Author Topic: ISO: white keycaps with side printing  (Read 4537 times)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
ISO: white keycaps with side printing
« on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 10:25:47 »
As stated I am searching for a set of white keycaps with side printing. I found a link on google that said to check out Qtan's ebay store, but I checked and didn't find them there. Does anybody know where I could find them?

Switch type - Cherry MX
Keycap number- 87

Something along the lines of this but for a TKL QFR

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: ISO: white keycaps with side printing
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 08:26:57 »
I've seen Ducky ISO sideprinted BLACK sets and Filco sideprinted white ANSI sets, but no white ISO sideprinted sets, unfortunately.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 14:59:37 »
Get a blank set and make your own with waterslide decals. You can make them with any font, colors that your printer can do. They are not super durable though so you would want to add a clear coat to it if you want them to last. Some people have also used dry transfer letters as well with a good result. Both good choices for one off custom stuff or difficult to source layouts.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 08:11:20 »
Get a blank set and make your own with waterslide decals. You can make them with any font, colors that your printer can do. They are not super durable though so you would want to add a clear coat to it if you want them to last. Some people have also used dry transfer letters as well with a good result. Both good choices for one off custom stuff or difficult to source layouts.

That's a pretty good idea. I didn't think about it

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 09:29:15 »

Being side printed, the durability is not nearly as important as top printed caps. It's a pretty good idea.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 09:42:46 »
I have to just mention something form my experience:

I can touch type on my DIY ergo board and use blanks on it, but I can't on a "normal" QWERTY board.

I have tried side printed caps, blank caps and caps with letters printed on the lower part of the keys (KBT Pure backlit caps) and prefer normal caps for most use cases. I have to look now and then to orient my fingers on the board and found keycaps with legends near the top of the keys best for visibility. The side printed were particulary difficult, almost as bad as blanks for me.

My favourites are actually Cherry legends :)

Of course, if you can touch type it doesn't matter.

Ivan's idea is a great one, so if you really want side-printed buy some blanks and do as he suggested.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:59:26 »

That's a pretty good idea. I didn't think about it

I'll have to try this when I get my pbts from IMSTO :)

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi