Author Topic: How to make nice and clean image for a custom art keycaps  (Read 3349 times)

Offline AresTheGod

How to make nice and clean image for a custom art keycaps
« on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:40:19 »
Hey guys!

I'd like to make novelties for my keyset project but I struggle getting a clean result, and the only one that was nice, was one with a transparent background...
But then I see people getting incredible result in their keyset ( like the MING Dynasty set 144981-0 ) and I'm wondering how they do and what I'm doing wrong...
Maybe i'm using the wrong technique ( i.e. when there is a backgroup I go on Paint(brush depends if I'm on Mac) and I color everything in a different color than the thing I want to keep and then I selection the whole thing and I 'crop'. Then I save and go on Inkscape and superpose the blank keycaps with the image and save ) or the wrong application?
Also to what image should I aim? Ones with higher quality? And how do I do when I get images with these little mark that make it's even harder to use them?

I hope you understood my questions! Thanks ;D

PS : I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong category, can't see anywhere else where I could go...

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
Re: How to make nice and clean image for a custom art keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:02:39 »
So if I'm understanding the problem correctly it's because your symbols aren't vectorized. You're making the symbol in paint then moving it over to inkscape?

I don't have much experience with inkscape, but I believe it is a vector art program. Making the symbols in inkscape should help with any jagged edges of pixel select tools.

I could have completely misunderstood the problem though. Do you have any examples of your issue? Might be easier to answer the question if we had some visuals :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:10:04 »
So if I'm understanding the problem correctly it's because your symbols aren't vectorized. You're making the symbol in paint then moving it over to inkscape?

I don't have much experience with inkscape, but I believe it is a vector art program. Making the symbols in inkscape should help with any jagged edges of pixel select tools.

I could have completely misunderstood the problem though. Do you have any examples of your issue? Might be easier to answer the question if we had some visuals :thumb:

I think I should be that!

Here's what I did so far
More
144984-1

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:15:22 »
Be careful though. Some of the novelties in that Ming set may not be manufacturable (some details I see there may be too small for the cutting machine tolerances that SP uses for producing double-shot plates). Don't go into it thinking that just because you can draw it and render it to a JPG file, that SP will be able to make a keycap legend out of it.

Offline AresTheGod

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 16:27:40 »
Yeah, I know don't worry, just would like to to get some simple but clean symbol like these one http://st2.depositphotos.com/1906711/7479/v/950/depositphotos_74793773-Vector-black-mining-icon-set.jpg

Offline Growgor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 05:39:18 »
Looks like a anti aliasing-alike problem you got there, probably because you are using something similar to paint, which doesnt do a very good job. As mentioned above, I would rather make symbols with vector graphics, so it's fully scaleable, without any de-sampling.
If your interested, I'll vectorize it for you, and convert it to any formats needed, and send it..
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 05:40:54 by Growgor »
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”