Author Topic: Trade G903 for G502  (Read 7536 times)

Offline typo

Trade G903 for G502
« on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 03:56:40 »
I honestly prefer the G50X body. However I have read it is not built to the quality of the 903. Plus I read the scroll wheel is still sloppy. Apparently they put the spring hinge main buttons though on the 502? My friend wants to trade but I do not know if the G502 is actually a better "built" mouse. Notwithstanding right handed I am concerned about the quality. The Proteous spectrum was not the quality of the 903. Did they bring the quality of the 502 up to 903 level? Thanks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Trade G903 for G502
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 10:20:37 »
I honestly prefer the G50X body. However I have read it is not built to the quality of the 903. Plus I read the scroll wheel is still sloppy. Apparently they put the spring hinge main buttons though on the 502? My friend wants to trade but I do not know if the G502 is actually a better "built" mouse. Notwithstanding right handed I am concerned about the quality. The Proteous spectrum was not the quality of the 903. Did they bring the quality of the 502 up to 903 level? Thanks

just buy both, hahaha..

@ Gekha, around here peeps own 10+ keyboards..  probably 20+ mouse.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 11:18:13 »
Yes me too TP. Although I am kind of tired of stuff I do not use or gift. Alone, 7 DECK keyboards I thought were so great. All dead. If not out of the box, soon thereafter. I just don't like junk anymore. Thank you for being in all my threads, TP. I feel like you are my "Buddy" on here LOL. I wish though someone could answer my actual question though. Given what I just told you. Not on display. Although, at BB can always return. Getting it for $55. Know Manager. Still, it is not worth long ride to even return it. I could just wait for "905" or whatever. It is inevitable. Mice are just not built like a Korean Keyboard unfortunately. The 903 "passes" as okay but previous ones did not so much. The G9X was a nice mouse though. They should have a "heritage" edition IMO. Logitech is my favorite though, notwithstanding good Trackballs. For one thing their CS is second to none. Everyone knows that. I cannot use a Trackball, too slow. I am on 3x 32" Displays right now. I have it set at 5,200 DPI and it is slow enough to be very precise in Autocad! Hey, Thanks again TP! You are the Man around these parts IMO.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 12:07:08 »
Thank you for being in all my threads, TP. I feel like you are my "Buddy" on here LOL.

Tp4 , Buddy to All..  cept a choice few on the crass list.

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 13:51:15 »
My Buddy! you mean A55 list lol. heck I will just get it. if sucks will return.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:31:49 »
Got it. Scroll wheel is indeed looser than 903 but not by any means horrible. I prefer the shape. Only ever used 903 corded anyways. So no loss there.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 09:47:46 »
G502 Hero scroll click does indeed lack. I hardly use it. For me the shape rules. No need to pay for wireless I don't use. However, overall the 903 is better built. It just hurts my hand and I cannot use "any" of the buttons. So this shall suffice. Just wanted others to know scroll click is not very good compared to 903.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 09:31:26 »
G502 Hero scroll click does indeed lack. I hardly use it. For me the shape rules. No need to pay for wireless I don't use. However, overall the 903 is better built. It just hurts my hand and I cannot use "any" of the buttons. So this shall suffice. Just wanted others to know scroll click is not very good compared to 903.

This is why I prefer something like the Intellimouse optical, or G400, Because it can be modded to have Omron d2f for all 3 switch left right AND middle.

The middle wheel click switch is the most often ignored switch, they always put whatever fits in there.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:34:37 »
Is the g900 and g903 the same externally?

I had to put in the blanks for the side buttons on my g900 to make it not hurt my hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 15:55:02 »
Is the g900 and g903 the same externally?

I had to put in the blanks for the side buttons on my g900 to make it not hurt my hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think the new one has the coil charge system for infinity power at the base which the old one doesn't have

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 16:41:59 »
IMO, G502 if gaming.

I have the G900(same as G903 but no wireless charge) and love it but I switch to the G403 for games.
Anything else like adobe apps or web browsing I use the G900.

Not the same mouse but I switched to the G403 from G502 for wireless and preferred the old one for gaming as well over the G900.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 17:56:14 »
I prefer the 502 for any usage at all. I do not game. I am a software Dev. It fits my hand much better. I am going to see later if the 903 scroll unit fits in the 502. It would be perfect then. As it is it is not bad. Do not let the looser scroll wheel deter you. Most people prefer the 903 scroll however, as do I. Anyways, the 903 hurts my hand and I cannot use ANY of the buttons on it! Very bad placement of buttons IMO. For most people at best it really only has 9 buttons. The blank must go in one side for most folks. If you are left handed, obviously the 903 would be better then. I do in fact use all the buttons. With Macro shortcuts to things I use a lot in C# and other development suites. I especially prefer it for long Autocad sessions. It just fits my RIGHT hand much better. Left handed I imagine the 502 would be horrible. The Hero now has the spring tensioned main buttons. Which are far superior IMO. No slop at all on main buttons and does not "snap" back with fast clicks. The 502 definitely just replaced the 903 for me. I never used wireless anyways. I do not feel overall the shell of the 903 is better built. I prefer the rubber grip on the 502. All Logitech products are well made and their CS is second to none. Please do not abuse their curtesy though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 21:08:49 »
The new MX518 is out though, that could be a contender.. it has Full omron 3button layout, good middle click.. Hopefully still optical wheel.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 14:53:36 »
I know for a fact the MX518 is much more comfortable. I actually use 11 buttons if I have them at my disposal. Plus the hyperscroll is indispensable to me. I do not think they could make a mouse the size of the 518 with all the features of the 502. So I sacrifice some comfort for performance.

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:19:57 »
Well, after using it a while.... The scroll wheel is in fact so bad compared to the 903. Than when switching back to the 903 I noticed the sensor is more precise. I know it is the same sensor for all practical purposes. However you can no longer "tune" it to your surface. I believe that is the difference. If they come out with a new 903 using the new sensor I am sure they will omit this feature as well. 12,000DPI is plenty obviously. Many people keep old mice they prefer. Like G9X and Intelimouse explorer. Classics. MX518 does not have hyper scroll I use a lot. Going through thousands of lines of code. It is a shame because the 502 fits my hand better. The scroll wheel just does not cut it IMO. YMMV. Also the 903 glides much smoother. Probably due to almost 1 ounce lighter. I am content with it and shall not "upgrade" until it quits. 903 is obviously a more premium mouse over the 502. I traded $150 for $70 Duh. Sure the wireless accounts for a lot of the price. It is much lighter even with a battery on board. I may remove the battery in fact. As I only use it wired. I have a "cable hanger" so there is almost no drag on the cable either. Oh well, at least $70 back in bank :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:28:23 »
The Tuning is suppose to be auto now on the Hero sensor.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:34:10 »
Apparently auto suckage YMMV. Of course I do not exactly have a gaming mousepad. It is a Mouserug which IMO is the most durable small mousepad ever. Been using it 15 hours a day for 17 years. Not a hint of wear.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:58:47 »
Logitech usually tunes for a uniform matte black surface.. so that's their preference.

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 12:19:41 »
No this is highly random colored. So that figures it did not work good. A shame you can no longer tune it. Stupid progression of technology. You know many folks here prefer an old mouse.

Look TP I know you are a PC expert. I need your help now. Once I plugged it back in, the 903. Now the left button is double clicking on single click. I tried another PC and MAC and no issue. So it is not the mouse. I slowed down the double click speed to notch "3". However it continues to do this. Also the scroll wheel often does not work now. I will try reinstalling the driver. It obviously set something different when it recognized the 903 again but I do not know what.

At least I am typing on my new custom board! It is just a Realforce RGB. I had a custom CNC Blue Aluminum case made for it! I stupid overpaid for case but I did not know any other fabricator and had to use them. They charged $2,500 just for the case lol. I even had to take it apart and put it in the case. They would not agree to. Real jerks but hey, I decided to use them. Right down the street and had it made in 4 days so whatever. I can't take pic because it is stuck in a tray right now duh. I am afraid to pull it too hard and scratch the case that cost me a fortune.

Just forget that though. I need troubleshooting please!

Offline typo

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 12:50:17 »
I believe I fixed it. Do not want Logitech gaming software installed. It defaults to the standard HID mouse driver then. I extracted the driver from the installer package and installed the correct driver. It seems to work now. Forgot to mention I had uninstalled the Logitech gaming software after I reinstalled the 903. This caused the driver to default to Windows standard driver for mice. Once I reinstalled the correct driver it seems to be fixed. That is BS that they force most people to have their software installed. Which BTW is well known that is "spies" on machines it is installed on. FU Logitech even though IMO they make the best mice. Not nearly invasive as Steel Series software though. I had a port and packet sniffer on it. It was in fact dumping information to Logitech. However Steel Series dumps your browsing history as well! Logitech just monitors mouse usage and sends them the serial # and first time it was installed. Plus reinstallations etc. Appears to be fixed however.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 16:08:07 »
That seems very odd.. If it's not doing that between PCs,  try switching usb ports on the receiver.

If it's still doing it on that pc,  REFORMAT TIME.. could be a input capture virus stealzing ur pr0n habits, -n- passwurds.

Worse comes to worst,  just solder in a new switch.. you want d2fc instead of d2f, because d2f is probably too tall, and 903 has that pretravel which may conflict.

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 23:03:18 »
Thanks. Nah, when I uninstalled Logitech software from setting up the 502 Windows defaulted to generic driver. Installed correct driver and works fine now. If you do not want the Logitech software installed you will need to extract the driver from the installer package. Otherwise these advanced rodents will not function properly. They do not offer just the driver unfortunately. Do not search for drivers! All those sites contain viri and browser hijacks.

Offline typo

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 19:25:30 »
Well, the 903 is actually broken! Very odd it broke when I tried the 502. No problem, Logitech has another on the way to me. Logitech support is 100%. Please do not abuse their kindness though. I know people try to get free stuff from them, that is not right. Apparently there is a known issue with aged 903 main buttons. It is just odd it happened then. Just a fluke that's all. I do not believe in Voodoo LOL.

The 502 Hero is an otherwise great mouse plagued by lousy wheel. It may not bother everyone though. If you are used to a 903 it is going to be a PITA probably though.

I wish I could use a trackball honestly. They are too slow across 3x32" displays unfortunately. I noticed my 903 is on 6400DPI. I can't even believe that because it is not fast at all to me. When the new 903 whatever comes out, doubt I get it. The lack of tuning is apparently a big issue on my beloved Mouserug. It is a shame for me at least they left that out. Plus 502 on solid color cannot adjust brightness! That was a deal breaker too. It does fit my hand better but the 903 I think is smaller. It is overall the best choice for me. I have tried many other mice. I only use it wired with hanger is no big deal to me. I am concerned if I keep unplugging the mini USB it fails like all mini USB eventually do. At least phones switched to USB-C.

Well, this was rather unfortunate but at least Logitech took care of it.

For the Harmony Elite if it breaks, Logitech has the ability to lock it. So you cannot steal those. Shouldn't steal anyways. I am a Logitech Fanboy!

Edit, I repaired it myself. I called Logitech and told them not to send a replacement because I am honest and value their decency. They said it is already shipped just use it as an extra! Honestly made in China these probably actually cost $1USD but still they don't have to do that and hardly any other company does. They never ask for a receipt. As I said $350 Harmony they shut off on me before they sent another to prevent dishonesty. They have every right too if you want a replacement well out of warranty. Well, I guess their warranty is about forever.  I am not sure if they can tell manufacture date by serial. Probably can but it could have sat on store shelf too. Nonetheless they are exceptional about warranty issues. Even if warranty may be well expired. Or they simply don't care. I doubt that, they are just a good company.

On a side note I now set my double click on notch 3. The standard middle notch is much too fast for my old fingers. Wheel did not spin as long as it used too but I just greased it. Now, greased lightening! It now spins twice as fast. This is a great mouse if unfortunately you cannot use a trackball for whatever reason. I have tried almost every top mouse. Maybe not enough buttons for MMO but I do not even game. Suits me fine. being smaller it fits my hand okay I guess but buttons on both sides are difficult to use. I manage anyways.
Did I say I love this?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 10:08:29 by typo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:53:15 »
Overall.. I feel that the Hero sensor is better tuned than the older pixart 3366 @ high dpi.

On my 4K tv,  Hero @ 3850 dpi feels very tame and controlled

Whereas, 3850 on  3366pixart sensor feels floaty and uncontrollable.

Offline typo

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 06:03:47 »
I actually like the 903 better now that I went back to it. It is better to claw. The only grip I use. It is lighter so moves around easily. When they come out with a new 903 I will try it. It may just not work with this particular mousepad. Luckily they sent me a new one. Since it started acting up again as soon as the new one arrived.

I have a question though. I have a custom paracord on it. It does not have the "wings". Are those just so it does not fall out when gamers whip it around. Or is it too much stress on the miniUSB connector? I have a cable hanger on it too. I never use it wirelessly. I feel the 903 is still a superior mouse to the 502. Although the update to the 903 with HERO will then have the better sensor. For now I still feel the 903 is better. I cannot stand that scroll wheel. I am not interested in the PRO or MX518. So for now stuck with the 903. I see the 903 was just discontinued so should be very soon.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 10:15:26 »
I actually like the 903 better now that I went back to it. It is better to claw. The only grip I use. It is lighter so moves around easily. When they come out with a new 903 I will try it. It may just not work with this particular mousepad. Luckily they sent me a new one. Since it started acting up again as soon as the new one arrived.

I have a question though. I have a custom paracord on it. It does not have the "wings". Are those just so it does not fall out when gamers whip it around. Or is it too much stress on the miniUSB connector? I have a cable hanger on it too. I never use it wirelessly. I feel the 903 is still a superior mouse to the 502. Although the update to the 903 with HERO will then have the better sensor. For now I still feel the 903 is better. I cannot stand that scroll wheel. I am not interested in the PRO or MX518. So for now stuck with the 903. I see the 903 was just discontinued so should be very soon.

It's both

Offline typo

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 12:50:13 »
TP, would you personally deal with the scroll wheel on a different mouse with HERO instead of the 903? I imagine replacement is coming shortly. Although I do not use wireless. So I am questioning why pay $200 for it which is what it is supposed to be. Which one would you get from Logitech right now? I really enjoy Hyperscroll so that pretty much limits me to the 502. The scroll wheel is not as nice as the 903 but I could live with it. Plus it is much easier for me to access all buttons. What would you do? Thank you

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 17:43:42 »
Tp4 personally prefers the 518 scroll wheel. It's optical, so it's significantly more reliable than the mechanical scroll wheel in the latest gaming mice out of logitech.

The 518 wheel is very smooth, much smoother than mechanical encoder wheels, and the indents and click spring are Big as well which makes for a Very pronounced click feedback despite being so smooth in rolling.

The hyperscroll doesn't stop you from using Multiple mice on a single PC.

You could do ur hyperscroll on ur wurk stuff, then switch to a different mouse for ur games.

Offline typo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 21:07:03 »
Thank you TP. I do not game at all. Have Quadro cards not Geforce. I am a developer. You already know that. So I decided to get the 502 again because I got it for $40. I can afford to waste $40. Actually the 903 scroll is not great either. Still, I prefer Logitech. Hyper scroll is important for coding. As you know only Logitech has it. I do prefer the MC518 but need Hyper scroll. Used a 502 foor years. In fact 502 and 903 are optical encoders on the scroll. The mechanical part is what makes it click or not. The encoders are optical. Trust me I have disassembled many of them. People get 903 and remove the battery. That is dumn IMO. Why pay $149 then. The new one will be MSRP of $200 but I will undoubtedly get it. Meanwhile the 502 shall suffice. The scroll is not as good as the 903 but the 903 is not so great either. Press middle often hit side on both of them. The HERO had issues with my mousepad. So picked up 3M pad as well, Cost me $3. These are not regular prices though. I know a Manager. On the other hand the Harmony Elite is so good that I no longer use my $2,000 URC. Logitech is the best IMO and their CS is bar none.

Offline typo

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 03:19:07 »
Actually the scroll wheels on 502 and 903 are about similar. Neither is great. Neither is terrible. I believe they are looser because of the Hyper scroll. The 502 is much heavier but it fits my hand better. I can also easily use all the buttons on the 502. On the 903 it is very difficult and often accidently hit buttons. For right handed I guess I still like the shape of the 502 better. Either one is a pretty large mouse but the 903 is lighter. Not ever using wireless I see no reason to pay for it.

Offline typo

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 06:12:21 »
The 3336 is exactly the same as the 3337(HERO). In the 3337 They changed one number of code to 16,000. Logitech themselves had added and then removed the code for "surface tuning". There is no reason the 3336 should behave differently but I believe you, TP. I bring this up because once again already missing shape of the 903. Although I cannot easily hit the buttons on the 903. Plus often do inadvertently. So it is hald dozen of one or Six of the other. Truth be told as a true geek I am happy to have the latest technology. Even if it is the same thing. 518 indeed is the best but I need Hyper Scroll. So that is going to be a loose wheel by it's very nature. The unlock mechanism has a bit of play in it. Even though the 903 fits better, sans button issues I shall not get the new one. I see no need to pay for wireless I do not use. I am not entirely sure if I will go back to the 903 yet. Used 502 for years. So I am sure my muscles can get used to it again. Currently, they are still trained on the 903. So the 502 feels odd right now.

Edit: I readjusted my Embody chair and now it fits fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2019, 06:41:11 by typo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 10:43:30 »
They said the surface tuning is accomplished automatically without user interaction.

But, overall, we didn't have surface tuning for years, and everything worked fine.

The only thing it does is increase noise rejection such that the sensor has signal to noise ratio such that it gives a more consistent performance between analyzed frames.

Offline typo

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:37:26 »
TP, every website says the 502 hero has the hinged main buttons like the 903. I think it does by feel. However Logitech themselves make no mention of it? I might just get the 518 after all. Will not miss hyperscroll if I set to 1 page I guess. Actually the first 502 was open box. Must have been broken. This one works just fine. Shape of 518 is much better. Actually I do agree it is more precise than 3336. Odd because it is really the same thing. Unless Logitech fine tuned it even more. I feel Logitech are the best mice if you cannot use a trackball. Their CS is second to none.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 12:25:35 »
TP, every website says the 502 hero has the hinged main buttons like the 903. I think it does by feel. However Logitech themselves make no mention of it? I might just get the 518 after all. Will not miss hyperscroll if I set to 1 page I guess. Actually the first 502 was open box. Must have been broken. This one works just fine. Shape of 518 is much better. Actually I do agree it is more precise than 3336. Odd because it is really the same thing. Unless Logitech fine tuned it even more. I feel Logitech are the best mice if you cannot use a trackball. Their CS is second to none.

The 502 has pre-travel hinge.

The 518 does not.

I can't tell the difference between hero and 3366 at low dpi.  but at 3850, it's very different.

Offline typo

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 13:25:03 »
Indeed it is smoother at 4300. Wheel about the same as 903 really. Not too bad. No doubt 518 is better without hyperscroll. There must be a bit of slack where it engages. Probably keep using 502. I doubt I go back to 903 now. After adjusted chair I remember the shape fine. At least I can hit the buttons and not inadvertently. I doubt I get new 903 either. Since I do not use wireless. On cable hanger hardly notice it is tethered. It suits me fine. I am sure 518 is nicer but I need the other features. So that's that. the HERO is indeed an improvement. I have improve pointer precession off. Let the mouse work properly. It certainly does. Logitech fanboy here.

Offline typo

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 04:12:50 »
Well, I just like shape and weight of 903 better. I will use the 903 until the HERO version comes out. If it ever does. Otherwise it is fine tuned on Mouserug at 4300dpi. I know I went back and forth on this but it is definitive now. The HERO may be a better sensor. So if and when it appears in the 903 I will get it. I had bad luck removing the battery in one so it will have to stay. Even though the weight reduction would be nice. Using it wired only. It is much lighter and not as wide as 502 to begin with but hump is bigger. I claw anyways. I did fine "enhance pointer precision" is better for coding if not for gaming. I do not game anyways.