Author Topic: [IC] "0081-08G"  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Kuyo

[IC] "0081-08G"
« on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:23:25 »
Hey everyone, the other day I ran my first IC on keebtalk for a little project I've been working on for a bit that I'm calling "0081-08G", and from the feedback I got on there and discord and after finalizing the layout, I thought for the second IC I'd post it to here also so more people can see it.

199936-0

I'm still working on out the Pcb details., so when I work out the specifics I'll edit or reply to this post.

The standard case will be constructed from FR4 similar to the Contra 40% from Cartel so that I can keep the costs as low as possible.

I’m also trying to work with some vendors to see if they can bundle some switches into the kit, with a slightly discounted price on the switches.

Other than the switch bundle, I have some other add-on ideas to improve the appearance of the standard board. I definitely plan on at least adding support for a WS2812B RGB strip to be wired on, like the Contra. Let me know what you guys think about these other ideas and I'll see what I can do to add them as options to the kit.

Heres what I'm thinking about adding as add-ons to the base kit.
  • Acrylic middle layer
  • Acrylic Hi-Pro layer
  • RGB strip

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline dimo

Re: [IC] "0081-08G"
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:25:25 »
Interesting layout! I like it.

I’ll be waiting to see the design of the case (:

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 14:30:33 »
Pretty neat. Perhaps make it a compact 1800 instead to lose some of the size, it'd make it a little cheaper.

Feel free to reach out if you want some guidance/tips with this sort of thing!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:01:49 »
Certainly an interesting idea. And I love the name!  :thumb:

However, I'd be concerned with usability due to how offset to the right the spacebar is.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:22:58 »

However, I'd be concerned with usability due to how offset to the right the spacebar is.

I think it is on the edge of the useable range for the left thumb, as it looks to be shifted by about 1U, so I agree it may be an issue or it may just barely work.

I like the concept and the name is a nice touch.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 16:30:24 »
Pretty neat. Perhaps make it a compact 1800 instead to lose some of the size, it'd make it a little cheaper.

Feel free to reach out if you want some guidance/tips with this sort of thing!
Had the same idea and made a mockup in KLE. Actually looks pretty sweet with the reverse compact 1800. Although I do like the idea of the reverse regular 1800.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 16:48:18 »
lol great name  :))
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Kuyo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 22:06:30 »

The spacebar starts right around the right edge of the C key and for me personally, my left thumb goes to about the middle of the B key so I don't think it will be an issue but thanks for pointing it out I'll see if I can get a concept layout that hopefully shifts the spacebar to the left a little more than it is now.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 22:52:25 »
The spacebar starts right around the right edge of the C key and for me personally, my left thumb goes to about the middle of the B key so I don't think it will be an issue but thanks for pointing it out I'll see if I can get a concept layout that hopefully shifts the spacebar to the left a little more than it is now.

That cuts it pretty close for me as I typically have my thumb around the middle of the "V" key or directly below the "F" key depending on how I happen to have my hand placed. I suspect I am not the only one but who knows...

Offline sheepish.alpaca

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 02:04:41 »
Glad to finally see a left-handed numpad support a mirrored layout so the left thumb can rest on the big-0, rather than just move a right-handed numpad to the lest hand side.

That said, probably not gonna get this, if only because I'm not into full-size (full-size+?) keyboards anymore.