Author Topic: [build log] Maltron Deuce; a 185% split ergo keyboard project  (Read 6994 times)

Offline T14

Howdy.

This thread will document my attempt to rebuild two Maltron single hand keyboards into a split 185% keyboard system for a shared university office space.
As this is my first build log, I will likely make a mess of the post formatting initially, so please bear with me as I get my text and picture attachments in order after submitting the first few posts.

Project goals:
  • Project is to be hand wired
  • main keywells will be 122 keys with up to an additional 70 keys accessible in two extra clusters
  • Access to alphanumerics and symbols with a minimum of modifier and layer use
  • any macro keys should be reprogrammable on the fly, if possible
  • Silenced keys due to shared office space
  • Incorporates HID switch for use with two computers, each with their own screen
  • Incorporates some kind of Audio switch and control.
  • USB passthrough (hub) for additional devices

Project Background:
I dabble in human anatomy as well as engineering. Ergonomics is a hobby of mine, and I have long been frustrated with small keyboards that require extensive use of modifiers in order to access the symbols commonly used in mathematical programming.

I own a kinesis contoured already, but have been unhappy with the unsplit design, too narrow separation of hands for my liking, and far too few keys. The maltron 3D is only marginally better, so is not an option.

After purchasing a used 1H maltron on a whim, I fell in love with the solid biomechanical considerations in its keywell design as well as the generous number of keys immediately available. If coupled with a mirrored twin, we get a split design right out of the box. Hurray!

First order of business was to tear down my pre-owned right hand keyboard, in order to salvage the shell for use in the project.
The 2007 donor is well used with lots of grime and indeterminate organic matter on the keycaps and in all the nooks and crannies.
I took lots of photos during the teardown and cleanup progress, but almost all the pictures ended up blurry, so I only have a couple to show for my efforts :( Oh Well.
197570-0
As the Maltron keyboards are hand soldered using enamelled magnet wire, it was a rats nest of copper and solder. I have little patience for painstakingly cleaning up MX blacks drenched in solder, so I ended up just snipping all the magnet wire and popping out the keys in short order. Next was a windex shower, followed by a warm soapy bath, a little elbow grease and a rinse in cold water. I then hung the shell up to dry.
197572-1
(edit: sorry about the rotation snafu, not sure how to fix)
197578-2
Next up: Planning the build: Personalized ergonomics, switch weights and layout mockup. Oh, and punishing my wallet.
Stay tuned.  :thumb:
-T14

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:22:14 by T14 »
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline T14

Re: [build log] Maltron Deuce; a 185% split ergo keyboard project
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:43:52 »
Interlude:  ;)

Here we are.  A Freshly sun-dried maltron case.

A couple of issues:
- Making use of the top row of holes would bring the switch number from 192 to 220... complete overkill. I'll need to make a cover plate somehow. Maybe use that real estate for something rotary encoder based. Hmmm.
- I want two vertical 2u keys for each thumb cluster. This calls for yet another cover plate in the bottom 3x2 section of each thumb section with a modified cutout arrangement to suit my needs. 1mm steel should do the trick.
- The stock LED arrangement is useless to me. I will plug the holes and paint the plugs to blend in with the case, then add my own indicator LEDs somewhere that suits my intended layout better.
- There is an annoying black smudge on the wrist rest. Denatured alcohol barely makes a dent in it. Maybe I can hide it with a carefully color matched dab of paint, or maybe some padding.
- It would be pretty neat If I could integrate a mousing device somehow. Maybe a trackpoint or a hacked up rollermouse. Hmmm...

Stay tuned.
-T14
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 13:31:22 by T14 »

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 15:00:46 »
very cool project :) do you already have the left side (sorry if I skipped that)?

Offline T14

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 16:01:16 »
Howdy.

I am in the process of ordering a shell for the other hand directly from Maltron in the UK.
As I will be populating it with a mix of ZealPC zilent switches and Cherry mx silent reds, as well as using a teensy or two for brains, I just need the shell.
Luckily for me the good people at Maltron are willing to sell me one  :thumb:

I have also just ordered a good chunk of the aforementioned switch types and a sack of keycaps from Signature plastics and massdrop.

I also have access to a few electronics labs on campus (Not my speciality at all), but I have been soldering off and on for more than a decade, so I hope the hardware side of things goes without major hiccups. Fingers crossed.

Offline T14

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 18:50:24 »
Personal Ergonomics, typing habits and switch selection - wall of text time!

Prior to teardown, I spent some time evaluating how my hand fit the keywells, and what keys were easily reachable.

I do partial touch typing only , and my pinky and ring fingers are most effective when only deviating +/- 1 from the home row.

The single hand keyboard is not designed to be used in pairs, and allocates 16 keys to the pinky and 8 to the ring finger, so my typing habits are at odds with the philosophy of use of the design. I intend to circumvent the issue by allocating rarely used keys to these locations.
My choice of large keyboard size allows me to create a layout that minimizes the use of modifiers. And by having large keywells for the thumbs, I again cater to my lazy pinky preference. I hope it works out.

Anyways.
KLE does not seem to have enough horizontal space for recreating the full keyboard, so I'll be focusing on the keywells for the time being.
I have assigned a reachability metric to each key according to how easily I could do a keypress with my hand resting on the palm rest. 1 is great and 5 is impossible.

This was with maltron keycaps installed, which are very similar to SP's DSA profile. As the keyset will primarily be DSA, my metric should hopefully still represent how my hand fits the finished keyboard. I will also have access to SA and XDA keys for some characters, so I hope some of the hard-to-reach upper corners will get fixed, at least partially.

197631-0

Next are switch selections and placement. I have chosen to use Zilent tactile switches from Zeal PC for alphanumerics and symbols (blue hues). 78g, 67g and 62g weights, with the heaviest used for important thumb keys and most of the home row. Mr pinky gets special treatment, though. Alphas and index finger symbols + nav keys get medium weights, while the remaining get off easy.

In order to differentiate these keys from the remaining utility keys, I have chosen linear silent reds (shown in red, duh) for the remainder.
Thus the character keys get tactile feedback while utility keys do not. Strong fingers also get heavier switches than weak fingers, and hard to reach spots get lighter switches than easy to reach spots.

Hopefully the above graphic makes sense to other people than me.  ;)

Layout thoughts:
As an academic, I both write a lot, and also dabble in mathematical programming. I need easy access to letters and programming symbols.
I would rather avoid endless modifier combos, so a large keyboard size helps.
The alphanumeric layout is basically nordic qwerty, but with the E transplanted to the left thumb.
The frequently used symbols are clustered within easy reach of  the middle and index fingers, as per my preference.
The nav keys are placed in two mirrored inverted Ts. The arrow keys are surrounded by "safe" utility keys to minimize frustration if mistypes occur.
197633-1
This is my first draft. As I have yet to decide whether to wire up each half as an independent keyboard or to connect the matrix rows in each half using a cable, some of the layer issues may force several changes related to layer sensitive keys. But I am pretty happy about layout of the non-utility keys.

Stay tuned!
-T14
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 01:07:09 by T14 »

Offline whytwokay

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:06:26 »
WOW! This is a huge project, man! I can't wait to see how it turns out!!  :thumb:

Offline T14

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 07:22:13 »
Two computers - one HID cluster and a USB switch

The mailman brought me a ugreen USB switch today.

I want to add it to the inside of the right hand keyboard shell, and replace the button with a panel mounted version of the top of the keyboard. I might even sacrifice a keyboard button for one, as I work on two computers concurrently.

Decision time:
I am leaning towards having each keyboard half work as an independent keyboard with each having a dedicated teensy.
This would make wiring much simpler, as the LH shell just connects to the RH USB hub. Being 3.0 should provide ample power for two unlit keyboards and a CST trackball.
As I hope to avoid using layers I can see few downsides to this approach. Am I missing some cons?

A non-electronic schematic of how I envision the switch integration is shown below. All switch sockets are connected to the keyboard shells using panel mount sockets.
197862-0

I will be hacking the switch open in the next day or two. I might get a replacement switch with extra pole pairs, so i can switch between analog audio inputs at the same time.
Stay tuned  :thumb:
-T14

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2018, 13:37:12 by T14 »

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:50:37 »
Very cool project!

May I ask how much the new empty Maltron case set you back? Is this something that Maltron would sell to anybody, or do you have a special connection to them?

Offline T14

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:59:38 »
Very cool project!

May I ask how much the new empty Maltron case set you back? Is this something that Maltron would sell to anybody, or do you have a special connection to them?

I think they will sell to anyone, as they have a diy kit order form on their website. A normal two handed shell will set you back GBP 65.
I am still waiting to hear back from them what a 1H shell with my bespoke cutout pattern will amount to. Once I get that I'll be happy to share with the community :)

Cheers
-T14

Offline T14

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:05:04 »
Preparing the USB switch part 1:

It was a simple case of prying the USB switch apart.

Inside there is a square smd pushbutton switch with four terminals, and two LEDs that I need to mount in the keyboard case.
 I am guessing it is a 1p1t switch, but I will need to desolder it and probe at it with a multimeter to make sure. I'll then order a panel mount replacement.
I'll do that later this week.

Today I used my lunch break to desolder the indicator LEDs from the PCBs and extend them using some scrap wire. I sleeved them using heatshrink in anticipation of avoiding too much wire tangle when the case goes together. The indicator LEDs are extremely dim, and not really legible in normal office light. But at least the device survived my heavy-handed surgery. :)
197939-0
In other news, I just ordered a Teensy++ 2.0, a teensy 2.0, an adafruit trinket, a lighted rotary encoder and a transparent knob. Keycaps and switches are in transit. 

Stay tuned.
-T14

Offline T14

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:49:16 »
Firmware thoughts - Leaning towards qmk

I have started to reseach firmware, and QMK looks pretty good so far.
My understanding is as follows:
having each half act as independent keyboards means that layer activation works completely separately on each half.
The PC does not differentiate between boards, in terms of incoming scancodes. So pressing F2_left = F2_right, etc.

Niggling issues.
- It seems that autohotkey assigned to unique keycodes is the best way to implement macros
- Having access to 70 dedicated macro keys seems impossible using standard wares.
- QMK seems to support F1-F24 only (12 macro keys here)
- This means I will need to sacrifice the numpad, and use these keycodes with autohotkey. (+17 macro keys)
- dedicated terminal keys like scrollLock, Pause and CapsLock will also do macro duty (+3 macro keys)

This leaves me about 30 or so dedicated key shy of what I would like  :(
A possible solution would be to do a hardware transplant of a 32 key Tipro or similar onto one of the shells. This then gets connected to the internal USB hub.
Another solution would be to scale back the macro ambition, implement a faux numpad using alphanumeric keycodes and then have a F1-F12 key cluster above that. (depicted below)

Thoughts?
-T14
197975-0197977-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2018, 07:48:13 by T14 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 08:12:51 »
Very cool, never seen a letter on a thumb key but why not :thumb:

Have you looked into modifying the keyboard firmware to allow more macros?  If you use a Teensy 2.0++ it has 4x the flash storage of a standard Teensy so it would be strange if it weren't possible to have more.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline T14

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 15:40:06 »
Very cool, never seen a letter on a thumb key but why not :thumb:

Thumb-E is standard in the Maltron layout.
In the past I tried making a bilingual frequency-optimized layout, but it is damned hard to unlearn 20 years of Qwerty. So this time I'm just moving the E, and hoping that this minor change is easier to get used to.

Have you looked into modifying the keyboard firmware to allow more macros?  If you use a Teensy 2.0++ it has 4x the flash storage of a standard Teensy so it would be strange if it weren't possible to have more.

This is likely me not having fully understood how things work. I am completely new to the keyboard hobby and also to autohotkey.

My understanding is as follows:
- The firmware understands physical key location using a mapped out matrix read via the I/O pins.
- The firmware keymap defines what scancodes are sent via USB to the OS.
- Autohotkey assigns macros to unique scancodes, thereby limiting the amount of physical macro keys I am allowed to have.

What am I missing?

In other news my parts are starting to trickle in. Most stuff is in still in transit, but I got my MX silenced red this morning :)
-T14

Offline geek128

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 03:32:47 »
- The firmware understands physical key location using a mapped out matrix read via the I/O pins.
- The firmware keymap defines what scancodes are sent via USB to the OS.
- Autohotkey assigns macros to unique scancodes, thereby limiting the amount of physical macro keys I am allowed to have.

you're spot on.

In addition to that, you can have the keyboard firmware send several scancodes on a single key-press - though, this limits such "macros" to stuff you can do by keyboard, already.

There's no way around autohotkey (or similar) when you want "macros" for things you can't do by keyboard, already.

Nitpick: AHK is limited to scancodes the OS is supporting. There are quite some scancodes popular OSes don't support by default.

Not sure if AHK is supporting this, but you may look into a combination of both - have AHK listen to a sequence of scancodes: Use one of the unused keycodes followed by something else to trigger AHK macros... and make the keyboard send such sequences on a single key press.

Offline T14

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 07:51:59 »
Aha! so... if I can sacrifice the numpad scancodes for AHK macro use AND send scancode combinations using firmware, that may be the solution I am looking for:

So numpad2 and CTRL+numpad2 can be assigned to to two different physical keys on the keyboard side and be assigned to two different macros by AHK on the OS side?

Cheers for the input!  :thumb:

Offline geek128

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 08:59:59 »
with sequence I was thinking of something equivalent to pushing keys in sequence.

for example use F13 as 'next key is the macro' key and any other key/letter/... to indicate the macro. If you'll sniff the conversation between keyboard + OS you'll see something like:

• F13 pressed
  • F13 released
  • 1 pressed
  • 1 released

in QMK (and many other firmware) you can use Macros to have this sequence sent on a single key press.

You might be able to get similar results with chording (=holding/pushing down two keys at the same time), but at first this 'feels' wrong.

Offline Nlight

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:51:06 »
Wow, I'll be damn ! This much keys is overwhelming ! When done, I am curious to see your hand in action on it

Offline T14

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:36:04 »
with sequence I was thinking of something equivalent to pushing keys in sequence.

for example use F13 as 'next key is the macro' key and any other key/letter/... to indicate the macro. If you'll sniff the conversation between keyboard + OS you'll see something like:

• F13 pressed
  • F13 released
  • 1 pressed
  • 1 released

in QMK (and many other firmware) you can use Macros to have this sequence sent on a single key press.

You might be able to get similar results with chording (=holding/pushing down two keys at the same time), but at first this 'feels' wrong.

Gotcha... I think. It will be a fun challenge to learn qmk and hopefully get this behemoth to work.
Most of my macro needs revolve around being able to insert text strings for mathematical programming in various thermodynamic software packages. I realize full time programmers have 1001 ways of doing this sort of thing with extensible text editors, but I thought this approach might be fun :)

Wow, I'll be damn ! This much keys is overwhelming ! When done, I am curious to see your hand in action on it

Sure thing. It will be slow going at first, but I'd be happy to oblige regardless.

In other news... the mail trickle continues. 3 controller boards and a fistful of panel mountable adapter cables.
I am debating whether to punch individual holes for these in the back of the case, or do the holes in a recessed steel dish and then mount that in the back of the case. hmmm...
198247-0
Next up is to use the adafruit trinket and the rotary encoder to make a volume knob with push-to-mute functionality.
stay tuned  :thumb:

Offline T14

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:15:07 »
Minor Update:

So... the left hand shell came in from Maltron yesterday. The price ended up being £38 + VAT & Shipping

199411-0 199413-1

The bowl switch cutout pattern is slightly different between the two halves:
(1) The new shell has an extra switch in the bottom row, and (2) the outer thumb button cutout is missing.
- The old shell does not have room for a full bottom row, so I'll have to cover the extra hole on the left to attain symmetry.
- The outer thumb buttons should either both be there, or absent altogether. I'll have a think about that.

My 120 ZealPC Zilent switches are still in transit, so I have only installed the cherry silent reds so far. I really should add a couple of obnoxiously loud clicky switches for flavour.
Any suggestions as to which ones?  ;D
199415-2

-T14
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:40:05 by T14 »

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:32:30 »
I recommend the NovelKeys Box Navy Thick Clicks.  They're deliciously loud.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:45:54 »
This project is so cool. I would love to see a reddit post when the project is done!

Offline T14

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 12:30:55 »
Hot solder joints and cold cocktails
I am bending the diodes into little hooks and soldering them onto the back of each individual switch. (Enlarge pic for details)
200255-0
This is going to take awhile :D
(Added 7 box navies to the silenced lineup for flavour. Cheers for the suggestion, Crash!)
200257-1
I decided to forego the outermost thumb switches.
The covered cutout on the right will be hidden behind a 32mm volume thumb jog wheel
-T14
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 July 2018, 14:51:21 by T14 »