Author Topic: I heard you like keyboards  (Read 2113 times)

Offline ollir

I heard you like keyboards
« on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:17:31 »
Just joined, and thought I'd say hi.
Hi.

Here's my history with keyboards so far.

My first mechanical was an Acer kb102a. Didn't really know about mechanical keyboards back then, just knew it was bit different and louder. My friend had the same board. The best part is that we both have lost the keyboards. Yep, that's right, you can now call me an ass. Anyway, we called them "clicky keyboards" ("naksunäppis" in Finnish for those who might understand the language in here). Fitting name, I must say.

I've been toying with computers the majority of my life. And I've liked different keyboards most of that time. They all have some something different to offer to the next one in line. Even rubber domes. I discovered modern mechanical keyboards some years ago, and bought a Rosewill RK9000. What a fantastic feeling and sound that thing had! (still got the board but MX Browns are bit meh these days).

Then it occurred to me to find some older mechanical keyboards, because I kinda missed the Acer. I decided to start with a Model M. Didn't find one immediately, but instead during my search, I found a Monterey K108 with the Monterey switches. I love that thing. I last used it yesterday and it's on my desk now even though I'm typing on a different keyboard.

Then a Model M came along. Nordic ISO layout, gray logo, made in 1987, fully working and solid as ever. Snatched it from an auction site with "buy now" option when someone else showed up and started asking for photos of the sticker on the back. I had done my homework and saw from the picture it had to be what it looked like, especially when the seller said it was a clicky and loud keyboard. Received it some days later, and was actually chuckling because of its weight and feel when lifting it out of the box. Haven't stopped ever since.

Now, during all the lookout for older boards, I had been thinking about Topres. I mean, the way people talk about them gotta tell something, right? But they were so expensive I couldn't justify one. Then, I was googling a Realforce, and it just so happened that a Finnish online store sold Realforces for a 120eur price. Didn't have to think about it twice. Bought an all-white rf105UFW. It didn't become my favourite board for a while, but nowadays, if I had to choose only one of my boards to keep, it'd probably be the Realforce. I took it to work because I heard someone at the office banging away with MX browns or blacks or something and I thought the place could use some sophistication.

Two (well, three to be honest) more boards to go, bear with me. The first one was my first recycling center find. An NMB Hi-Tek RT101 board with white linear space invaders, for
2 euros. Before this I didn't really feel like linear switches had anything for me. And I was wrong. I like them really much, and the board itself very nice too.

I bought a Steelseries 6gv2 because I wanted a keyboard to play with. I had been playing with my Realforce before, but as it was going to work,
I just wanted something simple that works. I got it used for cheap so why not. It's nothing special, doesn't get mee excited, but it's good for what I got it for.

Then finally, I decided I need at least one more modern keyboard. I was interested in Matias switches and after putting some thought in it,
I decided to go real edgy and get a an actual TKL board, because I never had one. KBP V80 with the Matias quiet click switches was my choice and I have nothing bad to say about them.
Next thing I will get is probably a Matias clicky board unless I happen to come by a Alps board that's in fair condition. We'll see.

So there. Here I am with my keyboards.

Never make any mistaeks.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: I heard you like keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:32:07 »
Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you are doing pretty well.  Your path into this hobby sounds similar to mine -- banging away on a Unicomp for a couple of years here, before I realized there are many more options.

But. . .  You haven't built your own keyboard?  That's where the real fun is.

Offline ollir

Re: I heard you like keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 12:15:23 »
But. . .  You haven't built your own keyboard?  That's where the real fun is.

Nope, but I have to admit I have given it some thoughts. But I'm sure I'm not building anything anytime soon. But maybe some day.

Never make any mistaeks.