Author Topic: Fell in love with a 40%, now need advice on a second build!  (Read 1855 times)

Offline alas26

Fell in love with a 40%, now need advice on a second build!
« on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 01:47:39 »
Hello All,

So my keyboard adventure started with an HHKB pro2 which was the gateway into this crazy world. I absolutely fell in love with the feel, sound and haptics of mechanical boards!

When the pandemic hit, I had my eye on some ortholinear 40% boards and thought it was a good opportunity to learn that format as we were all being forced to work from home. I ended up with an Ergodox planck EZ with mx-clears and MT3 caps.

Needless to say, after about a week- I was hooked and in love!
Now that we are going back to the office I’m traveling with the board daily and I’m thinking it’s time for a second 40-ortholinear. 

I know that another Ergodox EZ would be an easy solution- but I’m thinking of getting an olkb planck and trying out some new switches instead. Thinking - Glorious Panda switches with different color MT3’s.

Now- my question- I already have key mappings from my Ergodox EZ that I love. Will I be able to flash an olkb planck with the same software from ZSA? Or will I need to write it with QMK? If the latter, am I able to easily convert my current mappings to QMK?

Thanks for your help!
-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 August 2021, 14:30:02 by alas26 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Fell in love with a 40%, now need advice on a second build!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 05:37:43 »
"The software from ZSA" being Oryx?  If so the keymap is in keymap.c in the zip when you download the firmware, looks to be QMK so you should be able to copy/paste the layer and keymap sections and fix the layout names to match those used on the standard Planck :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline alas26

Re: Fell in love with a 40%, now need advice on a second build!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 10:32:32 »
"The software from ZSA" being Oryx?  If so the keymap is in keymap.c in the zip when you download the firmware, looks to be QMK so you should be able to copy/paste the layer and keymap sections and fix the layout names to match those used on the standard Planck :)
Yes exactly! Thank you!

My next issue is that the Glorious Panda switches are only sold in packs of 36 … anyone sell individuals or 10 packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk