of the order, so I was told. I really got scared when I heard that, thought I might have miscalculated and everything ends up much more expensive. But good news, got the prices today, will be somewhere between 130 and 160 Euro which is exactly in the range I estimated back here.

There are still little details to sort out. The finish of the plate is still in question. Plate is steel not alu, think I mentioned it already. I don't want the blank steel to reflect/shine through the gaps between the keycaps. So I wanted to go for "brünieren", sorry not sure what the correct English word is. My contact at the factory suggested today that galvanizing (black) would be better for various reasons. This is still undecided jet, but I probably follow his suggestion.

Most importantly for you to know is that I will get samples. As soon as I get them I'll take nice pictures. When that is done, everything is ready to start the GB. So when it will start you can decide based on actual photos of the real thing and not just renderings. You'll know exactly what you get.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 13:37:42 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 13:11:35 »
Yes, the GB is still not live, sorry. It took longer then expected to get the final pricing. Due to the "high complexity" of the order, so I was told. I really got scared when I heard that, thought I might have miscalculated and everything ends up much more expensive news, got the prices today, will be somewhere between 130 and 160 Euro which is exactly in the range I estimated back here.

There are still little details to sort out. The finish of the plate is still in question. Plate is steel not alu, think I mentioned it already. I don't want the blank steel to reflect/shine through the gaps between the keycaps. So I wanted to go for "brünieren", sorry not sure what the correct English word is. My contact at the factory suggested today that galvanizing (black) would be better for various reasons. This is still undecided jet, but I probably follow his suggestion.

Most importantly for you to know is that I will get Samples. As soon as I get them I'll take nice pictures. When that is done, everything is ready to start the GB. So when it will start you can decide based on actual photos of the real thing and not just renderings. You'll know exactly what you get.

Good to hear, especially about the price! I am definitely down to snag one.
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline menuhin

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 14:58:51 »
...So I wanted to go for "brünieren"

English term can be "bluing" if you are trying to achieve a blue color, but I know you are trying to achieve a finish with some darker grey.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 16:46:40 »
Aaand another thing! You know how much I stressed about how I wanted to go for "highly individualized" plates in the beginning? Yeah, I have to admit now, that I just wasn't that experienced with plate designs and learned a lot since. Some of my thoughts back then just don't make sense and also offering lots of different plates(more parts) is an insanely stupid way to drive the prices up.
So, when I was told I'd have to wait a bit for the prices due to the "complexity" I went into panic mode and made a last quick change in order too keep the prices in check.
In short: ANSI/ISO separation got cancelled and now we are down from four to three individual plates. Two for the 60% and one for the 75%.
Yes, the 60% B-plate has huge cutouts. Combining the possible YAS layouts just isn't possible any other way. Also because the arrow-cluster DZ60 layout had to fit in the B-plate as well. The A-plate therefore is kept nice and clean, it holds the most common layouts.
Even though the B-plate has the big cutouts, I'm not worried. The wide frame of the plate ensures good stability.
I made more graphics so you can already have a look and think about what you might go for.
I'm pretty curious if the support for split bananas and DZ-arrow-clusters, which I implemented following some requests, will be worth the time spent.
Please let me know if I missed something.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 16:58:10 »
Did you post an approximate weight in grams anywhere for the 60% kit w/ plate?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:02:32 »
Did you post an approximate weight in grams anywhere for the 60% kit w/ plate?

hm, no, that question never came up until now.
I can weigh the prototype - which is completely assembled.
When I get the samples I will weight the kit (top, bottom, plate).

Offline menuhin

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:26:19 »
Please also check MX and Alps compatibility (e.g. how some other makers implement it) and on plate switch-top removal possibility.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 17:49:39 »

Please do so when possible.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 18:06:22 »
Yes, the GB is still not live, sorry. It took longer than expected to get the final pricing. Due to the "high complexity" of the order, so I was told. I really got scared when I heard that, thought I might have miscalculated and everything ends up much more expensive. But good news, got the prices today, will be somewhere between 130 and 160 Euro which is exactly in the range I estimated back here.

Most importantly for you to know is that I will get samples. As soon as I get them I'll take nice pictures. When that is done, everything is ready to start the GB. So when it will start you can decide based on actual photos of the real thing and not just renderings. You'll know exactly what you get.

For cosmetic finish options on steel, powdercoating is a pretty common and relatively low cost option, with good variety of colours available. Most sheet metal fabs should be able to do powdercoat finishes (or have a preferred outsourcer for doing so). Most automotive garages or body shops will offer this service as well. Worth looking into if you want a nice cosmetic finish.

For what it's worth, I don't think galvanised steel is a good option, as the typical surface finish is not what I'd call visually pleasing. And galvanising is an operation that's done on mild steel, not stainless steel anyway... It's used to provide some protection from the elements, not for aesthetic.

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 06:41:17 »
Please also check MX and Alps compatibility (e.g. how some other makers implement it) and on plate switch-top removal possibility.

I know, I know.
Alps compatibility is out of question. That would make the cutouts larger, therefore the plate would loose some strength. Even worse would be, that MX switches wouldn't fit tightly anymore. I feel like MX-switches in Alps-compatible cutouts is as good as PCB mount. Sorry, I know some of you prefer Alps switches and some of you are in favor of PCB-mounting their switches, but this is MX only and PCB-mounting/plateless isn't possible with this construction anyway.

I want it to be very good at something particular. Not be able to do everything but less good.

Same reason there is no switch-top removal support. Cutouts would be slightly bigger. I prepare my switches before I install them and I don't mod them later. If I want other switches, I just build another board. If something is wrong with a switch, then it's not a big deal to desolder it. BTW you should be able to remove and reinstall PCB-mount stabs if something is wrong with them - so you won't have to desolder ALL the switches, just the one that is stabilized.

If someone wishes for Alps support, I'd be willing to make him/her a customized Alps plate, but that would be expensive. Alternatively I could send the DXF data for an Alps plate to whoever want's it. Would have to make it him/herself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 06:50:12 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 06:42:14 »

Please do so when possible.

I'll buy a scale.

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 06:45:03 »
For cosmetic finish options on steel, powdercoating is a pretty common and relatively low cost option, with good variety of colours available. Most sheet metal fabs should be able to do powdercoat finishes (or have a preferred outsourcer for doing so). Most automotive garages or body shops will offer this service as well. Worth looking into if you want a nice cosmetic finish.

For what it's worth, I don't think galvanised steel is a good option, as the typical surface finish is not what I'd call visually pleasing. And galvanising is an operation that's done on mild steel, not stainless steel anyway... It's used to provide some protection from the elements, not for aesthetic.

All correct and well explained. I did powdercoating more than once before. The aesthetic of the plate is not the main concern for me - I just don't want it to shine/reflect through the keycap gaps. Powdercoating is a concern because the added thickness might make the installation of QMX clips quite difficult. But since QMX clips aren't really used by many, especially after we see so many silent switch versions, I probably might go for it instead of galvanizing. Wanna make a decision today. Anyone here who loves his QMX clips?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (final plate design)
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 07:03:16 »
Powdercoating is da wey my bruddahs.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 07:09:04 »
I'm not interested in silencing clips after trying some out.

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 08:31:15 »
Powdercoating is da wey my bruddahs.

I'm not interested in silencing clips after trying some out.

ok, thanks for all the input and help,
sorry QMX clips, powdercoating for the plate it is!
just gave my OK for the sample order. damn this was hard because I have to pay them extra and they are freakin expensive. the difference in price of making one unit versus a lot is just crazy. anyway, we are moving forward.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 08:34:26 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 08:41:01 »
E:

NVM.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:13:32 by P1kas »

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 09:18:24 »
the difference in price of making one unit versus a lot is just crazy.

You need make 5 pcs minimum for prototyping to save cost or make contract with vendor if you will make minimum more +10pcs after 1 unit done. It will save money for prototyping.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:38:31 »

All correct and well explained. I did powdercoating more than once before. The aesthetic of the plate is not the main concern for me - I just don't want it to shine/reflect through the keycap gaps. Powdercoating is a concern because the added thickness might make the installation of QMX clips quite difficult. But since QMX clips aren't really used by many, especially after we see so many silent switch versions, I probably might go for it instead of galvanizing. Wanna make a decision today. Anyone here who loves his QMX clips?

I have some QMX clips, tried them for a bit and removed them. Decent stopgap but they're not as effective as MX Silent switches, and are a pain to install and remove.

Cool if you're a casual user just trying to get a more effective silencing mod than o-rings, but people who want a silent board more than likely already have access to MX silent switches and foam insulating material for cases.

Powdercoated plates should be a little tighter, but iirc Cherry spec holes are generous enough that switches should still fit without any problems unless you really overdo it. In any case you could always try getting one plate coated and do a spot check with a handful of different switches.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:19:31 »

I know, I know.
... make the cutouts larger, therefore the plate would loose some strength...

Same reason there is no switch-top removal support.

If someone wishes for Alps support, I'd be willing to make him/her a customized Alps plate, but that would be expensive. Alternatively I could send the DXF data for an Alps plate to whoever want's it. Would have to make it him/herself.

I understand and respect your design decision. You are a thoughtful maker for sure - despite this is your first GB.  :thumb:

Another request for you to consider PCB pin size to be like those by KBDfans so that I can solder the China-made hotswap receptacles on it. That can be the best plate-mount solution for me.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT