Author Topic: Embody chair owners I have a question for you  (Read 10678 times)

Offline typo

Embody chair owners I have a question for you
« on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 23:16:43 »
My Three chairs have gotten all loose and squeaky. I can feel a lot of play in the joints they did not originally have. newest is only 8 months. Granted I am way beyond the size limit for these but I love them. I was wondering if other people had the same issue or if it is my size doing this? I do not mind to think of them as "disposable". I like them so much I will just keep replacing them if it is my fault. Otherwise HM will fix/replace them. In fact they come here I doubt they even care my size. They are a very good company. I was just wondering if averaged size people experienced this making it the chair and not me. I am a real life giant. Not by any means an exaggeration. I spoke of my size elsewhere here but I am not fat. So I am not sure If it is me wrecking the chairs or the chairs themselves. sure, I could go with a Bodybilt Bariatric chair but it is a pos compared to this. I do get great comfort form this even 20x too big. That says a heck of a lot about it I think. I love Hm. The Distil and Envelop have also proven awesome. I got the powered Envelop through commercial. It was a lot but with me adjusting the pins 10 times a day would suck. TBH I mostly do not stand because well you know, gravity lol. Still I am solid as a rock. Stnading is not incredibly comfortable nonetheless. We have the Renew and such but I do not use them much. The Envelop just needs to be adjusted up when I pull it forward due to my size.

Anyways, I was just wondering if people of average size had it loosen up and creak like mad. Thanks

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: Embody chair owners I have a question for you
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 23:47:01 »
The Embody is the most comfortable chair I've used, hands down. I've had one for quite a while and I haven't experienced any creakiness or squeak, and my ass doesn't hurt after several hours of sitting. I tried several Steelseries chairs against it, and the Embody won in terms of long-term sitting comfort.

I'm guessing that if you are over the weight limit, that is most likely contributing to the chair falling apart at such a quick rate. Have you looked into a Herman Milller Aeron? They make them in three sizes, so the biggest size might be more suitable for your body type/weight. They are quite durable chairs, and actually pretty comfortable. I had one for about three years before moving to the Embody.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 03:21:39 »
Oh, I had the Aeron size "C" for years and yes it is larger. The Embody is much better for me but I throw away a $1,500 chair about every 2-3 years now. It is okay with me for the comfort. Like you my butt does not hurt or my back. First I am older so those are issues. Second I am not like over the weight and size limit but way over. 7' 3" 400+#. I am a bodybuilder so it is not fat. My BMI is actually about right. I just wanted to confirm this. My size is destroying the chairs but it is worth it. Even a BodyBilt for a 600# person is not nearly as comfortable. I never asked HM to warranty one because I am not a jerk. I just put them in the trash. Luckily completely Biodegradable. It is a testament that the chair is comfy even for someone that is like 50% too big for it. It is no wonder they do not last though. For an average person with no pets it should last their lifetime I imagine. The funny thing is 145# is an average male at 5'10". So I am a real giant! I am very gentle though. Often handle newborn animals. Plus my kids through Great grand kids.  Sitting I cannot help but I do not sit on anyone lol. I am a good customer. The motor jammed in an older sit/stand from HM and I paid to have it fixed. I know they would have had fixed it too. My Eames have held up fine but different kind of chairs. Well I just wanted to confirm this. Thank you

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 04:17:29 »
I've never seen one of these chairs to know if it could work but as a repeat customer is it worth asking if they can advise what needs strengthening to take more weight?  Getting a custom modded chair that lasts will probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Also I was surprised to hear your BMI is reasonable - I went to uni with a solid guy who played rugby, he was about 6' 3" and came out as obese with hardly any fat on him.  Maybe the system isn't completely broken...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 09:53:21 »
I doubt HM will be party to that but where I buy them might. Ideal BMI for 7'3" is 340# but I am pretty muscular and they do not really account for that. It is stupid because muscle weighs more than fat per volume. I guess looking at BMI is really for heavy folks, I mean not muscle. I used to be concerned with it until I realized it is skewed to the Potato chip crowd lol. Anyways it is not the back that fails but the bottom plate where the seat goes on the cylinder. It could also be that I have to use a non HM 27" cylinder breaking it. It fits fine so I do not see why but maybe. What gets creaky is the tilt interestingly the same part! Falling out of a chair at my age sucks honestly.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 09:56:48 »
Second I am not like over the weight and size limit but way over. 7' 3" 400+#. I am a bodybuilder so it is not fat. My BMI is actually about right. I just wanted to confirm this. My size is destroying the chairs but it is worth it.

Bro, I wanna see pics.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:06:31 »
Second I am not like over the weight and size limit but way over. 7' 3" 400+#. I am a bodybuilder so it is not fat. My BMI is actually about right. I just wanted to confirm this. My size is destroying the chairs but it is worth it.

If you dont post pics, you are a fat nerd, who's big ass is destroying his chair.

Need TIMESTAMPED pic of you

Offline swi7z3r

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:25:12 »
+2 on the comments above me. Pics or GTFO. :D
But for reals, I'm 6'0" at #240 and have had my only Embody since 2011ish (maybe early 2012?) I've had it sent for repair once, on HM's dime (god damn, that warrenty!) and it was only for one of the arm support mechanisms that blew out.  Other than that, no undue squeeks or looseness anywhere. Still as angelicly supportive as the day I bought it.

Maybe set up a sex swing to hang 20% of your weight slightly above the chair?

Pics of that too please.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:28:40 by swi7z3r »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:55:02 »
I see no reason to question his size. He’s been posting on the forum for quite some time about size related issues and, if nothing else, it’s a good exercise in understanding the specific needs of others.

The thing I question is whether tp actually owns an ErgoDox. Has anybody seen it?

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 02:15:03 »
lol tp. I am sure he does.

Honestly guys I feel bad. I do not look very good. I mean I am not exactly 40 anymore. I am glad you came to the rescue Kurplop :)

Why would you guy's doubt me or just curious. I mean if this was the NBA no one would be asking anything lol.

Well I had to open my darned mouth. I leaned back at like 3PM yesterday and a loud snap! It does not appear anything is broken but a lot of stuff is in that "box" under the chair. Darrnit! I will keep using it. As I said an old man falling out of a chair is not cool. Can break something. I mean on me! Usually they collapse on me. They kind of like go down 6" then fall to either side. Not cool but it is totally my fault to get a chair I am too big for.  The thing is stuff like BodyBilt just stinks IMO.

Please do not make me post pics I am self conscious. Can you imagine a aged nerd? Well if any of you got bullied maybe I got it worse. I did not look like everyone else on Two counts. College was way better. That is almost always the case. Man that was in the 1950's!

Offline swi7z3r

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 04:13:26 »
Haaaaahahah. No worries mang. I was totally just playing along and being facetious. You're definitely allowed to be you without providing proof XD

No disrespect implied, just ragging on your forward manner and being chippy. Hope warranty covers your "snap" situation.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 02:56:08 »
Thanks. I feel bad age caught up with me. Did not mean to offend anyone either. You guy's are good. Other boards some real jerks congregate. What do I expect. Obviouslt this is going to be the more intellectual crowd. Like Pro photography. Now try the NRA forums and maybe they do not share my views duh.

tp, I have no doubt that you do. I know how much you like them too.

Offline tylernm

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 23:28:17 »
Have been on an embody at work and home for 3 years and have never experienced loosening but creaking does occur with the back from time to time.  I’m 6ft mesosmorph body type 216lbs. I wish the chair had a head rest but otherwise is very comfortable. Have you heard of the BackStong on Indiegog?  Either it’s good or a fraud. Still pretty cheap and has fewer adjustments than an embody so might make less noise.  The size might be a bit small though.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:13:44 »
Aeron owner here. I made the mistake of sitting in an Embody chair...now I want one but $$$$  :-\
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 05:05:55 »
It depends what you think is a lot? starts at $1,300 maxes out at $1,600. Go to Relax the back they have a $6,000 chair LOL. I do not like the BodyBilt style of chair. Big enough but It is so uncomfortable. Suspension seat on Embody literally holds my nearly 400# fine. I actually heard it make a noise a few days ago like it cannot take it anymore though HAHA. I will get another. No armrests. Shouldn't use them anyways.  I just like the Embody even if I go through one every 4 years. To me there is no better.

Offline JP

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:02:41 »
I just found a used / like new Embody for $700 on Craigslist. Sounds like a great deal. Plus I could sell my Aeron for a few bucks to drop this cost down since the Aeron didn't me anything.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 12:48:06 »
I don't know what is more incredible, guys who can afford Embody chairs like nothing to throw out every 2-3 years, or a 7' 3" guy... that kind of height is like, literally 1 in 50 million, right?

I imagine such a big guy won't be able to use a normal keyboard too. He'll need the 4x sized keys, each one armed with a really heavy spring...

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 08:00:10 »
No man I adapt. As you can see often hit 2 keys lol. I do like Clears but using Topre. Actually it is common in the NBA, Someone shares your sentiment. The salesman urged me to stop buying Embodies and get a BodyBilt. I refused. He said any chair in this tier should last 20 years. I have the wrong chair he says. I know but I like it.

JP, if you are sure that is truly like new get it. Can get $300 for yours too.  Make sure you test all functions. People will screw each other. A nice used one at the right place is $450. Which would actually make more sense for me.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 22:48:57 »
No man I adapt. As you can see often hit 2 keys lol. I do like Clears but using Topre. Actually it is common in the NBA, Someone shares your sentiment. The salesman urged me to stop buying Embodies and get a BodyBilt. I refused. He said any chair in this tier should last 20 years. I have the wrong chair he says. I know but I like it.

JP, if you are sure that is truly like new get it. Can get $300 for yours too.  Make sure you test all functions. People will screw each other. A nice used one at the right place is $450. Which would actually make more sense for me.

Ah, maybe Topre 55g is more resilient? I imagine that a giant typing on keyboards that fit small and nimble Japanese hands will squash the keyboard in no time.

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 03:14:54 »
No, Topre built like brick s-house. In fact I was so in love with another board I did not realize it actually sucked until it died and I pulled out a Topre to use.