Author Topic: What makes Cherry MX5000 so expensive  (Read 4527 times)

Offline FSTP

What makes Cherry MX5000 so expensive
« on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 19:42:22 »
Hello,

I was just wondering why it seems when ever I see a Cherry MX5000 listed for such high prices. Are these really that desirable? I've never used one but in the videos I've seen they seem kind of flimsy.

Any members here have one that could lend some insight to their value?

Thanks,
Jess

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What makes Cherry MX5000 so expensive
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 19:53:05 »
It's model M (looking)  and split..

So it's like a combination of "Hipster Rep" + "Ergonomics"

Overall, it's not a good ergonomic keyboard on its own, because the tenting angle is very limited.

HOWEVER,  it's a prized collectable, because the concept was far ahead of its time..

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 20:28:27 »
The combination of rarity, desirability, brand, and how interesting it is. It's one of those that seems to check every box, and therefore, is valued far higher than one would expect, or it really deserves.

People desire it because it is 'ergo training wheels', nearly everyone could use the keyboard how they like. It is also the first keyboard to use brown switches, the brown switch was literally designed specifically for this board, therefore, fans of brown switches will obviously flock to the keyboard that they were designed for.
The keyboard is a compact design, the layout is familiar, and the styling is palatable without questionable stylistic choices or horrible switch placement.

Personally, I hate brown switches and I don't prefer ergo designs(sorry TP4, I'll eat my veggies tonight). I would never buy one of these keyboards, even if they were only worth $10. It's not for everyone.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 April 2018, 20:30:20 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 20:46:02 »
The combination of rarity, desirability, brand, and how interesting it is. It's one of those that seems to check every box, and therefore, is valued far higher than one would expect, or it really deserves.

People desire it because it is 'ergo training wheels', nearly everyone could use the keyboard how they like. It is also the first keyboard to use brown switches, the brown switch was literally designed specifically for this board, therefore, fans of brown switches will obviously flock to the keyboard that they were designed for.
The keyboard is a compact design, the layout is familiar, and the styling is palatable without questionable stylistic choices or horrible switch placement.

Personally, I hate brown switches and I don't prefer ergo designs(sorry TP4, I'll eat my veggies tonight). I would never buy one of these keyboards, even if they were only worth $10. It's not for everyone.

There are 897 characters in your post..

I expect 897 full bites of veggies, and we'll call it even ..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 21:38:26 »
old and rare and cool
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 22:37:47 »
  • basically the only 75%/TKL keyboard Cherry has made
  • one of three (known) keyboards that have true "vintage" browns (pre mid-1997), the other two being Kinesis Contoured and the Cherry G80-1838 made for Compaq.
  • only made for three years (I've only seen them from '96 and '97 though...) so factoring in people throwing them away it's rare. Even the older G80/G81-3000Hxx have had longer production runs
  • my experience has been that people who get them hold on to them, so seeing one for sale at a "normal" price is rare.

my opinion, but it's the best Cherry board ever. The 5000 isn't nearly as flimsy as say an 1800 or even 3000 series. The 1000 series probably have the 5k beat though (it's been a while, forgive me). I love mine dearly  :)

• If you really want to try vintage browns, look for one of the original Kinesis Contoured 100 (pre-Advantage) or a G80-1838HPU. It will be cheaper, though these boards are still somewhat rare. Don't bother with the 11800's, not the same feeling. When I had my 1838 the switches are identical in feeling to the 5000
  • If you want to try the layout, try the Kinesis Freestyle Edge. It is eerily similar to the 5000 but with more features.
  • If you want the real deal, get an ISO layout version. Should be cheaper and easier to find than the ANSI ones.

The G80-5000 is the first Cherry corp board with browns, but the switch was designed per request from Kinesis and used on their Contoured boards. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37100.msg706886#msg706886

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 02:00:55 »
It's expensive because it's rare because nobody wanted it because it's useless because it's ergonomic.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline shawnyadav

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:44:46 »
Cherry MX5000 is a vintage model popular among the collectors. So price is high for this.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 February 2022, 09:23:54 »
sweet i still have an mx5000