Author Topic: Happy but slightly worried about what I am getting myself into...  (Read 1963 times)

Offline dw7979

Hello, everyone.

I have found geekhack through my attempts at finding THE right keyboard for me.
Having had a HHKB then a filco and some leopolds I got to a point where I wanted a fully customizable keyboard.

I just ordered parts for dz60 pcb so soon I'll be on my way down the rabbit hole looking for the (my)holy grail of all keyboards.

It is my hope to be able to participate in group buys (KEYCAPS!) and get a lot of knowledge about custom world of keyboards.

Thank you :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Happy but slightly worried about what I am getting myself into...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 06:21:50 »
Welcome to geekhack!

Sounds like you're one of the few who's tried the HHKB kool aid and wasn't overly impressed, hopefully that means you're equipped with the sense to learn that attempts to find  'the one' are unlikely to be successful and have driven many to the verge of insanity :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline dw7979

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 10:41:35 »
Thank you, suicidal_orange.

Don't get me wrong I am using HHKB as my main keyboard. And I like it but few things bother me too much :mad:
I like how they sound subdued and overall build quality of it.
It is just that I want to customize the key layout somewhat so that I can reduce hand movement as much as possible.

Hence my search for my own keyboard and the direction I am going which is diy solution.

Once all the parts arrive I'll build one so that the direction keys and the numpad are under the right hand without moving.

But I have a sneakying suspicion that I won't be satisfied with that and will be looking for another one :rolleyes:

I have THE disease...sleepless nights, dreaming of keyboards :-[

Offline aidalgol

• aidalgolland
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 23:38:57 »
Sounds like you're further down the rabbit hole than I am.  I only have an ErgoDox, an Atreus, and just got an Iris.  I thought I'd buy an ErgoDox and that would be it, but here I am.  There is no going back, I guess.

Offline dw7979

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 06:18:09 »
Sounds like you're further down the rabbit hole than I am.  I only have an ErgoDox, an Atreus, and just got an Iris.

Well... says the guy using THREE split ergonomic keyboards! :D

I would LOVE to try all those 'unusual' layouts but as I may have to use other people's keyboards at times I thought to myself I shouldn't deviate far from the 'norm' :(
Hence 60% DIY keyboard idea.

Even the ortholinear layout gives me concerns that I may not be able to adapt quickly enough.

Only if I could unify ALL layouts in the world to my own specification, I reject them all except MINE >:D