Author Topic: [IC] GMK Grey on Black  (Read 32144 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] GMK Grey on Black
« on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:29:48 »
Working title since I'm not sure where I want to go thematically with this colorway yet.

This is GMK Grey on Black, meant to be an alternative for those that were part of a recently doomed keyset

I've got permission from CU to work with the exact colorway, but I'm not interested in pursuing the same theme.

This is the mockup I've got going so far

I'm also looking into a sub60s kit

Not much at the moment since I need feedback on what's needed

This is a very early stage IC as I'm really looking to work with people's feedback to get this where it needs to be to succeed, so please let me know what you want to see and I'll do my best to work with it. One of the benefits of a "monotone" set like this is not only does it reduce the need for some alt colored keys, but it's actually cheaper from GMK the less colors there are in the base kit, so more compatibility can be added and still keep the price reasonable. If people want some more color options I'll be looking to keep them in a child kit since that would still keep the base kit price down.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
Re: [IC] GMK Grey on Black
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:33:28 »
I’m in.

Offline RSC

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:41:25 »
R1 1u backspace and R2 1.5u delete missing.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:43:08 »
I'm in. Presume CR/N9?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:43:36 »
I agree with the 1u backspace but the 1.5u delete isn’t really needed since there’s already a 1.5u backspace. Seems pretty redundant to have both.

Offline RSC

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:46:22 »
I agree with the 1u backspace but the 1.5u delete isn’t really needed since there’s already a 1.5u backspace. Seems pretty redundant to have both.
Well it depends on how you want to run it, right? Some people prefer to go R1 delete and R2 backspace, some people prefer to go R1 backspace and R2 delete. Be that as it may, this was available in GMK Doom.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:50:56 »
I'm in. Presume CR/N9?

That could be up for debate. Definitely still CR for the base but depending on interest the legends could be adjusted to something a little less "ninja".

Offline dallman5

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:52:04 »
Interested.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:54:04 »
I'm in. Presume CR/N9?

That could be up for debate. Definitely still CR for the base but depending on interest the legends could be adjusted to something a little less "ninja".

I guess GMK renders make them look really dark, but actual pictures seem perfect.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:54:43 »
Since this set isn't being offered with accents, it would be nice if it we're offered in a colorway where there are accents available.

Oco has several sets of accents intended for Dolch that have N9 as the legend color.

Probably the brightest stock GMK gray that doesn't come across as off-white is CC.

My vote is N9.

Offline RSC

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 12:57:03 »
CR/N9 is perfect, don't change it.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:01:47 »
this was available in GMK Doom.
I think going down that route is a recipe for failure. GMK Doom didn’t do well and if we want this set to go differently changes will have to be made. Getting rid of very similar keys, that are only useful for one layout, to make room for compatibility is probably a better route.

Thinking it over, I can get behind getting rid of 1u backspace.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:03:36 »
CR/N9 is perfect, don't change it.
I completely agree here.

Offline Eon2001

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:04:34 »
I am also interested in a set containing the exact colors in the original colorway (minus novelties/accents, those were the least interesting aspect of the original project.)

Rather than starting from scratch - im curious what Cartel had in mind, not only were they the partners in the original project, they had intimated they had a theme and tweaks for the set already in mind.

For what its worth, I would actually be interested in Cartel taking the lead on the set, for those reasons.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:08:15 by Eon2001 »

Offline RSC

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:08:43 »
I think going down that route is a recipe for failure. GMK Doom didn’t do well and if we want this set to go differently changes will have to be made. Getting rid of very similar keys, that are only useful for one layout, to make room for compatibility is probably a better route.

Doom didn't fail because of the set, it failed because the GB runner didn't do a thing to advertise or create hype around the set. That being said, price for this set is sure to go down in comparison because there will not be any novelties or accent keys included in this set's base kit.

I am also interested in a set containing the exact colors in the original colorway (minus novelties/accents, those were the least interesting aspect of the original project.)

Rather than starting from scratch - im curious what Cartel had in mind, not only were they the partners in the original project, they had intimated they had a theme and tweaks for the set already in mind.

For what its worth, I would actually be interested in Cartel taking the lead on the set, for those reasons.

I've also said that recently, not sure if Donutcat reached out to Cartel before starting this thread.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:10:20 by RSC »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:28:09 »

I've also said that recently, not sure if Donutcat reached out to Cartel before starting this thread.

I discussed that in the Doom thread

Without the novelties it's not CU's design, as this colourway has been run before on the Exent set. Additionally, as Cartel has already showed interest in running this, I think they should be the ones to do it, as they were heavily involved in this GB.

I'd be interested in letting them have it to run as we're pretty good buddies, I'm just wanting to get my hands on the set design for it really since I don't get much of an opportunity to throw together a set without having to worry about all the logistics behind it. Plus I think I could do a decent bit to help the kit design out.

Donut, I don't see why we'd have any issue with collaborating on it if you have some ideas and get the greenlight from CU (I agree with you on that, matter of respect even if the core colorway has shown up elsewhere). Obviously sales logistics is the only real question mark since we're both US retailers, but I imagine we could all sort something fair out.

Let me know what you hear and think tho, maybe there's something we can all make happen here.

Me and most of the dudes at Cartel are pretty good buds(at least that's how it feels to me), so I'd be very open to working with them on the set. I'm very much in favor of giving them the GB, if that's how they want to go about it, since they did so much of the work for Doom, I'm just wanting to focus on the design of the set.

Since this set isn't being offered with accents, it would be nice if it we're offered in a colorway where there are accents available.

Oco has several sets of accents intended for Dolch that have N9 as the legend color.

Probably the brightest stock GMK gray that doesn't come across as off-white is CC.

My vote is N9.

Accents aren't in the set currently, but they might be as people tell me what they're wanting out of it. I know there's lots of CMY(K) accent kits that happen, so I was wanting to differ a little and try maybe an RGB accent pack for it since I think RO2, V4, and N7 could go very well with the colors of the set.

Ultimately that's up to people to decide. If a bunch of people decide they don't want the 1u Backspace/1.5u Delete in the set, or vice versa, then sobeit. Personally, I'm a fan of 1.5u Backspace and 1u \|, but if I want there to be desire for the set I've got to listen to what people want.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:31:12 »
Doom didn't fail because of the set, it failed because the GB runner didn't do a thing to advertise or create hype around the set. That being said, price for this set is sure to go down in comparison because there will not be any novelties or accent keys included in this set's base kit.
Or instead of dropping the price those keys can be replaced to attract new people with different layouts.

Offline Petch

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:51:56 »
Interested

Offline 1ceman

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:01:26 »
I'm definitely in anyway, but I think that orange backspace looked quite nice on the DOOM renders. I'd also add a R1 1u and R2 1.5u orange backspaces next to a standard R1 2u one.
Another idea could be an split/ErgoDox set? I'm not sure how many would be interested, but for me personally ErgoDox is always a good idea :)

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:08:02 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:09:11 »
I'm definitely in anyway, but I think that orange backspace looked quite nice on the DOOM renders. I'd also add a R1 1u and R2 1.5u orange backspaces next to a standard R1 2u one.
Another idea could be an split/ErgoDox set? I'm not sure how many would be interested, but for me personally ErgoDox is always a good idea :)

Ergo kits never hit MOQ, even on Massdrop where the audience is over 10 times larger. It's a waste of time imo

Offline Sputnik

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:25:58 »
Nice one!
speaking of Accent, what do you think of something unconventional?
Only Esc and Return but in three/four different colors? (One of those must be orange anyway....)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 15:08:35 »
Nice one!
Only Esc and Return but in three/four different colors? (One of those must be orange anyway....)

Something like this is what I originally had in mind, either this and a single kit, or expand them by adding spacebars and make them each individual accent kits available for lots of sets.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 15:10:34 »
Nice one!

Show Image

Something like this is what I originally had in mind, either this and a single kit, or expand them by adding spacebars and make them each individual accent kits available for lots of sets.

+1 for RGB accents

Offline RSC

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 15:16:03 »
I think an inverted Esc and Enter keys would look cool, black legends on grey caps.

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 15:57:08 »
Definitely interested.

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:12:55 »
I think an inverted Esc and Enter keys would look cool, black legends on grey caps.

Now that sounds interesting!
I liked the subtle orange on doom and am not particularly interested in a rgb or cmyk accent pack. Also I liked the accent key being backspace for a change.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:23:43 »
I'm in provided the legends remain ninja dark (N9).

Offline avid

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:24:45 »
Looks great Donut, look forward to this one  :thumb:

Offline hervuli

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:57:04 »
I'm in provided the legends remain ninja dark (N9).

Same, the low contrast is what makes this interesting for me.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline x86ect

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 10:16:53 »
+1 for ninja grey (N9)... anything lighter and the question comes up about "why not just get white on black"?
+1 for R1 1u Backspace.

Offline yap68

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 10:39:39 »
+1 for the inverted esc and enter keys

Offline odd

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 11:19:50 »
Sucks you wont be including the theme. Hopefully one day someone will combine hiphop and keyboards together,wu-tang keyset anyone??

That being said i still love the colorway and I'm glad you are picking it up from the ashes on the doom(ed) set can I ask for a favor?

Please add a 1U, R1 backspace key,I still don't know why this is still not a standard key by now. Ill buy the set regardless cuz I love the colorway,having that 1U backspace would make me very very happy

Offline mast3rwanderer

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:44:09 »
Sucks you wont be including the theme. Hopefully one day someone will combine hiphop and keyboards together,wu-tang keyset anyone??

I definitely ordered a 'Wu Tang' nameplate for my E6v2 coming soon.  With Red Samurai.  Protect yo goddam nekk :)

Offline Sputnik

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 14:56:20 »
Nice one!

Show Image

Happy you guys appreciate the concept
Anyway I'd keep it basic: esc/enter/maybe spacebar
And speaking of colors 1+ for black legends on gray, plus some kits using as base some light/pale tones (in the stealthy mood of the whole kit) of orange, yellow, blue...
Anyway it's up to you Donut, only my modest suggestions....

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 18:40:36 »

That being said i still love the colorway and I'm glad you are picking it up from the ashes on the doom(ed) set can I ask for a favor?

Please add a 1U, R1 backspace key,I still don't know why this is still not a standard key by now. Ill buy the set regardless cuz I love the colorway,having that 1U backspace would make me very very happy

A proper orange accent kit might well hit MOQ, especially if the colors match Skidata or Skidolcha.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 19:15:57 »

A proper orange accent kit might well hit MOQ, especially if the colors match Skidata or Skidolcha.

+1 for this!! Orange and grey are so so tasty together. Skidolcha is the most underrated set of the last year, I think. This set with an orange kit is a must buy!

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 20:25:33 »
Would accents of black on grey be possible?
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline __foo_

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 21:07:03 »
I'm in if there are colored accents (red please).

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 21:53:24 »
Would accents of black on grey be possible?

Is the cheapest option since you still only use 2 colors. Lower set price.

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 11:06:18 »
I am in love with this. Please keep the R3 1.75 Fn key! So few sets have one. Love this set without the novelties!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 12:07:48 »
I am in love with this. Please keep the R3 1.75 Fn key! So few sets have one. Love this set without the novelties!
It looks like r3 1.5u in the picture but I imagine it’s supposed to be 1.75u. Might just be an error unless it’s for some other layout.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 12:16:37 »
Any chance to get a couple of blank R4, 1.25, keys?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 13:22:18 »
Updated base kit based off feedback so far

Added 1u Backspace support, added CR on N9 accents.

Also, the R3 Fns are 1.25u and 1.5u, as physical support for odd layouts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2018, 13:42:12 by donutcat »

Offline RSC

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 14:07:02 »
Perfect. Now kindly take my money, sir.

PS: Having H J K L with arrows, as GMK Terminal, would also be sweet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2018, 14:28:47 by RSC »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 14:07:19 »
Show Image

ye ye, i dig the inverted accents

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 14:48:57 »
Show Image

Yeah.. sign me up. I love the inverted accents. Really looking forward to this.

Offline noobas4urus

• The Mod Zoo
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 15:52:51 »
Also digging the color inversion accents :cool:  I'm in
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 16:51:14 »
maybe the accents would look better with white legends?

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 17:49:42 »
I'm gathering that this will be all-text, no icons?

I like the current "accents" with swapped base/legend colors.

Agree that there are/have been plenty of RGBY/CMY/Etc accent kits to flesh out this base kit without need for it to include in this IC/GB.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline reidd

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 19:52:52 »
I'm in.

Offline Dan_Boulet

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 21:38:07 »
This looks really good, the R2 1.5u Delete key and R4 1.5u Code keys are great for us Mac users.

One question: what is an “Alt Gr” key?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 22:13:22 »
How about a gray accent spacebar? Or even a separate spacebar kit, although I think you can get those from Oco (unless you include small spacebars for split space or 40% layouts).
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline noobas4urus

• The Mod Zoo
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 23:53:47 »
I would love to see traction on a full grey mod kit (space bar too).  I think it would be really easy to accent other key sets and would look sweet in general with the inverse alphas.
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:15:40 »
I would love to see traction on a full grey mod kit (space bar too).  I think it would be really easy to accent other key sets and would look sweet in general with the inverse alphas.

Seconded!

Offline Lndefinite

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:30:15 »
Dark theme is so dank. I'm in.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:48:48 »

No plans for VIM arrows as it's not relevant to the set theme currently.

maybe the accents would look better with white legends?

I think they'd be too bright for the rest of the set that way.

This looks really good, the R2 1.5u Delete key and R4 1.5u Code keys are great for us Mac users.

One question: what is an “Alt Gr” key?

Alt Gr is another name for the RAlt, most commonly used in layouts such as ANSI-Intl where you need to access sublegend layers. I like having it in my kits since I think it looks neat and some people may find use for it.

How about a gray accent spacebar? Or even a separate spacebar kit, although I think you can get those from Oco (unless you include small spacebars for split space or 40% layouts).

No plans currently for a spacebars kit currently as that's just another kit to worry about hitting MOQ with, and I don't currently see enough interest to develop it.

No plans for a grey mods kit. The plan is keep the colorway uniform and not put effort into child kits that will be difficult to move.

Offline base

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:31:42 »
I'm in on this set as well, probably regardless of what kind of accent pack is settled on.

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:34:10 »
This set would be tricky to use in low light - for those of us who occasionally have to look at our keys. Otherwise, cool concept.

Offline RSC

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:10:41 »

In all honesty, I don't really understand that. First because, at present, this set has no theme, it's just a colourway taken from GMK Doom (RIP). Secondly, I fail to see how having 4 keys with arrow sublegends (that is great for anyone running 60% boards or smaller) can be anything but a plus for this set...

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:14:32 »

In all honesty, I don't really understand that. First because, at present, this set has no theme, it's just a colourway taken from GMK Doom (RIP). Secondly, I fail to see how having 4 keys with arrow sublegends (that is great for anyone running 60% boards or smaller) can be anything but a plus for this set...

Terminals theme was programming etc, where they're relevant. They aren't relevant here.

The keys will add cost, and/or, take up space used for keys to give better compatibility.

If you believe it is "anything but a plus", my suggestion would be to put an IC up yourself, and see how much actual interest there is. I imagine it'll be less than the ISO crowd.

Offline RSC

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:20:32 »

Terminals theme was programming etc, where they're relevant. They aren't relevant here.

The keys will add cost, and/or, take up space used for keys to give better compatibility.

If you believe it is "anything but a plus", my suggestion would be to put an IC up yourself, and see how much actual interest there is. I imagine it'll be less than the ISO crowd.

Rama's Heavy Industry also has arrow keys sublegends and it's not themed for programming. Be that as it may, it's super simple for donutcat to see if there is interest on this or not, just start a poll here. This is an interest check, right?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 16:29:43 »

Rama's Heavy Industry also has arrow keys sublegends and it's not themed for programming. Be that as it may, it's super simple for donutcat to see if there is interest on this or not, just start a poll here. This is an interest check, right?

He can but VIM key's really aren't "anything but a plus." They increase cost for the majority and the majority probably won't even use it.
I wouldn't be opposed to it being in a different kit but then it also will likely not make MOQ. Just doesn't seem necessary.

In the end, I'm pretty sure it's all aesthetics, anyways. If you're constantly using arrows in that layout, I'm pretty sure you don't need legends to know where they are.

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:19:23 »
nice!

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 18:25:10 »
I'd be in for this since I'm an idiot and missed out on Doom. A lack of theme I think is actually a bonus if it can keep the price down.

No VIM caps please.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:02:38 »
I'd be in for this since I'm an idiot and missed out on Doom. A lack of theme I think is actually a bonus if it can keep the price down.

No VIM caps please.

I wouldn't say you "missed out on doom" since capsunlocked aborted his own project last minute. This is the resurrection/continuation of doom without the orange accents (which weren't much of a theme at all tbh).

Agreed on no vim caps in base for added cost that a very small minority of buyers will use. You can always run a separate gb for just vim caps, ortho, 40%, and ISO keys (too soon?) for those that will definitely use them, seeing as the kits usually fail moq the vast majority of the time.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline SingSong

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:00:40 »
So this is like a Cherry Ninja set? Sweet!

Offline krey

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 22:45:43 »
Nice. I am interested in this.

The idea of an inverted colourway sounds good as well.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 23:46:36 »
GMK GOB

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline toastyparty

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:53:23 »
I love this. this is perfect to mix and match with different sets lying around.

Offline jlee755

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:32:23 »
GMK GOB

Show Image

I didn't even know I wanted this until I saw this.

I want a "SAME" key.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 12:11:41 »
I have no interest in the inverse colored accents. The Grey on Black colorway is already available as an epbt set.

Any chance we can move accent keys + ISO to separate kits, in order to make it cheaper for the vast majority?

Seeing as though there is no longer a theme tying the set together, and people basically just want a base kit in this colorway - no need to throw in any extras to a set that is basically half sold already.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 12:16:27 by Yeoh »

Offline JamesShaw

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 12:18:42 »
Nice one!

Show Image

+1 for RGB accents

Yes, please! GMK Grey on Black with RGB mod

Offline Atredl

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 13:32:29 »
Any chance we can move accent keys + ISO to separate kits, in order to make it cheaper for the vast majority?
If the ISO enter key is moved to a separate kit, it won’t get made. We can’t afford to alienate every single ISO country.  Not having their correct legends is one thing. Not being able to cover their keyboards at all, is a completely different story.

Looks like the accent keys have a good amount of support. You’d probably be be outnumbered on that.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 01:47:56 »
If the ISO enter key is moved to a separate kit, it won’t get made. We can’t afford to alienate every single ISO country.  Not having their correct legends is one thing. Not being able to cover their keyboards at all, is a completely different story.

Looks like the accent keys have a good amount of support. You’d probably be be outnumbered on that.

There are already plenty of successfully run GMK sets without any ISO support at all. Moving them to a separate child kit and lowering the base price would probably help sell more sets overall.

This is a keyset that has already generated alot of interest, but doesnt have alot of inspiration as far as a theme at this point. It would make alot more sense if the project was streamlined by running the basic GoB set that everyone was originally interested in, especially if we can do so for a more affordable price compared to other GMK sets.

Also, while there are already a few accent kits out there, im sure there a much broader section of buyers outside this ic that would enjoy a separate gb for an accent kit. Perhaps suited not only to this keyset, but designed to match multiple GMK colorways. I know I would enjoy something like that.

Offline icho

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 04:48:20 »
I'd be in with an additional ISO-DE kit to the base kit.

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 06:34:27 »
I'd be in with an additional ISO-DE kit to the base kit.

As much as I‘d like to see that, ISO-DE is never gonna make it. Just like every other addon kit. Either include it in base or don‘t bother at all.

I think the size of the original doom basekit is the way to go. Good compatibility for everyone without exploding costs.

If you want accents, include it in base or make a separate GB. Considering the participation in the original buy, I really don‘t see anything but a basekit hit moq.

Offline Mearaz

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 08:31:49 »
Split Spacebar in a GMK base set? Am I dreaming? Count me in!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 15:39:32 »

I think the size of the original doom basekit is the way to go. Good compatibility for everyone without exploding costs.

This. Please, don't do anything that'll increase costs. $145 was already high and we only made it a little over halfway for MOQ, last time.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 23:33:30 »
This does really remind of Ninja a lot, I would say the black on the key might be different but overall might want to add some "personality" to differentiate and standout.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:09:31 »
This does really remind of Ninja a lot, I would say the black on the key might be different but overall might want to add some "personality" to differentiate and standout.

SA Ninja has more in common with epbt black on grey than this set, as far as colors go.

This set uses the inverse grey on black, arguably even more stealth than SA Ninja. Indeed, that is literally the appeal to most of the people interested in this project.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 12:52:59 »
My phone kicking the bucket has made it difficult to keep up with comments on all my threads, so I'll try to cover notable stuff since the last update.

Seems that most of the interest here is keeping this fairly plain in the interest of cost. To that extent, I think The current base kit is where it needs to be to do this: good compatibility with just a touch of accents. GMK charges a flat fee per color that's included in the kit, therefore cutting the base kit here down by removing the orange should have brought the price down enough to justify the increased compatibility.

Currently I have the set mocked up with text only mods. I enjoy text only, but I know mod options are pretty controversial, so I'll check what the opinion is on that.

Still no plan for VIM arrows. That'd be five dupes in the kit that the majority of people won't be using and that don't add any alternate layout support, so "dead" keys for the most part.

ISO is a touchy subject. I personally am of the opinion that minimal ISO support is a small price to pay in order to open the set up for a not insignificant proportion of people in the community. At the minimum I advocate carrying the bare four keys needed to physically support any number of ISO layouts even though the legends won't. Currently in the base I have a total of nine keys for ISO support and I think that's fine, but if need be I can poll if people would like to pinch ~$2-$3 from cutting back.

Accents are also a bit of a situation to work with. I figure the four simple ones in the base kit are fine for now. In regards to the RGB ones, I'm not sure what exactly to do with them right now. If I cut that kit down to like Esc and Enters and kept them as a single kit, that could work as well. Maybe a separate buy for the accents would be good, but also consider the fact that as a child kit they only need 100 MOQ instead of the 150 MOQ as a separate buy. There's always costs and benefits to each choice in kits.

I'll leave with a couple of polls to see where we stand on some of this

RGB Accents - https://www.strawpoll.me/15889870

Mods - https://www.strawpoll.me/15889895

If I missed anything lemme know and I'll try to catch it next time I have a chance.

Offline RSC

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 13:56:51 »
If there's no ISO support with legends, I'm instantly out.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 15:13:01 »
If there's no ISO support with legends, I'm instantly out.

I should have specified "proper" legend support, as in no ¬, '', or £ on ~, 2, and 3, or '@ key, so just ISO Enter, R3 #~ key, ISO Shift, and R4 \| key. So it's still legends, just bare minimum.

Offline Atredl

[IC] GMK Grey on Black
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 15:41:50 »
No! Text mods are losing. There aren’t enough text only option out there.

Offline dohmain

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 23:29:11 »

Alt Gr is another name for the RAlt, most commonly used in layouts such as ANSI-Intl where you need to access sublegend layers. I like having it in my kits since I think it looks neat and some people may find use for it.

Would it be possible to still include both standard Alt keys per size along with the AltGr keys?
The AltGr is really killing this for me.

Offline Dan_Boulet

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 00:14:28 »
To me, the icon + text mods wouldn’t fit for this set. The whole point of the dark grey on black colourway is to have subtle, minimal legends, and text-only mods help achieve that.

Offline RSC

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 01:34:44 »
I agree with this. Text mods only please.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:56:33 »

Would it be possible to still include both standard Alt keys per size along with the AltGr keys?

If it seems like a problem I'll switch back to just Alt since I wouldn't want to fluff the kit with useless dupes.

Good news is text mods are currently in the lead by 22%.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:05:30 »
I'm definitely interested
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:40:07 »
The real solution is to never use ISO tbh

Also interested  :p

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:46:36 »

If it seems like a problem I'll switch back to just Alt since I wouldn't want to fluff the kit with useless dupes.

Good news is text mods are currently in the lead by 22%.

Would appreciate another alt vs alt gr.

I have to admit, I impulsively voted icon mods. I got swept up in the hype, but thankfully ive come to my senses and realized I was wrong to do so.

Forgiveness please!

Offline scud80

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 00:08:31 »
i might be interested in this.  i'm curious about the possibility of a blanks kit for ergodox to run alongside it.  they would likely offer a lower MOQ for that since it would be small and all blanks, and it would then make any GMK set with a black base color usable on ergodox.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 00:23:15 »
i might be interested in this.  i'm curious about the possibility of a blanks kit for ergodox to run alongside it.  they would likely offer a lower MOQ for that since it would be small and all blanks, and it would then make any GMK set with a black base color usable on ergodox.

if donut doesn't do this i can add it to my agenda for blank sets

but might not be possible with JTK, they have a weird process
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 01:11:39 »

Terminal is already basically doing this. N9 instead of true black, but I'm not sure there's much that actually uses full black. Plus the prices really aren't that good based on past ergodox kits.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 02:10:54 »

Terminal is already basically doing this. N9 instead of true black, but I'm not sure there's much that actually uses full black. Plus the prices really aren't that good based on past ergodox kits.

Terminal’s N9 Ergodox kit would match too since the legends of GoB are N9

Offline scud80

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 09:26:35 »
zero interest in an n9 blanks set.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 16:43:59 »
Unfortunately I'm not interested in devoting time to designing and having quoted a child kit that will cost more than people want to pay, struggle to hit MOQ, and cause people to drop base kit orders when the kit doesn't hit MOQ, especially when Terminal is getting ready to run a very similar kit that will most likely draw in the people that would want it. Maybe in the future a dedicated CR Ergodox kit could be run, but I don't think it belongs with this set.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 19:02:17 »
Unfortunately I'm not interested in devoting time to designing and having quoted a child kit that will cost more than people want to pay, struggle to hit MOQ, and cause people to drop base kit orders when the kit doesn't hit MOQ, especially when Terminal is getting ready to run a very similar kit that will most likely draw in the people that would want it. Maybe in the future a dedicated CR Ergodox kit could be run, but I don't think it belongs with this set.

^ Yeah, lets just keep this set as simple as possible.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 13:19:50 »
Small update since this hasn't been poked in a bit, looks like 61%+ want RGB accents to be another GB as opposed to tacked onto this one, and ~59% want text only mods over text+icon, so that's the way I'll be heading with this. Once images are back up working on here I'll post current mockups, see if everyone's happy with those, then start talking with Cartel about the set since there's really not a whole lot more to do with it developmentally.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #100 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 13:59:12 »
Small update since this hasn't been poked in a bit, looks like 61%+ want RGB accents to be another GB as opposed to tacked onto this one, and ~59% want text only mods over text+icon, so that's the way I'll be heading with this. Once images are back up working on here I'll post current mockups, see if everyone's happy with those, then start talking with Cartel about the set since there's really not a whole lot more to do with it developmentally.
Works for me :thumb:

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 20:35:25 »

hey donut! Any updates on the visual mockups? I'm still super interested in this set!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 22:26:04 »

hey donut! Any updates on the visual mockups? I'm still super interested in this set!

I'll work on them tomorrow, seems like either pictures are fixed or most people have the plugin for them by now.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:20:32 »
Alright, so I accidentally locked myself out of my account yesterday, so here's the current mockup today instead:

Pending any major complaints I can start talking with Cartel about the set.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 13:30:25 »
Alright, so I accidentally locked myself out of my account yesterday, so here's the current mockup today instead:
Show Image

Pending any major complaints I can start talking with Cartel about the set.

Thanks, Donut! I'm ready for this one, as I had already bought in months ago for the previous DOOM set. Hope we can make it happen.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:53:38 »
Love this colorway, but depending on pricing, im probably out.

Just cant justify spending money on extra keys I dont need anymore (ISO). GMK sets are getting so bloated as it is, and this set isnt even that bad.

A few dollars will make the difference for me, either way.

Offline ill789

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:24:35 »
Any update on this?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 20:06:49 »
Any update on this?

Cartel and I are communicating in the background about the details of the set, but both of us also have other stuff that's going on that requires our attention.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 00:30:00 »
Love this colorway, but depending on pricing, im probably out.

Just cant justify spending money on extra keys I dont need anymore (ISO). GMK sets are getting so bloated as it is, and this set isnt even that bad.

A few dollars will make the difference for me, either way.

Pretty much the same for me. I love the appearance and material/doubleshot construction of GMK sets, but I really wish there was a manufacturer that produced decent Cherry-profile sets in more modular kits.

Offline Minh2463

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 03:01:51 »
Looking good for someone who like Black On Black font on keycap like me

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 23:21:14 »
:eyes:

At this point, I'm gonna enter for either monochrome or Grey on black, whichever comes first.

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 05:25:40 »
Bump - let's get this rolling

Offline toastyparty

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:40:35 »
yes please!

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 14:26:22 »
I am ready!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline x86ect

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 10:41:55 »
Gentle bump  :)

Stealth caps
Stealth caps
Stealth caps

Offline x86ect

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 11:08:41 »
Do you know what this is?   ... that's right, it's a tacticool keyboard with GMK Grey on Black
Do you know what this is?   ... almost right, it's a ninja using GMK Grey on Black
What about this one?          ... Nope, it's a Navy Seal posing with his GMK Grey on Black
And this?                           ... Not even close... it's a Stealth Bomber pilot typing in coordinates for the next strike, using his GMK Grey on Black.

See how versatile this set is?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 11:16:33 »
Haven't really heard back from Cartel on the set, though I know they're pretty busy, particularly End is busy dealing with irl stuff, so I haven't really pushed it. Maybe it'll happen soon, maybe not for a bit, but it will happen that's for sure.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 20:05:18 »
What do you think boys, let's make this happen <3

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:56:39 »
GB when? I'd totally get one of this.

Offline x86ect

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:13:59 »
nice bump!

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 07:57:04 »
I was just thinking about this the other day.  I'm still in.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:36:58 »
I'll have to hit up Cartel again and see if they're ready to move forward with this since it's up to them.

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 13:03:06 »
Would you consider a 2 unit spacebar as well?
I'd love to throw those on my Alice

Offline dilkROM

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 17:48:29 »
Gonna be watching this but unsure if my wallet will allow me to jump in. A bit sad because I'm a big MF Doom fan so that previous (similar) set is a shame for me it fell through. Regardless, I wasn't following it at the time so I suppose I would've missed it anyway.

Eager to see where this one goes!

Offline Von Steve

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 16:50:09 »
yeah hope this comes to fruition

Offline yap68

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 04:29:52 »
Really looking forward. Hope it will happen soon.

Will go well with the upcoming accent kits from OCO.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2019, 04:34:10 by yap68 »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 13:27:14 »
Would you consider a 2 unit spacebar as well?
I'd love to throw those on my Alice

Would be great to have a spacebar kit with 1u, 1.25u, 2u, 2.25u, and 2.25u. More people than ever are in need of these keys.

Offline aleck

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 12:58:57 »
So... did this die...?

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 13:14:28 »
So... did this die...?

I hope not. I'd love to have this for Jane V2 CE.

Offline Rezoria

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 23:51:02 »
Haven't really heard back from Cartel on the set, though I know they're pretty busy, particularly End is busy dealing with irl stuff, so I haven't really pushed it. Maybe it'll happen soon, maybe not for a bit, but it will happen that's for sure.

Donut, not to necro a year-old old thread but is there any chance this set will be released? Made an account just to ask as I like this colorway a ton.

Offline krzank

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 07:11:54 »
Love it, want it.
Entire set with swapped colors? (as an option, not instead).