Author Topic: Are keyboards addictive?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Are keyboards addictive?
« on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:17:22 »
I started with my first mechanical keyboard about a year ago buying a Logitech G610 Brown, since I type more that I play games and after testing both (red and brown) at a friend’s place, I loved the tactile feel of the Cherry MX browns. A couple of months after this I was really  sick of the cheap Dell keyboard, with rubber domes, I was given at work and I went and bought a cheap Chinese VicTsing i-500 with MX Blue switches due to the fact that I wanted more tactile/clicky goodness and a bit heavier switch. Those switches even though are copies of Cherry MX switches, is almost impossible to tell the difference from original Cherry switches and reviews seem to express the same opinion.

Well to cut a the long story short, then came a Logitech G610 with Cherry MX red, for gaming and finally I got my hands on a 1992 IBM Model M, which is by far the best thing I ever typed on! I use it every day at work and looking for an industrial (grey) IBM Model M for home now!

So are keyboards addictive? Do I need an intervention?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Are keyboards addictive?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:54:12 »
Yes.  They are.  Don’t keep it a secret what you spend.  Keep track of expenses and tell people about it so you’ll realize how crazy you are.  Many of us here buy/build/collect keyboards as a hobby.  Anything can get out of hand.  I’m trying hard to diversify my interests but I find my mind on keyboards too often still.  I’m working on it.

There is a good support thread on here about the addiction issue. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67980.msg1606819#msg1606819
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:56:20 by reececonrad »

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 19:40:58 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 07:58:59 by gak1234 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 20:28:29 »
nah
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:14:48 »
It depends on you.  I've discovered I'm a compulsive declutterer and consequently always keep my number of boards to a bare minimum.

I started with mechanical and then went back to rubber dome.

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:51:19 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 07:59:23 by gak1234 »

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:42:51 »
I'm trying to limit my new habit... the goal is one keyboard each of the major type of switch:
Alps/Matias - TBD, need to research more before shopping.
IBM Buckling Spring - TBD, Probably a Unicomp M13
Topre 55g - Done, RF 87U with KBDfans silencing.
Hall Effect - Done, XMIT104 round 1
Cherry MX - TBD, still trying to decide what board I want.  Switches will be Clear or heavier (i.e. tactile Grey).  I already have a Das Prime 13, and I might just mod it instead of buying another board.

Personally my goal is to get all the flavors of the IBM model M and one Model F, which I think I might have by the end of the week! So I currently use a model M at the office and one at home (the ones with the white with grey lettering IBM logo), both from 1992, both bolt moded. I now want an SSK model M, and a full board with the silver square logo and a full industrial board (dream keyboard)! So this can get expensive!

Aside from that I want at some point to build my own board with Cherry MX Green or MX Green clones.

Except from the two model Ms I also own a Chinese ten-keyless with Outemu MX Blue clones (love those switches), which I used to use in the office before I got my second model M, a Logitech G610 with Cherry MX red for when I game (not very often) and a Logitech G610 with Cherry MX brown switches, which was my very first mechanical keyboard and has become very scratchy and really nasty in the feel to use.

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 23:02:26 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 07:59:46 by gak1234 »

Offline beko1987

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 05:42:46 »
I'd say it has the potential to be! I'm only on the lookout for a nice keyboard to use, and fancy trying mechanical, but already I have far too many boards in my ebay watchlist, have been eyeing up keyboards that cost more than my car did and reading up on it all!

It has the potential to be a massive and expensive hobby! Luckily I already have a massive and expensive hobby so hopefully that will stop this one developing!