Author Topic: [IC] TGR Alice PCB (GB Live, Update: ARM MCU)  (Read 50238 times)

Offline .

Could we get a usb c pcb for the new case?
No we can not, because it would have to fit in its original case as well.

Offline comdata55

oh man, this is amazing. was sourcing my own case but now i don't have to!

Offline turbo_tim

yes yes yes yes

Offline heycheeeno

oh man, this is amazing. was sourcing my own case but now i don't have to!

I was pretty much doing the same thing (was going to take the cad files and alter them to my tastes) but if the acrylic case turns out good, I’ll join that too.

Offline tomu

• hi
Looks great. Will definitely pick up a PCB or two.  :thumb:
G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline dangboy

• yes
Damn this just keeps getting better and better. Already ordered my plate so definitely in for one. Don't need a case but I dig that it's avail

Offline comdata55

So do we need a plate for the acrylic case? Looking at the drawings of the case pieces it doesn't look like it. Can someone confirm?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
So do we need a plate for the acrylic case?

no

Offline comdata55

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline donhonk

I'm in! I had a chance for an Alice the first time but missed out cause my job was changing

Offline vonswoopington

Im in for the acrylic case and pcb
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline kchlam

Is there an estimated price for how much the kit would cost?

Offline Cloudnine25

• Chilling
Are acrylic cases limited quantity?
Interested in Lubrigante :thumb:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects

If you miss the group buy you can make on yourself and order one on Sculpteo, like I'm doing at the moment. It will be more expensive, tho. https://github.com/Zambumon/Lubrigante

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Nice!

PCB form where? Can I get on a mailing list somehow?

Offline gabbbe

Nice!

Same here! Really really down for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .

Nice!

The PCB for this is a custom design by me, based on the files from the designer of the original. Follow this IC to stay up to date.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon

If you miss the group buy you can make on yourself and order one on Sculpteo, like I'm doing at the moment. It will be more expensive, tho. https://github.com/Zambumon/Lubrigante
I did a similar thing, but I combined the top and bottom pieces to make it two part construction. And I heavily reshaped the outside edges. The PCB is the only missing part for me.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

I'm in for a new keeb.

Also, is this related in any way to that Cheshire keyboard on r/mk?
Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ai41if/cheshire/
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 08:33:10 by Dissitesuxba11s »

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
I'm in for a new keeb.

Also, is this related in any way to that Cheshire keyboard on r/mk?
Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ai41if/cheshire/

Nope, no relation to the Cheshire.

Offline crykn

I'm definitely in for a PCB. Depending on price I might have to skip the case for now and just have one made from the files when I can afford it. I'm hoping for a black or white PCB! Will one of the acrylic options be clear? I would love to be able to see a black or white PCB through a clear plate.

Offline phongnh

I am in for the acrylic case and pcb, awesome work.

Offline sarsaparillagorilla

I can't seem to find the comment I made expressing my interest in this potential group buy so I'm doubling down and I've redone the form and I'm gonna try commenting again to make extra sure that I definitely get notified about the GB as soon as it goes live!

Offline KorbenDallas

In for a acrylic case and pcb if I can manage to snag one! :thumb:

Offline airyimbin

Do we have an ETA on the PCB and Case?
Also I'm assuming that news for both group buys will be posted here?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Do we have an ETA on the PCB and Case?
Also I'm assuming that news for both group buys will be posted here?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

At least for the case, I should be able to test the pieces in a 4 layer 5mm configuration by the end of the week. I know the guys at Homerow are also working on a prototype case at the moment.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
Been dreaming of the day I got to build and Try and Alice.  Count me in for a PCB and Acrylic Case. Maybe two lol

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
I'm also totally keen on building one.
Or two.

Offline oh_chesteroni

I'm trying to put two and two together here based on what Zam and jaxxstacks have recently posted, but some clarification would be appreciated: will the acrylic case be in the style where you have to stack multiple pieces together (as Zam mentioned) or will there be a discrete bottom, plate, and top made from acrylic?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
Yuktsi posted open source version of the acrylic case files in the Alice GB thread. Zambumon modifies them keeping it 4 parts, each 5mm thick. I modified them into a two part construction with integrated plate on the top half. Mine can’t be laser cut like Yuktsi’s or even CNC’d if you use acrylic. I’ve been spending months and a lot of money finding a manufacturer that can satisfactorily even make a one off for me, so Yuktsi’s files or Zambumon are the way to go for now.
Keep in mind, from what I saw on MrKeeb’s stream with the 5mm acrylic plate layer, you can’t use screw in stabilizers. You need PCB mount, flush stabs. Or if you go into CAD and extrude that layer, you can add cutouts like the Zephyr plate has.

Offline oh_chesteroni

Yuktsi posted open source version of the acrylic case files in the Alice GB thread. Zambumon modifies them keeping it 4 parts, each 5mm thick. I modified them into a two part construction with integrated plate on the top half. Mine can’t be laser cut like Yuktsi’s or even CNC’d if you use acrylic. I’ve been spending months and a lot of money finding a manufacturer that can satisfactorily even make a one off for me, so Yuktsi’s files or Zambumon are the way to go for now.
Keep in mind, from what I saw on MrKeeb’s stream with the 5mm acrylic plate layer, you can’t use screw in stabilizers. You need PCB mount, flush stabs. Or if you go into CAD and extrude that layer, you can add cutouts like the Zephyr plate has.
Thank you for the detailed explanation! Also, sorry, I totally botched your username in my post. Hmmm I was never a fan of the acrylic stack style cases, guess I'll have to see how much they'll be for this GB before i determine if I'll join. One last question, did you mean plate mount stabs? Or none screw in pcb stabs?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
Non-screw in stabs. Clip-in stabs

Offline jizzaztartist

+1 for case and pcb

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071

How about some 1.5mm metal layer options?
   Low profile: 1) 1.5mm metal switch plate, 2) 3.5mm acrylic spacer, 3) PCB, 4) 5mm acrylic spacer, 5) 1.5mm metal bottom or 5mm acrylic bottom.
   High profile: Add 0) acrylic keycap surround layer.

Or maybe I am making this too complicated?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2019, 10:44:55 by dvorcol »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects

Low profile: [1] 1.5mm metal switch plate, [2] 3.5mm acrylic spacer, [3] PCB, [4] 5mm acrylic spacer, [5] 1.5mm metal bottom or 5mm acrylic bottom.
   High profile: Add
  • acrylic keycap surround layer.

Or maybe I am making this too complicated.

Wait until I test the design, I've a 6x 3mm layer version, which should be easier to laser cut.

Offline crykn

Low profile: [1] 1.5mm metal switch plate, [2] 3.5mm acrylic spacer, [3] PCB, [4] 5mm acrylic spacer, [5] 1.5mm metal bottom or 5mm acrylic bottom.
   High profile: Add
  • acrylic keycap surround layer.

Or maybe I am making this too complicated.

Wait until I test the design, I've a 6x 3mm layer version, which should be easier to laser cut.

I think a 6x3mm would be a really cool opportunity to do clear acrylic, except for the integrated plate and use laser cut brass for that. Although that might not be in the interest of this GB.

If you guys don't want to do that, for the 6x3mm option, people could always have their own plates laser cut since it's open source.

Offline djmantis

Interested in a PCB and case!

Offline braidn

Totally in with an acrylic case and that QMK goodness

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
I'm in for the whole bit

Offline ctrlshiftbryan

Also in for the whole thing. Take my money!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Interested in a case and 2 PCBs depending on price
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 01:51:44 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aox

Oh man, I'm definitely interested.  Once I saw there were cases too, I went ahead and picked up a plate.  SO IN.

Offline gabbbe

PCB for sure! I might get the case too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
Oh man, I'm definitely interested.  Once I saw there were cases too, I went ahead and picked up a plate.  SO IN.

The acrylic alice comes with an integrated plate. You do not need to buy a separate plate. Shoot me a PM or email me at contact@projectkeyboard.com.

Offline krey

This looks exciting
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline babyphil

Would love to get a case and pcb.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
Hi All,
I have some good news and bad news.
Starting with the bad news:
Our goals for the acrylic board did not align so I will be pulling myself from the acrylic boards for this group buy. Keebs may or may not continue production of these, but nonetheless I feel that fulfillment and quality control of these might be too complex for me as we are geographically located on other sides of the world.
Good news:
Prototypes for the PCB are on its way to me as we speak, and we will be hand soldering (God bless our souls) so we can test these out before we start the group buy. The actual production of these PCBs will be sourced to fab that can solder all the components for us, while we port it to QMK and create a default hex.
I know that many of you wanted to test the layout by ordering the acrylic alice and I apologize that I would be pulling these board from the group buy. However, there are many alternative options that can get you the acrylic boards. If you have a local shop that can laser cut acrylic or you can check out ponoko.com to have them cut for you.  Both of these are relatively inexpensive options.

Offline jizzaztartist

Re: [IC] TGR Alice PCB (Update: PCB Proto on the way | Acrylic board dropped)
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:24:08 »
Can I cancel my order of a PC plate from your other buy in light of this case being dropped?

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:30:27 »
Can I cancel my order of a PC plate from your other buy in light of this case being dropped?

You didn't need a plate for the acrylic case. The acrylic board has an integrated plate.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:45:51 »
rip, hopefully a new ic will pop up for the acrylic board for news to follow.