Author Topic: [SOLD] Model M 1391401, very clean (unused?) w/orig. packaging  (Read 3679 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] Model M 1391401, very clean (unused?) w/orig. packaging
« on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:11:40 »
IBM Model M 1391401 KeyBoard with Cord and Original Box

I know original boxes mean a lot to some of you guys—and IBM boxes usually turn up trashed, if at all, so I thought this might interest someone.

The keeb itself is in virtually new condition. (Check out the cable and the feet.)

I've corresponded with the seller (a very nice guy), and he says there's just some dust from it being stored. (It's not even visible in the photos.) My impression is that he could've listed it as "NIB", but wanted to be completely up-front about it.

The Word Perfect template's a nice little bonus. It looks like he just set it on there to show it was included.

Starting at $80 + 15 US shipping, with a few days to go. A nice board for someone.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:13:47 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Model M 1391401, very clean (unused?) w/orig. packaging
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:08:13 »
It's mine now :)

I'll have to report back on just how "new" it feels.

I honestly didn't need it, but it looks so nice

We all need 4 Model M's right?  right?

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:20:19 »
:))

This is part of them...
189346-0
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:43:32 »
It's mine now :)

I honestly didn't need it, but it looks so nice

Why stop at 4?

I have only 5, but need more of them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:05:45 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:22:11 »
It's mine now :) ...

That's great! You also have to rub your hands together and do an Evil Laugh, though. I'll attach a short sound file here that you can use for this purpose.

Looking forward to your report! Feel free to include a video demo. When it comes to buckling springs, there doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of them you want to experience, even vicariously (that is, if you vicar buys one).

Well, sure, at least! No one makes keebs like these anymore—and there are only so many, especially in such nice shape as this one seems to be, and you have to have enough of them to lay them all out in a big arrangement of beige goodness and cackle and say "My Precious" and so forth.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [SOLD] Model M 1391401, very clean (unused?) w/orig. packaging
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 03:12:06 »
Oops, I meant to call that "keeb-acquisition sounds", but I was in too much of a hurry. Anyway, once you acquire a keeb, you usually keep it too.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:56:17 »
Well boys, I just don't have the best luck when it comes to ebay. I got the board today.  19 broken rivets.  The entire numpad side is broken off, so - + and Enter don't register.  It's crazy to me.  I have a M that came from over seas, was chucked in a drawer for who knows how long after a decade of every day use.  It has 1 broken rivet.  I have an SSK that came from a stack of stored keyboards in storage for a decade.  4 broken rivets.  This dude says his is basically new and has set in an attic since the 90s.  Who knows.

Anywho.... can anyone recommend a bolt modding service to me?  I see a few looking around but I want to hear if you have any personal recommendations.

Oh, and that word perfect template.... glued on.  Working on getting that off at the moment.

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:22:08 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:32:16 »
Oh man.  It's super glue or something.  It's bonded with the case plastic.  Oh well.  I managed to get it smooth.  I bought this one because I was hoping to get the best condition model M in my collection.  It is now the worst.  BUT... it will be my experiment board for my first bolt mod!  I'm going to have a go at it some time down the road and see what I can accomplish.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:47:24 »
Luck of the draw, really.  I got 2 Model M a while back, both in atrocious condition.  One turned out to be nearly perfect after a clean (1 load rivet).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ