Author Topic: 10 CODEs back in stock  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
10 CODEs back in stock
« on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 18:45:32 »
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

On wasd's facebook they said they have 10 that people canceled orders from.

Too bad I'm out of cash and can't afford this

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: 10 CODEs back in stock
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 18:46:25 »
Should buy one as an investment and flip it.

Offline viet

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 19:01:32 »
Thank you so much! I've wanted these so bad. Grabbed two. I love geekhack.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 19:11:33 »
The only reason why I'm not buying one for myself is because my wallet already hates me and stock clears are too stiff. Also MKC has clears in stock, perfect to mod for a custom board

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 19:25:24 »
Have you tried stock clears? I strongly disagree that they are too stiff.  I like light switches, and Clears are really far from stiff if you don't bottom them out.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline viet

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 02:37:40 »
I had no idea they had the tenkeyless in stock for a short while as well. If anyone wants to trade a tenkeyless CODE for the fullsize I just ordered let me know.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 02:44:37 »
What got a lot of people was that the TKL was the same price as the full size one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 07:27:07 »
What got a lot of people was that the TKL was the same price as the full size one.

This never made any sense to me

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 07:29:45 »
It does to me. It's called taking advantage of people's willingness to buy TKLs.

Look at the ridiculous prices people bid for IBM SSKs versus regular model Ms!

This never made any sense to me
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline laden3

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 07:32:16 »
Saves you the effort of cutting your keyboard, might as well pay more  :))
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 07:41:25 »
I'm fairly certain the price of the PCB isn't that much less, if at all. There is less money spent on switches, but only 17 at say around $0.40, which is less than $7. The cost of a TKL is almost the same as a fullsize, thus why not maintain the same price? Also, as berserkfan said, there is desire, so they'll sell anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 19:17:10 »
I'm fairly certain the price of the PCB isn't that much less, if at all. There is less money spent on switches, but only 17 at say around $0.40, which is less than $7. The cost of a TKL is almost the same as a fullsize, thus why not maintain the same price? Also, as berserkfan said, there is desire, so they'll sell anyway.

Less the LED costs, less plastic for the case, less cost for the box (not much less, I know).

Add them all together and most manufacturers charge $10 to $20 less for a TKL than the equivalent full size.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 11:20:41 »

Less the LED costs, less plastic for the case, less cost for the box (not much less, I know).

Add them all together and most manufacturers charge $10 to $20 less for a TKL than the equivalent full size.

But (playing devils advocate here) you can bank on current TKL popularity to keep the price the same and make less margin on the fullsize and more margin on TKL's. This keeps prices low, and the pricing structure simple. Like many other things I'd just a pricing / business decision. WASD just wants their balance point set differently. A company that wanted to make the same margin on both keyboards would have the fullsize be more expensive than the tkl. (for example, the tkl would be $144.99 and the fullsize $154.99)

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 11:26:53 »
Mechanical Keyboards still has quite a few dyesub PBT 9008's in stock.

I guarantee you if these were 9087's they would have none in stock.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:15:15 »
:( Why I saw this thread too late...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 16:06:37 »

But (playing devils advocate here) you can bank on current TKL popularity to keep the price the same and make less margin on the fullsize and more margin on TKL's. This keeps prices low, and the pricing structure simple. Like many other things I'd just a pricing / business decision. WASD just wants their balance point set differently. A company that wanted to make the same margin on both keyboards would have the fullsize be more expensive than the tkl. (for example, the tkl would be $144.99 and the fullsize $154.99)

Unless, unless, they made more fullsize than TKL.  Then price the two models the same so that the full size appears more attractive as you get more keyboard for your money.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:11:27 »

On Facebook he said they sold out in less than an hour.  Thanks to Pacifist I snagged one of them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:38:07 »

On Facebook he said they sold out in less than an hour.  Thanks to Pacifist I snagged one of them.

Congratulations! :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:40:37 »

Don't be too happy for me.  My intention is to try it out and then attempt to trade up to a HHKB.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:53:48 »
Don't be too happy for me.  My intention is to try it out and then attempt to trade up to a HHKB.

Hmm that's a smart idea. Hopefully you can join the HHKB club soon!  :p
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:33:09 »

No problem. Glad to help such an awesome guy like you

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:44:53 »

Trade ... UP.  I like that :))