Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2389 times)

Offline stone12321

Hello!
« on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:40:00 »
Hello Im new here and new here. Can anyone direct me to where i can make a post about wanting to buy an IBM model F Keyboard? Or somewhere/someone that has them for sale.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 18:32:57 »
Welcome. Are you looking for the model F AT or XT?  The AT is rare and expensive, it also doesnt have the same feel as the XT. You can find both for sale here in the classifieds, on reddit/r/mechanicalkeyboards, and on eBay. For information on how to convert it to USB with programable key mappings you can follow along this thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
-Dana

Offline stone12321

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 22:28:53 »
Really not sure exactly what im looking for other than the fact that i want buckling spring and preferably a numpad.

Thanks for the help!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 01:53:46 »
If you just want a buckling spring board and have something usable, i'd just find a good clean Model-M thats PS2 and use an adapter.
-Dana

Offline stone12321

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:06:22 »
I have read the model Fs have a much better feel. Is this not the case?

I am willing to pay a premium if it really is better. I also like the idea of a 10 pound metal monster on my desk.

Offline jameshouston135

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 01:02:31 »
wellcome to the geekhack world.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 00:41:58 »
If you haven't tried buckling spring before, get the ubiquitous model m with the familiar 101 layout.  You can get one new from Unicomp or there's always many originals available on ebay in various states and prices.  Once you have a feel for the M, you'll be able to decide if you really need an M.

And if you do decide to move into an F and love it, you really need to consider the F-122 for the mother of all keyboards on your desk. :D