Author Topic: The 413 - a handwired 13 columns ortho  (Read 3759 times)

Offline ctrl

The 413 - a handwired 13 columns ortho
« on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:24:05 »
The 413
a handwired 13 columns ortho

Concept:
I've been interested in trying an ortho build for some time, but was always hesitant because of one thing: the inability to use a Swedish layout in a satisfactory manner with a regular 12 column ortho.

There always seemed to be one column lacking in order to squeeze those extra vowels in there without either a) layering them or b) moving crucial modifier keys elsewhere. I'm also interested in alternative layouts like Dvorak, but implementing something as experimental as a Swedish Dvorak layout would end up facing the same problem. One column lacking. This was the starting point.

The solution seemed simple enough. Just add one more column. In order to avoid shifting the 2u spacekey either left or right or, even worse, going for a 3u spacekey, a split spacekey of 2x 1.5u more fitting. This would also mean no stabs.

Example layouts:
213943-0

This is to show how 13 columns allow for an ortho ISO layout (the extra letters in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and German as well as the extra symbol keys in a UK layout). I'm well aware that shifting R4 1u to the right might not be in everyone's taste, maybe not even the best of ideas, but this is to illustrate that with 13 columns it's possible to allow for exotic split LShift layouts.

213945-1

However, u/VaclavKucera rightfully pointed out that it also allows for a reverse T nav cluster in the bottom right corner.

First steps towards a build:
213947-2

I'm throwing myself headfirst into this. I've never handwired anything, let alone soldered anything, but here I am, dead set on making this prototype. I just need to have this idea out of my mind and into the real world. I've placed a custom order with Qlavier for a case and plate for The 413 in his Quasi design. I think it looks damn good!

Stoked to start this project and to hear feedback about it. Let me know what you think about The 413 and if you have any suggestions for a budding handwirer.
;D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: The 413 - a handwired 13 columns ortho
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:31:52 »
Row 4 only moves half a column, usually it goes left but your ISO version goes right - no weirder for someone coming from a standard board, which must be weird anyway.

That case looks great and you have a specific layout plate and clear logical rows and columns so as handwire's go it's as simple as possible - if you're unsure do a little bit and post a pic (3x3 switches should be enough) and someone can correct any errors before you repeat them.

Enjoy the build :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ctrl

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:44:22 »
Row 4 only moves half a column, usually it goes left but your ISO version goes right - no weirder for someone coming from a standard board, which must be weird anyway.

That case looks great and you have a specific layout plate and clear logical rows and columns so as handwire's go it's as simple as possible - if you're unsure do a little bit and post a pic (3x3 switches should be enough) and someone can correct any errors before you repeat them.

Enjoy the build :)

Thanks! :)

That's how I reasoned as well. Coming from a daily use staggered ISO, I doubt shifting R4 right or left really matters that much. However, I understand those who are already used to ANSI/12 column orthos might find it awkward. Good thing then that QMK allows for whatever one's heart desires.

Once I get started I'll be sure to post updates. I'm considering using The Swiss Helper or a Postage Board to facilitate assembling the controller and the port. At least they seem easier to use.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:46:53 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:49:42 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline ctrl

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:54:44 »
some good articles:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87689.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6050&start=
https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/for-makers-and-modders/hand_wire

i've been looking at the postage board as well. would love to hear your thoughts, if you go that direction.

Thanks for compiling a list! :)

Yeah, if anyone who sees this has previous experience of the Postage Board or The Swiss Helper, I'd love to hear their thoughts on them too. I'll receive a Swiss Helper later, but I'm considering getting a Postage Board too because I'm unsure of how the fit will be.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 06:07:52 »
keeb.io has them in stock

do you have a cutout in your case for usb connector? where is it placed?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline VaclavKucera

• Helidox w/Halostotles | Planck r6 w/Blacks
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 07:19:10 »
Oh wow, didn't know you were getting the case from Qlavier, looks amazing!

I love the possibilities the extra column gives you, whether it's the extra ISO key for EU layouts, a dedicated right shift or a proper arrow cluster. The 1.5u spacebars also give you the functionality of the grid layout combined with the extra comfort and aesthetics of larger thumb keys.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 07:52:19 »
keeb.io has them in stock

do you have a cutout in your case for usb connector? where is it placed?

I think it follows Qlavier's Quasi case design and has the cutout in its standard top left position. I just asked to make sure though.

Oh wow, didn't know you were getting the case from Qlavier, looks amazing!

I love the possibilities the extra column gives you, whether it's the extra ISO key for EU layouts, a dedicated right shift or a proper arrow cluster. The 1.5u spacebars also give you the functionality of the grid layout combined with the extra comfort and aesthetics of larger thumb keys.

Hey! Thanks for all the support! Yeah, I'm getting it from Qlavier and I'm feeling all the good feels about how it looks. It'd be great to get one into your hands after it's done. ;D

Offline nevin

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:46:15 »
the port on the postage board sits between two switches, so can go as far left as, between the 1st & 2nd column. (but obviously doesn't have to go over that far)

213970-0
from: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96805.msg2643917#msg2643917

the only other question would be the vertical alignment, and if your case is 3 sections (top, middle, bottom) or more layers. if more layers, you might be able to rearrange the layers to get the opening higher or lower to match up.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:03:30 »
the port on the postage board sits between two switches, so can go as far left as, between the 1st & 2nd column. (but obviously doesn't have to go over that far)

(Attachment Link)
from: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96805.msg2643917#msg2643917

the only other question would be the vertical alignment, and if your case is 3 sections (top, middle, bottom) or more layers. if more layers, you might be able to rearrange the layers to get the opening higher or lower to match up.

I've seen that pic before and it has me concerned a little. I don't know if it's just the angle, but the Postage Board PCB doesn't appear to be aligned with the plate, but sticking outside by just a few mm. I wonder how it'll fit inside the case. I hope it'd work because it looks like it could really facilitate the building process.

The port is just an open cutout. I'll have some pics of it soon.

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 20:05:31 »
I don't know if it's just the angle, but the Postage Board PCB doesn't appear to be aligned with the plate, but sticking outside by just a few mm. I wonder how it'll fit inside the case. I hope it'd work because it looks like it could really facilitate the building process.

Its just the angle of the photo.  I designed the Postage Board so if you draw a 19.05mm box (the exact width of a key-space) around each switch, the edges of the Postage Board extends to exactly those lines.

I'm about to start another GB for the Postage Board, but its going to be smaller longitudinally, so you won't need to rotate switches on the 2nd row anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/gDTk4GJ.png

Offline ctrl

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 15:14:28 »
I don't know if it's just the angle, but the Postage Board PCB doesn't appear to be aligned with the plate, but sticking outside by just a few mm. I wonder how it'll fit inside the case. I hope it'd work because it looks like it could really facilitate the building process.

Its just the angle of the photo.  I designed the Postage Board so if you draw a 19.05mm box (the exact width of a key-space) around each switch, the edges of the Postage Board extends to exactly those lines.

I'm about to start another GB for the Postage Board, but its going to be smaller longitudinally, so you won't need to rotate switches on the 2nd row anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/gDTk4GJ.png

Oh hey! I was just thinking I should ask you in the Postage Board thread. Spoke a little with you there before some time ago. Thanks for letting me know!

The updated Postage Board sounds great! Count me in on that! I had completely forgotten about the issue with rotating the switches. Do you have an estimated date for the GB yet?

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:03:12 »
[quote author=ctrl link=topic=99638.msg2730854#msg2730854 date=1551561268
The updated Postage Board sounds great! Count me in on that! I had completely forgotten about the issue with rotating the switches. Do you have an estimated date for the GB yet?
[/quote]

No exact date for the Postage Board Mini GB.  I'm just prototyping a few of them in the next few days.  Just waiting for a batch of blank PCBs to come from China, and I'll be soldering up a few of them. 

If there are no concerns with the design, I'll start taking orders.

I'm going to have an online store running this time.  Last time I just manually invoiced people via Paypal, which was very time consuming, and the lack of a storefront turned a few people away. 

Offline ctrl

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:08:16 »
No exact date for the Postage Board Mini GB.  I'm just prototyping a few of them in the next few days.  Just waiting for a batch of blank PCBs to come from China, and I'll be soldering up a few of them. 

If there are no concerns with the design, I'll start taking orders.

I'm going to have an online store running this time.  Last time I just manually invoiced people via Paypal, which was very time consuming, and the lack of a storefront turned a few people away.

Sounds great! I hope everything goes well with prototyping and the new storefront and look forward to the drop! :thumb: