Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 223199 times)

Offline MattSG

Re: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 07:17:38 »
Order m265 here, just got a notification saying to was delivered, can't wait to get home from work and finally get my hands on this keeb

Offline rhonyrhony

« Reply #651 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:11:40 »
I received my board today with the only problem being that it came with an ISO set up instead of ANSI.. :(

Not sure how I should proceed.

Offline spyruf

« Reply #652 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:16:09 »
M270 arrived today (a day early). Really pleased with the quality of all the parts.

Will be building in the next couple days once the rest of my parts arrive.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #653 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:23:18 »
I received my board today with the only problem being that it came with an ISO set up instead of ANSI.. :(

Not sure how I should proceed.

contact vincent (not gmail)

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:28:13 »
How do you turn off the LEDs or are they always on???

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #655 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:14:15 »
No one else has this issue? Should be a keyboard shortcut right? i've tried all combos i can think of.

Offline lendflat

« Reply #656 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:34:16 »
I have the opposite problem, i cant turn my LEDs on.

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
[GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #657 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:36:53 »
No one else has this issue? Should be a keyboard shortcut right? i've tried all combos i can think of.

I believe fn+ q toggles the leds on the bottom. I don't know about the top ones.

Heresethe default map: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/melody96/keymaps/default/keymap.c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:42:21 »
Fn+V thanks!

Offline BearonicMan

« Reply #659 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:03:59 »
How long does it usually take Vincent to respond to an email? Wanted to see what I can expect. Thanks!

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #660 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:05:57 »
Put this guy together yesterday. I love it!

Offline BearonicMan

« Reply #661 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:23:52 »

Show Image

Nice! That looks great.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #662 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:16:41 »

Show Image

u flexin uh? 

Offline SifuSeafood

« Reply #663 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:19:03 »
So, I've used the KB just fine for a month until my RGB underglow lights started malfunctioning. I'm fairly certain it was something to do with using a USB HUB and the USB port had suspending functionality enabled.q Everything else works fine, it's just only 1 of the SMD RGB diodes is on and stuck on a single color (closest to the USB port).

Trying to adjust LED settings with FN+QERTYUI but it has no effect. Made sure the shortcut was configured as well. Switch Hitter will not register the presses.
And reflashing didn't help.

Not really sure what else to try!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #664 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 21:59:39 »

Show Image

u flexin uh?

Flexing is all I know.

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #665 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 03:04:41 »
Just plugged in my PCB and 12 out of 18 RGB LEDs light up. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I tested the PCB with tweezers and all the buttons registered and I also re-flashed the PCB and still only 12 RGB LEDs light up. Thanks!
199598-0

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 03:07:01 by YiZZo »

Offline superuser41

« Reply #666 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 09:39:07 »
Just plugged in my PCB and 12 out of 18 RGB LEDs light up. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? I tested the PCB with tweezers and all the buttons registered and I also re-flashed the PCB and still only 12 RGB LEDs light up. Thanks!
(Attachment Link)

Check and reflow the soldering on the last LED that lights and the first LED that doesn't. Also check to make sure the traces between them are undamaged.

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #667 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 10:45:26 »
(Attachment Link)

Check and reflow the soldering on the last LED that lights and the first LED that doesn't. Also check to make sure the traces between them are undamaged.

I really had to no idea where to start, so thanks for the tips. I will definitely reflow the solder on the LEDs as you mentioned. In terms of damaged traces what would I be looking for specifically? Like nicks in the PCB? Thanks again for the help. I will keep you updated.

Offline Astralou

« Reply #668 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:42:54 »
Hello ! Just received my board and everything works great, but the underglow doesnt seems to change and stay red, how can I change that please ? thanks

Offline superuser41

« Reply #669 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 14:01:41 »
Hello ! Just received my board and everything works great, but the underglow doesnt seems to change and stay red, how can I change that please ? thanks

See the default keymap (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/melody96/keymaps/default/keymap.c#L50 or the JSON that was provided earlier in the thread). The Fn+QERTYUIO keys control the underglow.

Offline Astralou

« Reply #670 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 03:45:45 »

See the default keymap (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/melody96/keymaps/default/keymap.c#L50 or the JSON that was provided earlier in the thread). The Fn+QERTYUIO keys control the underglow.

thanks you !

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #671 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 00:29:18 »
Guys just a thing, Vincent noticed that some of the people who had columns not working ended up using screw-in stabs. 

Remember that when you use screw-in stabs, you also have to use some non-conductive spacers under the screws, because these stabilizers can short some pads on some pcbs.  Any non-metallic material would do the job. 

Offline spyruf

« Reply #672 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:25:24 »
Anyway I could order an extra brass plate and maybe a PCB

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #673 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 23:46:03 »
Anyway I could order an extra brass plate and maybe a PCB

The Melody PCBs can also be purchased directly from their aliexpress page fyi. as for brass plates im not sure if they have any currently. Exchanged a few emails with Vincent yesterday and he said that they only have aluminum in stock for now.

Offline iamactuallyalion

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 22:02:12 »
Did you have soldering service bought with it? That may delay it a fair bit I guess. For my order Vincent told me there's no need to pick layout since it's not being soldered on his side
You know what? That's gotta be it. Makes so much more sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Offline s34nj0hn

« Reply #675 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 11:41:56 »
Miami Nights

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #676 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 12:59:59 »
Miami Nights
Show Image

That looks really good!  Any more pics?

I got a black case with the acrylic base but it hasn't shipped yet. Last I heard was that I had to wait until July 10th for a new acrylic base.
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline s34nj0hn

« Reply #677 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 13:59:50 »
Miami Nights
Show Image

I got a black case with the acrylic base but it hasn't shipped yet. Last I heard was that I had to wait until July 10th for a new acrylic base.

Another one

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #678 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:32:21 »
Miami Nights
Show Image

Show Image

Another one

Thanks for posting! Did you get a brass plate?  I see some gold peeking through.
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline s34nj0hn

« Reply #679 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:42:42 »
Miami Nights
Show Image

Show Image

Another one

Thanks for posting! Did you get a brass plate?  I see some gold peeking through.

Yeah!  Got a gold base and a brass plate.  Kind of regret not going with an acrylic base, but I’m satisfied with the way it turned out

Offline Zefft

« Reply #680 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:17:45 »
Can anyone help me with a layout this is my first custom keyboard and I tried QMK Configurator but I have an ISO build and did not find a layout like mine. I’m a super noob for this.

Offline masterhail

« Reply #681 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:02:02 »
Just received mine today! super excited - but didn't realize I may have accidentally ordered an ISO layout. I selected Layout 3 when choosing in the GB form.

Does anyone have list of available templates from the ordering options? Just wanting to know if I was sent the wrong layout or selected the wrong layout.

I had everything soldered before being sent to me, but looks like i'll have to swap around the enter key.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:04:27 by masterhail »

Offline masterhail

« Reply #682 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:28:53 »
Just received mine today! super excited - but didn't realize I may have accidentally ordered an ISO layout. I selected Layout 3 when choosing in the GB form.

Does anyone have list of available templates from the ordering options? Just wanting to know if I was sent the wrong layout or selected the wrong layout.

I had everything soldered before being sent to me, but looks like i'll have to swap around the enter key.

Yeah I definitely ordered the wrong layout somehow.

What's the difficultly level to remove & re-solder switches? I've soldered a few things, but never on a keyboard.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #683 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 14:20:00 »
the switches are all through hole, so if you know how to desolder, its not bad.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #684 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 14:49:33 »

Yep layout 3 was ISO

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #685 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 14:50:40 »

What's the difficultly level to remove & re-solder switches? I've soldered a few things, but never on a keyboard.

Not hard, are you on a budget or not? (for soldering/desoldering equipment)

Also, are these leds soldered or sipsocketed? 

Offline masterhail

« Reply #686 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 15:51:39 »

No real budget for the equipment, but I would really only be using it this one time.

I have a crappy old soldering iron already, but will need to order a solder sucker. Also have to order a couple more stabilizers for the shift keys. Was really hoping to knock this out today but no local place will have the sucker or the stabilizers.

Really not sure on the terminology for the LED soldering methods, but looks like they are sitting in the switch and soldered directly to the board.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 15:54:12 by masterhail »

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 16:23:19 »
I don't know if it's been asked before but are there extra pcbs/plates?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #688 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 17:19:47 »
There were some. I ordered a blue one w/ acrylic bottom and brass plate about a month ago. Silver and gray were already gone when I paid the invoice. A week or so ago someone mentioned getting a black one, and that those were the only ones left.
People interested in extras were contacted by email.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 17:28:22 »

No real budget for the equipment, but I would really only be using it this one time.

I have a crappy old soldering iron already, but will need to order a solder sucker. Also have to order a couple more stabilizers for the shift keys. Was really hoping to knock this out today but no local place will have the sucker or the stabilizers.

Really not sure on the terminology for the LED soldering methods, but looks like they are sitting in the switch and soldered directly to the board.

to be extremely honest, if it's your first experience, desoldering 100 switches +100 leds will not be fun at all, especially because you have leds. If you can, buy a desoldering gun, otherwise just try to desolder with your tools but it might end up with a mess.

what you can try to do, is to desolder only the switches in the middle and near the enter, bend a bit the plate and the pcb and try to remove and insert the stabilizer in another position.

Offline masterhail

« Reply #690 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 18:09:19 »

to be extremely honest, if it's your first experience, desoldering 100 switches +100 leds will not be fun at all, especially because you have leds. If you can, buy a desoldering gun, otherwise just try to desolder with your tools but it might end up with a mess.

what you can try to do, is to desolder only the switches in the middle and near the enter, bend a bit the plate and the pcb and try to remove and insert the stabilizer in another position.

I was under the impression that I would only need to remove about 5 switches to change the layout to be closer to the standard one everyone has here. The left shift, right shift, and enter button seem to be the only ones that would need to be changed. Am I incorrect in this thought process?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #691 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 23:46:01 »
Yeah unfortunatly you are wrong.
You have to change these switches, but you also have to change the stabilizers position, which is usually not possible with the keyboard soldered because you have a little space to work with.

You have to remove the stab on on the enter iso and put it in the ansi enter direction, you also have to do the same with left shift, this misses the stabilizer. For right shift you are fine already, this one should be the standard ansi 96 keeb.

You can try to do what i said, desolder some switches in the area of the stabilizer and try to lift/bend slightly the pcb and plate, to give you more space and maybe you will be allowed to remove and insert again the stabilizer without the necessity to desolder all tbe switches.

Of course every time you desolder a switch, you also have to desolder the led.

You might try to ask for a soldering/desoldering service if you are in the US (someone on /r/mechmarket might do it for you)

Offline azachhh

« Reply #692 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 07:21:44 »

I have an extra PCB that I shouldn't need.
Let me know if you're interested in purchasing it.

Offline masterhail

« Reply #693 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 20:00:49 »
Yeah unfortunatly you are wrong.
You have to change these switches, but you also have to change the stabilizers position, which is usually not possible with the keyboard soldered because you have a little space to work with.

You have to remove the stab on on the enter iso and put it in the ansi enter direction, you also have to do the same with left shift, this misses the stabilizer. For right shift you are fine already, this one should be the standard ansi 96 keeb.

You can try to do what i said, desolder some switches in the area of the stabilizer and try to lift/bend slightly the pcb and plate, to give you more space and maybe you will be allowed to remove and insert again the stabilizer without the necessity to desolder all tbe switches.

Of course every time you desolder a switch, you also have to desolder the led.

You might try to ask for a soldering/desoldering service if you are in the US (someone on /r/mechmarket might do it for you)

Appreciate the feedback. I removed the necessary switches and stabilizer today, but haven't receiver my extra stabilizer in the mail yet so I haven't tried to put anything back.

I'll give it a shot when I receiver the extra stabilizer on Saturday. If I can't get the stabilizer in the new position I don't know if I'll attempt to remove everything myself or send it off to someone to have it done. Removing the switches with the desolder pump was surprisingly easy.

Offline spyruf

« Reply #694 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:15:43 »
Looking to sell my board.

Melody 96
- Silver Top + Acrylic Bottom
- Black Plate hot swappable PCB (holtites)
- Box Royals Switches
- Clipped + Lubed + Bandaid Modded Stabs (Nathan Kim Style)
- MaxKey SA Cyan on White

More Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/1GKEzRI

It's a great board and I love everything about it except the layout. Hopefully someone can take it off my hands.
Making the PCB hot swappable was a painful and time consuming process but for someone new to mechs no soldering is required and you can try out different switches without fear of commitment.

Offline iamactuallyalion

« Reply #695 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 20:46:47 »
Received the keyboard in the mail the other day and finally got to testing everything. The left spacebar stabilizer doesn't work. I ordered soldering service because I wanted to avoid anything like this but mistakes happen. In case Vincent doesn't respond to my email what are the odds of someone with 0 experience soldering being able to replace the stabilizer without messing anything up?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #696 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 04:32:29 »
Received the keyboard in the mail the other day and finally got to testing everything. The left spacebar stabilizer doesn't work. I ordered soldering service because I wanted to avoid anything like this but mistakes happen. In case Vincent doesn't respond to my email what are the odds of someone with 0 experience soldering being able to replace the stabilizer without messing anything up?
Vincent will answer (he has 2 mails and skype), if he doesn't after few days you can pm me.

What you mean with "left stabilizer doesn't work" btw?
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2018, 04:35:45 by KaosJ »

Offline iamactuallyalion

« Reply #697 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 21:16:22 »
Vincent will answer (he has 2 mails and skype), if he doesn't after few days you can pm me.

He did message back! I was worried because a number of questions had been left unanswered previously but he has been very communicative so far. I'm sure he was just busy and it got overlooked.

I'm sorry if I'm not using the right verbiage so bear with me haha. This is my first serious foray into a new keyboard via group buy and I'm still learning. Basically the right stabilizer on the space bar stays depressed and doesn't spring back when I press it, causing the space bar to stick. I'm hoping this is an easily fixable issue on my end because I know nothing about desoldering and don't feel comfortable trying it on the board (I paid for the assembly service as a precaution) and I'd hate to have to send it back for repair. Here's a picture of the issue in question. Let me know if any other pics might help and I'll be happy to take them! [:

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2018, 21:18:22 by iamactuallyalion »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #698 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 11:30:54 »

He did message back! I was worried because a number of questions had been left unanswered previously but he has been very communicative so far. I'm sure he was just busy and it got overlooked.

I'm sorry if I'm not using the right verbiage so bear with me haha. This is my first serious foray into a new keyboard via group buy and I'm still learning. Basically the right stabilizer on the space bar stays depressed and doesn't spring back when I press it, causing the space bar to stick. I'm hoping this is an easily fixable issue on my end because I know nothing about desoldering and don't feel comfortable trying it on the board (I paid for the assembly service as a precaution) and I'd hate to have to send it back for repair. Here's a picture of the issue in question. Let me know if any other pics might help and I'll be happy to take them! [:

Show Image

May you remove REALLY GENTLY that spacebar and take a photo of the stabilizers (especially where the wire clips).

This might be still a easy fix if you do it gently by wobbling it (hopefully the wire just popped out and is still there somewhere)   

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #699 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 18:52:54 »
looking to buy a gold case top or whole case, vincent has none and mine was damaged buying it from a third party. my ocd is driving me nuts witha gray top on the away i know i wont like it. so i also have a acril bottom on order now.  but would like to get my gold case up and going.