Author Topic: The future case color of QFR cases  (Read 4386 times)

Offline theultrazord

The future case color of QFR cases
« on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:31:02 »
I noticed in one of the CES videos with Carter that future keyboards will strictly feature a black case. I was wondering if that is accurate and how other feel about this. Personally I found that the standard case color of QFRs are gorgeous and unique to the brand. I also feel that the option for a few case colors (current silver/grey, black, ivory, perhaps special editions like pink or blue) would be awesome.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: The future case color of QFR cases
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:33:43 »
It is accurate, they are even eliminating current SKUs that feature the silver/grey color in favor of keeping the SKU count down.

He is looking at the possibility of additional options for case top replacements, there's a thread on that in the CM subforum.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:29:00 »
Standard QFR colours? Are you referring to the grey cases? As far as I know only one switch type had these cases, and personally I don't like the look of them although I've never seen them outside of photos, so my opinion could change if I saw one for myself.
At the moment, though, I don't mind them going all black.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:41:00 »
I don't mind the gray.  I have not used it enough to determine if it will wear much.  I wouldn't mind a black case thought.

Actually I am wondering what different coloured keycaps will look like on the gray.  Most keycaps go well with a black case.  Or a white case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:46:27 »
Hm, I'm wondering if we could convince Carter and the folks at CM to maybe make available the whole housing in plain black or unpainted/unfinished, and a single sheet of paper explaining best practices for paint prep on it.
Not saying I'm pondering a Wyse QF Rap-okay so I'm trying to find the amber LEDs already. WHO'S WITH ME?
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:59:56 »
Hm, I'm wondering if we could convince Carter and the folks at CM to maybe make available the whole housing in plain black or unpainted/unfinished, and a single sheet of paper explaining best practices for paint prep on it.
Not saying I'm pondering a Wyse QF Rap-okay so I'm trying to find the amber LEDs already. WHO'S WITH ME?
I'M WITH YOU.

Seriously, I'd love a WYSE style QFR.

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:20:26 »
Standard QFR colours? Are you referring to the grey cases? As far as I know only one switch type had these cases, and personally I don't like the look of them although I've never seen them outside of photos, so my opinion could change if I saw one for myself.
At the moment, though, I don't mind them going all black.
The Browns, Blues and Blacks came in a Grey case that had a really nice sheen to it that makes it look somewhat silver and a greyish logo. The green and red switch QFRs come in a black case with a red/white logo on the top. I like it much more than the finish on my Filco which is why its sad that it won't be produced anymore.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:31:45 »
amber leds... check.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 01:04:50 »
amber leds... check.
Of the cheaper LED colours, I much prefer amber, unless there's a "look" I want to go for.

But I'm all for Cmstorm WYSE lookalikes. I'm all about the WYSE.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 03:55:13 »
amber leds... check.
Of the cheaper LED colours, I much prefer amber, unless there's a "look" I want to go for.

But I'm all for Cmstorm WYSE lookalikes. I'm all about the WYSE.

I wouldn't classify amber as a 'cheaper' LED; depends on the mcd rating. I don't know what the mcd rating is, but I'm guessing it's probably around a hundred or so stock. (And blinding at that, from what I hear.) So figure they're close to $0.50 each at around the 50mcd range with a wide enough angle for the intended use - about 45-60 degrees. Personally I like amber because it's easier on the eyes.
Similar greens for comparison, run about $0.12-0.25 each.

Mine'll be here tomorrow, figuring to swap caps pretty much immediately, so we can have some photos to get an idea. Since it'd probably need a custom Moogle set anyway, anyone got the name of the font Wyse used originally? Maybe I'll poke around setting a group buy of CM QuickFire Rapid Wyse Conversion Kits with the window accommodations. Could even do 'em as PBT dye-sub based on the tan/black tan/yellow!
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 09:53:26 »
I forget the actual name of the WYSE font, but it's the same font that SP uses now.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:37:08 »
I like the grey.. I am going to have to buy one of these before they are no longer grey..

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 04:29:17 »
Maybe a light grey/off-white color? Like old keyboards?

Or would it be possible to order a plain cover? Like plain plstic color, not covered with this soft rubber and not painted in any color?
What is the plain plastic color you guys use? Is it white or some kind of light grey?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:11:03 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::