Author Topic: Quickfire Rapid vs Stealth  (Read 10457 times)

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
Quickfire Rapid vs Stealth
« on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:10:18 »
Howdy, first post.

Looking to get my first mechanical keyboard. While I'm waiting on my switch sampler to come in (curse you CM for announcing your sampler deal), I'm wondering if there's a difference between the Stealth and the Rapid besides the keycaps. Is everything else the same?

Side question, has anyone tried modding the location of the USB port? I like the way 60% boards look with the connector on the top edge.

Side question #2, what can I use to apply a rubber coating to the feet of the Rapid/Stealth?

Thanks!
QuickFire Stealth (MX Red)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Quickfire Rapid vs Stealth
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:21:28 »
I recall seeing a post from the CM vendor explaining the differences between the two models, but I do not recall what the differences might be. I have a CM QFS with Cherry mx greens, and it seems like a very solid board. The only issues I have with it are that I do not particularly like the font on the side-printed keycaps, the braided USB cable is too stiff, and the recessed area on the case for the mini-USB connection is too small for easy connection and disconnection of the cable. You might be able to find more about the differences between the two models on the CM site.

I am not sure about modding the position of the mini-USB connector, but in principle, it ought to be possible.

Regarding rubberizing the feet, I have used two methods. One is to use self-adhesive rubber strips, which you can get at the hardware store. Another is to cut some rubber or silicone-rubber tubing into small pieces just a bit narrower than the feet, make a longitudinal slit in the tubing, and slide the slitted tubing onto the feet. Find some tubing at the hardware store that is thick enough (small enough inside diameter) to fit snugly onto the feet. I prefer the tubing method, and I have used this on two of my keyboards; it works well.

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:04:57 »
While I'm waiting on my switch sampler to come in (curse you CM for announcing your sampler deal)

I haven't seen this, what are the details there?

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 22:26:11 »
While I'm waiting on my switch sampler to come in (curse you CM for announcing your sampler deal)

Here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1ljjzd/news_cm_storm_cherry_mx_sampler_6_switches_15_15/

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 22:53:54 »

Here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1ljjzd/news_cm_storm_cherry_mx_sampler_6_switches_15_15/

Cool, doesn't look like it's on their site yet, though.

Offline pagosElite

• This website clings to you.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 02:01:50 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47924.0

If you read this thread you'll find related information.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:48:29 »
Stealth has the addition of 12KRO & adjustable repeat rate.

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:51:02 »
Stealth has the addition of 12KRO & adjustable repeat rate.

Thanks Carter! Ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait! :)

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:57:00 »
Sorry for the delayed response! We have been at PAX and I have been constantly traveling this year.

Enjoy the board!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 20:06:30 »
Howdy, first post.

Looking to get my first mechanical keyboard. While I'm waiting on my switch sampler to come in (curse you CM for announcing your sampler deal), I'm wondering if there's a difference between the Stealth and the Rapid besides the keycaps. Is everything else the same?

Side question, has anyone tried modding the location of the USB port? I like the way 60% boards look with the connector on the top edge.

Side question #2, what can I use to apply a rubber coating to the feet of the Rapid/Stealth?

Thanks!

Where did you order your switch sampler at? I can't find a place to buy it.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 20:09:51 »
Howdy, first post.

Thanks!

It will be available on the CM Store in ~ 1 month or so. It will be $15 but come with a $15 store credit making it essentially free

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 20:11:55 »

I got mine from WASD Keyboards, but there are a couple of other sites as well.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=75&product_id=180

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

If you're looking to get a CM keyboard, wait for theirs to come out, as it will be a much better deal.

Carter, if you're still reading, how many switches will be in the set? Also, will it be mounted to anything like QWERkeys or Max is doing?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 20:14:17 »
Carter, if you're still reading, how many switches will be in the set? Also, will it be mounted to anything like QWERkeys or Max is doing?

From missalaire's photo album from Pax, there's a photo of the CM Switch tester

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 20:16:10 »
Aw man.. that's so cool.. :(

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 21:18:38 »
Howdy, first post.

Thanks!

It will be available on the CM Store in ~ 1 month or so. It will be $15 but come with a $15 store credit making it essentially free

Oh when you said "While I'm waiting on my switch sampler to come in" I thought you meant that you had already ordered it and where waiting for it to come in.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More