Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage - Everything you want to know but are afraid to ask!  (Read 199399 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Kinesis Advantage - Everything you want to know but are afraid to ask!
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 20:20:38 »
I'm not "going to" Deskthority....I don't post much there. I was making that reference to Ripster because I need to ship Hoggy his keyboard, and the keyboard correspondence was conducted on Deskthority.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 21:02:37 »
Hope things work out for you Input Nirvana, and hope you'll be back at some point.
You probably won't even see this, hah, so probably talking to myself, sigh.  Oh well...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 21:53:10 »
TexasFlood-

I'm subscribed to this thread and have notifications turned on, so I'll be alerted when someone posts here, or when PM'd on GH. I'm not 100% off, but about 98% off. There are half a dozen threads that I have my finger on (Kinesis custom keycaps, etc.). I was planning on my time on GH to decrease drastically as I got into the final stages of the Kinesis customizing, which has accelerated this year. A lot of options and people with ideas became involved. At some point most projects get maxed out. The custom split Kinesis has always been my primary, but I've had a few major sideline items come along during the almost 3 years I've been monkeying around with it. I've bought and sold a Datahand, made some solid acquaintances, learned quite a bit (some of it actually valuable), learned about forums, etc. I'll probably kick in here in a few months with some targeted searches to see if something has popped up that applies to one of the many facets of the Everything Kinesis Advantage project. I was about to redo the article with the new title so it appears in search engines....but maybe someone can take that over for me.

As far as some of the changes that have occurred to me recently, some of them have been brewing/building for a couple years...so I need to regroup, make a 5-10 year commitment to a geographical location, pull in any contacts I have left, make new ones, and bust my ass to get something started. I'm 48 so my time is relatively short. I've got to make a lot happen in a short amount of time, or I'll be homeless and eating Alpo at retirement age. I'm highly talented and am a soldier for most things, but I still can't weather much bad luck or take too many risks. I need to find/create some opportunities with some great people, and use resources wisely.

I hope that some peeps still post any mods for Kinesis either here or on GH and maybe link in this thread. This article/discussion is a resource so others can see what has been done.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 23:14:51 »
Everyone's time on this planet is relatively short.

Go in peace brother input nirvana.

Namaste.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 17:58:33 »
FYI:

The Kinesis wiki I've been working on for a couple years that was originally named "IBM Trackpoint questions" before I knew what I was getting into...I tried to copy the entire wiki article over to the "Everything Kinesis Advantage" wiki page I started a month or so ago....but too much reformatting/attachment is needed, and since I won't be spending much time here I just wanted to get it renamed now. So against the cautions on the edit page I went ahead and just renamed the article "Kinesis Advantage - Everything you want to know but are afraid to ask!"  to see what would happen. If it was all lost...oh well. But it seems that links still go to it...so maybe it's ok. The "Everything Kinesis Advantage" has a copy (that needs drastic formatting) just in case it all blew up. I closed the page so no one would post there. I didn't want it to crash like some scorched earth thingy. Sorry for the forum mess. I created a header on the "Everything Kinesis Advantage" explaining why it's there....maybe someone has a suggestion on how to handle it. I'll deal with it at some point. Or not.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 18:48:06 by input nirvana »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 00:26:56 »
Noticed a bit of my work in there from back in the day in an intermission entry.
It's obviously keyboard related so on topic, :wink:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 01:24:49 »
Quote from: ripster;601711
Yeah, the Wiki SW blows.

I just copypastad everything to my subforum for better user experience and more control.

Got a link to your offending boobs pic?

I wish...it wasn't specifically boobage, just a girl in lingerie. It was neat, reminded me of someone I went to school with, or got a lap dance from. Whomever deleted it should return it. It isn't their property. Everything I've posted is not in the image manager.

Maybe I should ask for a subforum and just have my one article there.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 01:36:47 »
Thanks, I feel the love. The only love in a month.

I've posted more today since I "quit" yesterday than in the last 6 weeks. LOL But I did finally respond to Mkawas PMs to say what I really thought of this moderation fiasco.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 08:15:21 »
Quote from: input nirvana;601741
Maybe I should ask for a subforum and just have my one article there.

You should...I'm starting to find the sub-forums more and more enjoyable now that the main forum has become a police state.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 08:50:34 »
Quote from: input nirvana;595672
I believe someone was going to swap to "ergo" clears at some point. Was it Lanx?

yea, my daily kinesis driver is (A-Z, thumb cluster) ergo whites, the rest are browns. feels nice and tactile.

sadface on thoughts of leaving.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 11:06:23 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;601825
You should...I'm starting to find the sub-forums more and more enjoyable now that the main forum has become a police state.

I pm'd imav. For future reference.
But if I move my Kinesis wiki to my subforum...it won't show up in web searches, is that correct? I don't want that...it's for peeps that want info on the Kinesis Advantage. When I came to GH 3 years ago...there was nothing on the web at all about it, except a guy that painted the keycaps. So I wanted to clean it up and have it a resource that is accessible.

Quote from: Lanx;601836
yea, my daily kinesis driver is (A-Z, thumb cluster) ergo whites, the rest are browns. feels nice and tactile.

sadface on thoughts of leaving.

I tried the Summer os 2012 Cherry Switch tester...and the ergo clears definitely have merit with the Kinesis Advantage. Interesting. I had thought about using ergo clears on thumbs...but I would need more time. I had the tester for a few days, it came at a bad time for me and I didn't get totally 'into' the switches as much as I needed to.

Offline Input Nirvana

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 11:30:20 »
I notice when I click on the "Kinesis Advantage - Everything......." thread header when it is in the right column (meaning that it's the last thread someone has posted in for that subforum) I get a notice that says I'm not allowed to have access. Then I need to open the subforum and select the thread from the list of all threads. I think I may have read about this somewhere before.....sound familiar?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 11:43:29 »
TexasFlood found our girl...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51648[/ATTACH]

Totally appropriate in a soldering iron thread. Shows value.
(she was a full page size when I had posted her)

Life is short, don't eff it up.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:05:58 »
Quote from: ripster;601988
Good job TexasFlood.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks, but its Grrrrrruff now, try to keep up...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:07:33 »
Thanks all you guys. I've received some really nice supportive pm's and even a couple offers of help. Extremely cool. I'll make it...90 days to regroup and fix issues, moving on to new opportunities.

Ripster, your avatar rocks!

BACK TO KEYBOARDS!
(But only my Kinesis article for me)

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:09:24 »
Quote from: input nirvana;601993
Ripster, your avatar rocks!

I heard some music yesterday that perfectly matched Ripsters new avatar.
But didn't write it down and now it's gone, sigh. :sad:
There is a Godzilla movie on later today, probably always is on some channel somewhere.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:11:28 »
Quote from: ripster;601988
Good job TexasFlood.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

With your noble permission Input Nirvana I will use your pic here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?31797-Ripster-s-Hoody-and-TShirt-Collection-and-Why-Cafepress-and-Zazzle-Blow&p=601980#post601980

Hahaha! Yea, that's good.
It was a Mkawa and Reaper tag team. Communications from Mkawa. Not sure how the whole system works. Don't care.

Offline sordna

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 18:27:08 »
Hey, I don't post much these days, but I will keep subscribed to your wiki, as well as my own. Please do the same, I need you in the "Adding extra keys" article discussion!

Another thing I noticed, perhaps we finally have a Kinesis employee posting at GH? Says to contact tech support for leftover blank Kinesis keycaps sets.

Hmm, maybe it's not a good time for you to leave after all :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 18:54:50 »
That is a pic of the same "smoke" case Rick (from Kinesis) sent me, that I in turn posted in my wki, under the "Gallery" a few months ago. Rick also tld me about the several sets of blank black key caps they found, somewhere between 5-15 sets. I mentioned that somewhere at some point. I would have grabbed at least one set, but I want PBT blanks (the Kinesis deserves this), and, considering us guys, there will be more than the "standard" number of keys anyhow :) So it must be Rick!

As I mentioned a few months ago, as the Kinesis project winds down, my involvement on GH will also. There has been a lot of movement on customizing the Advantage the last 6 months or so, it's almost maxed out...until Kinesis pops out an upgrade!

Later this year I'll have pics and more details when I re-assemble my split Kinesis. I'll have to make a chair-mount for it, since I had to sell my Datahand and chair-mount last month.

I'm about to start looking into a start up...if it could be with customizing Kinesis keyboards I'd be set! I've had some drastic changes that I need to make similar drastic and productive changes to counter. I want to stay in the bay area, so now I need to network from stone cold and see whats out there. I may need to have 2 businesses to try and make up for all I've lost. If it becomes my lifestyle, it'll be easier than just a job.

So I'm still available, but moving on with life and getting into a more involved and productive phase. I regret some of my actions on GH, but I forgive myself my indiscretions...we all make mistakes.

I'll put the wiki in my subforum so I can mot have posts/pics deleted at whim. Hopefully renaming this wiki didn't cause any problems, but I'm clicking on it sometimes and it doesn't link :(

Offline sordna

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 19:34:56 »
I noticed one problem already: If I see this wiki in my Settings / substribed threads link and click on one of the discussion pages (to jump on the last page directly), I get a bad link like this, which doesn't include the title=Island:#### thingie

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?do=comments&page=15

So I have to click on the wiki title instead to jump to the main article, and then click on the last page of the discussion thread.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 20:46:47 »
Hmmm....I'll ask iMav....  :(

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:34:36 »
Something happened to the last wiki entry I made (it's not there) and now I don't have access to edit this article (?). I PM'd iMav about it so maybe it'll get fixed. I don't know if it had something to do with the changing the name of the wiki. So I dunno when/if it's repairable :(

Offline Soarer

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:37:29 »
Same (unable to edit problem) happened to my converter article. Got a message saying 'edit has been submitted for maderator approval' or something like that :-/

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:46:17 »
Edit submitted for moderator approval? I don't even have the "edit" tab...it's gone. WTF?? Weird.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #225 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:48:12 »
Hey did you ever find out what happened to your subforum?

If it's gone for good I'll add a "double shot kinesis set" to my wishlist for you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:55:24 by keyboardlover »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #226 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:53:47 »
Quote from: input nirvana;606465
Edit submitted for moderator approval? I don't even have the "edit" tab...it's gone. WTF?? Weird.

I had the edit tab. I edited the article, then got that message, then the edit tab was gone.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 22:03:11 »
I asked iMav and he said that he was cleaning up member subrorums/etc, and deleted mine since it didn't appear I was using it. and assumed I wouldn't use it based on comments I made on Deskthority. He said he would reinstate my subforum. I don't know what I would have said on Deskthority that gave that impression. I said there and I did here, that my time is greatly decreased 1) because much of my Kinesis info is mostly wrapped up, and 2) I've got some life changes that occupy more time, and different mental focus.

So I'm not clear on everything else that happened, I know Ripster was banned, but I haven't read (and won't) all the threads/posts/misc. regarding the drama. It is what it is, we all make our own beds. Plus...see my explanation above about my time/focus. And, I have a stalker! (I feel 95% better after going to court though). The only thing I really don't like that has been happening is the deleting of posts/threads. Big turn off, like a girl with B.O.

I just want to continue to work on m Kinesis thingy.

And thanks you guys, a lot of very cool PMs have come my way. It's nice to feel the love  XOXOXOXO

BACK TO KEYBOARDS!

Soarer:
Is GH being 'locked down" to prevent dissent/arguments/deletions/misc? I'm not very forum experienced.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 June 2012, 22:06:33 by input nirvana »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 22:19:57 »
I dunno such stuff!

There was a minor case of wiki vandalism, which might be why we can't edit these. No idea who's supposed to be approving edits, or if it's just a temporary measure, or a mistake, or whatever.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 22:38:12 »
Ahh...maybe that's it. Drama. I've had enough of that for a loooong time. If I don't get access, I'll find out if it's everyones wiki's. I don't have the time/energy to re-make it, and if I did, I maybe wouldn't be able to edit that either :(

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 22:57:13 »
Well I added the doubleshot Kinesis set to my wishlist for you anyway.

Cuz you rock. RIP Smoochie.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 23:26:15 »
Wishlist!

I'll see link in a couple mins. I'm downtown and just got something going on with a mid-late 20's very light blond, about 5-2 with a perfect body (like a coiled spring!) killer high heels and form fitting 1 piece dress/skirt. She should be in magazines. PYI: That was my opening line.

I miss Doodle so much. My greatest sadness :(

EDIT---- Once her group showed up 15 mins later.... the "moment" was diminished. But her glow was worth the time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2012, 12:03:10 by input nirvana »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 07:12:33 »
Hey after you're done with her send her my way. She sounds hot!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:33:22 »
Saw the wishlist....looks fun :)

I'm still thinking I need to see blank PBT keys, maybe from SP, since I have all the key profiles are known. I STILL don't have the source for all the key profiles in PBT :(

Offline Lanx

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 23:52:32 »
you can guess that there was probably a wiki scramble to prevent ripster from ripping wiki content off of GH, it's prolly fixed now, btw why's it gotta be a wiki? this thread seems fine enough to me. (or is this thread actually the wiki? lol)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 00:28:18 »
I have no idea what's going on. Been too busy to review threads here or on Deskthority. I don't want to either, I've had enough BS in my life, I don't need to hear about what may be happening here. I need a break from crap :) So you've given me more info than I knew. I personally don't care if anything I've done is copied, that's the point, to share the info, so if that's the issue, I don't care about that. Besides Ripster is not ergo/Kinesis so his interest in my wiki as a whole is most likely minimal, other than perhaps an interesting tidbit or two.

I just wanna work on my Kinesis wiki whenever. It's not an urgent thing, I was posting a pic and a link about Sordnas mod, and I got locked out. LOL. I'm not cruising the whole forum anymore, I just get notified when someone posts in this thread.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see some more of what you've done, I was going to link in this wiki to yours, mostly due to the radical nature of your mod.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 09:38:57 »
man, just like you i've been busy to the point that i've packed away the kinesis' in rubbermaid containers already, so sadly no progress.

Offline uberben

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 20:09:59 »
Wow, I get busy for a month and it seems like all sorts of drama breaks out. I hope all ends on a high note and the Kinesis info keeps up. I'll try to contribute what I can as my project gets underway.

IN: I'll add the thanks for all the info and help you've provided on the Kinesis front.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 21:25:27 »
Yo! I haven't been able to hit your website lately...very busy getting my life back together.

I have edit capability again, and am going to add a couple pics/info/link of Sordnas palm button mod. I'll deleted some fluff that is messy as well. I'm currently pressed for time but would like to do a couple things we had talked about with the controller info and a link to your website. I feel that is very valuable and could be of service. Let me know!

Offline ryanc

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 18:07:50 »
So, I managed to to add a trackpoint to my kinesis. I posted over in the keyboard forum, but it might get moved/deleted.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 00:26:30 »
See it HERE.

Really great stuff. Please share more if you can :)

I'm so proud!
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2012, 00:33:36 by input nirvana »

Offline uberben

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 09:41:07 »
Quote from: input nirvana;608926
Yo! I haven't been able to hit your website lately...very busy getting my life back together.

I have edit capability again, and am going to add a couple pics/info/link of Sordnas palm button mod. I'll deleted some fluff that is messy as well. I'm currently pressed for time but would like to do a couple things we had talked about with the controller info and a link to your website. I feel that is very valuable and could be of service. Let me know!

Ya, whatever info you need, let me know. I should be at the tail end of my crazy busy schedule now, so hopefully I will be putting some more time into this project soon.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 04:44:10 »
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 22:59:50 »
No, that's not him. That link is for a guy here in the bay area. I posted on that as "GG". Bluecar on GH also posted there.

I'll post Uberbens website shortly....if he doesn't do it first.

Offline uberben

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 08:01:57 »
http://skullspace.ca/wiki/index.php/Custom_bluetooth_keyboard
It hasn't been updated in a while as I've gotten real busy, but I'll be back at it in the next few weeks.

Offline Input Nirvana

Re: Kinesis Advantage - Everything you want to know but are afraid to ask!
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:17:32 »
Looks like the info/pics have gotten borked due to the site going down. I'll rebuild some of the wiki later. :(

Offline sordna

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 01:32:24 »
I wonder if our wiki's stand a chance to be properly revived with photos and such.... sigh

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 01:44:20 »
I was told no.

Offline sordna

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 11:40:30 »
Are our attachments at least stored somewhere on the server ?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 11:48:38 »
I don't know all the details of the attachment situation. I think the situation changed from what what thought originally, so I'm confused. I have not followed up with anything. I see some 'archive' forums and such, but I have not had the time to see what it's all about. Soarer backed up all my attachments, so I have a 4-5 of your pics that I used in this article, and I have another couple of yours as well, but that's about it. It is not at all inclusive :(