Author Topic: Model M spacebar question  (Read 2055 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Model M spacebar question
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 08:10:59 »
I have transplanted a picture from Matt30 to illustrate a question. (please forgive me, your project is beautiful by the way!)

Recently I bought a non-working Greenock M, and the spacebar had this same connector, which I had never seen before.

Is it a ground of some sort? Is is necessary, and/or can it be removed and discarded?

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Model M spacebar question
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 08:56:18 »
It can be removed :)

And yes, as far as I know it was for some ground/electrostatic stuff or whatever.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:41:15 »
If I remember correctly it's only there to comply with EU electronics regulations, and it doesn't actually perform any useful grounding function. Not sure why you'd need a ground on a plastic keyboard anyway...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:31:52 »
it looks a bit like that's suppose to tie the spacebar stabilizer and backplate together. !?!?! but in general the ground specs of the M series are high to the point of ridiculousness (imo, anyway, dorkvader has disagreed with me in the past).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:57:44 »
lol awesome. retro stuff huh?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:03:27 »
Sigh, Greenock, why you do these things?

TL;DR version is this: don't remove it unless the controller's being weird. If you do remove it, the controller may go weird. Or it may NOT go weird. Why? Because it's a Greenock board. The ground strap there is not strictly to comply with EU regulations - it's sometimes functional, sometimes not. Depends who put the keyboard together and whether they were paying attention or not when assembling the controller. Oh, and there's at least three different ways I've seen it. (And now you begin to understand why I hate Greenock boards so damn much.)

If you wanna PM me, I can help debug. May need to be re-anchored properly.

EDIT: Oh, and I honestly don't think any experts in M's agree on whether or not the grounding setup is inadequate, adequate, or overkill. You should see the setup on M5's and M13's. *sigh*
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:05:46 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 08:51:33 »
Not sure why you'd need a ground on a plastic keyboard anyway...

Me neither but...

I could "reliably" reboot a friend's computer by touching his keyboard when I had a specific pair of shoes on. I take it I was slowly charging up with static due to the rubber-isolated shoes and then by touching his keyboard it would cause some SNAFU.

I don't remember which keyboard that was, I have no idea why the computer would reboot and certainly can't say if the greenock M's system would have helped or not but I guarantee you I'm not making this up  :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)