Author Topic: Home built vacuum desoldering station  (Read 2204 times)

Offline sexzual

Home built vacuum desoldering station
« on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 19:25:19 »
Greetings. I desolder a lot of mechanical keyboard switches. When I started doing this, I was using a simple bulb sucker and iron. Once I started doing more and more switches, and after sampling some higher end units, I decided to step up to a professional unit and bought a $700 edsyn zd500dx. It changed how I did things. It is / was a great machine. But like just about every desoldering station, it had a lot of seals and consumables that needed replacing, and with the amount of desoldering I do, it needed these fairly often. Parts weren't outrageously expensive, but at the same time, to me, more expensive than they should be. Not only that, but they had to be special ordered and took time to arrive. This down time cost me money.

Once while I was waiting for parts to arrive for my edsyn, I decided to try my hand at making my own desoldering station using the best concepts from the stations I had seen and tried, along with a few ideas of my own.

To my surprise, my design worked just as well, in fact slightly better than my edsyn! I continued to develop it, and this is the final result. After some revisions, it's now significantly faster than my edsyn and with no clogs and far less parts to wear out. This desoldering iron is all I use now.

I posted it to Reddit a little while ago along with a video of it. The reaction I got was way more than expected. Many people reached out to me asking if I would be selling them / when they'd be available. I hadn't set out to produce them for sale, but that's the way it's headed now with the support of the community.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Home built vacuum desoldering station
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 22:49:10 »
Nice work, these have absolutely been overpriced for way too long.

I have been thinking of hooking a vacuum pump to my desoldering bulb for a while now, and after seeing this, I see no reason not to. Just need a reservoir to catch the solder before entering the pump, and that's not too hard to do.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline kriminal

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 11:20:48 »
This is awesome

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 14:08:45 »
This is awesome! Do you have the link to the reddit post/video?
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline sexzual

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 15:51:38 »