Author Topic: New to this... Started with a set of keycaps :O  (Read 1871 times)

Offline cometcyclonemk

New to this... Started with a set of keycaps :O
« on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 11:55:05 »
So, I realize I probably (definitely) went about this a bit backwards, but I've found myself with a set of Roddenberry Galaxy Class keycaps on order and nothing to put them on. I'll admit, I'm a bit of Trekkie...

In any case, you all are probably familiar (there's a thread on here somewhere). They're cherry-mx compatible, die sublimation printed, United Federation of Planets approved.

I've spent about a week lurking here and I'd love some help picking out a board! I know nothing I haven't read in the last week.

Use case:

Work. So it can't be super loud. I'm coming from a work provided Dell keyboard (and an HP Spectre x360 - which IMO is one of the better feeling notebook keyboards I've used) so practically anything is an improvement. Eventually, it may end at home / used for occasional gaming - but primary use will be typing. I mouse as much as I type, so I'm not particularly worried about fatigue.

Format/size:

I need arrow keys and a number pad for work. I really like the look of a tenkeyless board and separate number pad, if for no other reason than a spread out "control panel" just seeming like the thing to do.

Space isn't an issue, I have a big desk.

Desires:

I've used various keyboards from long ago, both long ago and recently at Seattle's awesome living computer museum. The heavy thunk of the keys feel great. If that can be had without making too much noise, oh man.

I actually really like the large / more classic look of boards like the Realforce 87u. If they were cherry mx compatible I'd probably have one on the way.

Backlighting... Yeah. If I could have a classic looking board with RGB backlighting for the occasional, "this is my sweet lit up Star Trek console" moment - that would be the best. It seems backlighting isn't exactly popular around here...

Things I've seen that I've liked:

1. Realforce 87U + 23U
2. Realforce RGB. Looks like a TKL is coming out soon? The caps won't be here until probably late December of January anyway.
3. Leopold FC750 (it appears there are a few companies that produce very similar looking boards, not sure which would be best)

Price:

I dropped $150 on a set of keycaps not owning a keyboard... I don't have a need to spend $$$ on a keyboard, but I'm not super concerned provided it doesn't get super crazy.

Effort:

I'm a systems/mechanical engineer, happy to take things apart, re-work etc as necessary. While I'd prefer to start with something I can buy - I could be convinced of modifying something, or potentially even something custom.

Thanks! It's been a blast checking out everyone's cool setups. I accidentally stumbled into something I really rather like.

- Mark

Offline beko1987

Re: New to this... Started with a set of keycaps :O
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 14:43:18 »
Hi!

Sounds like the opposite to myself, I have no prior experience of mechanical, but fancy a go! Kudos for buying keycaps first!

I can't offer much advice apart from your intended use sounds exactly like mine, heavy office use! Be interesting to know what you end up with and how it performs!