Author Topic: Waking up from 20 years of rubber-dome dark ages  (Read 2959 times)

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
Waking up from 20 years of rubber-dome dark ages
« on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 12:08:03 »
Like some other users on this forum, my first keyboard was a mechanical—for me it was the AEK II. I later sold it and then there was a 20-year stint of rubber-dome dark ages wherein I kept asking myself, "Why do I hate hate this ****ing keyboard so much?", not knowing the answer. Then I started reading up on mechanical keyboards and realized what had happened: keyboards became cheap and more or less disposable.

Now I've found this community. You guys are awesome! Also, I can't stop buying new mechanicals so to justify my "collection" I started a kb review website called maccklack.com. I literally have dozens of mechanicals so I'll be writing reviews for years. It's slanted towards Mac users (please don't judge), since there isn't a lot of mech keyboard reviews for those of use the Mac.

So there's my story. Great to meet everyone!

Offline raxander

Re: Waking up from 20 years of rubber-dome dark ages
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:19:23 »
I just read your reviews of the AEKII and Clueboard on your site, they're really good!  Great photos too -- did you take them? 

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 13:11:53 »
Thanks! Yes, I took most of them other than some of the random photos I got from Deskthority.  I'm not a photographer so I'm slowly learning how to take better photos. If you notice, the newer the post, the better the quality of the photos. I even built a little white cyc out of paper to do the whole white seamless thing instead of my kitchen counter in the original posts LOL.

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 14:29:33 »
Would love to see the website. I can't access it.

Offline raxander

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:21:54 »
Here's a link if people are looking for it:  http://macclack.com

But maybe you are behind a firewall that's blocking it?

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 01:12:47 »
I see it. Thanks! And man is it good. Haven't given it the time it deserves but it's bookmarked!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 July 2017, 01:16:13 by antquinonez »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 08:00:41 »
Welcome! I enjoyed the Unicomp review quite a bit. Thought I would drop in and mention that the rectangle is there because the Spacesaver M, Ultra Classic, and Endura Pro are assembled with the same casing. The latter model features a TrackPoint and LMB/RMB below the spacebar. Basically a vestige of M13 production.

Deskthority Wiki - Unicomp Keyboards
Deskthority Wiki - IBM Trackpoint II Keyboard
Chris Schammert

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 14:35:34 »
Thanks!  :thumb: I'll have to update the post now that I know the answer. It's funny that Unicomp hasn't updated the case design. Just an example of some the quirkiness that makes Unicomp so endearing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 July 2017, 14:38:17 by jnav »

Offline raxander

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:47:27 »
What are you reviewing next? Taking any requests?  I love that all your reviews say "I've only spent 2 weeks typing on it..."  Most reviewers spent 9 minutes typing on it and know zero about mechanicals :)  Love that you include some history too, very cool.

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 00:21:05 »
What are you reviewing next? Taking any requests?  I love that all your reviews say "I've only spent 2 weeks typing on it..."  Most reviewers spent 9 minutes typing on it and know zero about mechanicals :)  Love that you include some history too, very cool.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! IMO 2 weeks is about the right length to give a board some thought. I've been thinking about a Topre board review, since I haven't done one yet. Right now my options are:

1. HHKB Pro 2 Type S
2. Topre Realforce 104-UG High Pro
3. Leopold FC980C

I plan on reviewing every board I own, but I'm starting with ones that I haven't seen a lot of reviews for--there's a ton out there on the HHKB so I'm not sure I'd be adding a whole lot. Ultimately I'm hoping the reviews on macclack.com will help someone buy the right kb the first time (especially us Mac guys). For me getting started was super frustrating because I didn't know what I was doing. Ended up wasting money and bought some pretty lousy boards. Definitely happy to take requests tho.  Will make it easier to decide.   :)

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 00:53:19 »
Welcome! I enjoyed the Unicomp review quite a bit. Thought I would drop in and mention that the rectangle is there because the Spacesaver M, Ultra Classic, and Endura Pro are assembled with the same casing. The latter model features a TrackPoint and LMB/RMB below the spacebar. Basically a vestige of M13 production.

Updated. Check it out!  :thumb:
http://macclack.com/unicomp-spacesaver-m-black-brilliant-white/

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 08:26:53 »

Updated. Check it out!  :thumb:
http://macclack.com/unicomp-spacesaver-m-black-brilliant-white/

Oh my :)
Chris Schammert