Author Topic: Matias Ergo Pro debuts at CES  (Read 1541718 times)

Offline showman

Re: Matias Ergo Pro debuts at CES
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 11:55:16 »
No problem! Thank you for the excellent keyboard! It feels great to finally be able to use a legitimately high quality keyboard at whatever angle I like. If anyone would like to see more photos at a lower angle, let me know! And if the photos happen to be of use to you should anyone else request information on using the ergo pro with desktop tripods, please feel free to make use of them! Having everything properly locked in now, this is actually a much sturdier solution than what I was previously using. The keyboard is locked into place and never wobbles or shakes at all when typing, even at the top angle, which was not the case with my Kinesis plus Ascent. Thanks for your help! (Also, here is the link for the Manfrotto table-tops for $30 on Amazon, btw: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-709B-Table-Tripod-Black/dp/B0000YD2JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452621195&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+709)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #501 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 15:42:50 »
Oops. I figured out that one has to rotate the keyboard axis to type on it in vertical configuration, so perhaps that it is what the user above was so confused about from the initial pictures.
Right. :-)

Looks like a great setup. How well do those tripods stay fixed on the table while you’re typing? Any scooting over time? (“never wobbles or shakes” sounds pretty good!)
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 15:55:53 by jacobolus »

Offline chx

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:26:38 »
OH MY GOD A LIGHTERWEIGHT KINESIS ASCENT REPLACEMENT! I am the guy who runs around the world to various Drupal conferences since 2009 with a Kinesis Freestyle + Ascent. And I am really sick of the weight of it (and the constant worry of what the heavyweight and kinda sharp steel will do to everything else in the luggage -- this is mitigated by using an adequately small messenger bag for the whole thing but that's a waste of space and adds even more weight). I will try this setup. I will keep you all posted. THANKS!

Also, Manfrotto is high quality. Their (OK, Kata, but Kata is now Manfrotto) backpack is https://medium.com/@chx/kata-bug-205-pl-as-a-monitor-backpack-9bca09db464d my choice of carry on backpack.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:48:30 by chx »

Offline showman

« Reply #503 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:14:57 »
Here's a video of the Ergo Pro+Manfrotto 709 desktop tripods in use, per request.

(Note: I just watched this and wanted to note that the shaking in the video is just my phone shaking, since I lacked a tripod for the phone and it's just being held up by resting on my computer! Maybe I could use another tripod...)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:43:27 by showman »

Offline showman

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:18:10 »
Oops. I figured out that one has to rotate the keyboard axis to type on it in vertical configuration, so perhaps that it is what the user above was so confused about from the initial pictures.
Right. :-)

Looks like a great setup. How well do those tripods stay fixed on the table while you’re typing? Any scooting over time? (“never wobbles or shakes” sounds pretty good!)

Haha. You definitely caught the problem before I did! I was perhaps a little too eager to post my tripod setup, neglecting the sage advice that one should check that something first works before showing it to others.

The keyboard itself doesn't move whatsoever once properly screwed into the pods, which is to be expected as they are much lighter than even the small cameras this table-top is built for. There is a 90 degree notch for the ballhead that makes it easy to find where the 90 degree angle is, but it took a bit of trial and error to initially set up to get your desired angle and the right accompanying angle for the tripod legs that will be stable and still fit beneath the keyboard when fully vertical. I probably have mine at closer to 80 than 90 because it's a bit difficult to position the legs underneath the keyboard to let it go perfectly vertical, though it could easily be done if one was inclined to remove the wrist rest and could maybe be fully vertical with the wrist rests attached, but it's not clear that the small difference in angle makes much a difference, as slightly below a full right angle still preserves the hand position that eases my wrist pain, and makes typing slightly easier because one can see the keys a bit if required (I don't usually need this once I get going with typing, but often for just entering short bits of text like passwords or logins it's useful to be able to see). The tripod legs did take a little tinkering to get into the right position, and there was some slipping initially, but once the legs were set properly at a wide, even spread, they seem very stable, particularly so considering my keyboard tray is set at a negative tilt. I posted a video if you'd like to see!

Offline showman

« Reply #505 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:39:35 »
OH MY GOD A LIGHTERWEIGHT KINESIS ASCENT REPLACEMENT! I am the guy who runs around the world to various Drupal conferences since 2009 with a Kinesis Freestyle + Ascent. And I am really sick of the weight of it (and the constant worry of what the heavyweight and kinda sharp steel will do to everything else in the luggage -- this is mitigated by using an adequately small messenger bag for the whole thing but that's a waste of space and adds even more weight). I will try this setup. I will keep you all posted. THANKS!

Also, Manfrotto is high quality. Their (OK, Kata, but Kata is now Manfrotto) backpack is https://medium.com/@chx/kata-bug-205-pl-as-a-monitor-backpack-9bca09db464d my choice of carry on backpack.

Nice backpack! I definitely recommend this setup if you've been using that kit. This is definitely a significant upgrade in every way from the Kinesis Ascent + Freestyle, which was keyboard of choice and personal savior for quite awhile, despite its heaviness, huge footprint, and decent but non-mechanical keys, and somewhat ugly blue-gray colored board. I even think the Ergo Pro+Manfrotto is more stable to type on, which was surprising, considering the ascent kit is made of heavy weight steel. Maybe the only advantage of the Kinesis + Ascent is that it's very easy on that board to set a precise angle and precise distance, and adjust very quickly, but the Manfrotto's are not particularly hard to adjust, it's only that the only guide mark you'll have is the 90 degree notch on the ball head, rather than a notch for each 10 degree increment of angle on the Kinesis, which also allows you to set a particular distance and lock it in, which you can't do here. The Ascent might also be easier to use on a really unstable surface like a bed, where tripods would presumably be difficult. (I may now repurpose my Ascent kit for this use.) But these are rather small advantages compared with the superiority of typing experience with the Ergo Pro. I was willing to give up a mechanical keyboard to get enhanced adjustability because there were no other options until now allowing this degree of angle adjustability for mechanical keyboards (at least that I knew of.)  This would be a very easy board to travel with. I took it on the subway the other night to show my sister my new keyboard and would not have noticed it in my backpack at all. I think it was a very wise move by Matias to allow connections allowing 3rd party kits for tenting and tilting when there is already a significant market in good products of this kind, rather than lock people in to a very expensive and proprietery set-up like the Ascent. While there surely are some advantages to the Ascent kit, such as its flat surface, and the ease of setting any angle from 10-90 by a separate notch for each one, and locking in one's distance with thumb screws, I think these advantages are minor and the Ergo Pro + Tripods does everything the Ascent kit does, and adds wrist rests, top quality mechanical keys, nicer looking board, much smaller footprint, and much lighter. I think it's probably better for home use as well, but if you're using this for travel, no question that the Manfrotto plus Ergo Pro would be superior, since the whole thing is super light and the legs can just be folded up and the boards separated and placed on top of each other to take up very little space or weight in your bag.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #506 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 11:45:58 »
I've just done a similar setup with one of my Ergo Pros, using camera mounts.  I will start a new thread about it ...
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline showman

« Reply #507 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 12:08:05 »
Cool! Would love to see! Do you have floor tripods, or desk tripods like these? Would love to see some pictures of the Ergo Pro's with regular floor tripods if anyone has! Thanks!

Offline Gerk

« Reply #508 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 12:09:56 »
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline chx

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:03:11 »
does everything the Ascent kit does, and adds wrist rests, top quality mechanical keys, nicer looking board, much smaller footprint, and much lighter.

The Matias Ergo Pro landed, the tripods are coming tomorrow according to the tracker of Canada Post. But I am curious: why do you need a palmrest on a vertical keyboard? (At first I was surprised how hefty the keyboard is then I was very happy once it turned out most of the weight comes form the palmrest which I immediately removed.)

One more question: I am really dubious of any cabling using these spring-coil mechanisms. I have a number of broken such cables to show why. Would http://www.amazon.ca/YCS-Basics-foot-3-5mm-conductor/dp/B00FJEGXLW or http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3796 this work instead? But, the ability to remove the cabling completely is fantastic for travel.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:22:54 by chx »

Offline showman

« Reply #510 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:34:20 »
I thought the palmrests would be better removed, especially because they make positioning more difficult with my tripods. But I thought the keyboard was more comfortable with the palm rests because otherwise my palms tended to rest on the keyboard even in vertical position. Maybe I'll give it another shot without at some point, but I didn't like them without the palm rests in my brief trial, but perhaps I didn't give it enough a chance to adjust my hand positioning or whatever. It would be better if I could remove the palm rests because they really make it more difficult to set to a full 90 degree tilt since the place of the palm rest gets in the way of one of the tripod legs. The whole thing, I think, would likely work best for me with floor tripods since I have limited space on my keyboard tray, but as desktop tripods were considerably cheaper, I've started here. Let me know how it goes for you! If you do remove the palm rests, you will almost certainly have an easier time positioning the legs than I did.

does everything the Ascent kit does, and adds wrist rests, top quality mechanical keys, nicer looking board, much smaller footprint, and much lighter.

The Matias Ergo Pro landed, the tripods are coming tomorrow according to the tracker of Canada Post. But I am curious: why do you need a palmrest on a vertical keyboard? (At first I was surprised how hefty the keyboard is then I was very happy once it turned out most of the weight comes form the palmrest which I immediately removed.)

One more question: I am really dubious of any cabling using these spring-coil mechanisms. I have a number of broken such cables to show why. Would http://www.amazon.ca/YCS-Basics-foot-3-5mm-conductor/dp/B00FJEGXLW or http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3796 this work instead? But, the ability to remove the cabling completely is fantastic for travel.

Offline showman

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:38:03 »

I do not really love the cables myself, yet. But I have also not yet had any problems with them.  Nor have I heard of, or seen, any better options. I will check out the models you suggest here, and am curious if anyone else has experimented with aftermarket cables with much success?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #512 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 23:34:22 »
One more question: I am really dubious of any cabling using these spring-coil mechanisms. I have a number of broken such cables to show why. Would [...] this work instead? But, the ability to remove the cabling completely is fantastic for travel.

Any TRRS cable should work fine. Those you linked look okay, though personally I prefer ones with right-angle connectors. There are a bunch on ebay for $1.50–$2/each. (Note: not standard audio TRS though.)

Offline chx

« Reply #513 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:38:51 »
So the tripods are here and I am slightly disappointed to be honest: defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. The bottom screw hole where this would ideally go , the tripod is unable to connect to because of the very wide plate it has collides with the feet :( I have ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084MTJ0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 two of this to extend the screw. Until then you can only tent because if you put the tripod in the middle then the keyboard is taller than the tripod and you can't go vertical.

The n is the hardest to get used to on the Ergo Pro, otherwise it's fine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:05:02 by chx »

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #514 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:55:43 »
I can confirm that any TRRS cable works, but note that it's hard to find one short enough to look tidy. If the cable is too long the right angle connectors are worse than the standard ones. The two cables pictured are both from eBay and were the shortest I could find. The right angle one is only 1 foot long, but still petty sloppy looking. I've given up on getting anything decent off the shelf and have ordered a custom cable from Mimic.
125234-0

Offline showman

« Reply #515 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:54:09 »
So the tripods are here and I am slightly disappointed to be honest: defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. The bottom screw hole where this would ideally go , the tripod is unable to connect to because of the very wide plate it has collides with the feet :( I have ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084MTJ0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 two of this to extend the screw. Until then you can only tent because if you put the tripod in the middle then the keyboard is taller than the tripod and you can't go vertical.

The n is the hardest to get used to on the Ergo Pro, otherwise it's fine.

Hi chx. I didn't think to try the bottom hole for the tripod myself because I prefer having the wrist rests attached, after some limited testing.  I did try using the keyboard for a minute or two without them and it just seemed to be a better experience with the rests keeping my arms straight while using the keyboard and keeping me from resting my palms on the keyboard. If there is some reason you suggest removing them, let me know, as perhaps I'm overlooking something here.

Having the rests attached does make the tripod positioning slightly more complicated, since the rests are where you might want to position one of the legs. Nevertheless, while it took me a day or two to figure out the proper tripod leg positioning, I didn't have the same experience as you that you cannot go vertical with the ergo pro and the tripods. I don't see what you mean by the keyboard being taller than the tripod from the middle position, since it doesn't appear this way to me. What tripods did you get?

I'll upload some closer pictures of mine in a vertical position.

but

Offline showman

« Reply #516 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:00:38 »
Here are some pics of the Ergo Pro in a Vertical Position with pods attached from the middle slot, with the rests attached.

What exactly does the screw you linked to do? Sorry, I'm just not quite understanding what you're doing here and I'm curious if there are potential improvements I'm not aware of!

Offline showman

« Reply #517 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:12:36 »
These might be better pictures to see what's going on .125381-0125383-1125385-2125387-3
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:16:15 by showman »

Offline showman

« Reply #518 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:25:23 »
Hi, Ryan.

What's the bottom cable? I kind of like the looks of that one myself. Can anyone tell me whether I am looking for a cable that specifically says TRRS, or do you just mean a cable with a 3.5 male to male connection?

Would also love to see your custom cable when it comes in! I found Mimic's store, but I'm curious as to what did you order, as I wasn't quite sure what to look for there. This is the first I'm learning of this new entity, "custom cables", and I must say I am intrigued.

I was thinking of ordering one of these: http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Coiled-/dp/B00RXNUEJ4/ref=sr_1_42?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453502467&sr=1-42&keywords=3.5mm+Male+to+3.5mm+Male+Stereo+Audio+Cable+Coiled

This looked ok to me, too, though I don't know much, if anything, about cables. http://www.amazon.com/Lemeng-Extension-Coiled-Spiral-3-25Feet/dp/B019F9U7NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453502753&sr=1-1&keywords=trrs+coiled

I can confirm that any TRRS cable works, but note that it's hard to find one short enough to look tidy. If the cable is too long the right angle connectors are worse than the standard ones. The two cables pictured are both from eBay and were the shortest I could find. The right angle one is only 1 foot long, but still petty sloppy looking. I've given up on getting anything decent off the shelf and have ordered a custom cable from Mimic.
(Attachment Link)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:50:40 by showman »

Offline chx

« Reply #519 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:12:48 »
I have it https://goo.gl/photos/6HJR1QS6oa684yUY9 like this. As you can see the back corner already rests on the desk and if I were to make it 90 vertical then the edge of the keyboard would touch the desk and then some to the extent of lifting off the tripod! It's too low. If I don't open it fully to make the head rise higher it's not stable enough. What I want to do is to move the tripod to the lower screwhole to avoid this. But there's a foot right next to that screwhole... (btw what can I do to make the verification go away? It's really annoying to solve a captcha on every edit)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:14:59 by chx »

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #520 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 18:51:05 »
What's the bottom cable? I kind of like the looks of that one myself.
Here are links to the cables I pictured. I didn't link them initially because eBay links are transient, but they work for now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321490597345?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Male-AUX-Stereo-Audio-Cable-TRRS-4-pole-AV-/172062430098?
Can anyone tell me whether I am looking for a cable that specifically says TRRS, or do you just mean a cable with a 3.5 male to male connection?
It needs to have four conductors. Sometimes TRRS won't be in the title (sometimes you'll also see 4-pole in titles), but a standard 3.5mm stereo (also called TRS) will not work. TRRS stands for Tip Ring Ring Sleeve, those are the four conductors.
Would also love to see your custom cable when it comes in! I found Mimic's store, but I'm curious as to what did you order, as I wasn't quite sure what to look for there. This is the first I'm learning of this new entity, "custom cables", and I must say I am intrigued.
It shipped this morning, I'll try to remember to post a pic here once it arrives. It's about time I posted a pic of all the other customizations on my Ergo Pro anyway. I made a custom order that isn't really on the site. I ordered a USB cable (lower quality cable than what they normally use for audio, and thus about $10 cheaper) with TRRS ends on it.
I was thinking of ordering one of these: http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Coiled-/dp/B00RXNUEJ4/ref=sr_1_42?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453502467&sr=1-42&keywords=3.5mm+Male+to+3.5mm+Male+Stereo+Audio+Cable+Coiled
Will not work, it's TRS.

This looked ok to me, too, though I don't know much, if anything, about cables. http://www.amazon.com/Lemeng-Extension-Coiled-Spiral-3-25Feet/dp/B019F9U7NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453502753&sr=1-1&keywords=trrs+coiled
This is TRRS and will work. Note the three stripes on the connectors.

Offline chx

« Reply #521 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 23:05:44 »
https://goo.gl/photos/PGYMVCfkY7wsErcLA see this? I replaced the plate with a nut and now the keyboard is flying nice and high and vertical :) I couldn't tear apart the other one but I will get a bigger wrench :)

If you do not add a nut the screw is way too long and presses against the PCB which I didn't dare to risk.

Until I get the other one fixed, I have a huge Gorillapod here, I think it's the DSLR size and for now it is serving left keyboard duty.

Complete temporary https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpk230mt8yPBjflYGzPomPUPhK9eWg0eKLZg0 setup. You can see how the Gorillapod attaches to the middle and how much higher it is than the Manfrotto while the Manfrotto tripod attaches to the bottom -- this will be much nicer once the other Manfrotto is converted. You can see the bolt already on the desk as a teaser trailer :) You can also the vertical mouse I use which fits this setup nicely. (The teddy bear is a Merrythought Baby Golden Grizzly cub.)

The bolt was 12 (canadian) cents each at Home Depot. It needs to be a 1/4-20 hex bolt. I paid more for the bus ticket to get there :)

I am fully vertical with a mechnical keyboard! :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2016, 01:37:22 by chx »

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #522 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 11:22:10 »
These might be better pictures to see what's going on . (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

In China right now, but REALLY enjoying seeing these photos (though the Google ones are blocked here).

Mind blown...  :-)

Edgar

Offline showman

« Reply #523 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:13:00 »
https://goo.gl/photos/PGYMVCfkY7wsErcLA see this? I replaced the plate with a nut and now the keyboard is flying nice and high and vertical :) I couldn't tear apart the other one but I will get a bigger wrench :)

If you do not add a nut the screw is way too long and presses against the PCB which I didn't dare to risk.

Until I get the other one fixed, I have a huge Gorillapod here, I think it's the DSLR size and for now it is serving left keyboard duty.

Complete temporary https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpk230mt8yPBjflYGzPomPUPhK9eWg0eKLZg0 setup. You can see how the Gorillapod attaches to the middle and how much higher it is than the Manfrotto while the Manfrotto tripod attaches to the bottom -- this will be much nicer once the other Manfrotto is converted. You can see the bolt already on the desk as a teaser trailer :) You can also the vertical mouse I use which fits this setup nicely. (The teddy bear is a Merrythought Baby Golden Grizzly cub.)

The bolt was 12 (canadian) cents each at Home Depot. It needs to be a 1/4-20 hex bolt. I paid more for the bus ticket to get there :)

I am fully vertical with a mechnical keyboard! :D

Congratulations! Let me mention, however, that your second Google picture doesn't work and I am very curious to see your gorillapod and vertical mouse!

So, in the first picture, what you've done is replace the standard manfrotto attachment with a 1) 15mm quick release mount, and 2) 1/4-20 hex bolt? And then you've also removed the wrist rest and the plate beneath it from the ergo pro? I'm curious, though I may keep it as is, as I still kind of like having the wrist rest and it seems stable in the middle position for me.

Offline showman

« Reply #524 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:14:46 »
These might be better pictures to see what's going on . (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

In China right now, but REALLY enjoying seeing these photos (though the Google ones are blocked here).

Mind blown...  :-)

Edgar

Thanks, Edgar! I like having a mechanical keyboard on tripods so much that I may even spring for some floor pods and a second Ergo Pro! Enjoy your trip!
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:16:33 by showman »

Offline chx

« Reply #525 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:43:06 »
Congratulations! Let me mention, however, that your second Google picture doesn't work and I am very curious to see your gorillapod and vertical mouse!

So, in the first picture, what you've done is replace the standard manfrotto attachment with a 1) 15mm quick release mount, and 2) 1/4-20 hex bolt? And then you've also removed the wrist rest and the plate beneath it from the ergo pro? I'm curious, though I may keep it as is, as I still kind of like having the wrist rest and it seems stable in the middle position for me.

Does imgur work better? I put in a red arrow where the problem is.

Yes I removed the palm rests. The Manfrotto sits in the screw hole opposite the arrow keys. There is a foot right next to that screw hole. The plate is too wide.  So the only thing I did was replacing the plate with a bolt, I scrapped the other idea. I wish I were handy with a CAD program to draw :/ but the problem is the plate is wide. Does this help? now imagine removing the plate and there you have it.

Note the Gorillapod is NOT as sturdy as the Manfrotto -- who would've thought -- so it's only temporary, I will have a bigger wrench on Monday to fix the problem. Basically, on tripod1 i just grabbed the plate with a small pliers one half of the plier holding to the soft top and was able to move it off but on tripod2 I need something opening more than 1.5" to grab the serrated perimeter. A table vise would be best, if I can't solve it with the tools my buddy will bring on Monday I will go to the Vancouver Hackspace open house on Tuesday and see to it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:58:15 by chx »

Offline Cottser

« Reply #526 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 20:14:24 »
@showman are the tripods fully open in your setup? Or in other words if you pushed down from the top would the tripods open up further? Spoke to @chx and it sounds like that might be the key difference in the set ups. I'm considering a similar setup and trying to understand. Thanks :thumb:

Offline showman

« Reply #527 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 22:04:17 »
I see what you mean. No, they're not fully open in the vertical position though they stay put for me, and I type pretty fast. If I pushed down on them from the top like you say the angle moves from about 90 degrees to 60 or 70 degrees.

I might try the nut or screw which Chx suggests to see if I can get them open in the 90 degree position, although they have been stable for me like this. Always on the lookout for improvements!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #528 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 22:27:36 »
The other thing you could do is prop something under the inside leg (like a book, piece of wood, ...).

Offline chx

« Reply #529 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 01:15:33 »
Another thing ppl might want to consider using is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8A56PQ/ this clamp tripod which would allow you to clamp the keyboard to the desk.

Edit: nevermind, I see the other thread, someone already did :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2016, 01:17:17 by chx »

Offline showman

« Reply #530 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:39:36 »
Another thing ppl might want to consider using is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8A56PQ/ this clamp tripod which would allow you to clamp the keyboard to the desk.

Edit: nevermind, I see the other thread, someone already did :)

Thanks! I might try this one... http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Samsung-Fujifilm-Panasonic-Olympus/dp/B00EKQC88C/ref=pd_sim_421_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31jGtD5c%2BBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1MS3Q3N5CHVW7398Q973

Offline showman

« Reply #531 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:52:39 »
The other thing you could do is prop something under the inside leg (like a book, piece of wood, ...).

Tried this with keyboard risers and it worked. Thanks!