Author Topic: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - Everything's Shipped!  (Read 12683 times)

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
SPRH (Square Peg, Round Hole): A keyboard by Eye Oh Designs
A 65% ortho board compatible with standard keycap sets

Whether you're an ortho user thirsting for a keycap set that doesn't have nearly enough 1u keys, or a staggered user thinking about dipping your toes in the ortho pool, the SPRH has you covered.

The group buy is closed! Thanks to all who participated!
Reminder to pay your invoices. Most have, but there are a few hanging out there! I'm planning to place the orders for the cases and PCBs over the next several days, so pay or let me know if you're unable to participate. Thanks!

Stats:
CNC machined Aluminum available in anodized black or blue
7.5 degree typing angle
Top mount plate in sandblasted brass or FR4
Rotary encoder (2 color options pictured) with button press
Daughterboard with USB-C and protection from overcurrent and ESD conditions
Runs QMK
Includes needed hardware and bumpons
Millmax hotswap service

Pricing:
Basic kit (with either plate material): $350
Extra PCB: $40
Extra Brass Plate: $45
Extra FR4 Plate: $30
Switch Plate Foam (thicc 4mm EVA for you ASMR fiends): $20
Hot Swap Service:  $35 (includes cost of mill-max sockets and labor for soldering encoder and mill-max). I may be shutting this down soon so that I don't get overwhelmed with soldering
Shipping: $18 US. Non-US shipping calculated at invoice.

GB Format:
April 9 - April 30
Minimum: 10 units
Max: 50(soft cap) - 75 (hard cap)
Payments: Google Form with Paypal invoicing.
Shipping to start approx 4 months from GB close.

Sound test 1: https://streamable.com/7ly7b4
Brass plate
Novel Keys Dry Series Yellow, lubed with 205g0
Durock Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

Sound test 2: https://streamable.com/dovj4s
FR4 plate
3mm EVA Foam
JWK T1s, factory lubed slider, body and spring lubed with 3204
Cherry Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

@eyeohdesigns
/u/eyeohdesigns
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 January 2022, 13:37:16 by joedinkle »

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 17:37:16 »
1-27-2022 Update: Shipping is complete! Some of the boards have been delivered and the rest are on their way. The last thing that remains to be done is get the firmware merged into QMK. In the meantime use this to build your firmware. I had another pull request open and was waiting for that to get merged before doing the PR for SPRH. Please let me know if you don't have command line QMK and need a hex file. I'll be happy to help.

1-23-2022 Update: Shipping is just over halfway done. If you don't have a tracking number, you're either non-US or I sent you an email. I'll take care of international orders tomorrow after work, and I'll finish the remaining US orders that respond to me between now and tomorrow. If your shipping is to the US and you don't have an email from me, please reach out and let me know.

1-8-2022 Update: Happy New Year! It's time to get these keebs shipped! We're done with QC and things are looking great! At this point, I've got the final items remaining:

-Finish creating firmware for those with hotswap service. The intent is that no one has to make their own firmware, you'll only need to adjust the keymap to your liking. As the QMK code for encoders has recently changed, I'm not sure the firmware will be merged with QMK before you receive the boards. Rest assured that your boards will be flashed with your requested layout, and you will be able to access the code on my github (https://github.com/joedinkle/qmk_firmware)

-Upgrade the Daughterboards. All of the daughterboards work, but I'm changing out the fuse to a more resilient part. This is a quick fix, and I'm nearing 50% completion on these.

-Get everything packed and shipped! Hopefully you all start seeing shipping notifications by the 18th of January.

Thanks for your patience!

12-10-2021 Update: The cases and brass plates are finally in! I received the cases a couple of days ago and have started the QC process. I work full time, so most progress will be made on the weekends. That being said, baring any setbacks with the cases (they look great btw!) I'm hoping to start shipping things early January. This will ensure people are not away on travel when their keyboard arrives. If you've got any special requests for shipping, please let me know.  :thumb:

11-2-2021 Update: Peeps, not much change from the previous update. The boards are in the process of surface polishing and are still waiting to be anodized. I'm frustrated with the timeline, but things are still progressing. I'm still alive. I'm still in contact with the manufacturer. I still intend to deliver this board.  :thumb:

9-26-2021 Update: Quick update on the latest on the cases. The manufacturer received the daughterboard sample. The top pieces are done being machined. The bottom pieces are being machined now. They have told me things will be shipped by the end of October.

I'm hoping to start shipping by the end of November.  I'll keep everyone posted with any news!

9-6-2021 Update: Hey guys! Here's the latest.

Cases: I received the production samples recently. I was really happy with how the logos turned out and how everything looked. I gave the go ahead to put the top piece into production. The bottom piece had some issues with the fit of the daughterboard even though this was not previously an issue with 3d prints and samples received from this manufacturer. I sent the manu a daughterboard to assist with their fabrication. That was supposed to have arrived late last week, but international shipping is still not what it was pre-pandemic. The part left the US at the end of August, and I am watching the tracking info closely.

All other components: No change

Updated timeline: Honestly it's hard to say until the manu gets the daughterboard. Realistically, I'm hoping I can start shipping things by the end of October, but that depends on the manufacturer receiving this part pretty soon.

I'll let you guys know when something changes!

7-31-2021 Update: Hey peeps! Sorry it's been a bit since I've updated here. I have been engaging with folks from the group buy on reddit and email, so that's been part of the reason I haven't done a post here. Anyway, on to the updates.

Cases: The production samples should be shipped to me in the coming days. This has taken longer than expected due to some certifications, inspections, etc at the manufacturer. I have seen pictures of what they're working on though. Once I receive the sample and everything checks out, I'll give the go-ahead to start production.

PCBs/FR4 Plates: All received. Everything's working. The plates look great! I've reached out to all customers that wanted the hotswap service. I believe I've received a response from everyone. If you ordered this service and didn't get an email, check your junk mail or reach out to me directly through my paypal email. I know there is one customer that asked to be added to the hotswap service. I should be able to do that, I just need to email you directly to confirm your choice of mods.

Miscellaneous items: All knobs and JST cables received. All foam is cut.

Firmware: SPRH is QMK official! Since this was a small group buy, there are only 2 keymaps. One with split keys and one without. If you ordered the hotswap service, I plan to build a firmware that supports your layout and push it to QMK in a future PR before I ship the boards. I imagine that will cover most of the possible layouts. If you are a QMK noob, did not get the hotswap service, and your preferred layout doesn't get captured in a future keymap that I add, reach out to me and I'll help get that layout added as well.

I'll let everyone know once we go into full case production. Should be soon!

-Brandon

5-31-2021 Update: Hey folks! Quick update on the project:
Cases: It seems things are going slow here due to material shortages. The material has now been received, but I've yet to receive the production samples. So far the manu's estimate on completion hasn't changed. I'll provide some more info here once I have it.

PCBs/FR4 Plates: I received working samples of the daughterboard and main PCB. They look great and work just fine. I've given the okay for the rest of the boards to be assembled. Hopefully I'll have these in hand by the next update. Once I get shipping on the PCBs, I'll reach out to those that wanted the hotswap service to sort out layouts. The FR4 plates have been finished for some time, but they won't ship until the rest of the PCB material ships.

Miscellaneous items: The only change here is that I've received the foam. I've been busy with a few other things, but plan on getting the rest of this cut over the next week.

Firmware: The PR has been submitted. If you're super interested in what's going on with that, you can follow along here.

That's all for now. I'll keep providing these periodically.

-Brandon

5-7-2021 Update: Hey peeps! Things are moving right along. Here's where we stand.

Cases: Cases and brass plates were paid for on May 5th. The manufacturer estimates 70 days to complete the order. I've requested a production sample before the entire order is completed to do a final fit test and to confirm a good color match on the blue since it's been so long since that prototype was made.

PCBs/FR4 Plates: Main PCBs and daughterboards were paid for on May 5th. The main PCBs have gone into production. I'm fixing a minor issue with the daughterboard BOM and those will go into production shortly thereafter. Just like with the cases, I've requested a production sample before the rest go into production. Once I receive those and give the thumbs up, I'll begin reaching out to those that requested the hotswap service to confirm which layout you'd like. The FR4 plates were paid for today. They'll go into production soon.

Miscellaneous items: Most of the foam is cut. I've just about run out of material, but I ordered more. I'll cut that once it arrives. Knobs, daughterboard cables, and other items that are easy to purchase with little/no lead time will be ordered closer to fulfilment. I have a bunch of kids running around the house and things always get lost. I'll wait to order those types of items until it makes more sense.

Firmware: The firmware is pretty much ready to be submitted to QMK. I just need to add a JSON for the new split layout that was added at the start of the group buy.

That's all for now! I'll be doing these once a month or when something significant happens, whichever is sooner. Take care!

5-5-2021 Ninja Update: All files for the PCBs and cases have been submitted, but I'm waiting on final invoices before I can pay. I've been told by the PCB fab that I will have this by 6 May. I'm hoping to have received the final invoice from the case manufacturer by then as well. Once I get things paid for, I'll do a more comprehensive update and bump the thread.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 January 2022, 22:47:20 by joedinkle »

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 14:30:25 »
Hey guys! We hit MOQ yesterday! I'll be sending out the first round of invoices soon. :thumb:

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 09:22:38 »
We're at the halfway mark and there are still a few kits to grab!

If you signed the Google form, you've been sent an invoice. Most everyone has paid, but if you haven't please pay promptly so things can get ordered as soon as the group buy is over. :thumb:

Vixen

Offline Ratheighna

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 14:50:35 »
Will the finished products have the logos on the front of the case?

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 23:38:11 »
That's the plan. The logos were finished after the prototypes were ordered, so they weren't included in those. Once the buy period of the GB is over, I intend to get a production sample made before giving the green light on the rest of the boards.

Vixen

Offline bdju

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 02:39:12 »
Can you buy the PCB by itself?
Can the PCB fit into a normal 65% case?
It would be interesting if this were like the Lumberjack but for 65% form factor and could be used to upgrade older boards.
libre lad

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:58:02 »
Can you buy the PCB by itself?

Right now my focus of effort is on the full kit. I'm sure there will be a small number of PCBs left over after the group buy that I would make available. I'm not sure how many at this point though. Plate files will be released, so making a case of your own would be simple from there.

Can the PCB fit into a normal 65% case?

Due to the unique layout this would not fit into another case.

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Update bump. Check the 2nd post.

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Update bump in the 2nd post.

Vixen

Offline skydoy

• Create Stuff
Hi any news, on the production?
Stuff on my hands....

The White Fox - Gateron Brown
Custom RGB - Modded Cherry Blue Clear Casing
ONE W - Gateron Brown

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Hi any news, on the production?
Hey! I'm overdue for an update. I'll put something comprehensive together before the end of the week. The short is that things are still moving along but may slide past August based on slow downs from the case manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs

Vixen

Offline skydoy

• Create Stuff
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - PCB samples received
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 04:31:24 »
Hi any updates?  ;D
Stuff on my hands....

ONE W - Gateron Brown

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 10:06:37 »
Hi any updates?  ;D

Yup! Check up top :thumb:

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 23:51:18 »

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vixen

Offline dsbkoko

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 01:00:04 »
any extras or anybody looking to offload? just found this build after looking at a couple others, would be ideal.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 20:49:18 »
Update in the 2nd post.

any extras or anybody looking to offload? just found this build after looking at a couple others, would be ideal.

There will be a very limited number of extras, but there are some. Keep an eye out here.

Vixen

Offline dsbkoko

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 10:07:10 »
thanks! will do.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Update bump! Check the 2nd post. The cases are (finally!) here!

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - Packaging started!
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 20:53:49 »
Update bump in the 2nd post!

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - Shipping!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 13:36:34 »
Update bump! Everything has shipped!

Vixen

Offline skydoy

• Create Stuff
Re: [GB] SPRH - An ortho for your standard keycap sets - Everything's Shipped!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 February 2022, 18:38:16 »
Just Got It  :cool:

I just need one thing weren't there 2 colours for the knob?
Stuff on my hands....

ONE W - Gateron Brown

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 February 2022, 22:43:07 »
The knob options were black or clear coat satin/semi-gloss. If you're looking for an extra one, i can let you know where I got them from. I'm going to be unable to ship anything for a few weeks.

Vixen

Offline Vongo

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 05:45:28 »
Got mine! Thanks for this GB, the board is a beauty!