Author Topic: Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster.  (Read 2029 times)

Offline logomancer

Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster.
« on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 13:28:40 »
Well, OK, second. There was the Newegg thread. But anyway.

I've been lurking on the forums since before the Hack, and realized that this place is pretty awesome.

I've had one mechanical keyboard or another at my desk for more than a decade now. My first was a Model M made by Lexmark I found on eBay, where the shipping was more than the cost of the keyboard; that one is the one I'm typing on right now. I have another Model M, a real IBM one, that I found in a yard sale and used for a long while until the controller board got fried in a lightning storm; it's still around, in the vague hope that I can repair it someday.

I've joked that a keyboard's not a real keyboard unless you can beat someone to death with it. I'm in love with mechanical keyboards, and am rather annoyed when I have to type on a cheapo mushy keyboard.

I've been thinking of buying a new Unicomp keyboard for a while now; BS has been all I know of mechanicals, and my current daily driver seems to have developed a short in the cable. I've been putting it off, though, in the hopes that Unicomp builds up their customization options to where I can order something besides ugly grey keycaps on a black chassis. So in the interim I bought a Rosewill RK-9000 with Cherry MX Blue switches. Hopefully the USB controller holds up.

Anyway, nice to meet you all officially.
Unicomp Ultra Classic USB | Lexmark Model M 52G9658 | IBM Model M 1391401 (broken) | Rosewill RK-9000 | CMStorm QF Rapid (Blue)

Offline swagpiratex

Re: Hello there. Long time lurker, first time poster.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 13:44:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack! You're gonna be spendin a lot of money here, haha.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 19:54:47 »
Welcome GeekHacker!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 22:29:01 »
Welcome aboard!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline hakujin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 11:15:12 »
Hi there, welcome to Geekhack.

Offline cafezuni

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 01:22:46 »
Many years ago, I bought an IBM Model M--Airlines model (1393464) which I still use to this day.  One day I decided to clean it, and as a result, it started acting quirky.  Good thing was it was just temporary, and after it dried out it was fine.  But that led me to Unicomp, about 1999 or so.  I got one there, but deal is, it just seems to me that their boards are not the same as the original ones.  Not quite the same feel, and a little louder with a different click/clack feel.  I only got it as a backup, but have really never used it. It just doesn't feel the same as my Model M, or the one I just got, a SSK off Ebay, which I paid alot for but will never sell, so who cares.  LOL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 03:33:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are lucky having had mech keyboards for a decade - many are just starting out on their mechanical journeys.

I live in Australia, and it is still the case quite often that postage (from US or elsewhere overseas) is more than the cost of the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ