Author Topic: What are the highest quality PBT front printed keycaps?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline mikehotel

What are the highest quality PBT front printed keycaps?
« on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:35:43 »
Is it also true that if I get translucent PBT keycaps they aren't very high quality?
I'm looking for thick, PBT keycaps, preferably to be used on an RGB board.

Offline Riverman

Re: What are the highest quality PBT front printed keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:50:36 »
The highest quality front-printed keycaps I've seen are from Leopold.  They're very thick, and they're more or less Cherry profile.  They're not going to let any light through if you're using them on an RGB keyboard, though, but no front-printed keycaps will.

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:11:37 »
Gotcha. What about the best PBT keycaps for an RGB board?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:32:16 »
The highest quality front-printed keycaps I've seen are from Leopold.  They're very thick, and they're more or less Cherry profile.  They're not going to let any light through if you're using them on an RGB keyboard, though, but no front-printed keycaps will.

That's not true. PBT front-print keys can let plenty of light through if you so choose.

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:49:17 »
Nice

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:49:51 »

That's not true. PBT front-print keys can let plenty of light through if you so choose.

What caps are those?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:51:28 »
It's Varmilo front-print PBT caps.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:08:19 »
Are they better than the Vortex and leopold ones?
What profile are they? I heard they use their own profile
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:49:00 by mikehotel »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:30:52 »

Show Image

Are transparent caps (not frosted) a thing? I need day teal N64 look

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 09:57:23 »
Are transparent caps (not frosted) a thing? I need day teal N64 look
Signature Plastics has blank transparent keycaps in DCS profile. ANSI only: no vertical Enter. They call their tinted ones "translucent" though but I don't think those have any "frosting" except for the moulded texture on top. The stems are very visible through them though.
They are made from polycarbonate, which is another pretty hard plastic. I have never seen clear PBT so I would guess that that does not exist.

SP also has individual tinted caps with frosted tops.
You could also find clear and tinted caps on eBay but I think all of those are thin ABS.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 14:52:00 »
Are they better than the Vortex and leopold ones?
What profile are they? I heard they use their own profile
Varmilo keycaps are nearly identical, if not identical, to Leopold keycaps, and much nicer than Vortex, if you ask me.  Varmilo and Leopold use the same "Step Sculpture 2" profile, which is essentially Cherry profile.