Author Topic: Type s sliders  (Read 6173 times)

Offline bizzy11

Type s sliders
« on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 20:01:22 »
Are the classifieds and mechmarket the only places to get type s sliders, other than buying the HHKB to harvest the sliders? I need enough to cover two FC980c and a FC660c, so kind of need a lot.

If it's not easy to get these, would the KBDfans silencing rings be comparable?
FC660C | FC980C

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Type s sliders
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 21:34:13 »
All type s and realforce silent sliders are harvested from keyboards, so it would take you a long time to source those off mechmarket, or a lot of money to buy boards to harvest. Better course of action is to buy silencing rings.. keyclack, kbdfans, hyperspheres
keyboards.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 21:46:20 »
All type s and realforce silent sliders are harvested from keyboards, so it would take you a long time to source those off mechmarket, or a lot of money to buy boards to harvest. Better course of action is to buy silencing rings.. keyclack, kbdfans, hyperspheres

Have you tried the KBDfans silencers before? Does it affect the feel a lot? I was going to try the hypersphere but they seem kind of thick compared to the KBDfans.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 21:59:21 »

Have you tried the KBDfans silencers before? Does it affect the feel a lot? I was going to try the hypersphere but they seem kind of thick compared to the KBDfans.

There is a very slight loss of tactility due to the very minimal loss of travel distance. I use BKE Extremes on my HHKB Pro 2 and the feel is now somewhere midway a BKE Heavy and BKE Extreme.

The silencing of the upstroke with the KBDFans Silence-X rings is well worth it, in my honest opinion. I don't care much for silent boards but the upstroke on Topre boards isn't very appealing. The Silence-X rings has reduced them drastically and the board, overall, sounds much better now.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 22:02:01 »
Hyperspheres are thick, and cause a small but noticeable reduction in tactility. Kbdfans and keyclack are very thin, and don't reduce tactility much at all, but they also don't silence as well as a result..maybe 2/3 as well. Tradeoffs. Silent sliders ARE the best solution, but also more expensive. If you want you can buy a silenced realforce 104, swap sliders, then try to resell it. They're $250, but also not very popular on the used market so it's a gamble.
keyboards.

Offline subcat

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 22:04:22 »
Hyperspheres are thick, and cause a small but noticeable reduction in tactility. Kbdfans and keyclack are very thin, and don't reduce tactility much at all, but they also don't silence as well as a result..maybe 2/3 as well. Tradeoffs. Silent sliders ARE the best solution, but also more expensive. If you want you can buy a silenced realforce 104, swap sliders, then try to resell it. They're $250, but also not very popular on the used market so it's a gamble.
Genuine OEM Realforce silent/Type-S sliders are longer, thus resulting in no loss of travel from the silencing rings. Standard sliders silenced with any third party method are not comparable.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 22:35:37 »
Alright think I'm going to try out the KBDfans silencing rings first. I've only been able to find one seller with the type s sliders by themselves and they're quite expensive.

Guess I'll try to collect them over time and eventually have enough to swap lol.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:13:03 »
I have an fc660c with silenced sliders harvested from an old RF. after swapping in bke redux domes, I'm actually contemplating double silencing with keyclack's rings, because the bke domes made the upstroke way louder.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:27:54 »
I have an fc660c with silenced sliders harvested from an old RF. after swapping in bke redux domes, I'm actually contemplating double silencing with keyclack's rings, because the bke domes made the upstroke way louder.

Which bke domes did you go with? I was thinking about changing the domes as well, but I keep reading that it changes the feel a lot.

The noise when the key resets is kinda loud so I'd like to quiet that the most.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:30:26 »

Which bke domes did you go with? I was thinking about changing the domes as well, but I keep reading that it changes the feel a lot.

I started with a variable layout of lights and heavies on my novatouch to try that out, but ended up on a variable with lights and extra lights on my daily driver 660c which is just about perfect. The heavier weights are very pleasant, but fatiguing for me for real work.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:38:08 »

I started with a variable layout of lights and heavies on my novatouch to try that out, but ended up on a variable with lights and extra lights on my daily driver 660c which is just about perfect. The heavier weights are very pleasant, but fatiguing for me for real work.

Are the light and ultra light noticeably lighter than the stock topre domes? I do like light switches, but 45g seems like a good spot for topre imo.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:47:23 »

Are the light and ultra light noticeably lighter than the stock topre domes? I do like light switches, but 45g seems like a good spot for topre imo.
I would say the extra lights are pretty close in weight, just more tactile (and louder).

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 00:05:45 »

I would say the extra lights are pretty close in weight, just more tactile (and louder).

Alright I'll consider getting those as well. I wanna try the KBDfans rings first and see how it feels. I'd love to be able to try type s sliders too, but dunno how I'd go about that lol.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 00:08:47 »

Alright I'll consider getting those as well. I wanna try the KBDfans rings first and see how it feels. I'd love to be able to try type s sliders too, but dunno how I'd go about that lol.
Yeah, it took me a while lurking in /r/mm before I found an old RF that was cheap enough for me to buy just for sliders.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 01:11:41 »
Yea the cost to do that is a bit high for me lol, although I'd love to have those sliders. I'm hoping the KBDfans rings are good enough to satisfy me though, so much cheaper than getting different sliders.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 14:28:15 »
Has anyone tried the KBDfans mx sliders (they're back in stock btw): https://kbdfans.cn/collections/electrostatic-capacitive-keycaps/products/topre-keycaps-to-mx-keycaps-adapter-x

Think I might try some of these but the comment on the page said their stem broke because of these sliders? Anyone know what that's about?
FC660C | FC980C

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 16:04:08 »
Has anyone tried the KBDfans mx sliders (they're back in stock btw): https://kbdfans.cn/collections/electrostatic-capacitive-keycaps/products/topre-keycaps-to-mx-keycaps-adapter-x

Think I might try some of these but the comment on the page said their stem broke because of these sliders? Anyone know what that's about?

I've heard of three types of sliders that can be used in place of the stock.

JTK sliders - just stay the hell away from these, according to what most people have said to me. Idk if they've been redone and been made better now.

Novatouch sliders - the best you'll get in the aftermarket but good luck finding them and good luck some more finding them at a price that won't break your bank.

KBDFans sliders - compared to the JTK, they're much better. Compared to stock, they're not as good and you'll notice. However, on a budget, they work and most users accept them if they really want MX caps on their Topre board.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 17:56:48 »

JTK sliders - just stay the hell away from these, according to what most people have said to me. Idk if they've been redone and been made better now.

Novatouch sliders - the best you'll get in the aftermarket but good luck finding them and good luck some more finding them at a price that won't break your bank.

KBDFans sliders - compared to the JTK, they're much better. Compared to stock, they're not as good and you'll notice. However, on a budget, they work and most users accept them if they really want MX caps on their Topre board.

Yea I saw the reviews about the JTK sliders and the keys popping off. I was hoping the KBDfans sliders would be close to stock but I guess it's still noticeable. That's disappointing. Thanks.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:07:57 »
One could save up some $$ and order the cheapest possible silent Topre RealForce to harvest the purple sliders - the only way to get the real silent Topre experience, 108 sliders at a time:    :cool:

https://zenmarket.jp/amazonproduct.aspx?itemCode=B077K4QN1L&variationItemCode=B004U8IVK4

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:14:55 »

Yea I saw the reviews about the JTK sliders and the keys popping off. I was hoping the KBDfans sliders would be close to stock but I guess it's still noticeable. That's disappointing. Thanks.

To be fair, Novatouch sliders are the cream of the crop when it comes to aftermarket sliders and you'll notice a difference even with those. I've personally decided that it isn't worth altering the feel at all for use of mx stem keycaps.

I liked Topre when I first bought an HHKB but I didn't truly enjoy it until I dome swapped it with some BKE Extremes. While I am a little sad that the addition of Silence-X rings reduced tactility a bit, I felt like that was a mod where the pros of it heavily outweigh the cons of changed key feel.  In the case of keycap customization, I am quite happy with this very sleek and understated look of Black on Black and do not believe that the possibilities of customization outweigh the change of key feel.

It's just such a nice smooth tactile goodness right now. I don't need any scratchiness being added. In addition, I didn't and never plan to lube the sliders. It's already plenty smooth and I would not like to reduce tactility. After having broken in the BKE Extreme domes and adding the Silence-X rings, they've lost a noticeable amount of tactility and lube would only make them lose more.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:10:33 »
One could save up some $$ and order the cheapest possible silent Topre RealForce to harvest the purple sliders - the only way to get the real silent Topre experience, 108 sliders at a time:    :cool:

https://zenmarket.jp/amazonproduct.aspx?itemCode=B077K4QN1L&variationItemCode=B004U8IVK4

Damnnnnnn if only I could justify the cost lol. I'm pretty happy with the stock feel already so I'm not sure how far I want to go down the rabbit hole.

To be fair, Novatouch sliders are the cream of the crop when it comes to aftermarket sliders and you'll notice a difference even with those. I've personally decided that it isn't worth altering the feel at all for use of mx stem keycaps.

I liked Topre when I first bought an HHKB but I didn't truly enjoy it until I dome swapped it with some BKE Extremes. While I am a little sad that the addition of Silence-X rings reduced tactility a bit, I felt like that was a mod where the pros of it heavily outweigh the cons of changed key feel.  In the case of keycap customization, I am quite happy with this very sleek and understated look of Black on Black and do not believe that the possibilities of customization outweigh the change of key feel.

It's just such a nice smooth tactile goodness right now. I don't need any scratchiness being added. In addition, I didn't and never plan to lube the sliders. It's already plenty smooth and I would not like to reduce tactility. After having broken in the BKE Extreme domes and adding the Silence-X rings, they've lost a noticeable amount of tactility and lube would only make them lose more.

I'm starting to feel the same way, I already sold most of my mx boards and now I'm getting rid of the keycaps. It sucks I can't pick up custom sets, but at the same time it's prolly better for my wallet in the long run lol. The new HUB profile caps are interesting though, and for the price I wouldn't mind picking up some sets. Prolly just gonna stick to topre for now though.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 10:53:37 »
Anyone try buying these and silencing them: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2114

Curious how the feel is since they're actually from Topre and not a third party. Maybe similar to the Novatouch sliders?
FC660C | FC980C

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:47:22 »

I have received JTK sliders last week and installed them in one of my Realforce 87UW. I have installed them on two thirds of the keys, leaving the original sliders in some areas, because I wanted to be able to compare with the original sliders, and because I know I'm going to redo it fully with silencing in a few days anyway (ironed landing pads method).

I've purchased the JTK sliders from Originative.

Pros:
- They are very smooth. As smooth as the original ones from Topre, and as smooth as those in the Novatouch.
- Good fit with MX compatible keycaps (a customized set from WASD). No key popping off.
- Not too expensive.

Cons:
- They have a little bit of wobble, slightly more than the original sliders. Not much.
- The upstroke "click" is louder, I'm not sure why. Silencing is required when using these JTK sliders, unless you really like the upstroke noise.
- Some sliders have a slightly protruding sprue mark that can be felt when using the key. On the 60 keys I have  done, 5 of them have this. None of the 5 keys are defective, and when I type I don't notice it. You need to press them at some angle to notice it.

I wanted to test them before fully silencing them, and so far I'm not disappointed.

I had heard about the wobble by other people who had tested them, and I was a little worried by this. But honestly you will notice it only if you are looking for it. When typing, it's a non-issue.

My guess is that silencing them with ironed landing pads, as I planned to do anyway, will reduce the slight wobble, and of course it will get rid of the upstroke click. It will reduce the wobble because I suspect that these sliders do not push the keycaps all the way up. So there is a little bit of play in the vertical direction, and it could explain partly the louder upstroke. If that's really the case, it's a very good thing and it will help with silencing, as the landing pads will not reduce the key travel at all.

I did notice key popping off spontaneously... on my Novatouch (with its original sliders).

So my experience is that the keys don't pop off on JTK sliders, but they pop off on the "superior" Novatouch sliders!

It is possible that I have received a new, revised version of the JTK sliders, or a better batch. I don't know, but they are better than I expected.

I think I could recommend the JTK sliders to people who want to use MX compatible keycaps on Topre keyboards, with the caveat that you will also probably have to silence your keyboard while you swap the sliders (ironed landing pads technique or similar), and also you should inspect the sliders one by one when installing, looking for sprue marks.

My opinion: 4 stars out of 5.

I'm planning to install JTK sliders in a new FC660C (I have already one with Noppoo 108-EC PRO sliders inside), and maybe also in my HHKB.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 05:56:18 »
I've bought the KBDfans silencing rings, about p/p, I would rate them 5/5 stars. The typing experience on HHKB is drastically improved with sexier audible feedback. Although, the installing process is tedious af tbh. It took me 3 or 4 hours with only 60 switches.

AFAIK, given the cost and what you will get, collecting type s sliders is not worth it.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:12:16 »

I have received JTK sliders last week and installed them in one of my Realforce 87UW. I have installed them on two thirds of the keys, leaving the original sliders in some areas, because I wanted to be able to compare with the original sliders, and because I know I'm going to redo it fully with silencing in a few days anyway (ironed landing pads method).

I've purchased the JTK sliders from Originative.

Pros:
- They are very smooth. As smooth as the original ones from Topre, and as smooth as those in the Novatouch.
- Good fit with MX compatible keycaps (a customized set from WASD). No key popping off.
- Not too expensive.

Cons:
- They have a little bit of wobble, slightly more than the original sliders. Not much.
- The upstroke "click" is louder, I'm not sure why. Silencing is required when using these JTK sliders, unless you really like the upstroke noise.
- Some sliders have a slightly protruding sprue mark that can be felt when using the key. On the 60 keys I have  done, 5 of them have this. None of the 5 keys are defective, and when I type I don't notice it. You need to press them at some angle to notice it.

I wanted to test them before fully silencing them, and so far I'm not disappointed.

I had heard about the wobble by other people who had tested them, and I was a little worried by this. But honestly you will notice it only if you are looking for it. When typing, it's a non-issue.

My guess is that silencing them with ironed landing pads, as I planned to do anyway, will reduce the slight wobble, and of course it will get rid of the upstroke click. It will reduce the wobble because I suspect that these sliders do not push the keycaps all the way up. So there is a little bit of play in the vertical direction, and it could explain partly the louder upstroke. If that's really the case, it's a very good thing and it will help with silencing, as the landing pads will not reduce the key travel at all.

I did notice key popping off spontaneously... on my Novatouch (with its original sliders).

So my experience is that the keys don't pop off on JTK sliders, but they pop off on the "superior" Novatouch sliders!

It is possible that I have received a new, revised version of the JTK sliders, or a better batch. I don't know, but they are better than I expected.

I think I could recommend the JTK sliders to people who want to use MX compatible keycaps on Topre keyboards, with the caveat that you will also probably have to silence your keyboard while you swap the sliders (ironed landing pads technique or similar), and also you should inspect the sliders one by one when installing, looking for sprue marks.

My opinion: 4 stars out of 5.

I'm planning to install JTK sliders in a new FC660C (I have already one with Noppoo 108-EC PRO sliders inside), and maybe also in my HHKB.

Hm interesting, at least they're improving the sliders. Heard some really bad things about the previous ones that were released.

I already bought some KBDfans rings and silenced my boards. I've basically given up and just decided to use my board as-is now lol.

I've bought the KBDfans silencing rings, about p/p, I would rate them 5/5 stars. The typing experience on HHKB is drastically improved with sexier audible feedback. Although, the installing process is tedious af tbh. It took me 3 or 4 hours with only 60 switches.

AFAIK, given the cost and what you will get, collecting type s sliders is not worth it.

I also ended up ordering the KBDfans and installing them on 5 different boards. Yes it was very tedious lol, especially the 980's as there are a lot of keys.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Haven't really experienced any of the rings riding up the sliders like other people have reported. Although I took a lot of time to make sure the rings were completely flat before reinstalling the sliders.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 21:44:42 »
just to echo what everyone is already saying, KBDfans silence rings are incredible. I bought 2 bags and installed them on my RF87U and Novatouch, both are sounding excellent right now, thock thock without the loud upstroke. And I still have enough rings for a HHKB BT whenever I find one :)

In terms of sliders, I swapped the NT sliders into my RF of course (have a Norbaforce incoming as well) and the Novatouch is now fitted with KBDfans Adapter-X.
- 1u: NT wins hands down, smoother than KBDfans and the KBDfans has an issue with rotated stem (about 3-5 degree to the left)
- stabilisers: NT is louder, possibly because the extra stem on the keycap hits the extra legs on the slider. KBDfans doesn't have those extra legs and sounds much quieter, but keycap sits about 0.25-0.5mm lower than the 1u keys
- Not sure about JTK sliders as I haven't tried them before.

Overall NT is still the best (also stab housing has holes already so you don't have to drill/make holes yourself). KBDfans is a good value alternative but does come with quirks as stated above (thus KBDfans lowered the price from $30 to $24 to account for it).