Author Topic: Please fix the Quickfire TK  (Read 71663 times)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Please fix the Quickfire TK
« on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 22:10:21 »
So I got a QFTK today, and here are some things I'd like to bring up.

1. The far right enter key only works when the num lock is on. I specifically purchased the QFTK to get a smaller than full-size board, while keeping the right enter for use, so I'm kinda disappointed I have to turn on numlock and disable my arrow keys in order to have the easy to use enter key. I might try to "fix" this with some wires soldered along the backside of the board at a later date.

2. The mods. oh dear god. the mods... 1.5:1:1.25:6.5:1.25:1:1:1.5. Everything is manageable, except the spacebar, why 6.5... why ;____; Granted this is more of a problem with custom keycaps, than a problem with the board itself, let's just hope these stock caps don't wear too fast.

That's all I can think of right now, but in the process of removing the spacebar, I learned the QFTK uses cherry stabs, which are 1000x better than costar, thank you for that :)

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Please fix the Quickfire TK
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 22:21:35 »
well look at the modifiers size from the left side and right side of the space bar, all the odd sizes between the modifiers have the final outcome of odd size spacebar, I believe Pure has the same problem too.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:57:33 »
3. When FN Lock is enabled, you lose your F-keys, I can't press FN+Fx to get the functionality either, I have to hold the FN Lock until it deactivates, and then press the F-Key I want.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 06:35:07 »
Yeah I liked the idea of the TK but its form and function were not that great. The biggest complaint I had with mine was the paint was coming off the keycaps out of the box.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 17:48:27 »
While this will come as good news to some, and frustrating to others. All new TKs will be shipping with fixed F/W to allow an active enter key when num lock is off. Unfortunately, the boards which are already out are not capable of a f/w flash...

I really do apologize for this, and we always try to continue to support our products. We have certainly listened to your comments, and made a running change accordingly. I am very sorry for those who are unable to flash already previously purchased boards.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:03:35 »
While this will come as good news to some, and frustrating to others. All new TKs will be shipping with fixed F/W to allow an active enter key when num lock is off. Unfortunately, the boards which are already out are not capable of a f/w flash...

I really do apologize for this, and we always try to continue to support our products. We have certainly listened to your comments, and made a running change accordingly. I am very sorry for those who are unable to flash already previously purchased boards.

Thanks for the reply Carter! I hope you didn't take this list the wrong way, I really like this board, just these three (now two) little things were bothering me and I figured I'd bring them up.

Keep up the good work Carter <3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:24:56 »

Any way for us end users to know which we are getting? Is it a version 2?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:26:12 »

Anyway for end users to distinguish the boards with new firmware? Will these be version 2?

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:31:52 »
Any chance that you'd stock replacement 6.5x spacebars, since they don't seem to otherwise exist at all? Maybe without underscore legend?

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:08:17 »
Anyway for end users to distinguish the boards with new firmware? Will these be version 2?

I will try and work with our logistics team on this, but as far as total channel sell through, its very hard to know exact transition. We ran into this issue with the Branded/Unbranded Rapids.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:09:24 »
Any chance that you'd stock replacement 6.5x spacebars, since they don't seem to otherwise exist at all? Maybe without underscore legend?

Just contact our CS team via live chat, I am sure they would be able to pull some from RMA boards that were not used much. We do parts request fulfillment all the time. But obviously it would be the same _ pattern.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:25:07 »

Just contact our CS team via live chat, I am sure they would be able to pull some from RMA boards that were not used much. We do parts request fulfillment all the time. But obviously it would be the same _ pattern.

For the record I have never gotten anything but frustrated and annoyed attempting to use CM CS chat, but I've been told I'm an little man, so YMMV.

Offline ShaPeLesS

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 04:15:49 »
Carter,

Were you able to make the newer versions of the TK recognizable from the older ones? I'm thinking of buying one but the Enter key problem is a deal-breaker.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:33:08 »
Carter,

Were you able to make the newer versions of the TK recognizable from the older ones? I'm thinking of buying one but the Enter key problem is a deal-breaker.

I believe the new ones have plate colors that match switch type. But you still gotta open the box to tell.

Offline ShaPeLesS

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:06:48 »
Carter,

I believe the new ones have plate colors that match switch type. But you still gotta open the box to tell.

Damn... would be nice to get an official confirmation that that's the case though.

Offline mr2009

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:16:45 »
Carter,

im using brown switch QFTK with brown plate and the enter button on the right doesnt work when the numpad is disable..... bought it 2 month ago in MY...

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 15:03:53 »

Live chat rep rejected my request for extra spacebars. They said they would only replace it through warranty. Any other alternatives for obtaining spares?

Offline fobis

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 11:30:23 »
Can anyone confirm that the newer firmware rev of this board has yet been pushed to retail partners? Carter, can you perhaps shed some light on this?

Looking through Amazon and Newegg reviews (assuming reviews were posted at around time of purchase) shows a couple of cases of the older boards (i.e., boards with the enter key on the numpad not working unless numlock is on) still being shipped as of September 2013.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:51:20 »
I will double confirm, but at this point in time I would say its highly probable to get the new version from amazon and believe there is a delay in the reviews being posted.

I know NE had quite a large inventory on the TKs & not sure if they are old or new stock based upon some shuffles we have done recently on incoming/outgoing.

I will do my best to confirm this week, but would recommend ordering TKs from Amazon at this present time.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:54:55 »

Live chat rep rejected my request for extra spacebars. They said they would only replace it through warranty. Any other alternatives for obtaining spares?

Unfortunately, Our CS team obviously varies based upon who you get(Keep in mind they deal with pissed off people everyday). Tell them you spoke with me directly and you have light bleed on the spacebar and need a replacement. They should do it without question or worst case will confirm with me first.

Offline fobis

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 21:22:51 »
I will double confirm, but at this point in time I would say its highly probable to get the new version from amazon and believe there is a delay in the reviews being posted.

I know NE had quite a large inventory on the TKs & not sure if they are old or new stock based upon some shuffles we have done recently on incoming/outgoing.

I will do my best to confirm this week, but would recommend ordering TKs from Amazon at this present time.
Thanks for the reply, Carter! If you can confirm this week, that would be great.  ;D

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:23:44 »

Resurrecting a necro thread, I discovered to my disappointment that the TK that I bought a week ago (in Australia) has the numpad enter problem. Bloody hell CM! I assumed all the stock would be the new version now.

I love the board anyway really because it's my first and only mechanical keyboard so far, but that's a pretty bad bug. There are 7 keys that do nothing when the arrows are active!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 13:02:44 »

Resurrecting a necro thread, I discovered to my disappointment that the TK that I bought a week ago (in Australia) has the numpad enter problem. Bloody hell CM! I assumed all the stock would be the new version now.

I love the board anyway really because it's my first and only mechanical keyboard so far, but that's a pretty bad bug. There are 7 keys that do nothing when the arrows are active!

Not that surprising - we seem to have a lot of old stock here.  My QFR is branded - bought back when everyone in US was raving about the new unbranded cases.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline serrin

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 21:44:41 »
Amazon seems to be sold out of the TK MX Reds, Carter, do you know of any other retailers that have stock the new firmware boards? Ideally one that is in Australia or ships here?
A lot of the shops in Australia seem to be no longer stocking the MX Reds and mostly just have MX Browns, is this model getting phased out, or can't you make them fast enough :P?
Thanks!