Author Topic: Any good keyboards with ml-like switches, under $100 CAD?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
Any good keyboards with ml-like switches, under $100 CAD?
« on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 11:12:16 »
I am looking at the g84 currently... if you know anything better around the same price, or cheaper but not particularly or at all worse, change my mind on it.

I want ml-like switches since they have smaller size, and smaller travel, and i have limited range of my fingers and limited space on my desk.

I will consider any keyboard that fits these specifications, whether it's of old, new, or experimental standards!
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline Findecanor

Re: Any good keyboards with ml-like switches, under $100 CAD?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 11:41:04 »
There are keyboards with Kailh PG1350 series switches, marketed as "Kailh Chocolate Switch" or "Kailh Choc".
The keyboards I have seen have been full size or tenkeyless. Some with backlighting. Some wireless.
I'm not sure which one of these has what: Azio MK-C, Sharkoon Purewriter, DAREU EK820, Havit HV-KB390L and HV-KB395L.
There are surely more models. I suspect that some that I listed were made by the same OEM that makes them for multiple brands with different options.

The key switches are about the same height at Cherry ML, but not compatible. The varieties are linear, clicky and lightly tactile, supposedly more close to Cherry MX clones in feel. I have not tried one myself yet.
Kailh also makes an even smaller variant of that switch: Kailh PG1232 series, called "Mini Choc", but I have not seen proof of that keyboard being in any production keyboard yet.

There are also DIY kits for the "Choc" switches but all I have seen so far have been ortholinear with no larger keys, i.e. no stabilisers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 October 2018, 11:42:54 by Findecanor »

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 11:46:04 »
havit seems to be the only keyboards that you've listed which are available near me it seems, but this beats the price of the g84 and has a fair bitt nicer of looks. thanks!

will still be considering any more suggestions anyone has, I have until friday before I make my purchase.
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 10:55:16 »
In my opinion I think Havit will be a better choice because of tenkeyless layout (less crammed) however on Canadian amazon it only sells blue switch so it depend on how much you like the click sound lol (personally I think it's fun for 10 minutes then it start to drive me crazy).

That being said I do have an extra G84-4100 to sell if you're interested, I literally bought it to try ML switch but otherwise it's barely used.  You can send me a p.m. if you're interested.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden